UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!

Ok peeps. Lets try this again. The general manger of Unichip North America, said they would gladly be willing to build chips for 2nd Gen. TL-P's!

He also stated that they already have the harnesses and chips ready to go. All they need is for one person to take their car over and let them build the maps (on the chip) for a TL-P Unichip. If I was on the West Coast I would do it myself, but I am on the East coast. Is there anyone willing to do it?

The groupbuy requires a $100 deposit by each person to secure the manufacturing of the chips. We can assume the final total will be around $600 bucks per chip. Thats what the CL guys paid.

So, if you are seriously interested please reply.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro

Down since day one...
Old 06-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Racer

what kinda of enhancement can I expect out of the chip?
Old 06-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested. Please keep us posted on the details
Old 06-23-2004, 06:53 PM
@ slide or die @

im very interested...would this work on a car thats been already slightly moded and tuned with the vafc?

*edit: just to help us out...does the person who gives up the car for a little time get a free chip?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Count me in!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Drifting

installed mine today on my 2003tls, 1st one out of the GB to have it installed, except for brian who donated his car to have our chip built. I;m very happy, she pulls like a bastard, & runs so very smooth. My price was $608.00 + 15.87 for shipping. Go for it guys you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by etxxz
im very interested...would this work on a car thats been already slightly moded and tuned with the vafc?

*edit: just to help us out...does the person who gives up the car for a little time get a free chip?
i believe so brian over at the cl GB donated his car for mapping the chip & his was free. So if you live in the portland oregon area, jump on it!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Burning Brakes

what about portland oregon area folks?? what do you mean by that??
Old 06-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by etxxz

Yes, the chip still works on slightly modded vehicles. My understanding is that, when they say mapping the chip, they map it for several different setups. The first CL guy to run his on a dyno had CAI and nitrous.

Someone posted the link to the dyno results on this forum earlier this week, maybe they can post it on this thread.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Racer

Here is the link to mattg's dyno results: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143724

Looks like 15-20 whp gains on a NA CL!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69tl
what about portland oregon area folks?? what do you mean by that??
unichip is in the portland area, so unless your gonna drive a long way to donate your car for the chip development, it only makes sense for this donation car be from the portland area.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

i'll do it if i have a TL-P cuz i only have a Acura Inspire
Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Racer

I'm not sure what an Acura Inspire is......Anyway, I am getting the details from Unichip on how long the mapping process takes and what is involved. As soon as I hear I will post the info.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Pro

Thanks for the follow up Element.... The inspire is the JDM version of the TL, I'm not sure how he has one in the U.S. unless he just change the emblems, because it will be a right side drive.... but that's what it is.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Racer

Since I am trying to coordinate w/ Uni-Chip, someone should tell the CL-P guys we are starting a GB. It's the same engine right? If it is, then start recruiting people from there also!

Todays recruiting tip: emphasize that this is a piggy-back plug-and-play chip, w/ solid documented gains throughout the ENTIRE powerband, not just at the top like headers....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:54 AM
CBS
Banned

Good work elementz!!!!!

count me too unless I get a 04' TL.....which can or may happen within a week but if I decide to keep my 01 tl-p, you can count me in too bigtime!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro

Element, I agree, however at this stage, I belive that everyone and their mother, know about the unichip, it's been around forums for months now... The CL guys have been working on getting this together for a while..... The ground work is already done, we nn to focus on the following:

1. Identify a volunteer in the Portland area willing to give up a car
2. See if we can ride the groupbuy wave from our fellow CL members, in order to get a similar price break, couple of us were on the original list, we can start there.
3. Coordinate the deposit process in order to fund this developement.
4. Designate a "GO" to guy that will speak with Unichip and be the main point of contact, between us and Unichip.
5. Sit back and wait, and enjoy the gains!!!!

If anyone else have more to add, feel free....
Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Element, I agree, however at this stage, I belive that everyone and their mother, know about the unichip, it's been around forums for months now... The CL guys have been working on getting this together for a while..... The ground work is already done, we nn to focus on the following:

1. Identify a volunteer in the Portland area willing to give up a car
2. See if we can ride the groupbuy wave from our fellow CL members, in order to get a similar price break, couple of us were on the original list, we can start there.
3. Coordinate the deposit process in order to fund this developement.
4. Designate a "GO" to guy that will speak with Unichip and be the main point of contact, between us and Unichip.
5. Sit back and wait, and enjoy the gains!!!!

If anyone else have more to add, feel free....

Agreed. Regarding your comment, I beleive the chip was only manufactured for the CL-S. That means that the CL-P guys would prolly be down.

