UR pulleys and Tranny Cooler installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UR pulleys and Tranny Cooler installed

well, yesterday i finally got my UR pulleys installed at PAA and also volunteered to be the guinea pig for Jens installing a tranny cooler. everything seems to have gone well, the car still runs
and revs noticeable faster, complements of the pulleys. since it was raining yesterday, i couldnt really test the performance, but i was able to spin my tires for a few seconds in 1st on the highway going about 30mph, when i stopmped on the gas... i'll be going to englishtown as soon as weather allows, to test the 1/4, and if i see good gains, which i hope i will, i'll get a dyno done.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro

when u go to unorthodoxracing.com which pulley set do i purchase?????

ultra s - street crank
ultra ss - 3-piece pulley set
ultra a - 6-rib alternator
ultra a - 4-rib power steering

??????????????
Old 06-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Did you replace the Crank Pulley as well?? What if anything did Jens have to say about it? Also if you dont mind me asking, what was the install price?
Old 06-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by numbaonexstunna
when u go to unorthodoxracing.com which pulley set do i purchase?????

ultra s - street crank
ultra ss - 3-piece pulley set
ultra a - 6-rib alternator
ultra a - 4-rib power steering

??????????????
well.. the answer is the ultra ss 3 piece, BUT... after testing on the TL-S/CL-S, UR found out that the alternator pulley will not fit, from that set. so, u can either purchase only two of the pulleys - crank and power steering, or u buy the whole set, and they will send u the new alternator pulley as soon as they get the shipment in, they promise it will be by the end of June.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:03 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Did you replace the Crank Pulley as well?? What if anything did Jens have to say about it? Also if you dont mind me asking, what was the install price?
i replaced the crank pulley and the power steering pulley, see above answer for story on alternator pulley. Jens had nothing negative or positive to say, he just did it so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. i believe this is only the 2nd set he installed of the UR pulleys, the first being earlier in the week for my friend, he's on the board here as Fiddler. PAA charges 3hrs of labor for the pulley install for the whole kit, but since i only had two pulleys, it cost $160 - 2hr labor. is it a high price? yes... but i feel its worth it for a couple of reasons, but mainly because acura is installing it, so i don't have to worry about it being torqued to spec, or installed incorrectly.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:46 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
ZodiakTL -

Waiting with baited breath to hear how your runs go.

Also, let us know how the day-to-day drive-ability is.

Thanks -

RUF
Old 06-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Ruf87
ZodiakTL -

Waiting with baited breath to hear how your runs go.

Also, let us know how the day-to-day drive-ability is.

Thanks -

RUF
cant wait for those runs either
the day to day is excellent. the car idles much smoother now, and it drives much... uhm... easier... if u've installed the CAI, it feels kinda the same... it much free-er, u don't need to step on the gas as hard, and u get to the power band much faster, so it just feels more responsive.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what's the weight of the stock pulleys you replaced compared to the UR?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Closer
So what's the weight of the stock pulleys you replaced compared to the UR?
i weighed the stock pulleys on my bathroom scales, and the crank pulley comes out to 9lbs, while the power steering pulley is just about 2lbs. somone on the cl board weighed all the UR pulleys, and they add up to 850 grams, or 1.87lbs, so we're saving about 9lbs. with them. i think thats pretty impressive... and UR claims about 2.7hp gain per 1lb of weigh shed, so by that math, we should be getting 24.3hp gains all across the board... i doubt its that much, but we probably do get around 15hp or so... i'll wait till i dyno to see i guess... or someone else dynos.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Im from mississippi and want to know if the dealer installed the pulleys as I am considering purchasing some and am going to check with the dealer here. And will it affect warranty?
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by david27
Im from mississippi and want to know if the dealer installed the pulleys as I am considering purchasing some and am going to check with the dealer here. And will it affect warranty?
the dealer did install the pulleys - Park Ave. Acura, however, i do not know whether they would cover it under warranty. i know they honor Comptech parts, but something like this is probably outside of what they are willing to cover.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Racer

Hey Zodiac, do you have any power problems such as lower performing A/C or flashing electrical with your system on? Are your headlights dimmer?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:45 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by MoDzHuNgRy
Hey Zodiac, do you have any power problems such as lower performing A/C or flashing electrical with your system on? Are your headlights dimmer?
no problems whatsoever, A/C just as cold, and my ~1000Watt system still has no problems playing at full volume, lights are not dimmer, and battery is not dying....
Old 06-20-2002, 08:51 AM
Racer

I am holding off puting the UR pulleys in: READ this http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72503

and you know why....
Old 06-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Beiruty
I am holding off puting the UR pulleys in: READ this http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72503

and you know why....
I'm gonna have to agree with Beiruty on holding off. And I was so looking forward to putting those in. Oh well. Somethings are too good to be true.

Man are all the guys on the CL board that detailed? That guy did some major research. Props to him.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:53 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Beiruty

and you know why....
all of it looks like they have some very good points... since i already put the pulleys on, spending $160 for the install.. it'll cost me as much to change them back... i can wait for a little bit, since the damage that can be done to the engine seems to be measured in tens of thousands of miles... worst case scenario, i will keep the power steering pulley and the alternator pulley when UR comes out with it, and take off the crank pulley... either that, or if its proven with testing that the vibration with UR pulleys are greater than the vibration with stock pulleys, then i will get my money back from UR.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

all of it looks like they have some very good points... since i already put the pulleys on, spending $160 for the install.. it'll cost me as much to change them back... i can wait for a little bit, since the damage that can be done to the engine seems to be measured in tens of thousands of miles... worst case scenario, i will keep the power steering pulley and the alternator pulley when UR comes out with it, and take off the crank pulley... either that, or if its proven with testing that the vibration with UR pulleys are greater than the vibration with stock pulleys, then i will get my money back from UR.
any update?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by 1999TL

any update?
i've gone about 10k miles... car is running great... still idles much better than stock.. it looks like i'll actually be getting rid of the pulleys when the SC is finally out, cuz it replaces one as part of the kit, and requires the stock crank pulley to be on... so if neone is interested in a set of red UR pulleys, let me know
Old 03-31-2003, 02:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

question for ya... how much did the install run from parkave?