Unclear Window Tinting Law in California????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 02:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Unclear Window Tinting Law in California????

I live in SoCal...i i'm not very clear on the "window tinting" regulations. I read that you can tint the front windows (driver and passenger side) to 70% (70% meaning 70% of light has to go through). But a CHP officer told me that you can't tint the front windows unless you have a doctors note. I've look at the DMV online manuel, and it says that you can tint the windows, but it doesn't say to what percent. Can some one clear this up? The reason why i bring this up is, got pulled over 3 TIMES!!! for window tinting. 2 of the times was for my 1995 Toyota Camry, and my 1999 TL. Got ticketed $77, plus $15 for tint removal.
Old 04-17-2001, 02:43 AM

Sup man . .I just wanted to let you know that I am from the LA area and have had numbers of tickets for tint on my front windows. However, here is the funny part. I have a moded 96 Camero Z28 with Texas plates on it and my TL has California plates on it. Every ticket I have got for tint has been on the TL and the reason for that is because the state of Texas allows for front tint to a certain percentage. Whereas California does not allow tint on your front windows unless again you have been given some type of order by a Doctor which you have to take to the DMV and then they will issue you a special paper and make that note in your file so that the police can see that when they run your plates.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering but did you get pulled over JUST cause the cop noticed your windows were tinted?.... or was it on top of a speeding ticket or something. I live in the LA area as well and I have yet to get caught. and also... is your TL modded? Does it kinda stand out?
Old 04-17-2001, 03:29 AM

Yes he pulled me over for TINT and NO front plate. I was not speeding. As for my TL it is not modded yet. Its bone stock. I just got it about a month ago. My rims and body kit have been ordered. I am just waiting for them to come in.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

So...does anybody know the rules to how much each window can be tinted? I see that the front window can not be tinted....how about side passenger....rear passengers...and rear window?

------------------
Mugen exhaust
AEM CAI (love it)
BUT! dad is taking car away in about 4 months
Old 04-17-2001, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know if you guys know this but the tint law changed this year to allow front passanger and driver windows to be tinted. I'm not sure by how much but I know that 35% is legal, not sure about the 5%, and I know the limo isn't legal.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:41 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Originally posted by VTEC Animal:
I don't know if you guys know this but the tint law changed this year to allow front passanger and driver windows to be tinted. I'm not sure by how much but I know that 35% is legal, not sure about the 5%, and I know the limo isn't legal.

Where did you read this at? I would like to print it out and hand to the cops when they pull me over for window tint.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Donte99TL on April 17, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-17-2001, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

In Texas you can have 35% in front and 20% for the back. None allowed on the windshield, except for maybe a tint band on the top. Tint shops call this the "dark as legal" job.

20% on the front sides is not likely to get you pulled over, though; cops are pretty lax.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-17-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro

Talking

Got this from the California DMV site. Hope this help:

Sun Screening Devices: Requirements

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section
26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window
area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and
open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.

(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the
inner or outer surface.

Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 04-17-2001, 04:52 PM
Pro

Update on Window tinting law:

This is from the Vehicle code 26708's bottom section:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88
percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.
(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying
that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of
this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by
the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.
(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

This is the link for the full document:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 04-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro

Got this from the CHP website:

It is legal to tint your front's driver and passenger's window:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1.The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2.If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

It means after 1/1999. It is legal to tint your front window. You just need those clear one.

This is the link- www.chp.ca.gov/juice/portal/answers.html

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 04-18-2001, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by cHocoBo118:
just wondering but did you get pulled over JUST cause the cop noticed your windows were tinted?.... or was it on top of a speeding ticket or something. I live in the LA area as well and I have yet to get caught. and also... is your TL modded? Does it kinda stand out?
Yes, they could pull you over just for the window tint. I got pulled over once in my previous car (97 lude) when I was driving on the fwy at the posted speed limit in the far right lane. Cop still pulled me over and gave me a ticket for the tinted driverside/passengerside windows.

of course, I also got a fix it ticket for no front license plate.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:47 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by tgif:

It means after 1/1999. It is legal to tint your front window. You just need those clear one.

Thanks for posting the info. I'm sure everyone appreciate your input.

BTW, this new regulation is lame. 70%!? That's way too light! Why in the world would anyone put a clear (almost) tint!?
Old 04-18-2001, 02:23 AM
Safety Car

Talking

Unclear window tinting? Heh...

------------------
Nate's ride 2001 Silver TL, non-navi, 19"x8.0" +47 Alstadt IVs w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 235/35YR19, SuperCrystal lug nuts, Inspire wood steering wheel & tails, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S AC trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), blue alarm LEDs, factory spoiler & body kit, AEM SRI, Mugen grill, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, black chrome emblems, Apex'i V-AFC, Solaris 9005 high beams.

Thursday: custom V-AFC install
2 weeks: crossdrilled rotors, Metal Master brake pads
Ordered today: Comptech headers, iridium spark plugs
------------------
"Deadly to the eyes, worth seeing."
Old 04-18-2001, 02:32 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Laws at contradicting. The DMV law says, "88% light transmittance" while the CHP says "No aftermarket tinting" This is totally STUPID. Got caught 3 times...twice on the freeway by CHP and one on side streets. They pulled me over just for the window tint, nothing else. "88% light transmittance is stupid!! the glass is already 5%, you get to tint another 7%