ups came, snap of whats to come

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yo looks sick..i always like how projectors look....but they eat up the light too much...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Always a Honda =Þ

op what do you think for my own retro?

so i had these old headlights decided to rip dem apart....got these 4 projectors out of them.... im thinkin the lil ones in the corner and the big ones for the low...only thing is you are working on the newer headlight and i hav a 2000 headlight....which has that ugly lamp for the low..will i be able to take that lamp out ???whats the deal with it?..

this is the headlight light opened

the four projectors

big projectors split open

chipped edges...does it matter?

whats this metal for???? does it help out?...block light?...what?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that metal is for the cutoff line. check out these forums. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/. very handy. A lot of people on the forums mods that metal piece. I may end up doing that as well. Your best option to determine if the lens are still good is to just test it out. It will show you how clear your cutoff line is. Worst comes, you can order some nice clear lens off a site or ebay. What kind of projectors are those? the smaller one doesnt even look like projectors, looks more like a turn signal. But you have a good start, its really not that hard.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Always a Honda =Þ

these are projectors headlights for a 93 accord..is was $250 on ebay way back when i bought it...didnt light up much tho....it had a super white regular H1 bulb...but what you think droppin the H1 35w or 55w Kit... should be better rite...but what do you say about the 2000 lamp...its dif den what you hav...you hav a reflector
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
is the metal piece that is used for a cut off line supposed to be on the top or the bottom?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

whoa dude, i wouldnt use those projectors. For one, they arent even made for HIDs so its not going to look at great but it would be better then stock imo. Might as well try it since you have them laying around.

Rajca- the projector lens reverses the cut off line. so if you were to look out of the lens from the inside, things will be upside down.

Here is a picture of a custom shield a member off hidplanet made.

and here is the outcome.....simply amazing.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
^ DOOO ITT!!!! haha
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

dayum...you aint kiddin looks amazing..

Originally Posted by fobstylez
whoa dude, i wouldnt use those projectors. For one, they arent even made for HIDs so its not going to look at great but it would be better then stock imo. Might as well try it since you have them laying around.

theres som made for hid?? damn i thought they all the same shyt....when i had the accord it had a perferct cut off line....jus not that bright...no glare what so ever....and it has adjusters too....whats the concern?

Rajca- the projector lens reverses the cut off line. so if you were to look out of the lens from the inside, things will be upside down.
ye the projector is like a spoon....
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jterrorc

theres som made for hid?? damn i thought they all the same shyt....when i had the accord it had a perferct cut off line....jus not that bright...no glare what so ever....and it has adjusters too....whats the concern?
There arent huge differences if you were to eye an hid projector vs a halogen projector. The bowl is different and the cutoff shield is different. The bowl shapes the beam and the cutoff shield determines what light is let through. If you are really hardcore you can make custom cutoff shields that will allow more/sharper/better light to get through, but it is very time consuming to "tweak it" to perfection. You can also change the projector lens. This is easier than modifying the shield, but it does take a little custom tweaking to make a clear lens fit as there are none that are the exact same dimensions as the OEM lens. The OEM lens is maybe 90% clear, but it has tiny "lines" going through it which obscure the output slightly and make the color you can produce less intense.

Here is why the shield is on the bottom, if you glance at the lens, it flops things around.

Here are examples of OEM HID vs. Halogen. HID on the left, halogen on the right.

The OEM Halogen & HID projector assemblies are set from the factory to output light as specified and to not blind traffic (obviously) One of the purposes of projector modification is to adjust the spacing to allow for a sharper cutoff. Most OEM projectors have a fuzzy/hazy cutoff, this is done mostly to protect oncoming traffic because a sharper cutoff is going to produce intense colors - and looks pretty sweet - but will be more irritating to traffic say if you are constantly driving on bumpy roads causing your lights to bounce up and down into oncoming eyes.

The pictures are off another forum btw.

