The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 02:04 PM
tea elle

The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood

I'd like to do my best to put an end to this discussion and hopefully avoid the need for any future debate...

These kits that consist of blackwood/marble plastic that are meant to be applied throughout your dashboard and steering wheel are completely and unequivocably tasteless. If you are someone who likes theway it looks, my sympathy to you and the family who raised you for not knowing any better. However, you need to realize that it is very cheap looking and represents a desperate attempt to emulate cars like Mercedes and Lexus that are adorned with real wood trim througout. Not to mention someone who replaces perfectly good leather on their steering wheel with plastic fake wood...unbelievable!!!

This may incite some debate...but you are either tacky, or you have taste. It has more to do with how you were raised, and who your family is, than with what you aspire to become.

Do you know any people who put aftermarket tail lights on their civics and accords to make their cars look like something they aren't? They are common people who make distorted and pointless investments in their cars. Pathetic as it is, they represent a significant portion of our society. There are the same people who probably buy living room/bedroom sets at Wickes Furniture or Levitts, and bookcases at IKEA. They are not bad people necessarily, they just don't know any better.

This is the world we live in, and you know who you are. To those of you who try too hard, I say this: Seek professional help. Nobody gives a darn about what you drive or what the back side of your vehicle looks like. If you need to be noticed in this way, you have severe self-esteem issues.

I sincerely hope my feelings and opinions help bring closure to this topic once and for all. I hope you can all take this post in the spirit it is intended... to share the truth with all who will listen. I haven't posted for a while, but when I checked into the website today and saw this being discussed AGAIN, I had to relieve myself of these feelings. I feel much, much better now. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2002, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Would you like the number to a nice therapist (or two or three...)?
Old 03-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO @ iceman.

Who needs more therapy, someone who accepts a car with fake wood that looks good or someone that puts real granite in their interior, pays through their nose for it, and adds 50lbs of weight to a performance sedan?

You get what you pay for and fake wood is better than no trim IMHO.

If you don't like it, pay the extra for real stuff.

While you're at it you may as well replace your synthetic fibre floor mats with hand made Persian rugs

P.S. This is all meant to be taken as light humour
Old 03-22-2002, 02:51 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I truthfully am not a big fan of the blackwood, but I feel that the burlwood looks good. Also, you are like those people that force their religion on others. To each his or her own. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you have to dis it and especially never say something about ones family. So you know what FVCK YOU. Low self esteem drives people to talk **** about others.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Re: The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood

Originally posted by tea elle
Nobody gives a darn about what you drive or what the back side of your vehicle looks like or what tea elle has to say on the matter.
If your post wasn't meant as a giant troll, then you need to learn from your own post...
If you need to be noticed in this way, you have severe self-esteem issues.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

If you need to be noticed in this way, you have severe self-esteem issues.
If you really believed that statement then why did you bother trading in your 01 TL for a 02 TLS after only 9 months?

What you see as a lack of self esteem is viewed by many as pride in what we work so hard to own!

Just my $.02. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and so am I!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Thank you for that wonderful waste of bandwidth.

How about you create a post about the idiotic people that trade in their car after only 9 months for virtually the same car, albeit with a little more HP.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

Wow, what a useless and utterly pointless topic this is. I will leave it open b/c you are allowed to express your opinion (that's what this board is for, right?), but geez... just b/c you don't like something doesn't mean that you should go and label people as tacky or "without taste". Who are you to determine that just b/c you don't like it? I mean, just b/c someone has Altezzas on their Civic or Accord doesn't mean that they are a ricer. Usually the two are associated, but it's not an absolute. I think you should take your own advise and go back to not posting that much unless you have something valuable to add.....
Old 03-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by juniorbean
Wow, what a useless and utterly pointless topic this is. I will leave it open b/c you are allowed to express your opinion (that's what this board is for, right?), but geez... just b/c you don't like something doesn't mean that you should go and label people as tacky or "without taste". Who are you to determine that just b/c you don't like it? I mean, just b/c someone has Altezzas on their Civic or Accord doesn't mean that they are a ricer. Usually the two are associated, but it's not an absolute. I think you should take your own advise and go back to not posting that much unless you have something valuable to add.....
CAN I GET AN AMEN?!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

The almighty has spoken!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
As we all know opinions are like a$$holes....everybody's got one.

Just seems that tea elle's is much much bigger than anyone else's. Opinion that is
Old 03-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Guys, you need to treat Tea Elle with some repsect. He already won an award for his contributions a few months ago. This was posted by hadtodoit41:

I just had to say it... And the award goes to:
I have been reading posts on this forum for about a year now, and decided to sign up just so I can post this one message.
I would like to award the following awards:

Most annoying member:
Tea Elle. Sorry buddy, but in most cases you have nothing to contribute. You are attacking other members, calling them jerks just b/c your opinions may differ. Your attack against SCWells72 (most recent one) was completely unnecessary. Disagreeing with someone is one thing, calling them a jerk because of it is childish. Your threats to other members that you will be watching them... What is that all about? Your specialty seems to be quoting someone’s post and vulgarly replying to it. You seem like an immature, insecure person in need of proving something. Maybe you weren’t breast fed enough, I don’t really know.

