Which transmission swap would you go with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which transmission swap would you go with?

So my transmission died a violent death and needs to be replaced. I got an estimate on the following from a shop in Mountain View, CA:

Rebuilt tl transmission/w 1 year warranty: ~$2500
Used AV6 unrebuilt, no warranty: ~$3000
Rebuilt AV6 transmission/w no warranty: ~$3500

My car has 113k miles on it, so I think it's got a lot of life left in it.

I'm willing to spring the extra money for the AV6 swap, but am curious whether any of you with the Accord tranny have had any problems after putting in a unit that hasn't been rebuilt.

Between the rebuilt tl trans and a non-rebuilt AV6 trans, which do you guys think would be the better choice?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
I would say low mileage AV6 and a 3x3 of DW1 atf. Now $3000 for the trans, you need to keep looking theres other members getting them in the range of $1000.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
I would go always with the UN-rebuilt AV6.. Why? Cuz you don't know the quality of the rebuild or what in fact they are charging with the rebuild.. Some shops just change the clutch packs and call it a day while some others rebuilt it to factory specs.

Whatever you do:
DONT GET ANOTHER TL TRANS!!!! It doesn't matter its rebuilt.

And what the hell with those prices? I got my AV6 for 900 bucks! another guy just got it for 700...
3000? Better get another complete TL-S or better yet.. Get a CL-S 6 Speedo and swap for the MANUAL and be one of the happiest man alive.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Replace. Do not rebuild.

Rebuilds won't last as long and still cost you the same money or less with a used or rebuilt replacement .
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Question Installed prices....?

Originally Posted by kaiser.socei
So my transmission died a violent death and needs to be replaced. I got an estimate on the following from a shop in Mountain View, CA:
Rebuilt tl transmission/w 1 year warranty: ~$2500
Used AV6 unrebuilt, no warranty: ~$3000
Rebuilt AV6 transmission/w no warranty: ~$3500

Are all of these prices including installation ?

Get a second opinion or two on the Accord V6's tranny swap as it seems too high....probably because the shop doesn't want to do it.

If ya should happen to decide that ya like their low ball rebuild offer, ya really need a much better warranty than one year, IMO.

In the long run, a low mileage AV6 will serve ya better....so look for another shop.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
10th Gear

Thanks 3.2 TLc, I'll take that advice. I called around and found an AV6 with 67k for $1200 delivered from a local salvage yard. I'm waiting to hear back from the tranny shop as to whether they will do the swap for me or not. Said they'll get back to me tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this swap goes. I think I'd rather have the AV6...

And yea, those prices all fluids and labor. Alternatively, if one of the forum members wants to help me do the swap I'd pay well for labor. ;-)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey Kaiser, i got 2002 tl-s, since you live close by, pls let me know how you swap worked out. My tranny is working ok, but I dont expect to last a long time as I am not changing atf at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Thanks 3.2 TLc, I'll take that advice. I called around and found an AV6 with 67k for $1200 delivered from a local salvage yard. I'm waiting to hear back from the tranny shop as to whether they will do the swap for me or not. Said they'll get back to me tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this swap goes. I think I'd rather have the AV6...

And yea, those prices all fluids and labor. Alternatively, if one of the forum members wants to help me do the swap I'd pay well for labor. ;-)
Dont call it a swap. Most shops run away from it or will charge you more since you are calling it a swap. Other than changing out a few sensors/range switch its a direct bolt on and nothing custom has to be done. Just ask shops how much to install a (new/used) transmission. Just take off the range switch and have them swap over your solenoids (or preferably get new ones and install them before they install the trans)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
10th Gear

That's a very good point fsttyms1, I'll use the "replace" language from now on. I'll also consider the solenoids since I don't know what kind of condition mine are in. Those are expensive!

Guyenacurazine, I'll update this thread as things get done. I'm leaving for vacation on the 16th, so hopefully I'll be able to get this all done before then. If not, it'll have to wait till the new year.

Just my luck, car has to break down during the coldest part of the year. At least it don't snow in norcal right?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dont call it a swap. Most shops run away from it or will charge you more since you are calling it a swap. Other than changing out a few sensors/range switch its a direct bolt on and nothing custom has to be done. Just ask shops how much to install a (new/used) transmission. Just take off the range switch and have them swap over your solenoids (or preferably get new ones and install them before they install the trans)
Chris, just curious, why would you swap the older, probably more worn solenoids? I left all the solenoids and sensors in the low mileage accord trans. when I changed my daughter's. I did replace the 2 pressure switches later with new ones. (00 Acura application, not 07 Honda application) I did this because I'm getting a phantom pressure switch code; it doesn't even turn on the cel. The trans has no symptoms, and shifts fine. The switches didn't help.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Racer

That's a very good point fsttyms1, I'll use the "replace" language from now on. I'll also consider the solenoids since I don't know what kind of condition mine are in. Those are expensive!