Last edited by fobstylez; 05-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
looks sweet.

but you basically cant see anything 6 inches outside the lane your in? looks like a slender line of sight
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
looks sweet.

but you basically cant see anything 6 inches outside the lane your in? looks like a slender line of sight
Not sure what you mean but if you ever have driven next to someone with a nice set of hid projectors, they are wide. s2k projectors are just insane, they have great width. First time I saw a set I was amazed, too bad they costs so damn much.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
The Dumb One

Not sure what you mean but if you ever have driven next to someone with a nice set of hid projectors, they are wide. s2k projectors are just insane, they have great width. First time I saw a set I was amazed, too bad they costs so damn much.
i mean since the point of projectors is to take all of the lighting power from the bulbs and focus them to a more specific area, wouldnt the benefit of having HID headlights kind of be reduced as far as up, down, left and right.

basing off of the picture above. his lights shoot 50 yards no problem. but the light barely goes outside the width of the car.

your gaining visibility in the area's where the projectors are pushing the light. but its basically midnight in the area's where those less lighted area's used to be.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

i mean since the point of projectors is to take all of the lighting power from the bulbs and focus them to a more specific area, wouldnt the benefit of having HID headlights kind of be reduced as far as up, down, left and right.

basing off of the picture above. his lights shoot 50 yards no problem. but the light barely goes outside the width of the car.

your gaining visibility in the area's where the projectors are pushing the light. but its basically midnight in the area's where those less lighted area's used to be.
that must be a bad angle cause I have never seen a set of acura/honda projectors lose to regular hid housing either in distance nor width. But with the projectors, you shouldnt be losing anything. I can tell you when i'm done with my retros, it should beat out my stock housing. Since when do you drive your car sideways? you go forward dont you? Plus if you look at the picture you are referring to, look at the beam on the ground, the picture does not show the lighting on the ground well, even the beam in front of it. Until I finish my project I cant justify how he did his retro, I was showing you the picture to represent the custom shield, not to show the light output. If you want to see how it looks on the ground a better picture. I drive the freeway often and need better output.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
The Dumb One

that must be a bad angle cause I have never seen a set of acura/honda projectors lose to regular hid housing either in distance nor width. But with the projectors, you shouldnt be losing anything. I can tell you when i'm done with my retros, it should beat out my stock housing. Since when do you drive your car sideways? you go forward dont you? Plus if you look at the picture you are referring to, look at the beam on the ground, the picture does not show the lighting on the ground well, even the beam in front of it. Until I finish my project I cant justify how he did his retro, I was showing you the picture to represent the custom shield, not to show the light output. If you want to see how it looks on the ground then google it.
drive sideways

no but a 12 year old on a bike not paying attention crossing the road would be a night to remember with the oh so cool forward distance lighting? yea? or something as simple as not seeing a drop off on the side of the road or a curb thats not in direct sight.

im not bashing. i just noticed that it completely cuts off with no taper. the tapered area's are the ones that could save you or somebody else's life. and i wasnt aware that projectors took that away.

sorry for the OT fob

looks cool afterall.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 05-13-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
The Dumb One

just to clear it up.. this is the area i was talking about...

projectors...

again its cool if you dont need it. just wanted to make sure we were on the same page
Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

This looks pretty wide to me, if you dont like it, you dont have to do it man.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM
The Dumb One

whatever you say didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings. just asked a simple question have fun.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
slow tl..

just to clear it up.. this is the area i was talking about...

projectors...

again its cool if you dont need it. just wanted to make sure we were on the same page
those look like crappy ebay projectors for an accord
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gfrg88
those look like crappy ebay projectors for an accord
yea i was thinking that too, has no color to it. Looks like regular projectors with hid plug n play.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Always a Honda =Þ

if i were to do the retro i wouldnt care about how wide....my fogs would den come into play....and a kid on bike at nite.....uhh...he would def see a car with bright lights coming....retros jus looks sweet man...i wanna see Stylez finish work....Stylez, you should put one side the retro and one side the stocks....and take pics all around....see whats up you know...but if you opend both up already 4get it i guess..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jterrorc
if i were to do the retro i wouldnt care about how wide....my fogs would den come into play....and a kid on bike at nite.....uhh...he would def see a car with bright lights coming....retros jus looks sweet man...i wanna see Stylez finish work....Stylez, you should put one side the retro and one side the stocks....and take pics all around....see whats up you know...but if you opend both up already 4get it i guess..
I agree with you 100% here. Last night, I got out of my car and I dont know what he is talking about because my stockies are not any better then what he showed. But when I turn on my HID fogs, that is super wide. I'm hoping I can get my shrouds by this weekend so I can have some pictures on sunday. Thanks for the feedback man. I'll take your advice and do half retro and have stock to show the difference.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
The Dumb One

