Type S...Should be Type P.O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Type S...Should be Type P.O.S.

Some of you may have seen my other post regarding random revving, shifting, and slipping of the transmission. Well, today, after only 2 months and 9000 miles, my TL-S died on me.

The problem was getting worse and worse over the past couple of days -- of couse it happens during a holiday so I can't take it in right away -- so I decided to take it in this morning. At every stoplight, it was getting harder and harder to make the car move again until finally it died in the dealership parking lot. The check engine and VSA warning lights came on and the gear selection indicator on the tachometer was flashing. To top it off, all the Acura techs are on vacation until next Monday so it just has to sit until then. The service rep's speculation is that it may need a new transmission. That's just great. It's too bad I love this car so much when it's running well or I'd get rid of the damn thing. Melting tranny, rattling sunroof, squeaky passenger seat, sagging tail-pipe --- AARRRGGGHHH!!!

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy

Dude,

What a bummer! To have your car die on you only after 9k miles? I think you were one of those unfortunate ones to pick up a 'lemon'... there's always a bad one out of a batch. Hope your dealership was at least sympathetic to you-- after all, you dropped some serious $$$ for it, right?! I wonder what loaner you got...

Tell us the verdict on what happened. Tranny? Computer?
- derrick
Old 07-05-2001, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I got an Integra GS. Not bad but not as nice as the A6 loaner they give out to the Audi customers.

I'm hoping it is a computer glich and not the transmission.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:19 PM
Racer

Unhappy

Whatever it is, I hope that it's identified and fixed, once and for all. The TL is usually such a reliable car that it's always dismaying to hear one of our brothers is having a bad experience!

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2001, 12:46 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh no! I hope this doesn't happen on all TLS. Because like you, I love my car and I will be very very piss off if there is something wrong since I invested so much money and time. Hope you can get your ride back soon.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know what sucks more -- the problems I'm having or being w/out the car for a week. It's definitely a love-hate relationship right now. She's so sweet one minute and a total B**** the next!
Old 07-05-2001, 08:49 PM
Instructor

I'm kinda wondering about Tl-s quality also. I bough a 2002 w/ 3 miles on it. Now it's at 890 miles and my seat is squeaking as well as something in the back, one of the window rubber sealers is peeling off and IS IT JUST OR IS THIS CAR EXTREMELY BOUNCY ON THE ROAD? It's not that bad when you're drivin, but when you're riding in it... my wife has been car seek every time she rode in it so far. anyhting i can do to reduce the bounce.
i just bought a 2002 and got rid of my 92 cutlass, maybe that's what new cars are supposed to do.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:57 PM
Banned

The TLS does have a stiffer suspension, but it shouldn't be bad enough to make you carsick. I had an '00 TL before, and I can tell a difference between the rides, but it's not much.

Main thing I have noticed is that on decent roads, the ride is just as smooth as the regular TL, except that the handling is quite a bit better - quite a bit less (but still a little too much) body roll when cornering. However, when I get on a bad road, the TLS will absolutely beat you to death as you feel every bump and pothole.

Unfortunately, any car with a sports suspension is going to be like that. Trying riding in a BMW, and it will make you feel like the TLS was floating on air. It's just the tradeoff every car has to make - smooth ride vs. handling.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

The reason for bouncy ride may be the TIRE pressure. For some reason the Acura delers don't follow the factory recommendation of 32 psi and keep the tire pressure much higher (>40psi).

Reduce the pressure to slightly above 32 (I usually keep it around 34) and you'll see a BIG improvement in ride.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:35 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Well I have 1600 miles on my TLS and no problems yet (knockin on wood right now). I had it for exactly 1 month.

I hope everything works out!
Old 07-06-2001, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Re: Type S...Should be Type P.O.S.

Originally posted by RedLined
Some of you may have seen my other post regarding random revving, shifting, and slipping of the transmission. Well, today, after only 2 months and 9000 miles, my TL-S died on me.
This may be a good time to read up on your state's lemon laws. You may be entitled to a replacement vehicle.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:18 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Type S...Should be Type P.O.S.

