Vehicle Inspection in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Inspection in Houston

Anyone in know where in Houston I can have my inspection checked. I got a ticket for inspection being expired and Iv been to Mr. Sticker and Jiffy Lube. They both said that tinted tail lights and tint is a problem. Fucking problem is that Jiffy Lube did the inspection and then told me i failed so i had to pay. Fuckers. They said if i get all that fixed then they will pass me for free in 15 days. Im not gunna go pay to have my tint fixed and tail lights changed. So does anyone in Houston know of a place that will pass me?

Please help because i got my ticket on 08/25/06 and need the inspection done within 10days to have it dismissed.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Try "Sticker Stop" on Bellaire and 59. Just one suggestion. It's next to Taco Cabana across From Sharpstown Mall. Just talk to the guy who does the inspection and he might pass you for like $50 extra. I don't guarantee a pass because these shops are starting to be under a very strict and watchful eye from the Texas DPS. It's up to the shop to to pass you while covering their own ass as well. Good luck
Old 08-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why any business would risk their inspection license for a measly $50 is a mystery. In PA, we get an inspection sticker which includes the number of the place that did it. If a cop pulls you over for something that should have been found in an inspection, they can trace the number back to the place that passed it. Then the place gets nailed.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Advanced

RapidRepair

I always take mine to Rapid Repair, Rafie (the owner) is extremely nice, and easy. I'd bet he wouldn't care about about your tint.

They're located @ 3300 S. Dairy Ashford (by Richmond) Houston, TX 77082
281-5588-CAR
281-493-0088

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How dark is your window tint? Never understood tinted tail lights though, just my opinion. As hot as texas gets, I'm surprised they are super strict on tint unless you got 5% all around or something. Could you take off your front two door window tint and pass? At least that way, it won't cost much to retint...hassle, I know
Old 08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJITTY
How dark is your window tint? Never understood tinted tail lights though, just my opinion. As hot as texas gets, I'm surprised they are super strict on tint unless you got 5% all around or something. Could you take off your front two door window tint and pass? At least that way, it won't cost much to retint...hassle, I know

I have 15% on the front. I could take it off i guess. is it hard to take off. Also i still have the issue with the tailights. I have those ugly orange ones. I dont have the ones with clear part.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Instructor

iv done a search. Can someone give me a website to the best site to get the TL tailights with the clear signals. I need them ASAP

Anyone in houston selling?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by htowndepsi
I have 15% on the front. I could take it off i guess. is it hard to take off. Also i still have the issue with the tailights. I have those ugly orange ones. I dont have the ones with clear part.
From what I understand, there are several ways to remove tint. When you start peeling your front windows, the first layer is basically the tint, and the remaining layer is glue. When I had to remove my front windows while in Minnesota (anti-tint state), I peeled off the first layer. Then, got a small spray bottle and put in a little Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water. I then taped small hand towels to the bottom of the window (the part you rest your arm on while driving) and sprayed the gluey window letting it soak for 5 min or so each spray. I would then replenish the hot water and repeat 3 or 4 times. The glue will become very soft. I then sprayed Goo Gone on the window and it took off pretty much all the glue. After that, I just used invisible glass spray cleaner and the windows were as good as stock. Some tint shops use steam to take off the tint which is pretty effective too. You may find a shop that won't charge you much to strip and retint.

I just got my windows stripped and retinted by a guy here I've been dealing with for years. He charged me $160 for a complete tint strip and retint, but that is a "hook up" type price due to being a repeat customer.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Thanks. I want to just get the new taillights. the 2002 look. I found some for 160 plus 20 for shipping. Sounds good? What is all this i hear about needing a different harness. Is the origianl wireing bad? Im not sure why I need new harness. Do the new look lights not fit a 2000 TL?

Thanks for the help guys