UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
^ Considering you are in Portland you seem to be the perfect choice, although I highly doubt they are going to start any R&D on another CL/TL groupbuy until they get all of our bugs worked out.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what bugs??
Old 07-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

:search:

There are thousands of threads on A-CL about the problems we are having. You should read up on it before you start jumping into thinking you'll be the one getting the map/free chip. UniChip is real busy right now with the CL-S/TL-S problems and I doubt they will bother starting any new program on the TL-P for quite some time.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Instructor

when i am volenterring am i going till the all the bugs are worked out or just a one time shot?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Team Owner

READ THE A-CL DISCUSSION THREADS!

The original map worked for some cars and strangely didn't work on others. So even if they have your car running 100% and making power it might not, and most likely won't work for everyone else involved throughout the country.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Instructor

sorry for not reading the threads.. i go and read them now.. hey steve.. heh man thanks for that back up with the little kid
Old 07-21-2004, 09:23 AM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRX is a good example actually...forget the launch...once its moving it still gets good times my point was based on their trannys/drivetrain and how theirs is made for performance and ours for smoothness and how performance is not more power like your thinking.

Project TL: keep us informed, you da man!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Instructor

hey guys im going to mexico in august for 1 week i think that is the prime time to let them use my car. i hope the second week of august is not too late.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Project_tl
when i am volenterring am i going till the all the bugs are worked out or just a one time shot?
It usually takes about a week for Unichip to do the mapping of the chip. Let us know if that works for you and we will arrange for you to go down there.

Please list your mods also. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Instructor

i am going somewhere the august 9-14 so i can drop off the car before hand..
can i get a contract written up that everything will be in working order when i receive that car and that they are liable for damages.. and i heard you get a unichip for free? can i get 2 i have 2 tlz.. i think i can drop it off the 8th or something

mods>
k&n drop in filter..
if you guys want i can put back the oem filter..
i have cat backs but i think i will leave them off
Old 07-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

I would suggest someone else have the tune done considering your are basically bone stock. If someone uses the map programed off of your car on their TL-P that has an intake, headers, and exhaust the chip will most likely not work correctly.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Instructor

hmm yeah i thought it would be better to test a bone stock.. well i can get intake and the comptechs on but not headers..
Old 07-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

If you are bone stock and most other people who buy the UniChip are bone stock then the chip will benefit those people; hopefully... there have been problems.

Our cars are EXTREMELY sensitive to temperature, timing, and Air/Fuel mixtures. Adding bolt ons like headers WILL DEFINITLY make a huge difference when it comes to A/F. Many people involved in the Type-S groupbuy are having trouble with lean conditions.

Being completely 100% serious here guys... please please please do yourself a favor and hold off on your groupbuy until the problems with the Type-S UniChip are solved.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsteve
If you are bone stock and most other people who buy the UniChip are bone stock then the chip will benefit those people; hopefully... there have been problems.

Our cars are EXTREMELY sensitive to temperature, timing, and Air/Fuel mixtures. Adding bolt ons like headers WILL DEFINITLY make a huge difference when it comes to A/F. Many people involved in the Type-S groupbuy are having trouble with lean conditions.

Being completely 100% serious here guys... please please please do yourself a favor and hold off on your groupbuy until the problems with the Type-S UniChip are solved.
I agree with your last stmt. All the bugs should be worked out of the system before we start another group buy. I certainly don't want to be in the TL-S/CL-S guys position - you blow $700 (?) and not get the performance. That would be a huge rip off! Just wondering Mr Steve: does Unichip provide a refund if you are not satisfied with the results? Just wondering...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by patrick
Just wondering Mr Steve: does Unichip provide a refund if you are not satisfied with the results? Just wondering...
Absolutely not. The chip WILL work on all cars. It is only a matter of tuning. UniChip will tweak the fuel map until they get it right but they will not take back the product.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Racer

Yeah I agree. With all of the different setups we have it is going to be very difficult to get a chip that will benefit us all equally. The only thing I can think is maybe having a map for stock setups and a map for intakes. Without a large group of people with the same setups we would have to keep the maps pretty basic.....IMHO. Lets just wait to see what happens with the S type peeps before we proceed.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Minor changes like an intake or underdrive pulleys won't make a big difference. But the combination of I/H/E would greatly change the fuel map over a stock map.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Instructor

i got injen cold air
Old 07-21-2004, 04:04 PM
@ slide or die @

lean conditions eh?!?!?! thats very bad... = boom...bye bye engine.