Originally posted by daverman

This may be a good time to read up on your state's lemon laws. You may be entitled to a replacement vehicle.
Good idea! I'm really discouraged to hear this kind of stuff. Not nearly discouraged as Redlined, no doubt. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

4800 miles, almost 3 months old... no major problems, minor problems include rattles and squeaks everywhere and the horrendous quality of the super thin paint - it has dents, dings, scratches everywhere... my other vehicle is a 2001 Lexus RX300 and it gets beaten up ten times more (taking it to the mountains, trails etc.) and still there are'nt any scratches on it.... the Acura paint job is very disappointing :-(
Old 07-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your car.

I've only got 800 miles on mine. So far no rattles or squeaks. I just dropped mine off at the dealer because the rubber around the sunroof deteriorated and they have to replace the entir sunroof. Hopefully it won't rattle or squeak when I get it back.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-06-2001, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I checked out the lemon laws a few years ago when my 98 Accord EX V6 had this mysterious oil leak that took the mechanics forever to fix. I seem to remember something about if it isn't fixed w/in 9 attempts, it's a lemon. So I have a long way to go.
Old 07-06-2001, 03:31 PM

Unhappy

Ya'll need to go the the Honda factory in Ohio(I think it is in Ohio) and smack some of the workers who are building your cars......
That's a dahm shame........
Old 07-06-2001, 05:17 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Redlined - in Virginia it is 3 times for the same problem.

I have first hand experience - I took a case all the way through, and got full satisfaction.

Email if you want to discuss the ins and outs. Rage
Old 07-06-2001, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by thejavagod
4800 miles, almost 3 months old... no major problems, minor problems include rattles and squeaks everywhere and the horrendous quality of the super thin paint - it has dents, dings, scratches everywhere... my other vehicle is a 2001 Lexus RX300 and it gets beaten up ten times more (taking it to the mountains, trails etc.) and still there are'nt any scratches on it.... the Acura paint job is very disappointing :-(
Agreed. The paint job is truly paper thin. My bumper and hood has several tiny chips that go all the way to the plastic or metal. I've put polish over it to prevent corrosion and I'm going to get some touch-up paint from the dealer's this weekend.

1200 miles on my car now, and it's been great. Problems that I've yet to resolve include a clicking driver's seat (dealer's ordering a new seat base), squeaking weatherseal in the driver's door (dealer put a dollop of silicone lubricant which helped, but it's starting to come back). I've also noticed that the vinyl and leather is starting to dry out very quickly and I've applied conditioners. The Navi gyro sensor was also miscalibrated, but I fixed it by tweaking the settings.
Old 07-06-2001, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Road Rage
Redlined - in Virginia it is 3 times for the same problem.

I have first hand experience - I took a case all the way through, and got full satisfaction.

Email if you want to discuss the ins and outs. Rage
Rage --
Sent you a private message. Feel free to respond via e-mail through this site. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Ya'll need to go the the Honda factory in Ohio(I think it is in Ohio) and smack some of the workers who are building your cars......
That's a dahm shame........
1SICKLEX, my sentiments exactly. Ohio is good, but can't compare to a car truly made in Japan. With all these problems I am hearing, it seems the TL's reliability is slowly sounding like a Ford / GM reliability nightmare.

I still have faith in Acura's reliability, but the more problems we here, even if just minor, just shows, that it does matter where your car is made these days.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by GTL2K
The reason for bouncy ride may be the TIRE pressure. For some reason the Acura delers don't follow the factory recommendation of 32 psi and keep the tire pressure much higher (>40psi).

They do this for shipping purpose, and showroom purpose, to keep the tires from getting flat spots while parked for very long times as it would when being shipped, or sitting in a car dealership parking lot. What they should be doing is resetting the tire pressure to normal as soon as they prep the car for delivery to the new owner. But of coarse, it is usually the lot attendents preping the car for delivery, and they wouldn't know to do that.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Cool 4800 miles less than a month...

