Is this true what the dealer said??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this true what the dealer said??

First off, Im happy to be a part of group of knowledgabe people.

ANyways, i just bought a brand-new (to me anyway) 02 TL-S about a week ago. So far so good. But when i was talking to the dealer about the tranny proplems i've been reading about, he said there were only on a specific batch of cars manufactured and mine wasn't a part of that batch (surprise, surprise)

So my questions are 1) was he telling the truth about the tranny problems limited to a specific bunch of 02 tl's made?? If so 2) how can i find out if mine was manufactured in that bunch or not?

Thanks for your help in advance. Glad to be a member.

One more question......whenever i turn my steering wheel, i hear this "rubbing" sound coming from the steering wheel, like that swishy sound nylon pants make. Is that normal??
Old 01-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro

a while back people were saying that if your car was produced after a certain date (indicated by the vin number) you were less or not prone to tranny failure. try a search for "vin number"
Old 01-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Well, I"ve got an 03 with 19K miles. Took car in to get EGR valve taken care of. while there i jokenly asked when can i expect my trans to go out ... he replied " ... haha ... u wanna flip a coin ... if it goes out it should go out within the next 5K miles or so ...".
Old 01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah .. there was really no rhyme or reason to the tranny failures... those that have newer '03's are just now starting to see tranny failures...
Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PeterUbers
Yeah .. there was really no rhyme or reason to the tranny failures... those that have newer '03's are just now starting to see tranny failures...
As to my knowledge, I have only heard about 2 '03 Tranny failures...and both of those were one of the early builds. My '03 is running smoothly *knocks on wood*
Old 01-31-2004, 02:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i had one replaced in early 2001 and mid 2003 if it makes you feel any better
Old 01-31-2004, 02:50 AM
2nd Gear

SO basically its a shot in the dark then... oh well, i got the extended warranty. Around what mileage does the tranny start acting up? Mine's has about 35k...should i be worried?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 30k on my original tranny. I have a 2002 TLS. Despite the fact that I never babied the car, I haven't had any problems. It seems to be a hit or miss thing. While it's still too early to tell, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All '01s to early 03's are subject .. and some will say that all 03's are subject .. but acura only extended the early 03's. But with your '02 .. yes you are subject .. my dealer told me that the 'bad batch' was limited to a 'few' early '01s when I bought my '02. HA .. the joke was on him .. don't believe the dealers .. they are well scripted and hate talking about this black mark on the 2nd gen CL/TL
Old 01-31-2004, 08:52 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by Divindude
All '01s to early 03's are subject .. and some will say that all 03's are subject .. but acura only extended the early 03's. But with your '02 .. yes you are subject .. my dealer told me that the 'bad batch' was limited to a 'few' early '01s when I bought my '02. HA .. the joke was on him .. don't believe the dealers .. they are well scripted and hate talking about this black mark on the 2nd gen CL/TL
Not true! I have 09/03 TL with 100K powertrain ext warranty! I have to card that says so ...
Old 01-31-2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by NYCe-kid
SO basically its a shot in the dark then... oh well, i got the extended warranty. Around what mileage does the tranny start acting up? Mine's has about 35k...should i be worried?
I had 33k on my 2002 TL-P when I traded it for my 2004 TL. I had no problems at that time. Your dealer clearly lied to you about whether your car was susceptible, otherwise I would suggest asking whether the tranny in your car was replaced.

In any case, I think you should just enjoy your ride, it's a nice one, the tranny problem is hit-or-miss, and most people have symptoms before a catastrophic failure anyway.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:25 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Divindude, I have a 2000 TL and I also received the warranty extension. It's in my glove box as we speak.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
All of 2002 has been given the extended transmission warranty, which means that it's possible to have transmission problems. Yeah, your dealer lied to you about that.

Go to www.acura.com, click on "Owners". That'll take you to Acura Owners Link. Register (take a few minutes to enter your VIN number and whatnot) and you will be able to look up recall/waranty information on there. Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:44 PM
MRI_Guru

Thumbs down

What is wrong with the quality of dealers these days? When I bought my 03' TL-S, the saleman was so nice, I bet he would have given me one of his kidneys. Now, eversince my tranny replacement, it is tough to get the guy on the phone. Doesn't he know what the T.L.C. program is? That it includes him and the dealership he works for? I have filed two comlaints with Acura on the type of care I have received.

Not to make a stab at anyone's age here on this forum, but the younger you are (and look), the less truthful people are to you. I am not talking about every sales person out there, but they are out to make a commission. Period. Some will tell you anything to get "their" money from you.

I am 23. I am in the military. It is hard to hide both of those facts. My haircut is always a dead give-away, and I look my age. But that should not dictate the type of service I get.

I have had a better time dealing with BMW and GMC than I have had, so far, with Acura. This should not be the case. We all bought cars that are a step, if not several, above the normal competition out there. I love my car. I just do not like the way the two dealerships that I have dealt with, since my purchase, have handled my problems and questions.

It makes me wonder if I will be a return customer for Acura? I guess only time will tell.

SGT C.J.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Dragging knees in

MRIGURU --

Yes, it is sad.

However, once you sign the papers, it is now between you and the corporate. Dealership simply provides mediation and service on behalf of the corporate. No wonder some salespeople change their attittude 180 degrees.

But I've been fortunate enough to get a decent dealership. Acura of Troy is pretty cool, and their staff is well trained. The girl that I dealt with when I got my car, we still talk whenever we see each other at the dealership and we joke around. She's pretty cool, and I wouldn't hesitate to give her more business (younger brother's considering the TSX).

However, my experience with GM dealerships (3 Chevy and 2 GMC dealerships, to be specific) have not been as pleasant. From the moment I set foot on the showroom to look at their cars, they treated me like dirt. Not to mention their service department. Let's not go there, because it makes my blood pressure go up. I'm 21, but there's no reason for them to treat me like dirt. I was a potential customer, and they never know who I'm shopping for.

Cadillac was different, though. The second I was on the showroom, they treated me like I had a million bucks in cash in my hands. So did Acura of Troy. I like that and wish all dealerships were like that. But that ain't going to happen.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:17 PM
MRI_Guru

Pure Adrenaline,

I understand what you mean about the GM dealership. My experiance was like that of which you had at the Cadillac dealership. In 99', I bought a Denali. I guess it was due to the fact that I was buying that type of vehicle, that I received that kind of service.

SGT. C.J.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by MRIGURU
Pure Adrenaline,

I understand what you mean about the GM dealership. My experiance was like that of which you had at the Cadillac dealership. In 99', I bought a Denali. I guess it was due to the fact that I was buying that type of vehicle, that I received that kind of service.

SGT. C.J.
Eh, I was shopping for an '04 XL Denali, and they treated me better as soon as I mentioned the word "Denali".
Old 01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
ULOOZ

Go to the dealer and have them pull a vin status inquiry. if there will be a campaign note in the campaign field if the factory has added your car to the series.