Transmissions Repairs in the GTA Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmissions Repairs in the GTA Area

Loved my TL since they day I got it and could never imagine another car - but unfortunatele this week I joined the club of 2nd genrs having transmission probs. Currently the second to third gear is starting to slip intermittently and figure it's only a matter of time till the car is dead.

I've searched the forums and found lots of US stuff but not much for Canada so I'm reaching out to all the TL's in the GTA/London area to see who's had this issue, but more importantly what experiences they've had with:

1 Which dealerships have been good/bad with supporting and getting Acura to cover some/all the costs
2 Rebuilt transmissions either from Acura or other supplier? How'd have the units held up?

Also seen alot of discussion about the 04's with similar problems and some pressure sensor issues which caused their premature clutch wear - Other than the 2nd gear overheating issues has anyone ever figured out why its also an issue in the 2nd gens? Between my family we've owned 15+ hondas and never seen such an issue before!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
why they fail is covered in other threads - lack of oil passages to 3rd gear clutchpack areas causes heat= wear

design was changed in 2005 for warranty replacement trans --new case

does canada have the 7 year 9 month/ 109kmiles trans warranty from the usa court case?
what are you at for miles/kms and year of car??

was the RECALL external kit for getting oiling to that weak area done on your car?
that was a recall and if certain heat damage is found, they replace trans free as warranty

look at bottem of pages here for `Meets` section- thats for making gatherings of ziners and its broken into areas- so you can look up people and ask for help

the acura unit retails for 4000 usd$ and comes in the new case design with new and used parts inside--its remove and replace as a unit
they are much better than before

A trans shop in your area can do it reusing the same case...
if they have experience..make some calls
there are threads with a parts list of what should be replaced for you to compare
1600-2800 is the range in USD $

if you have a good reason why acura should help you,,tell us what it is!!

read thread titled `Tranny Failure Thread`,,last few pages for how to get goodwill coverage
Having long history of honda cars, serviced at dealer for anything,,those help get a better price
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im in the GTA, haven't done much to my trans. . . im thinking, yet.
It would be good to connect with others who have had experiences with this stuff within the GTA.

- 2000 TL 202k
Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
4th Gear

Thanks 01tl4tl . All that I read related the issues of colling was a second gear overheating at low rpms @ highway speeds- I've not heard of oil passages for third gear in the second gens, only the third gens despite all my time on here searching.

As for the recall I was told at the time of purchase it was done- however I need to look into my history to get more detail and clarify. Not sure if canada has the same USA warranty but its definately a point worth arguing. Will review the tranny failure thread asap and look to the last few pages. My vehicle has 168Km on it but its been taken care of all the way since I got it at 65K. And as for why Acura should do it - personally I think this just comes down to customer satisfaction - I'm in my early 30's and between my dad and myself we've owned 17 cars, 3 dirt bikes and a lawnmower Definately a honda family!

Sanyin - how much milage on your ride? And for sure lets connect with other GTA people - I cringe at the thought of someone other than Acura or me touching the car and especially the tranny however perhaps there are a few good shops out there.

I'm making the call this week so hopefully this works out positively - I'll let you know!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm in Kitchener and i took to the local dealership and they quoted me like 4k or somthin, but said that since it has had all the service done to it there, they would basically cover half so it came out to around 2500. but being good friends with a salesman there probably helped out too :P
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got 202k on the vehicle. Just today i started noticing some probable shudder on 3rd-4th shifts....at about 60km/h. Im tired of being paranoid and listening to every shift and feeling it out and having to go around so many damn forums just so i can stay ahead of continuous problems. Im thinking about running it into a wall, or some other heavy concrete barrier-like obstruction, would be a relief. Lol.

Yea a friend has a 99 TL with 240k on it...some hope there. Gonna look at the shop where he gets work done and get some info, ill also try Mr Transmission on Kennedy, and Acura 2000 on Queen prob.

Better idea, ill run it through the Acura dealership...do some dammage. jk jk. .
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
5th Gear

Took my 2000 American TL to Acura 2000 (only 65K on it)... The tranny was swapped out with the replacement and paid nothing (covered under the tranny warranty) but that was 4 years ago... The guys at Acura 2000 are good, they will work with you and as Double Dee mentioned you can work out a price reduction.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

Thanks - for the feedback and suggestions. My current situation:

The car is at acura west this morning in London I've not had great experiences to date and this is quite ironic actutally after eeviewing my service records.