Power trip award:
Judging by some posts, a few of you may have a guess about this one.
I think Mr.Hyde deserve it. Let the people talk and discuss things. Threads are closed anytime you don’t like them, post censored often. I just hope you’ll leave this one on the board.

People that seem to know a few things award: RoadRage
Don’t really have to comment much.

People you sometimes wonder about award: Austin519
This person has over 1300 posts and sometimes writes like he has 20 years of experience in every major field. That’s all great until one of his posts is titled along the lines of: ”What’s a windshield wiper and how do I use one?” This also disputes Tea Elle’s belief that the number of replies posted is directly correlated to a person’s wit.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Racer

I don't get it man, u r complaining about the bowling ball trim and thats exactly what u bought!!!! Hellooooooooo!! :p Hey, I have some advice: Don't get the wood trim wheel. Your schizophrenic alter-ego might go postal on you.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

If you'd been raised properly you'd have learned to be more tolerant and accept to each his own, and express your opinions in a less derrogatory fashion. I think the full kit isn't my style, but if someone likes it, so be it.

Working on cars is a hobby for a lot of people, so just be ready to be flamed to all hell in a few seconds. *Stands back*
Old 03-22-2002, 03:54 PM
tea elle

Re: Re: The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood

Originally posted by rmarin2

If you really believed that statement then why did you bother trading in your 01 TL for a 02 TLS after only 9 months?

My top five reasons:

better handling
better seats
better acceleration
lower monthly payment
better long-term satisfaction

Old 03-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Racer

What is this $hit a thread started to teach us how to stereotype the way people were raised by the way they like their car to look.
Personally I think that people who do things to their car to be original are people who could care less about turning heads, they do it because thats what they like.

Would you like the number to a nice therapist (or two or three...)?
Don't get the wood trim wheel. Your schizophrenic alter-ego might go postal on you.
:flamer: :flamer:
Old 03-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood

My top five reasons:

better handling
better seats
better acceleration
lower monthly payment
better long-term satisfaction
for getting the tls? hey me too
Old 03-22-2002, 04:01 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by mbeebe
Also, you are like those people that force their religion on others. To each his or her own. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you have to dis it and especially never say something about ones family. So you know what FVCK YOU. Low self esteem drives people to talk **** about others.
Somehow I just had to say something...that's how much I dislike it.

I'm working on my self-esteem issues. My therapist suggested that I find ways to vent my frustrations, and not keep them bottled up. Today's post really helped me vent. I really don't like the aftermarket blackwood plastic trim.

Old 03-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Damn, it looks like:

Forum users... 13
Tea Elle.......... 0

BTW, Tea Elle, don't you have a Type S version?
Shouldn't your user name be Tea Elle A**?

:flamer: :flamer: :flamer:
Old 03-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Banned

My therapist suggested that I find ways to vent my frustrations, and not keep them bottled up.
And this is why all therapists should be rounded up and shot... (except of course any that post to this forum, you're ok)
Old 03-22-2002, 04:04 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by sniper5
Guys, you need to treat Tea Elle with some repsect. He already won an award for his contributions a few months ago. This was posted by hadtodoit41:

I haven't been on in a while so I missed that one. Classic!

Old 03-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

It's that kind of intolerance and insensitivity to individuality that has spawned movements in the past resulting in things such as: World War II

Live and Let Live
Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Thank you for that wonderful waste of bandwidth.

How about you create a post about the idiotic people that trade in their car after only 9 months for virtually the same car, albeit with a little more HP.
Well, at least you thought it was a "wonderful" waste.

I don't think it was a waste of bandwidth. I think it will prompt some people to give more careful consideration before choosing to buy fake plastic wood...especially for the purpose of replacing the pristine leather on their steering wheel.

And in terms of why I traded in my TL for the TL-S, I already replied to that one. My top five reasons were pretty good, I thought.

Old 03-22-2002, 04:14 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by daddio
It's that kind of intolerance and insensitivity to individuality that has spawned movements in the past resulting in things such as: World War II

Live and Let Live
I don't think I'm intolerant. I just wanted to express my opinion (albeit strong) about the "tackiness" of most people. I tolerate everyone..

