UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We could start the list of memeber interested at this time, we had 5 or 6 TL-P members over at A CL, maybe we can start with them, and those showing interest today, what do you think? I believe I pasted the list in the other post you started.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:07 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I NEED TO KNOW how long is this mapping process going to take...i was thinking on having this UNICHIP duds rent a TL for watever time it takes and ill even pay for it...im desperate for this mod.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the diff in JET and Unichip is that with JET it's permanent, while Unichip you can unplug it when you don't want it. I am leaning to Unichip since I can unplug it when say I go for emissions. but Jet I need to send back for them to undo the codes
Old 06-26-2004, 12:45 AM
O.G.

I am definitely down for a 99 TL w/4 gears. Keep me updated!
Old 06-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Instructor

So that means that 99's are able to use this chip?
If so, put me in the maybe list if there is.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:35 AM
i

yea throw me down as a maybe (towards a yes), might as well get this now if i eventually will later
Old 06-26-2004, 02:40 AM
i

yea I'm in. And hell, if no one around portland is willing to donate a car, maybe i'll jus take a trip up from LA (dont take that comment too seriously guys)
Old 06-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
Is this for the 00 - 03 TL-p's with 5 gears, and not for the '99 TL-P's with four gears?? Someone should specify.. I see people with '99's are interested but, IMO I think the 99's would have to be seperate order/unichip with another car needed for the template...
Great news! The chip will work for any 2nd gen. TL, 4 or 5 gears. Here is the response I got from Jack this weekend.

Ryan,

The computer is absolutely the same, the question is the harness and the maps. The on-line data we have indicates the harness will be identical so the only unknown is the mapping. Initial indications are they are also the same… so all in all I’d say yes they’ll use the same kit.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Cheers,

Jack

So there it is! Sorry I wasn't around this weekend. I was out of town. I will start to compile the list of people.....definites and maybe's.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by etxxz
I NEED TO KNOW how long is this mapping process going to take...i was thinking on having this UNICHIP duds rent a TL for watever time it takes and ill even pay for it...im desperate for this mod.
Great idea etxxz! If no one steps up to volunteer, I will see if they will do that. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Racer

If you should be listed in another section of the list, let me know and I will change your status. This was a first go at the list and if I wasn't sure of your intentions I placed you in the maybe category.

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
moahdriven

Maybes:
Tatewaki
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick

Keep it going fellas, we are getting there. Anyone checking with the CL-P guys yet?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro

I am in....

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
moahdriven
-Rz-UA5

Maybes:
Tatewaki
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro

Have you guys been over at A-CL? I'm reading some things about the UNICHIP performance, that's not too comforting, maybe they are jumping the gun at this point... It seems like more testing needs to be done in order to find the proper map setting for each vehicle, depending on the present mods.

Initiate a search on "UNICHIP" and let me know your thoughts...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Have you guys been over at A-CL? I'm reading some things about the UNICHIP performance, that's not too comforting, maybe they are jumping the gun at this point... It seems like more testing needs to be done in order to find the proper map setting for each vehicle, depending on the present mods.

Initiate a search on "UNICHIP" and let me know your thoughts...
Yes, it will be a few weeks before the CL guys have a definitive opinion on the chips performance gains. Some already have said they can feel a definite increase in power, while others have not seemed that impressed. One dyno result showed no gains at all, but the CL members seem to think that the gas he used was bad (he tried a 100+ octane type of fuel). He plans on doing more dynos in the near future. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the consensus is from the CL heads.

Worse case scenario is we can bag this deal if it looks like its not worth it. In the meantime we need to keep getting the word out. Has anyone notified the CL-P guys yet?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Racer

Lets ask Seattle Dale......Seattle can you provide an honest detailed summary of your initial impressions? It would be a huge help.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Racer

Yep, there are several CL guys that have said they feel 'significant' gains, while others are having some A/F ratio issues. Most importantly, Unichip has offered to remap the chips that are causing the car to run too lean at no charge. Thats a definite plus to see Unichip steppin up!

