Updated 5AT Transmission Launch Date

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Updated 5AT Transmission Launch Date

Can someone please tell me when the "updated" 5AT transmissions became avaliable for the dealerships to install?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:12 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
Can someone please tell me when the "updated" 5AT transmissions became avaliable for the dealerships to install?

Thanks.
i think it was february of last year. don't quote me on that though.

SSTS
Old 04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
From my understanding the parts came available in feb 05
Old 04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the differences between the "updated" transmission from the dealer? I had my transmission replaced before February 2005. Should I go back and get it replaced again with an "updated" one?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

there are supposed to be different plates for the clutches and a different shaft. And you cant just walk in and ask for it to be replaced with a new one. Yours has to be toast for them to do it
Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

I bought my 2000 TL from my friend who was a mechanic at Acura and he replaced the transmission by himself before February 2005. It turns out that since he did it himself, the Acura database states that I did not perform the transmission recall. Hence, I still get notices in the mail about coming in to the dealership and getting my transmission replaced. I have been ignoring it because of the hassle and the fact that they would just put in the same junk as before, but maybe this "updated" transmission will be better.

Thanks for the fast response!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by monkiboy48
I bought my 2000 TL from my friend who was a mechanic at Acura and he replaced the transmission by himself before February 2005. It turns out that since he did it himself, the Acura database states that I did not perform the transmission recall. Hence, I still get notices in the mail about coming in to the dealership and getting my transmission replaced. I have been ignoring it because of the hassle and the fact that they would just put in the same junk as before, but maybe this "updated" transmission will be better.

Thanks for the fast response!!!
The recall isnt to replace the tranny. Its for a intirely different thing. And like i said before ,acura wont replace it unless there is something wrong with it, and it doesnt matter if your friend replaced it or not.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you for helping me understand the issue.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks.

From what I was told, the updated transmissions were avaliable after the oil jet recall bulletin was released ???

From my understanding, the updated transmissions had the internal oil jet revision, thus the updated transmission did not need an oil jet to be installed. (one covering fill hole)

If the updated transmission launched in 2/05, then all of the '04 TLs would have the failure-prone transmissions, which I don't think is the case.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Thanks.

From what I was told, the updated transmissions were avaliable after the oil jet recall bulletin was released ???

From my understanding, the updated transmissions had the internal oil jet revision, thus the updated transmission did not need an oil jet to be installed. (one covering fill hole)

If the updated transmission launched in 2/05, then all of the '04 TLs would have the failure-prone transmissions, which I don't think is the case.
The '04 and up TL's are using drive-by-wire throttle and diferent engine management system. So the 3rd gen TL transmissions won't have the same 3rd gear clutch pack failure as for the 2nd gen.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The '04 and up TL's are using drive-by-wire throttle and diferent engine management system. So the 3rd gen TL transmissions won't have the same 3rd gear clutch pack failure as for the 2nd gen.

Que'? What does DBW and a different EMS have to do with a physical clutch pack in the transmission?

They have a different stereo and oh wait, they have a different steering wheel. Maybe that's why they don't have tranny failures.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks.

They changed the parts again in feb of 05 and also the oil jet was built in. (not sure if the trans case is any different???
Old 05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Que'? What does DBW and a different EMS have to do with a physical clutch pack in the transmission?

They have a different stereo and oh wait, they have a different steering wheel. Maybe that's why they don't have tranny failures.
Dont for get they have bluetooth also.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Let me repeat what I have said numerous times before inside various transmission-related threads.

The majority of the 2nd gen transmission failures is related to the internal 3rd gear clutch pack which is slowly coming apart due to overheating and inadequet lubricant cooling. The small broke-off pieces then further block the filter and also the already insuficient oil passageways, thereby creating more and more heat and resulting in terminal tranny failure.