Guyenacurazine, I'll update this thread as things get done. I'm leaving for vacation on the 16th, so hopefully I'll be able to get this all done before then. If not, it'll have to wait till the new year.

Just my luck, car has to break down during the coldest part of the year. At least it don't snow in norcal right?
aLRIGHT have a good vacation then. Ya, the weather is terrible these days breaking record), it is killing me hopefully it will get better over the weekend.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by guyenacurazine
My tranny is working ok, but I dont expect to last a long time as I am not changing atf at all.
Why are you not at least doing a D&F?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tosh
Why are you not at least doing a D&F?
What is d f anyways???
Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

What is d f anyways???
Drain and Fill
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Eurotrash

D&F is easier than an OC with FC...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Racer

D&F is easier than an OC with FC...
what is OC with FC anyways???
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Eurotrash

Secret codes for burly men who actually work on their own cars.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Chris, just curious, why would you swap the older, probably more worn solenoids? I left all the solenoids and sensors in the low mileage accord trans. when I changed my daughter's. I did replace the 2 pressure switches later with new ones. (00 Acura application, not 07 Honda application) I did this because I'm getting a phantom pressure switch code; it doesn't even turn on the cel. The trans has no symptoms, and shifts fine. The switches didn't help.
because if you swap them over you can clean them and make sure they are clean, but personally i would replace. They really are the heart of the trans. If they dont hold pressure/allow the correct pressure your trans fails.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Safety Car

what is OC with FC anyways???

1st rhymes with soil and the second rhymes with druid.

The Thank you button is on the bottom right hand corner. with 50 thank yous I get a key chain.
The following users liked this post:
guyenacurazine (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Eurotrash

Wrong, Smarty Pants! Subtract 10 points...

Oil Change with Filter Change.
guyenacurazine (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Wrong, Smarty Pants! Subtract 10 points...

Oil Change with Filter Change.

Point taken

FC could also mean fluid change. Wheres my automotive abbreviation dictionary. Somewhere here. Misplaced it.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Racer

i definitely feel hesitation during acceleration when in 3rd gear. it is mild for now. couple of shaking feeling lasts about a second or half. That is after I towed 2200lb about 1000miles for vacation trip

Wonder how kaiser.socei's tranny replacement is going. I am expecting my tranny will go belly up soon. Either will replace tranny with accord or just get a new car Would prefer cheaper option
Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I would go always with the UN-rebuilt AV6.. Why? Cuz you don't know the quality of the rebuild or what in fact they are charging with the rebuild.. Some shops just change the clutch packs and call it a day while some others rebuilt it to factory specs.

Whatever you do:
DONT GET ANOTHER TL TRANS!!!! It doesn't matter its rebuilt.

And what the hell with those prices? I got my AV6 for 900 bucks! another guy just got it for 700...
3000? Better get another complete TL-S or better yet.. Get a CL-S 6 Speedo and swap for the MANUAL and be one of the happiest man alive.

Visiting back this thread, I went to another tranny shop recommended by the shop and they said they will only replace with the same tranny from manufacturer when I asked whether they can install honda transmission. Also they said they will rebuild. Looks like I hit a wall this time too.
Was looking for a shop who can install HONDA tranny. I remember in another thread folds who installed the honda tranny is doing well. I even remember I researched around and posted the 5figit tranny code in that thread.
IF possible i d really like someone or shop who can install CL6 manual tranny in many area. That would be awesome
Sigh, Thanks,
Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Visiting back this thread, I went to another tranny shop recommended by the shop and they said they will only replace with the same tranny from manufacturer when I asked whether they can install honda transmission. Also they said they will rebuild. Looks like I hit a wall this time too.
Was looking for a shop who can install HONDA tranny. I remember in another thread folds who installed the honda tranny is doing well. I even remember I researched around and posted the 5figit tranny code in that thread.
IF possible i d really like someone or shop who can install CL6 manual tranny in many area. That would be awesome
Sigh, Thanks,
DONT tell them its a honda trans. Buy the trans, replace/remove the solenoids that are required to swap, bring it in to the shop and ask how much to install a used trans, dont tell them its a swap or from another vehicle.
3.2TLc (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Honda "AV6" or Acura CL "S" 6speed

Visiting back this thread, I went to another tranny shop and they said they will only replace with the same tranny from manufacturer when I asked whether they can install honda transmission. Also they said they will rebuild. Was looking for a shop who can install HONDA tranny.