BTW, several of the CL guys are having dynos done this week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Drifting

well if you ask me i'm extremely happy. My tls seems to run much smoother & with much greater response. She feels as if she is pulling much harder, & goes through the gears very smoothly & gets to those gears in a hurry. To me its as if i got headers all over again. Just to let you know, there is trouble in paridise. Steve over at the cl forum had a dyno done using 100 octane racing gas on the "B" setting & claims the dyno recorded a 2 whp loss. There is another guygetting a dyno done in a few days. I'm very interested to see those results. Something is wrong here because i know its not my imagination. I definatley feel much improvement. To me it was well worth it. I'm really curious to see the improvments in the 1/4 mile times, that will tell us a lot. There are quite a few out of 35 that don't have the unichip installed yet, We will get much more feedback as the week progresses. You guys that are interested should tune in over @ the cl-forum & see what takes place in the next week or so, should be interesting. http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=25 Good luck guys & stay in touch
Old 06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro

Thanks for the feedback, we will!!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:48 PM
@ slide or die @

Elementz, if you can confirn that this unichip will give me good gains even with my already dynotuned vafc (+i/h/p), i'll change my status to definite... I just wanna make sure.

Tell the Unichip people to rent a TL, that I, if not "us", will pay for 100% of it AND so they pick it up right away withought any complaints, that ill pay whoever gets it 15cents per mile. (dealership to HERTZ -or dealership or watever place they use- and back)

Lets step up and ask them to start right away.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Racer

Elementz, if you can confirn that this unichip will give me good gains even with my already dynotuned vafc (+i/h/p), i'll change my status to definite... I just wanna make sure.

Tell the Unichip people to rent a TL, that I, if not "us", will pay for 100% of it AND so they pick it up right away withought any complaints, that ill pay whoever gets it 15cents per mile. (dealership to HERTZ -or dealership or watever place they use- and back)

Lets step up and ask them to start right away.
Wait etxxz, do you have all those mods? I thought I saw another post by you asking what a V-AFC was? I am not confirming anything at this point bro. I do know that the Unichip does reconfigure your A/F ratios (which a V-AFC does also) so I am not sure if they are compatible or if you would need to get your V-AFC re-tuned after the install. I will run it by Jack and see what he says.

In any event, we aint gettin 'chit unless more peeps sign on.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:32 PM
@ slide or die @

vafc questions where like 2months ago...i got it and it'll be tuned after i get my hands on a type-S throttle body. tru, tru, what else do the unichip and vafc share in common?
Check back after you ask Jack.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Advanced

what does this Uni chip do? From my understanding it modifies the fuel map whatelse?
Does it raise the rev limiter? Does it raise or get ride of the speed limiter? Well I have to use Higher octain fuel? Do I have to upgrade my thermostate? I need info more info please.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 AM
Advanced

hey i am in for sure if it works on a 03 TL-S, and have the same result, any one knows if it works on a 03 TLS?? thank you.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:34 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey guys, count me as a maybe for now. I want to hear more feedback and check my financial situation before committing. I'm always looking for ways to add hp, and if this produces the claimed gains, I'm definitely interested!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Racer

THIS IS A TL-P GB ONLY! READ THE THE THREAD TITLES PEOPLE! THE TL-S's HAD A JOINT GB WITH THE CL-S GUYS JUST A LITTLE WHILE AGO.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

Here is the updated list for the TL-P Unichip GB. We still need more peeps involved however.

Definites:
Elementz
El pana/TL32
Chucks TL
CBS
CrackPuppy
BlackShadow
moahdriven
Tatewaki

Maybes:
Sonnys 99TL
etxxz
69TL
AcuraTL99
patrick
jayhawk815
Old 07-01-2004, 04:32 PM
@ slide or die @

how many more? what did unichip say about chip and vafc dancing together?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

I'm in. My friend's 99 TL actually... He doesn't really know anything about computers or messages boards, but he told me he'll be glad to join the GB.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Quick question, when should i expect to pay for it and recieve it? I have a 99tl I am interested in the unichip i just dont have the cash right now...
Old 07-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elementz
THIS IS A TL-P GB ONLY! READ THE THE THREAD TITLES PEOPLE! THE TL-S's HAD A JOINT GB WITH THE CL-S GUYS JUST A LITTLE WHILE AGO.
If you need more peeps, recruit some cl-p people over @ acura-cl sight. Some of those guys were interested during the cls/tls group buy.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM
@ slide or die @

ill go and post it on a-cl...meanwhile ELEMENTZ: have you talked to unichip about vafc and chip possibilities?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Racer

Here is some information from Jack regarding the similarities and differences between the Unichip and V-AFC 2:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for all the info so far! Some of the TL-P guys are wondering what the difference is between the Unichip and Apexi's V-AFC 2. My understanding is that both remap your A/F ratios, but that is the extent of my knowledge. Can you describe a little about the common features they do and do not share? It would be a great help. Thanks again Jack.