Regarding your points:
1. Yep, we'll need a volunteer.
2. I'm already talking about pricing issues with Unichip.
3. I will handle the deposit process (if thats kewl with everyone).
4. I am already coordinating this with UniChip.
5. Exactly.

The main thing we need to do is get people signed up, and find a volunteer. Also, see if the CL-P has the same engine. Is there even a CL-P? If there is we need to lettem know!

Lets get this ball rolling people!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

Here is the response I got from Jack Friedman at Uni-Chip regarding the pricing issues:

Ryan,

Thanks for taking on the work load. Yes, my assumption is that the price would be in the ball park with the CL GB. Essentially, you’ll get 10% (20-29 guys), 15% (30-39 guys), or 20% (40+ guys) off of retail, and once we see a car and design the PnP harness and kit, we’ll be able to narrow down the price. Most normally aspirated cars are in the $700-$850 range, so you can do the basic math as well as I can at this point. Once we see the car, we’ll be able to narrow it down.

Hopefully, the basic mule process can all be done with one vehicle which we can tune in the “popular” configurations (stock, CAI, exhaust, CAI + exhaust, and any other common ones the group desires). That typically takes about a week. If we can get all that from one car, that guy gets everything for free. If we have to use two cars, they each get half off the GB price, etc…

Please let me know if you have any other questions and how things are going.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack Friedman, General Manager

Unichip of North America

www.unichip.us

Toll free 1.866.643.7400

Local 1.503.6407465

Fax 1.503.214.6444

......So, there it is. The more people we get onboard, the cheaper it will be. The CL guys got it down to right around $600. But, in any event we need to get at least 20.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
i

700 bux =[
Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by moahdriven
700 bux =[
A mere pittance for 15-20 whp across the entire powerband! And its a 5 minute install (Plug-and-Play) Can you be a maybe MOAH? At least think about it and let us know.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:22 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Is this for the 00 - 03 TL-p's with 5 gears, and not for the '99 TL-P's with four gears?? Someone should specify.. I see people with '99's are interested but, IMO I think the 99's would have to be seperate order/unichip with another car needed for the template...
Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
Is this for the 00 - 03 TL-p's with 5 gears, and not for the '99 TL-P's with four gears?? Someone should specify.. I see people with '99's are interested but, IMO I think the 99's would have to be seperate order/unichip with another car needed for the template...
It will be for both! The ground work is done, it's a matter of setting the right parameters for each vehicle type 4 speed/5 speed mods, etc. I'm part of the 99's and was part of the original group buy, with the CL guys, the problem was having someong with a 99 show up in Portland.

That's the main issue here, having the different vehicle types available in PDX for mapping.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Racer

Let me ask Jack for some clarification. I'll post when I get a response.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

If there's no Oregon TL-P available, I may reconsider going down to help out. However, my configuration is short ram and headers only. If I have to pay 50% of chip price because I don't have exhaust or pulleys or nitrous, that's gonna be a tough pill to swallow considering I will be driving down to Oregon at my own expense.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Pro

Good point, this is something that element can address with Jack... Element, please ask this question. Another thing, will it be beneficial to list all performance mods, to see what's the most popular set up among us?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by patrick
If there's no Oregon TL-P available, I may reconsider going down to help out. However, my configuration is short ram and headers only. If I have to pay 50% of chip price because I don't have exhaust or pulleys or nitrous, that's gonna be a tough pill to swallow considering I will be driving down to Oregon at my own expense.
Patrick, it will not matter which mods you have. They will map our chips according to your setup, and bone stock. So in your instance, the chip would be mapped for stock (base), base + intake, and base + intake + headers.

And just to quell any future questions, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE ALL OF THESE MODS IN ORDER FOR THE CHIP TO WORK PROPERLY. YOU WILL SELECT THE MAP ON THE CHIP THAT APPLIES TO YOUR CAR.

SO YOUR CAR, PATRICK, WOULD RUN AT 100% OPTIMIZATION WITH THE CHIP BECUASE IT WAS BUILT FROM YOUR SETUP. THE REST OF US MIGHT GET 99.98% OPTIMIZATION FOR HAVING A DIFFERENT INTAKE SETUP, NO HEADERS ETC.

IN ADDITION, IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO SHOW UP FOR TESTING YOU GET YOURS FREE.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elementz
Patrick, it will not matter which mods you have. They will map our chips according to your setup, and bone stock. So in your instance, the chip would be mapped for stock (base), base + intake, and base + intake + headers.

