is this true, quicker shift?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 08:44 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this true, quicker shift?!?!

a friend of mine is interested in getting a TL-S...so he went to an Acura dealership. The salesman told him that one of the known issue with the TL is the slow to respond sport shift, he then said that it can be fix with an aftermarket mod.

Is this true or is the salesman bluffing???

I personally feel that while upshift could use alittle improvement, downshift is fine cuz the car probably needs to calculate weither the rev would be too high if downshift.

anyway, your enlightenment would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Down shift is definitely fine, but I agree with the salesman, upshift is slow to respond. If there is a way to fix that I sure the heck would like to know how.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
there is, AEM's ems sytem ,complete control of your cars computer system, inculding laptop base read outs, and on the fly adjustments,redline ,fuel cut, and shift point and firmness controls are just some of the unique features of this affordable electronic marvel...and for 1800$ you too can own one...
Old 11-29-2001, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

If you really want to shift faster, especially from 1st to 2nd, try shifting manually instead of using the SS mode.... You can also get a few more rev's out of 1st gear too because you can hold it. When you bump the shifter to second it shifts instantly.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:41 AM
Banned

typeR:
Or Unichip...which is quite a bit less (and I'll end up getting it). But luckily both TOTALLY void your warranty forever...so you get that added bonus!

Austin519
Old 11-30-2001, 12:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by GotVTEC
If you really want to shift faster, especially from 1st to 2nd, try shifting manually instead of using the SS mode.... You can also get a few more rev's out of 1st gear too because you can hold it. When you bump the shifter to second it shifts instantly.
SS is the manual mode...are u on something?
Old 11-30-2001, 01:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah, i have been wondering too. i thought what he meant was to physically pull the stick all the way to the bottom 1<->2 place for first gear and stuff?

somehow i thought that way of ****ing could kill your tranny?
Old 11-30-2001, 06:05 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
yet I agree... manually put it into 1-2-D3... will help... but why the hassle........
Old 11-30-2001, 07:30 AM
Instructor

bdimc....he's talking about not using the sport shift, but manually moving the level from one gear to the next.....ya know not up and down, but d1, d2, d3, d4, d4.

Heck, when I test drove the car.....I didn't know a damn thing about sport shift and when the salesman told me about the semi-manual, that's how I first tried shifting.....d1, d2, d3....hahaha
Old 11-30-2001, 12:20 PM
On the way!

GotVTEC's post doesn't make sense. There is NO way of holding first gear on our 5 speeds... The 1<->2 position on the shifter might as well read 1 & 2. All shifting is computer controlled between the two.

You're better off thinking of first and second as one gear.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I think the salesman may be partly correct. The SS is slow to shift from high gears to low gears. I went to Tofino back in the summer. The road is built around the mountains, so it is full of low speed corners, and rapid change in elevations. I tried using the SS to slow from 5th into 4th and into 3th and sometimes even 2th, before going into the low speed corners. It would take almost a full second before the first down shift. Many times I had to brake hard in the middle of the corners because the gear was still too high. Now I'm wiser and downshift the SS way before going into corners.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by fla-tls
GotVTEC's post doesn't make sense. There is NO way of holding first gear on our 5 speeds... The 1<->2 position on the shifter might as well read 1 & 2. All shifting is computer controlled between the two.

no im pretty sure it'll stay in one and bump the rev
Old 11-30-2001, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Try it. You can hold 1st gear if you put it into 1 versus using SportShift.

Old 11-30-2001, 03:46 PM
Instructor

No. I think your post doesn't make sense. On the shifter, if you pull it all the way to the bottom and then push it to the left you are in 1st gear only. When you bump it to the right you are in 2nd gear only. You should get to know your car before calling others out.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Heck, I figured everybody knew this trick! It's the only way YOU can decide when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd, and not the computer. I'm heading out to KCIR to get some 1/4 mile times... i'll try both manually shifting and SS and let you guys know which one gives me a better time. I'm betting on manual shifting because every rev you can gain in 1st gear will put you back in VTEC range that much quicker in 2nd! My SS has been shifting to 2nd at about 6800.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:50 PM
On the way!