I had warranty repair to the blower transistor about 30K back (same problem with the blown fuse as per the TSB's on here) and they claimed the warranty only covered blower 'resistors'. I had to kindly explain to them the acura does not use a resistor in these cars and the transistor performed the same funciton (and which a call to Acura canada by them confirmed it was covered)

During this I asked them if they minded asking the technician while testing driving the vehicle to check the transmission as it felt sluggish to me. So as part of the credit back to me the labour they then felt the need to charge me for the 'road test' as part of a new diagnostic - but I have the repair which states - no issues with transmission.

I'm expecting a call later today to see what they say but this will definately be a point of contention as I've had my concerns for a while about the transmission and geting a replacement then vs not would have been a much simpler process.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Advanced

I had to go for my 3rd trans at about 185K Km in July this year. I did not even try for anything else other then the Honda OEM. Talking to Honda, they gave me the price (which they claim is 50% off) of about 3000 CAD including tax. I spoke with Acura 2000 in Brampton and they also offered me the same price claiming that they will fix it i.e. re-build it for the exact same price (which leads me to believe that that is the actual price even though Honda and/or some other dealerships claim they are doing you a favor). I have also contacted all GTA dealerships and none offered me anything other than to tell me to contact Honda.
I went with Acura 2000 and paid 3K CAD, since they were also closest to me. I can tell you that my experience with them was not the best even though they changed my original, first trans which went well at the time. I had to go back at least 4 times (I lost count) for things that were not installed/put back properly (it came to the point of being beyond ridiculous and I could not believe it).
Ultimately they fixed those BUT, there is a big BUT in my case when it comes to trans. I am still having issues with this “new” one i.e. jerky shifts especially 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th etc. but strangely not always. I complained and dealership tested it but they did not want to admit that problem exists. The warranty on these units is 20K Km and/or 1 year which ever happens first of course. So for now, I will wait and see since I am still within warranty limits.
It is worth mentioning that in my case, this time, the issue with the trans was bearing that progressively got really noisy. It actually started manifested as trans fluid leak on the driver’s side from around half-shaft where it goes into the trans plus the noise.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
02 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by devst8n
Loved my TL since they day I got it and could never imagine another car - but unfortunatele this week I joined the club of 2nd genrs having transmission probs. Currently the second to third gear is starting to slip intermittently and figure it's only a matter of time till the car is dead.

I've searched the forums and found lots of US stuff but not much for Canada so I'm reaching out to all the TL's in the GTA/London area to see who's had this issue, but more importantly what experiences they've had with:

1 Which dealerships have been good/bad with supporting and getting Acura to cover some/all the costs
2 Rebuilt transmissions either from Acura or other supplier? How'd have the units held up?

Also seen alot of discussion about the 04's with similar problems and some pressure sensor issues which caused their premature clutch wear - Other than the 2nd gear overheating issues has anyone ever figured out why its also an issue in the 2nd gens? Between my family we've owned 15+ hondas and never seen such an issue before!
I have an extra 2G TL-S transmission that was taken out of a car that went to the scrapyard...the car had less than 100k (I ran the car fax report on the car) and the transmission has a honda sticker on it that reads "RMH" which someone told me means that the transmission has been rebuilt by Honda (it is less likely to give you any problem)

Let me know if you are interested in it. I bought it in case I need it but never needed it in the last two years, I can make use of the garage space for something else.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
7th Gear

This mechanic is in Carlisle. I had my tranny done. I copied this from my message box.
Had it done in Feb.10, runs great, all in with front motor mount $1,850. Acura in Burlington quoted $6,400 less taxes.

YOU ARE IN LUCK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I jsut referred another tl member and he just got his trans built for under 1800!...

call my guy his name is rob, he's a master tech and is a PRO.

You are lucky!!!

ask belcom he just got his trans built a few days ago and is HAPPY AS HELL HE RAN INTO ME.

Rob's number is 19054836247

my name is robbie also Ironically, so tell him robbie with the silver CL-S sent you and he'll hook you up. He is close to hamilton too in Carlise.

Call him today he'll pick up the phone.

He is a really good guy more than a good mechanic. You will be in good hands