And just to quell any future questions, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE ALL OF THESE MODS IN ORDER FOR THE CHIP TO WORK PROPERLY. YOU WILL SELECT THE MAP ON THE CHIP THAT APPLIES TO YOUR CAR.

SO YOUR CAR, PATRICK, WOULD RUN AT 100% OPTIMIZATION WITH THE CHIP BECUASE IT WAS BUILT FROM YOUR SETUP. THE REST OF US MIGHT GET 99.98% OPTIMIZATION FOR HAVING A DIFFERENT INTAKE SETUP, NO HEADERS ETC.

IN ADDITION, IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO SHOW UP FOR TESTING YOU GET YOURS FREE.
Cool! July is out of the question, got lots of family plans coming up. August is a possibility tho. If no other TL-P will step by by August, there's a good chance I can pop over to Oregon and volunteer my car. Having said that, I need the least amount of down time from work...is Unichip willing to do testing on weekends or is it strictly Monday-Friday business hours?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Racer

Cool! July is out of the question, got lots of family plans coming up. August is a possibility tho. If no other TL-P will step by by August, there's a good chance I can pop over to Oregon and volunteer my car. Having said that, I need the least amount of down time from work...is Unichip willing to do testing on weekends or is it strictly Monday-Friday business hours?
Well, don't get excited yet. I am still waiting to hear whether or not it matters if the car is '99 w/ 4 gears or '00-'03 w/ 5 gears. If it does we may not be able to do this. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the offer.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro

Thanks for stepping up!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Elementz: Very true. Let us know when you find out. Thx.

El pana: No problem!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Extreme Lurker

Count Me in, I want Chip also.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:14 AM
Drifting

Agreed. Regarding your comment, I beleive the chip was only manufactured for the CL-S. That means that the CL-P guys would prolly be down.

Regarding your points:
1. Yep, we'll need a volunteer.
2. I'm already talking about pricing issues with Unichip.
3. I will handle the deposit process (if thats kewl with everyone).
4. I am already coordinating this with UniChip.
5. Exactly.

The main thing we need to do is get people signed up, and find a volunteer. Also, see if the CL-P has the same engine. Is there even a CL-P? If there is we need to lettem know!

Lets get this ball rolling people!
not just developed for the cls, but the tls. Same engine
Old 06-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Drifting

A mere pittance for 15-20 whp across the entire powerband! And its a 5 minute install (Plug-and-Play) Can you be a maybe MOAH? At least think about it and let us know.
sorry its more like a half hour install, but well worth it.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:19 AM
Drifting

i have headers, & k & n filter & they fitted me with the unichip.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:31 AM
All Hail the Chief

Are you sure the gains are going to be along the lines of those seen in the TL-S? As we all know, the TL-S seems to get better gains from any performance mod (I-H-E) than the TL-P, so I'm curious if we can expect to encounter the same from the Unichip?

Also, are the gains from the Unichip mutually exclusive from the gains you will see from adding other performance mods down the line? For example, if headers increase HP by 20, but you add the Unichip first which adds 15hp, will adding headers later only give you say an extra 10hp. Or can you still expect to see the 20hp gain?

Thanks for the info guys!

Hey, makes me remember....what ever happened to "MM1" and "MM2"? :o
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JPritch
Are you sure the gains are going to be along the lines of those seen in the TL-S? As we all know, the TL-S seems to get better gains from any performance mod (I-H-E) than the TL-P, so I'm curious if we can expect to encounter the same from the Unichip?

Also, are the gains from the Unichip mutually exclusive from the gains you will see from adding other performance mods down the line? For example, if headers increase HP by 20, but you add the Unichip first which adds 15hp, will adding headers later only give you say an extra 10hp. Or can you still expect to see the 20hp gain?

Thanks for the info guys!

Hey, makes me remember....what ever happened to "MM1" and "MM2"? :o
Great question Jpritch. I will get a list of questions like these together and send them all to Jack at one time. That way he is not answering 30 different emails. So, if you have any questions or concerns post them and I'll try to get answers for you soon.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:56 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

shipping times to Canada?
Weight of product?

And a seperate question what is the real difference between the two programmers. this one and the Jet one in the other post in the 2nd gen forum. This one is $600 for 15hp and the other is 9-11hp for $230.. is this one really worth the xtra $$ ?? Don't mean to hijack the thread I'm just comtemplating both, but $600US is not something to throw around on a whim..
Old 06-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Racer

I don't know enough about the JET product to even comment on it. Maybe someone else knows.....I will note your question for UniChip however.

Quick Reply: UniChip groupbuy for 2nd gen. TL-P's!