Project, look at it this way, since you are getting the chip for free, you should spen the $700 the chip was gonna cost you and get the mods before the mapping, either way your still saving around $700.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by etxxz
lean conditions eh?!?!?! thats very bad... = boom...bye bye engine.
Not quite buddy. If the ECU senses a lean condition it will retard timing to prevent detonation; our cars do have a knock sensor. It's not like we are running high amounts of forced induction; actually no one with the UniChip is running FI other than one or two members with nitrous. Lean = more power. Too lean = no increase in power due to retarded timing.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:47 AM
Instructor

im looking at obx headers.. i have a cat back and an injen intake.. i think thats as much as i can afford right now..
Old 07-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Team Owner

That is fine, the gains from the OBX headers are close to that of the Comptech ones... they should be; they stole Comptech's design :P
Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not quite buddy. If the ECU senses a lean condition it will retard timing to prevent detonation; our cars do have a knock sensor. It's not like we are running high amounts of forced induction; actually no one with the UniChip is running FI other than one or two members with nitrous. Lean = more power. Too lean = no increase in power due to retarded timing.
Quick question: if it's too lean, can't we just add a fuel pressure regulator or add new injectors? More air with more fuel, means more power right? Or am I missing something here?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by patrick
Quick question: if it's too lean, can't we just add a fuel pressure regulator or add new injectors? More air with more fuel, means more power right? Or am I missing something here?

First, a fuel pressure regulator will not help add more fuel. The amount of fuel that can be delivered is limited by injector size.

Currently there are no aftermarket injectors that are a direct swap into the J32A, although an A-CL member is currently trying to modify the injector bases to allow for larger injectors.

And lastly, the UniChip lacks the ability to control additional injectors. This is something that the GReddy E-Manage can accomplish though. But the trade off is, the GReddy unit can't directly control ignition timing.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

First, a fuel pressure regulator will not help add more fuel. The amount of fuel that can be delivered is limited by injector size.

Currently there are no aftermarket injectors that are a direct swap into the J32A, although an A-CL member is currently trying to modify the injector bases to allow for larger injectors.

And lastly, the UniChip lacks the ability to control additional injectors. This is something that the GReddy E-Manage can accomplish though. But the trade off is, the GReddy unit can't directly control ignition timing.
Thx for the clarification. I will pm you with additional questions that are somewhat off topic. Thx.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro

Just a heads up you guys, if we need another "test" car I can loan mine out for a while. Just CAI, otherwise stock. Groupbuy anyone? Lets get it all together so WE can get hooked up! I'll keep the thread on bookmark...
Old 07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Just to let you all know... about 60-70% of you all will need to have a CUSTOM tune performed on your chip AFTER the groupbuy at YOUR OWN cost. Either that or UniChip may need to modify the fuel map to correct a lean condition. Changes from car to car are very great when it comes to fuel mixtures on the stock ECU in the CL/TL. Only a handful of people out of 30+ have been satisfied wtih the UniChip right out of the box... and 4 of them had their on UniChip's dyno for additional tweaks here and there. I had a custom tune done at a local shop and I am now satisfied with the result.

The original chip cost us $608. 1-hour dyno rental cost me $135. After the dyno I showed no gains at all; just a rise by 2 points on my A/F ratio. After going back for a custom tune, another $235, the UniChip is providing me with great gains. This is an expensive modification and for all of you who don't have headers yet I would advise you to purchase them first... you will "feel" a greater increase in power from the headers.

Also, the gains from the UniChip are hard to feel on the butt dyno because they are so linear... the gains start down low and stay consistant throughout the powerband. A 5-10 whp gain from 2500-6500 RPM might not be felt by each individual driver. Although on a dyno or down the 1/4 mile an improvement will be felt. Because of this, the only way to see if the UniChip is working for you is to have a dyno test performed to monitor the A/F ratio under WOT conditions. Not to mention the check engine light problems you may encounter.

I'm very happy I purchased the UniChip for my CL-S... I just want you all to know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING before you start jumping on board for this. Don't get your hopes up on purchasing a magical chip. Most ECU controllers will only get you 5-10 whp on a N/A car.

If I only had a CAI and I had the $600-700 for the UniChip I'd be spending my money on headers and UR pulleys. Much more noticable gains. The UniChip is for people who desire every last ounce of power from their N/A TL/CL.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:27 AM
O.G.

Just let me know when everything is ready to order.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Instructor

i talked to someone at a preformance shop, they said they can make the unichip with 2 modes. so 2 seaperate mappings is that true? like one stock and then one with all the aftermaket parts.. so do you guys want me to get the obx headers?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Team Owner

yes it is true about the 2 maps... i'll explain later... gotta go to work
Old 07-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Racer

Since the CL GB did not go so well with the mapping issues, I think we should have one map created for stock TL-P's and one map created for TL-P's w/ CAI just to keep it simple. Those who have headers or are getting headers in the future can get a custom tune done at that point. Let me know what you think.

