trying to remove the TL's rear view mirror without success..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to remove the TL's rear view mirror without success..

Does anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror off a 99 TL? I have done all the obvious things such as twist and slide every which way but don't seem to be able to get the damn thing off. I can't see any screw holding it down. I did take the plastic front and back covers off as well as removed the wire harness.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

did u try gettin a new windshied ,,,,,,,they usally come without the mirror
Old 07-02-2002, 09:57 AM
Racer

Mirror is held by a special ultraviolet hardened glue. Call some place that does windshields, and they may be able to help you - there must be a way to remove a mirror to reinstall it on the new windshield during replacement.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should be able to replace it since mine was replaced because the dimming material was no longer working (spotty). unfortunately, i did not ask how they did it. just call service or parts and ask someone.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Pro

I got this from the S2000 forum since we have a similar mirror mount to the windshield. hope this helps.

Originally posted by hecash on s2ki.com...

Fortunately, I can tell you that the removal of the button is fairly easy. The final method that evolved from my efforts was to heat the OEM button using a butane pencil torch, cool the outside glass surface with a very wet sponge and twist the OEM button off with a pair of channel-lock pliers.

The OEM button must be heated sufficiently to twist the button off of the face of the windshield glass. However, the temperature of the glass must be kept fairly low to prevent softening of the area where you are about to mount the new button. With the top down to permit access to both sides of the windshield, the wet sponge is used to extract heat from the outside surface of the glass while the button is heated using the pencil torch from the inside. Try to keep the flame of the pencil torch away from the glass and focused on the OEM button. If you use a moderate size flame, this should not be too difficult.

Do not be bashful about keeping the sponge water soaked.

Do not try to pull the OEM button to the away from the inside surface of the glass. It must be twisted off, not pulled off.

Using your best judgment from observing the button's heat and boiling of the water under the sponge, take the pliers and twist the OEM button with moderate force from time to time until it snaps off. Be patient. When it is ready to come off, it does so surprisingly easily. You will not need to apply a lot of force.

Continue to cool the windshield for a few minutes with the wet sponge. Allow the windshield glass to cool for another 30 minutes prior to attempting to mount the new button.

Follow the directions on the new button to mix and apply the new epoxy adhesive, mount the new button and allow the adhesive to cure for the recommended period. I let mine cure for one day.

Mount the new mirror, tighten the mounting bracket screw, insert the electric connector and test it out. If you see a green wall at the back of the garage and some outrageous direction indicated in the mirror, you're probably there.

Take the car out to a parking lot or cul-de-sac and drive it around in a circle slowly for four or five loops and the compass will automatically calibrate itself.

There is a rocker-button on the bottom of the mirror to toggle between compass and outside air temperature. Pressing both sides of the rocker simultaneously will shut off the display.

Total time should not be more than 1 hour of direct work. Total elapsed time should be about 25 hours using my plan's schedule.

I hope this helps!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:32 PM
jr
Instructor

I have a 2001 tl and had a messed up mirror, all I can tell you is be careful I ended up getting a new windshield and a new mirror.
that glass cracks so easy. so I took it to the dealer and paid them
45.00 to install it and 110.00 for the mirror and 415.00 for the glass.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jr
I have a 2001 tl and had a messed up mirror, all I can tell you is be careful I ended up getting a new windshield and a new mirror.
that glass cracks so easy. so I took it to the dealer and paid them
45.00 to install it and 110.00 for the mirror and 415.00 for the glass.
I did it the other day. The winshield will not crack. You take the 2 plastic pieces out from the mirror itself, not that is of any use, but it will allow you to see more. There are 2 ways, well one, but I just thought of another one. The way I did was just to pull down, it look like it was going to break, but it didn't. It came off. It does slide, so you might want to try sprying some WD-40 and then slide the mirror down. I thought of this after, because when I installed the new one it just slide in.

BTW you will need to remove the top console, where you put the glasess and the 2 night lights. is just 4 screws, you need to do this to connect the new mirror.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Cruisin'

Angry

I have been trying to slide the thing down for sometime and finally cracked the windshield..%$#*.. Oh well...