IF possible i d really like someone or shop who can install CL6 manual tranny in many area. That would be awesome .....Sigh, Thanks,

Hey Guyenacurazine, if ya have a good solid 2nd Gen TL and it's in need of a tranny, then in reality..... the best cost effective remedy for the long haul would be the better designed "AV6" donor which is essentially a direct bolt-in replacement for our old original ailing and frail 5 speed AT.

While it's still possible to locate a CL-S 6 speed stick, there will be more labor expenses to have someone to install it for ya. But, if ya love your car and wanna have some true fun for years to come, just do it !!!

Check for a donor tranny to get an idea on availabilty and costs involved. For installing, research this site's "Regions" sub-forum. Ya may be able to get hooked up with someone closer to your area who can assist ya with finding an installer. Also, run the proposition by some of your local tranny or speed shops....as they may know of somebody willing to undertake your stick conversion project.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
While it's still possible to locate a CL-S 6 speed stick, there will be more labor expenses to have someone to install it for ya. But, if ya love your car and wanna have some true fun for years to come, just do it !!!
Actually there shouldnt be any more labor cost in just the installation of the trans. Everything is a direct bolt up and nothing special or custom needs to be done. Now having the rest of the wiring associated with the swap done will add more labor cost.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:49 PM

From the Same Manufacturer? Well that's HONDA! You can literally found Honda logos everywhere in the car..
Windows > Engine parts > Ashtray..

If they ask you even the Acura transmission is from Honda just tell them everything is from Honda..
Acura is just a Brand Name and TL is just an Accord on Steroids.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skirmich
From the Same Manufacturer? Well that's HONDA! You can literally found Honda logos everywhere in the car..
Windows > Engine parts > Ashtray..

If they ask you even the Acura transmission is from Honda just tell them everything is from Honda..
Acura is just a Brand Name and TL is just an Accord on Steroids.
Ya just realized that! Same manufacturer different marketing. Actually Acura models are labelled Honda in asian countries AFAIK. But guy just did not wanna listen to "Honda" tranmission he just wanted the same tranny that came out of "Acura". WT..?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Racer

Hey Guyenacurazine, if ya have a good solid 2nd Gen TL and it's in need of a tranny, then in reality..... the best cost effective remedy for the long haul would be the better designed "AV6" donor which is essentially a direct bolt-in replacement for our old original ailing and frail 5 speed AT.

Check for a donor tranny to get an idea on availabilty and costs involved. For installing, research this site's "Regions" sub-forum. Ya may be able to get hooked up with someone closer to your area who can assist ya with finding an installer. Also, run the proposition by some of your local tranny or speed shops....as they may know of somebody willing to undertake your stick conversion project.
By AV6, you mean Honda transmission right? Sorry I looked up some time ago for codes and not on top of my memory. I will look around regions to see, but I think I posted there long time ago regarding this. I need to look back my posing history.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs up "AV6" = Automatic tranny from '06>'07 Honda Accord V-6

By AV6, you mean Honda transmission right?
Yeppur !!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Ya just realized that! Same manufacturer different marketing. Actually Acura models are labelled Honda in asian countries AFAIK. But guy just did not wanna listen to "Honda" tranmission he just wanted the same tranny that came out of "Acura". WT..?

A lot of trans shops are scared of swaps since they have to give some sort of warranty on their jobs. If you install an Acura transmission (Ironic) to an Acura? Well they think it has to work spot on with no issues..
But a Swap? A swap can go wrong in many ways so they will have to deal with the aftermath.

Just buy the AV6 and don't tell its from a Honda just tell them its a newer version that was installed later in your TL gen life (Like the revision in trans installed in 2005 recalls) and you must install your Solenoids and ATF Warmer for it to work properly in your car since "Acura" didn't use the same ECU for those years.. If you have a 2001 tell them it comes from a 2003 with a revised 2005 transmission and done! No more issues.

Never use keywords like "SWAP", "ACCORD", "HONDA" in a Trans Shop..

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-24-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
What about the power steering hose loop for the TL-p guys?
They will cry when they notice power steering sensor wont go on the new trans.
But by the time they notice it might be inside the car already.

I guess you can have the print out ready of the hose loop for them when they call you about it.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Racer

posted at regional forum several days ago, 54 views nobody comes forward:
https://acurazine.com/forums/search....rchid=15346514
Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Check your auto recycler's who dismantle salvaged cars within your local area.
There's got to be a yard somewhere within driving distance near ya. They can help ya locate the "AV6" donor tranny and perhaps even install it for ya. They have connections with shops and mechanics who may be willing to do the work for ya. gotta be persistent.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Racer

found this thread. there seem to be some parts exchange needed:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=HONDA
Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Racer

i have dyi plan here posted on faq 06 07 but just double post here in case if you have any opinion:
I am actually considering the possibility that I do the swap myself into my tranny issue equation. I looked around places/individuals but no success. Shops wont do a swap but some ppl suggested dont tell at all it is a swap. That is possiblity but could it be risky?