According to the official tranny failure investigation report (which was first published on the Acura-CL tranny forum a few years back) submitted by Honda to the NHTSA, overheating was the culprit to the 3rd gear clutch failure. Some 3rd gear clutch plates were found to be out of tolerance. Tests conducted by Honda revealed that repeated 3/4 to full throttle 2rd to 3rd gear upshifts as well as 5th to 3rd gear downshifts would raise the tranny internal temperature by some alarmingly huge number. Compounded by the inadequet fluid flow rate inside the tranny, the 3rd gear clutch pack would become cooked and disintegrated after a period of time.

Initially Honda replaced failed trannies with rebuillt units using (better tolerance) 3rd gear clutch plates, more oil passageways to increase cooling, etc. However, these rebuilt units continues to fail the same way. So later on, tranny replacement also included replacing the PCM which contained revised software program. Then repeated tranny failures dropped considerably, but is still happening at a much lesser rate.

Below is all my speculation from what Honda has done so far.

In order to reduce the heat generated from the full throttle 2-3 upshift and 5-3 downshift, the engine output has to be reduced considerably during the gear disengage/engage periods. The revised PCM program functions to retard the ignition timing and modify the fuel injection timing to reduce the engine output. However, since the throttle is mechanical, the throttle plate is still wide open when the driver presses the throttle pedal to the floor. Once the throttle plate is wide open, intake air flow is at the maximum. There is only so much that the timings can be retarded (which is evidently not enough) while the mechanical throttle is forced wide open and sucking in maximum volume of air when trying desperately to reduce engine output.

But with drive-by-wire throttle system, even if the throttle pedal is pressed to the floor, the PCM has full control of the throttle opening electronically, and can reduce or shut off the opening completely to effectively reduce engine output to a safe level during "fatal" shifts. As a result, the 3rd gen tranny is not going to have the same heat related failures as in the 2nd gen tranny.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Let me repeat what I have said numerous times before inside various transmission-related threads.

The majority of the 2nd gen transmission failures is related to the internal 3rd gear clutch pack which is slowly coming apart due to overheating and inadequet lubricant cooling. The small broke-off pieces then further block the filter and also the already insuficient oil passageways, thereby creating more and more heat and resulting in terminal tranny failure.

According to the official tranny failure investigation report (which was first published on the Acura-CL tranny forum a few years back) submitted by Honda to the NHTSA, overheating was the culprit to the 3rd gear clutch failure. Some 3rd gear clutch plates were found to be out of tolerance. Tests conducted by Honda revealed that repeated 3/4 to full throttle 2rd to 3rd gear upshifts as well as 5th to 3rd gear downshifts would raise the tranny internal temperature by some alarmingly huge number. Compounded by the inadequet fluid flow rate inside the tranny, the 3rd gear clutch pack would become cooked and disintegrated after a period of time.

Initially Honda replaced failed trannies with rebuillt units using (better tolerance) 3rd gear clutch plates, more oil passageways to increase cooling, etc. However, these rebuilt units continues to fail the same way. So later on, tranny replacement also included replacing the PCM which contained revised software program. Then repeated tranny failures dropped considerably, but is still happening at a much lesser rate.

Below is all my speculation from what Honda has done so far.

In order to reduce the heat generated from the full throttle 2-3 upshift and 5-3 downshift, the engine output has to be reduced considerably during the gear disengage/engage periods. The revised PCM program functions to retard the ignition timing and modify the fuel injection timing to reduce the engine output. However, since the throttle is mechanical, the throttle plate is still wide open when the driver presses the throttle pedal to the floor. Once the throttle plate is wide open, intake air flow is at the maximum. There is only so much that the timings can be retarded (which is evidently not enough) while the mechanical throttle is forced wide open and sucking in maximum volume of air when trying desperately to reduce engine output.

But with drive-by-wire throttle system, even if the throttle pedal is pressed to the floor, the PCM has full control of the throttle opening electronically, and can reduce or shut off the opening completely to effectively reduce engine output to a safe level during "fatal" shifts. As a result, the 3rd gen tranny is not going to have the same heat related failures as in the 2nd gen tranny.
the only true fix is to make the clutch packs larger (which they cant) and increase fluid to cool.