^^ i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and good luck with the build.

there's no need to take offense when somebody raises a question though. its just headlights man. i just said what makes sense to me. if your lights defy the odds or somehow are built better, then so be it. good job. but lets not get flustered over nothing. never even said i didnt like them

kudos for being different.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

hey rockstar, we are all members of this forum so I'm going to take your word that most projectors isnt that wide. I'll go ahead and finish one side and if it doesnt project like you said, ill widen the projector angle. Because lets assume you are right, If I can fix that issue then I will give you props, no doubt. Thanks for the kudos man.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
The Dumb One

hey rockstar, we are all members of this forum so I'm going to take your word that most projectors isnt that wide. I'll go ahead and finish one side and if it doesnt project like you said, ill widen the projector angle. Because lets assume you are right, If I can fix that issue then I will give you props, no doubt. Thanks for the kudos man.
just lookin out man.. didnt want you to put in tons of work and lose your light.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I understand man, thanks for looking out. hows the black roof cover? Shit, i saw a silver E55 benzo yesterday with a black roof, looks sick as hell
Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
The Dumb One

holding up like the day i put it on. shoulda seen the masacre of a roof i had before covering it.

the look has grown on me enough to want to paint it soon.
im really antsy to put on these FPR headlights i've gotten painted recently, just dont have alot of time to tear the front end down with work.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

do you hav that film one your roof???....i seen that on civic couple times...but never look into it...so you like it?...how you do it...
Old 05-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

ok so I got my shroud today. I spent a butt load of time after work to try to complete as best I could. Let me tell you this was the longest process of the whole damn retro! it was a big PITA!

Here are the shrouds

Here is a close up, somewhat

They are a lot larger then expected

So I had to bust out my dremel

After dremeling for a while, almost 2 hours actually, I finally got it right.

Sexxxxxy!

here is the final result

Honestly, I dont like the outcome. I think I have to take it apart and paint the inner housing of the headlights and leave the shroud chrome. That way it will flow better with the highbeam area. Hope that makes sense.

I did not take any output pictures, I'll probably do that sometime this weekend. Man, that shroud took so long that I'm freaking tired. I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow, its going to be a nice day.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Always a Honda =Þ

ye man retros look sick with low beam all black...you dont really need the reflector anymore...the beam goes str8 out...i think everytin allll black cept the high beam reflector and corner stock but clr..but w.e floats your canoe....projector loooks much better den stock ...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 AM
(ಠДಠ)

projectors are yummy

I wanna see somone put in projectors for just the high beam/drl spot of our headlights cuz it's actually round... and keep the low beams stock, then switch out the drl lights so it turns on with the low beam at night. 5000k in the low beams and 3000k projector DRL's
Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

yo stylez any updates?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

yea i'll post pictures when I get home tonight. I completed the passenger side, I painted around my shroud, now when I get off my ass I need to take apart the drivers side again to redo. My build on the passenger was way better. I spent more time on it. here are some pictures I took about a week ago. I'm going to hold off on the output until I can get it aligned correctly plus I'm still waiting on my new bulbs to come in. Overall, very simple except for the shroud install. Its hard getting that sucka on there properly.

Theres the passenger side, I taped up the high beam area so I can paint the housing, then mounted the projector.

Here is a bad quality of the rear.

After you bolt it on, it doesnt move, so I ended up putting silicon around the back to fill in the gap. Then I painted the back all black to match better, even though you would never see it.

Here is a picture of the shroud on. I brought it to work to tweak somewhat.

Here is the front back on, these covers are foggy and dirty as F, I need to polish them down.

Thats all I have for now. I'll try to update the pictures on the car tonight, been really busy with work and other things. So My passenger side is painted black around the shroud but the drivers side is chrome. boooo.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

overall, I think I did a decent job, but not a good job. I will probably make another set later on down the road and figure out how I can mount the shroud better. Most sites does not post how they mounted it but just how they got the projector on there. I say overall maybe 85% satisfied with my build but next time around I will make it 100% bad ass. Btw, my old black housing will be on ebay.