1. on the freeway who drives thoughtlessly

2. at the gym who don't bother to re-rack their weights

3. in a movie theatre where they talk during the feature

4. in a restaurant where they blow their nose at the table

5. in a public restroom when they intentionally urinate on the seat

Today I decided to use this "forum" to express my frustration and obviously I was expecting to elicit responses. I thought their was some inherent humor in my post, but its being taken very, very seriously. I mean, someone just compared me to the Nazis in World War II for goodness sake!

Old 03-22-2002, 04:18 PM
Banned

I tolerate everyone..
1. on the freeway who drives thoughtlessly
2. at the gym who don't bother to re-rack their weights
3. in a movie theatre where they talk during the feature
...and strangely enough, no one expects you to tolerate any of these Go get pissed off at the people who drive thoughtlessly instead of the people who buy a kit they think looks good (even if I agree that *I* don't find it appealing).
Old 03-22-2002, 04:27 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by juniorbean
Wow, what a useless and utterly pointless topic this is. I will leave it open b/c you are allowed to express your opinion (that's what this board is for, right?), but geez... just b/c you don't like something doesn't mean that you should go and label people as tacky or "without taste". Who are you to determine that just b/c you don't like it?
Actually, I've got really good taste. If you saw my home, my wardrobe, my woman, my music collection, the art in my home, and the literature on my bookcases you would know that I am someone with knowledge and inherent awareness of what is tasteful and what is not.

Sometimes I am arrogant, egotistical, opinionated and impatient. But I'm also a philanthropist, animal lover, charitable and good to my mother and father. If I see someone being wronged, I come to their aid. If I witness an accident, I stop and give my name. If an elderly person needs help, I help them.

Whatever. This is absurd. My post is simply an opinion and a slam against tacky people. I've read hundreds of comments on here that I thought were utterly ridiculous, and clearly there are people who feel that way about mine. Fine.

Old 03-22-2002, 04:30 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by Throtex

...and strangely enough, no one expects you to tolerate any of these Go get pissed off at the people who drive thoughtlessly instead of the people who buy a kit they think looks good (even if I agree that *I* don't find it appealing).
One must tolerate the things I listed because one cannot change them. Bad taste, however, is something that can be pointed out. O.K., I guess you can confront people who talk in movie theatres, but usually that just creates more disturbance.

Old 03-22-2002, 04:53 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I think you are right about the trim, I would go with the real aluminum, however I just thought it was tasteless to link the trim in a car to a persons upbringing. BTW, tea elle, how do you feel about aluminum in parchment.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Instructor

BTW, tea elle, how do you feel about aluminum in parchment.
lmao

Guys, what can I say. I sold my TLS a month ago cause it was a POS and bought a Lexus instead. But I still keep coming back to this forum
Old 03-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Drifting

This may incite some debate...but you are either tacky, or you have taste. It has more to do with how you were raised, and who your family is, than with what you aspire to become.
Easy there, Joan Rivers. I thought the Fashionistas died out in the 80's

I sincerely hope my feelings and opinions help bring closure to this topic once and for all. I hope you can all take this post in the spirit it is intended... to share the truth with all who will listen. I haven't posted for a while, but when I checked into the website today and saw this being discussed AGAIN, I had to relieve myself of these feelings. I feel much, much better now. Thank you.
HA HA HA, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thanks!

Actually, I've got really good taste. If you saw my home, my wardrobe, my woman, my music collection, the art in my home, and the literature on my bookcases you would know that I am someone with knowledge and inherent awareness of what is tasteful and what is not.
HOO HA HA what a riot! Shall I move over so that you head has some room to expand even further? Ow, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

I can't believe you listed "your woman" alongside your music collection and your wardrobe.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:24 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by daverman

Easy there, Joan Rivers. I thought the Fashionistas died out in the 80's

HA HA HA, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thanks!

FINALLY someone sees the humor in my post!

Fashionistas...like Sandinistas....great pun! Very funny.

Old 03-22-2002, 05:31 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by mbeebe
Personally I think you are right about the trim, I would go with the real aluminum, however I just thought it was tasteless to link the trim in a car to a persons upbringing. BTW, tea elle, how do you feel about aluminum in parchment.
I like the aluminum. I'm considering the kit that Austin was talking about, but I don't like the idea of slapping it on top of my existing trim. I don't know...aluminum might be too much of a contrast to all the black leather.

You're probably right about my comments going too far...I just felt like venting and being a little controversial. If I offended someone, perhaps they need to look at their own choices. But I never came out and personally attacked anyone in particular.

I've done some stand up comedy in Hollywood over the years, and man, people can really take things personally. Yikes.

Old 03-22-2002, 05:35 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by daverman

HOO HA HA what a riot! Shall I move over so that you head has some room to expand even further? Ow, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

I can't believe you listed "your woman" alongside your music collection and your wardrobe.
I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think someone actually gets the joke? I intended to be funny, and abrasive at the same time. This is a forum...its interesting to play with it and see what happens.