Ryan Hunter

Ryan,

Thanks for the e-mail. There are quite a few differences between the two, and in fact they’re pretty much night and day products.

The Apexi unit is a fuel only controller which allows you to change VTEC. On the “plus” side for the Apexi unit, they give you a nice blue fluorescent display and it is “end-user” adjustable. On the “minus” side, it doesn’t control timing, can’t drive any other components (NOS, water injection, additional injectors, etc), it has to be hardwired into the car.

The Unichip PnP kit is a fuel and timing controller which can also adjust VTEC (although in both cases, moving VTEC on stock cam grinds is a waste of time and money). On the “minus” side, we don’t give you a display to look at and end-users can’t adjust the data points although they are tunable by a qualified tuner. Don’t kid yourself, however, that having the ability to adjust data points and being able to tune are very different. Without a wide-band lambda sensor and the ability to precisely stabilize the engine at the control points, tuning is a very tough proposition. While the Apexi unit has interpolated data points every 200 or 500 rpm (depending upon the product and which write up you read) the Unichip has interpolated data points every 31 rpm… that translates to much more precise control and a smoother, more powerful response. The Unichip comes as a Plug-n-Play kit which uses Acura connectors and snaps into the car in about 10 minutes. It’s also completely removable and leaves no trace it was there when removed… handy for warranty issues. The Unichip can provide progressive, integrated NO2 control, can control additional injectors for water injection, water spray, or fuel, can remove the roadspeed limiter, can drive shift lights, and a few other more specialized things. From what I saw, the Unichip will cost about $50 more, but there’s no install time or cost unlike the other unit.

Please let me know if I can answer any additonal questions.

Cheers,

Jack

I am still checking to see if they are compatible for use. I'll let you know.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

I helped run the GB over at A-CL and I tried to get a TL-P to volunteer but never had any takers.. But here's a list I had composed from our GB if a TL-P ever made it for testing..:

TL-P
1. Patrick (Once TLP version is ready)
2. El pana/TL32 (Once TLP version ready)
3. ChucksTL (Once TLP version ready)
4. BlackShadow (Once TLP version ready)
5. CBS (Once TLP version ready)
6. FixedTL (Once TLP version ready)
7. NightHawkBlack (Once TLP version ready)
Old 07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
My dyno from the UniChip on a CL-S. Don't look only at the PEAK gains. Look at the gains throughout the power band. Torque is definitely up in the low to mid range. The gains the chip provides, at least on the CL-S, are not going to be earth shattering. You might not even feel them on the "butt dyno" but on a DynoJet and at the track you will notice the gains by analyzing the numbers.

The UniChip comes packaged like this. Very professional:

Old 07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

The dyno I posted is after a custom tune. My car seemed to run extremely lean when the chip was first installed. I had a local shop that is a UniChip dealer do a custom program on my chip to maximize the gains I could see. More, extensive tuning is planned, but for right now these are the gains. This is for the "A" map. I have not tuned the "B" map. The customer service at UniChip is great, they answer your emails and are quick to solve problems (including the one we seem to be having currently). My car was running at an A/F ratio of 14+:1. Stock I was running around 12.0-12.5:1. The custom tune involved adding fuel (approximately 15%) back into the mixture. This lowered my A/F ratio closer to 13.5:1 where i'm told Honda's on the East Coast seem to run best. The cars that were available for tuning (2 of them) ran about 1.0:1 richer than my car in both stock and UniChip trim.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elementz
I am still checking to see if they are compatible for use. I'll let you know.
I don't see why you would want to use both units at the same time. The UniChip will do everything the Apexi can do except provide tuning by the user himself. Sure it doesn't have a nice blue display, but again... don't really need that. The UniChip fits under the carpet near the center console tunnel on the passenger side.