BTW, here is the list so far. If any changes need to be made let me know.

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
moahdriven
Tatewaki
ProjectTL Volunteer 8/9-8/14
PDX3.2TL Volunteer

Maybes:
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick
jayhawk815
Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Elementz
Since the CL GB did not go so well with the mapping issues, I think we should have one map created for stock TL-P's and one map created for TL-P's w/ CAI just to keep it simple. Those who have headers or are getting headers in the future can get a custom tune done at that point. Let me know what you think.
Elementz, I recomended earlier in the thread, for us to get a fiel for what's the most popular mod combo among TL-P owners. I'm sitting on the third option.

1.Stock
2.CAI
3.CAI & Headers
4.CAI, Headers and Exhaust (CAT or AXLE)
5. I/H/E + FI ?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Elementz, I recomended earlier in the thread, for us to get a fiel for what's the most popular mod combo among TL-P owners. I'm sitting on the third option.

1.Stock
2.CAI
3.CAI & Headers
4.CAI, Headers and Exhaust (CAT or AXLE)
5. I/H/E + FI ?
Understood. But again, the more variables/mods we add into the mapping process the less likely we are to have good out-of-the-box results (as evidenced by the CL group buy). Not only that, but our two volunteers have a stock TL-P and a TL-P with CAI. Unichip can only map for what the volunteer(s) have installed. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Project_tl
i talked to someone at a preformance shop, they said they can make the unichip with 2 modes. so 2 seaperate mappings is that true? like one stock and then one with all the aftermaket parts...

Yes the UniChip comes with 2 different maps. One is a "street" map and the other is a "race" map. The street map was designed to be used everyday, whatever gas is reccomended for your car. On turbo cars, the "street" map keeps stock boost levels, etc.

The "race" map was supposed to advance timing greater to make more power but this required the use of 100+ octane unleaded fuel which is not legal to use on the street. On turbo cars, the "race" map can boost the turbo output.

Obviously our cars don't have turbos, but I just wanted to point out what the usual application of the "race" map is.

Since we had fuel map problems to begin with on the "street" map my custom tune was ONLY for the "street" map. I'll never use the "race" map.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro

Understood. But again, the more variables/mods we add into the mapping process the less likely we are to have good out-of-the-box results (as evidenced by the CL group buy). Not only that, but our two volunteers have a stock TL-P and a TL-P with CAI. Unichip can only map for what the volunteer(s) have installed. Let me know what you think.
Agree, you can't test what you don't have... Let's carry on!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:42 PM
i

BTW, here is the list so far. If any changes need to be made let me know.

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
moahdriven
Tatewaki
PDX3.2TL Volunteer

Maybes:
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick
jayhawk815
put me on the maybe list
Old 07-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Racer

Updated list as of 7/23/04:

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
Tatewaki
PDX3.2TL Volunteer

Maybes:
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick
jayhawk815
moahdriven
Old 07-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Advanced

I'm interested too - but I have concerns about how many issues there will be with the unichip in our cars. I'd be willing to be part of the SECOND GB, after you guinea pigs give it a try and let us know whether it is worthwhile or not. I've already put a lot of money into my car, and I love it just the way it is. I'm not looking for higher performance at the expense of more headache than I've already gone through to get this baby tweaked....

I'll be watching and waiting to see how the first GB goes.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jay.k
I'm interested too - but I have concerns about how many issues there will be with the unichip in our cars. I'd be willing to be part of the SECOND GB, after you guinea pigs give it a try and let us know whether it is worthwhile or not. I've already put a lot of money into my car, and I love it just the way it is. I'm not looking for higher performance at the expense of more headache than I've already gone through to get this baby tweaked....

I'll be watching and waiting to see how the first GB goes.

Cheers!

Jay

Unfortunately I doubt there will ever be a second group buy for either the TL-P or the Type-S. The purpose of the group buy is to give the first customers a great reduction in pricing and to be the first to experience the new mod. After the group buys pricing will most likely increase to above $700, close to $800. UniChip offered us EXCELLENT savings the first time around due to an impressive 30+ turnout. They normally don't offer the amount of savings we recieved in the Type-S group buy. If you are interested I suggest you sign up for this go around.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Advanced

For me, it's worth spending the extra ~$200 to know that it works and has some of the bugs worked out, instead of saving the money on a potentialy hair-pulling experience.....

Cheers!

Jay

Quick Reply: UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!