God, sometimes I get sick of the monotony on this website. Like how many times can people talk about fog lights? So I spiced it up a little bit....jeeeeezzzz.

Old 03-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Drifting

I want to congratulate you on making an ass of yourself, tea elle. I don't think the blackwood looks that bad (not every piece mind you, just a few of the pieces). I also like the wood steering wheels. I think it adds class to the interior. I guess according to you though I am tacky and have no taste. How wonderful.

If you don't like it fine, but why the hell make a post like you did attacking everyone who does like it? It is one thing to say that you don't like it, it is quite another to say that the people who do like it were raised wrong.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Racer

I don't think I'm intolerant. I just wanted to express my opinion (albeit strong) about the "TACKINESS" of most people. I tolerate everyone..
"tackiness"

THIS GUY IS DEFENITLY A :flamer: :flamer: :flamer:
Old 03-22-2002, 07:02 PM
Racer

Somehow I just had to say something...that's how much I dislike it.

I'm working on my self-esteem issues. My therapist suggested that I find ways to vent my frustrations, and not keep them bottled up. Today's post really helped me vent. I really don't like the aftermarket blackwood plastic trim.
Well, good for you! If by posting this helps you and make you happy, then go for it!

And if people who put fake blackwood or Altezza tail lights on their civic/neon/protege make them happy, then they go for it.

My point : If it makes you happy, go for it, don't bother of what other people think.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Dude, dont take your sexual frustration out on the plastic wood kits....they didnt do anything to offend you!

Ps: Just call me Ghetto Fabulous.

I was going to save a few bucks and just toss some Renyolds Warp on there, but I decided to splurge a little. Btw, thanks for the enlightening thread, I now have a new paradigm on life :thefinger
Old 03-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Banned

Just a note:

Simply because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Tea Elle, your exemplary tastes apparently don't cover a little thing known as tact. Pissing off a lot of people isn't a good way to spice up the board. Go post porn in the Off Topic area, that usually spices up things and gets people interested

Again, nobody take this as an endorsement to the kit. As I've said before, it's not my style (Acura nailed the interior just right for our price range). It's your choice, but Tea Elle, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if the common consensus was that you sucked because you DIDN'T have the kit.

Walk a mile in their shoes. ... how does the rest go? By then you'll be a mile away, you'll have their shoes, and won't be anywhere near this board
Old 03-23-2002, 12:37 AM
All Hail the Chief

Damn, I'm seeing some characteristic signs of a schitzo personality here with this guy. The "everyone is out to get me" mentality. "AHHHH!, the guy at the table across the room blew his nose intentionally to infect me with his germs so he could destroy me!"...."DAMMIT, it is a conspiracy I tell you, they piss on the toilet seats b/c they're out to destroy me!"

Seriously though, I never heard that it was impolite to blow your nose at the table?!?! I thought as long as you turned your head away and used a tissue it was fine? I guess my lack of a proper "upbringing" contributed to this ignorance.

And I seriously don't think "most" people intentionally piss on a toilet seat. Most guys just miss right off the bat or as the valve closes - a little drizzle spills down. It is very bad manners though for someone not to wipe it up. But come on, somebody having a field day on the toilet seat for $hits 'n giggles, I seriously doubt that.

Damn, it's late. I'm out!
Old 03-23-2002, 12:56 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to do my best to put an end to this discussion and hopefully avoid the need for any future debate...

These kits that consist of blackwood/marble plastic that are meant to be applied throughout your dashboard and steering wheel are completely and unequivocably tasteless. If you are someone who likes theway it looks, my sympathy to you and the family who raised you for not knowing any better. However, you need to realize that it is very cheap looking and represents a desperate attempt to emulate cars like Mercedes and Lexus that are adorned with real wood trim througout. Not to mention someone who replaces perfectly good leather on their steering wheel with plastic fake wood...unbelievable!!!

Well I'll agree with you on the kit, IMO is very ugly. But don't go personal against other people as they might take it as an insult and been as good as a person as you said you are, you should know better.

This may incite some debate...but you are either tacky, or you have taste. It has more to do with how you were raised, and who your family is, than with what you aspire to become..
maybe you are just gay. Not in a sexual way, but in a woman's side way.

Do you know any people who put aftermarket tail lights on their civics and accords to make their cars look like something they aren't? They are common people who make distorted and pointless investments in their cars. Pathetic as it is, they represent a significant portion of our society. There are the same people who probably buy living room/bedroom sets at Wickes Furniture or Levitts, and bookcases at IKEA. They are not bad people necessarily, they just don't know any better.
Very true. Sometimes I wonder if they have any idea on what they just did. I know exactly what kind of people you are talking about.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Plastic Fake Wood