Well, I have had my 2002 TLS for almost 4 weeks and I have put on considerable miles on it. Not one problem had creeped up as of yet. My only gripe was the mileage. But mostly due to my driving style. I just got back from a trip to Newport News, Va ( about 3 hours from DC) and got 30.1 up and 31.4 mpg back. I love my car tremendously, and this is coming from a Nissan Maxima/Infinity owner. Sometimes you get a lemon out the bunch, but whole I am impressed by the quality in build in my TLS. Give it sometime, Like all relationship patience is needed and recommended.
Old 07-09-2001, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your troubles - I hope for the rest of us, your car is an isolated "problem child". I've got nothing but good reviews here - 3 weeks and 1000 miles, and no issues - but then, I expect nothing less from Honda!

FYI the plant is in Marysville, OH, which is approx 20 miles NW of Columbus. They make Accords there, too (lots and lots of Accords...). Honda employs 7000+ at their Marysville complex - one of these days, I need to get down there and take a plant tour.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:33 AM
Instructor

4N JUNK!

Is nobody's transmition jerky as hell form 1-2 and 2-3 gears?
I'm getting fed up with the problems on a $30K ++ vehicle. Shoulda kept my '92 Oldsmobille.
Old 07-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I never thought mine was very jerky until I got my new transmission. It now, w/ new tranny, seems much smoother than before.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Angry Total Quality Management anyone?

All I can say is thank God for a 4 year warranty!!!How do they stay in business w/ all the repairs they have to do for free?
Referring to someone else's post, should a rubber sealer around your sun roof really deteriorate after 800 miles? Your seat squeak, your sunroof click, your tranny slip, your paint chip?
Did I mentioned I'm not talking about a $8,000 Hyndai!

People, you want foreign, buy it when it's been built abroad?! Everything else might as well have Ford badging.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 4N JUNK!

Originally posted by sniper5
IShoulda kept my '92 Oldsmobille.
Yes, I believe you should have
Old 07-19-2001, 01:54 PM

I don't know if the country of origin really matters. My Honda is hand built next to the NSX assembly line in Japan and it has its share of problems as well.

2000 S2000
Old 11-24-2003, 06:37 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Angry

I am on 3400 miles and 4 months with my '03 TLS, and and my emmissions and VSA lights just popped on. I have the annoying squeaky seat, moon roof cover, and the occasional weird rev. I am going to the dealership TOMORROW!!!!!! I hope this isn't the start of the troubles you guys are mentioning... Car is TTTOOOO pretty to give up, but if it has to go, then so be it...
Old 11-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

OMG, isn't this the very first tranny thread ever on this site?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TlsNavi03
I am on 3400 miles and 4 months with my '03 TLS, and and my emmissions and VSA lights just popped on. I have the annoying squeaky seat, moon roof cover, and the occasional weird rev. I am going to the dealership TOMORROW!!!!!! I hope this isn't the start of the troubles you guys are mentioning... Car is TTTOOOO pretty to give up, but if it has to go, then so be it...
I have almost 5,000 miles on my '03 TLS (4,864 to be exact) and I'm having such a good time with it...except for the little accident when I backed into something :o but anyhow...mines running as smooth as a babies a$$. Please keep us updated
Old 11-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Die Thread!!!!! :ar15:
Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by LatinSmoke 01CL
Die Thread!!!!! :ar15:
This thread was dead .... anytime i see old threads come to life 99% of the time you know what the culprit is. I wont say it but learning to contribute to a forum without wasting bandwidth seems to be impossible for some people.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Rock Star

TLS Haters Are Back.....My question as always show me a car that is truely maintance free and only always just needs and oil change..in ill buy 3 of them.............also peeps complain about the tranny knock on wood ive been good thus far in 16 mos but ive used the auto shift 2 times......stop usin it so so much.............peace
Old 11-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, first off, you should be able to use the select-shift constantly if that is your preference. But, beyond that, using it or not has little to do with the transmission problem, as the second on my 2003 is in the process of failing, and I very rarely ever take it out of automatic.

It's not about being a TL hater. It is about buying a vehicle that is supposed to have a reputation for quality, and having it be flawed, unreliable and up substandard quality (rattles, squeaks, and all sorts of noises that have no place on a car like this.)

No car is perfect, but this car is not acceptable.

ME