With cars like ours, there is no need to have "on the fly" tuning. None of us have custom cams, etc. that would require settings to be changed to optimize power under certain conditions.

Also, like all piggy-back computers, the UniChip only acts under wide open throttle (WOT) under open loop conditoins. An paragraph from my contact with UniChip:

...There are essentially no power changes happening at part load; the only power changes are at full throttle. Fuel can’t be changed in closed loop without big time problems and you don’t need the car to make more power at part throttle… you just push the pedal down when you want to go faster.

Don’t confuse full load/part load with rpm… anytime the car is at less than about full throttle, it’s in closed loop and it’s tuned for efficiency, mileage, and emissions. That’s true at all rpm; if you’re at redline and lift the throttle, the car is tuned for efficiency. Any time you’re at full throttle, regardless of rpm, the car is in open loop and is tuned for power. The entire dyno sheet you’re looking at after the run is done at full throttle/open loop but covers all rpm. Here’s where it gets tough to figure out what’s really going on when we talk with customers… the car doesn’t make any more power at 40% (for example) throttle regardless of what it feels like. It’s probably a bit smoother because of the extra data we’re adding, but it’s not making more power. The only valid “power feelings” occur with the pedal on the floor or very close to on the floor… regardless of rpm. When someone tells me the car makes more power at part throttle but not at full throttle, that simply isn’t the case...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
@ slide or die @

Thanks ELEMENTZ, but our/my question was a bit different. I wanted to know if i could use both together or would i have to remove the vafc?

Anyways, as i see it, both as doing the same thing exept the HUGE rpm mapping difference. the vafc can be used with NOS, i dont know about bigger injectors though. AND the vafc will come about 300 cheaper, but maibe $50 more for a dynotuno/hour (2 hours at most)

I'd like to know if the unichip DOES move the vtec point..."PnP kit is a fuel and timing controller which can also adjust VTEC"

It is not a waste of money on stock cam grinds though...its proven to majorly increase performance BUT you wont be saving any fuel...get some type S cams and you'll be happy. (junkyard)
Old 07-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Where have you seen that moving the VTEC point will has been "proven to majorly increase performance?" Maybe on other motors like B-series or the H22a, but not on the J32. Switching to the Type-S cams would make more power, but you would pay out the ass for the swap (parts, labor, and most importantly tuning).

It is possible for the UniChip to move the VTEC point, but doing so did not change power gains during inital R&D.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:11 AM
@ slide or die @

its not more power you'll get, its the distribution of power earlier thru the power band. It'll make better times not more hp. there was a thread not too long ago with this info.

performane its not just hp...consider the wrx, with 217hp it makes sick times -->awesome drivetrain
Old 07-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Team Owner

performane its not just hp...consider the wrx, with 217hp it makes sick times -->awesome drivetrain

The WRX is about the worst example you could have given. Good times from the WRX has nothing to do with "power earlier thru the power band."

AND...

Obviously you've never seen a WRX at the track or understand why it is possible for it to get great times with so much less horsepower than us. AWD! The reason their times are so much better is that they can launch at 5000 rpm and get 60' times around 1.8-1.9 STOCK. The CL-S or TL-S is FWD and too heavy to get off the line with 100% traction like that.

I've raced many and watched even more stock and modded WRX's at the track. Many of the stock cars hardly break into the 14s because they aren't launched hard. And the few that do get launched hard, although they may run mid to low 14s, only have a trap speed in the low 90's (usually around 92-94 mph).

In the 1/4 mile, your ET doesn't have as much to do with horsepower as it does with traction and good driving. Your MPH is what indicates wheel horsepower. If you encountered a stock WRX on the street vs. a stock TL-S or CL-S the Type-S would walk away from it 9 times out of 10 from a roll.

Again, WRX... really poor example because the attributes that make the WRX get down the 1320' faster than a stock TL-S or CL-S has nothing to do with the UniChip or horsepower discussion in progress.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Instructor

hey i called unichip and left a message.. i hope i am the one to be mapped.. hehe

Quick Reply: UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!