No. I think your post doesn't make sense. On the shifter, if you pull it all the way to the bottom and then push it to the left you are in 1st gear only.
JZ39 - You are right.

I just went out and tried it. I've got to thank this forum for teaching me something else about my car!
Old 12-01-2001, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Also id you put the shifter all the way down in 2, the car will start off in 2nd gear and not first which it does in every other position. This may come in real handy in the winter to prevet wheel spin if you are in an area that snows. Sometimes the car just has too much power, and these tires dont help.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:55 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if this has been answered and or if I read this right, but . . . .

YOU CAN HOLD IT IN 1st and it will bump up against the rev-limiter all day long and never shift into 2nd.

Personally I shift "manually most of the time. Have only played with SS a few times - too slow and no control. And Auto mode - D3 - some of the time. I've also done D4, but noticed the shifts are softer and slower than when in manual or D3.

RUF
Old 12-16-2001, 05:01 PM
Lead Footed

Heck, I figured everybody knew this trick! It's the only way YOU can decide when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd, and not the computer. I'm heading out to KCIR to get some 1/4 mile times... i'll try both manually shifting and SS and let you guys know which one gives me a better time. I'm betting on manual shifting because every rev you can gain in 1st gear will put you back in VTEC range that much quicker in 2nd! My SS has been shifting to 2nd at about 6800.
I can tell you which is quicker on the street. I've beaten 2 M3s and and a Mustang GT with the "manual mode". I lost to GT letting it shift and beat him using manual.

I've also done some "not so exact" testing with a stop watch and clearly all of my best times were with the manual mode. The improvements ranged from 2 tenths to 60 to a full 1/2 second to 90MPH.

So Lucy, maybe this 'splains why some folks have questioned my beating the M3s (not E36s mind you) and other cars they can't beat. ;-)

RUF
Old 12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

A few weeks ago I was lined up next to a Grand Prix GTP that I had seen running around my area before. We were next to each other in the left turn lane. Having just read (on this forum) that the car shifts quickly from 1 -> 2 if you manually select 1st gear then slide the lever to the right to shift (which is contrary to my experience), I decided to try it. The light turned green and we both proceeded around the corner, myself in 1st gear the whole time. As soon as I got straight I nailed it and the rev limiter came up QUICK... I slid the lever over to 2nd as quickly as I could and it bumped the limiter a good 6 or 7 more times before it finally shifted. My advice for those who want to try this is to slide the lever to 2nd a good second and a half before you actually want it to shift. My SS is much quicker at upshifting, but of course does not allow you to hold 1st gear.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:14 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by RAdams
A few weeks ago I was lined up next to a Grand Prix GTP that I had seen running around my area before. We were next to each other in the left turn lane. Having just read (on this forum) that the car shifts quickly from 1 -> 2 if you manually select 1st gear then slide the lever to the right to shift (which is contrary to my experience), I decided to try it. The light turned green and we both proceeded around the corner, myself in 1st gear the whole time. As soon as I got straight I nailed it and the rev limiter came up QUICK... I slid the lever over to 2nd as quickly as I could and it bumped the limiter a good 6 or 7 more times before it finally shifted. My advice for those who want to try this is to slide the lever to 2nd a good second and a half before you actually want it to shift. My SS is much quicker at upshifting, but of course does not allow you to hold 1st gear.
RAdams -

Yep, it will do that if you don't shift before it hits the rev-limiter.

The best proceedure I found is to shift as soon as it gets to 7000 and it will hit 7200 before it actually shifts.

When I do this it never hits the rev-limiter and grabs a hard shift to 2nd.

The key is to time it so that you don't bump up against the reve-limiter. If you do it will cause a delay in the shift. It just takes practice and a close eye on the tach. It's actually better to shift at 6900 though if you want have consistency.

RUF