For now I am just weighing the possibility and considering pros and cons of doing myself but not quite decided yet:
pros+
- Have a experiencing replacing clutch when I owned honda civic crx. But compared to it, it is much simpler design, manual tranny. That was long time ago. My financial situation is much better than I was in college during time I was working on my honda, so money is not a big issue.
- Thinking to rent a car storage and do it there since I live in condo. I have additional motorcycle so I can carry some tools/parts from stores while I am fixing

Now cons-
- it is a back breaking work, dealing with stuck bolts, or some unforeseen obstacles, felt the frustration before.
- Dont know how much complication will be during swap since I am first timer on this model
- I wont be able to do a grocery for some time

And some add'l question,
- I will definitely use this thread as a guide but most likely I will need either Helms or Haynes manual to do actual swap to through the steps. I do remember I used either oh these manual when I worked on my civic in the past, but dont remember which one. I do also remember one of them was suggested to be much more better, accurate and higher in quality than other by other members in the respective user forum, I dont remember which one.

- Prior to work, probably need to setup, rent storage place and major heavy tools required, most comes into mind is to rent engine lifter ready. What else???
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Question DIY tranny swap.....pros vs: cons

Shops wont do a swap but some ppl suggested dont tell at all it is a swap. That is possiblity but could it be risky?

pros+
- That was long time ago. My financial situation is much better than I was in college during time I was working on my honda, so money is not a big issue.
- I have additional motorcycle so I can carry some tools/parts from stores while I am fixing

Now cons-
- Thinking to rent a car storage and do it there since I live in a condo.
- It's back breaking work, dealing with stuck bolts, some unforeseen obstacles, felt frustration before.
- Dont know how much complication will be during swap since I am first timer on this model
- Prior to work, probably need to setup, rent storage place and major heavy tools required, most comes into mind is to rent engine lifter ready.
It seems to me that your cons outweigh the pros at this time.
Download a copy of the Factory Service Manual to fully understand the procedure.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

i have dyi plan here posted on faq 06 07 but just double post here in case if you have any opinion:
I am actually considering the possibility that I do the swap myself into my tranny issue equation. I looked around places/individuals but no success. Shops wont do a swap but some ppl suggested dont tell at all it is a swap. That is possiblity but could it be risky?

For now I am just weighing the possibility and considering pros and cons of doing myself but not quite decided yet:
pros+
- Have a experiencing replacing clutch when I owned honda civic crx. But compared to it, it is much simpler design, manual tranny. That was long time ago. My financial situation is much better than I was in college during time I was working on my honda, so money is not a big issue.
- Thinking to rent a car storage and do it there since I live in condo. I have additional motorcycle so I can carry some tools/parts from stores while I am fixing

Now cons-
- it is a back breaking work, dealing with stuck bolts, or some unforeseen obstacles, felt the frustration before.

And some add'l question,
- I will definitely use this thread as a guide but most likely I will need either Helms or Haynes manual to do actual swap to through the steps. I do remember I used either oh these manual when I worked on my civic in the past, but dont remember which one. I do also remember one of them was suggested to be much more better, accurate and higher in quality than other by other members in the respective user forum, I dont remember which one.

- Prior to work, probably need to setup, rent storage place and major heavy tools required, most comes into mind is to rent engine lifter ready. What else???
Its NOT a swap in the sense that there is a lot of customization needed. The trans is a DIRECT bolt on. The only things are the few solenoids and range selector. Quit thinking of it as a swap. Its not.

There isnt any difference between what you did with the clutch on the civic and the auto on the TL (other than weight) There is NO need to rent storage for anything. ALL you need is a (2 is better) floor jack and some jack stands.

Helms manual is best. A search of the forum will give you the DL link to down load it.
guyenacurazine (08-30-2014)
Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Racer

update on my tranny: identified another local tranny shop (in bay area, peninsula, called "redwood city transmission") that will replace honda tranny into my acura-tl-s for 660$. Previous one I contacted were some nugger who will not consider replacing with another tranny. (posted earlier). Now I just need to find the actual BAYA/MAYA transmision. I have been away so long time, I barely remembers the AV6 tranny code.

Also on another thread, soeone posted make sure not to use torque converter from the acura tl tranny, any other hints would be amazing.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I used the t.q. from the donor trans.(07 accord)

Quick Reply: Which transmission swap would you go with?