Transmission Slipping has... stopped on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Slipping has... stopped on its own?

I bought my 2002 Acura TL with 219k miles on it. When I first got it, the transmission would always slip whenever going up a hill. Before, all i had to do was downshift or put it into D4 and it would go away.

Now that it's being used more often, that previous problem has gone away. I'm glad it's gone away, and I hope that I can keep the car as long as possible.

I'm sorry of a similar thread is somewhere else but... what can i do to keep my transmission lasting as long as it can? *since i bought the car with 219k miles on it, i don't know if the previous owner ever changed the transmission fluid* Thanks for your guys! it would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Volks FTW!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had this happen to me before on my other car. Problem went away for a while but came right back. Hope yours stays gone lol.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

Hope that helps............I've heard of some other people that used that same technique
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
that will help when its the 5th gear clutch pack wears out first

try a 3 qt fluid change,,many are using ~other than acura fluid~ to revive and prolong trans life when issues appear
see the other fluid threads
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these are the worst transmissions know to mankind!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
^I disagree.

My trans started throwing codes about the 3rd gear clutch pack. The CEL and TCS light would come on, and I would just reset the ECU. After about a month of it throwing codes and me resetting it, it eventually stopped throwing codes. 20k later, no problems.

I'm very satisfied with my transmission.

Now only if my hail damage would fix itself.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Banned

Causes of Transmission Slipping Problems
Now, what could be the probable causes of transmission slipping problems? Well, there is not one, but actually there are many reasons, that could individually or altogether cause a havoc in your automatic transmission! Some of the most common causes of transmission slipping problems are:
  • Broken Transmission Bands: Transmission bands actually link the the entire transmission gear set. Break in any of the bands, can cut the link and therefore lead to malfunctioning of the gear system. Sometimes improperly or loosely adjusted transmission bands can also result in a transmission slippage.
  • Incorrect Levels of Transmission Fluids: Adequate transmission fluid is one of the most important aspect, contributing to efficient working of the automatic transmission. Fluid levels going down can adversely affect the gear system and further lead to slippage.
  • Improper Torque Conversion: For proper functioning of the automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be at the right pressure and the gear system should receive enough power to work. All these things are done by the torque converter. An occurrence of fault in it can result in a system failure.
  • Broken Transmission Gears: Apart from bands, sometimes broken gear linking can also pose a problem to the shifting and working of the transmission, thus leading to the transmission slipping out of gear, when the vehicle is running. Read more on car parts.
Transmission Slipping Symptoms
Some of the most common transmission slipping symptoms are discussed below.
  • Delay in Acceleration: It is very common that you would find that the acceleration is delaying. You would feel that your vehicle has lost power and the vehicle is not able to pick up as it usually does.
  • Increase in Revolutions Per Minute: The revolutions per minute normally stays under 3000. But, if they are exceeding this limit, then probably the problem is of a transmission slip. This is another important transmission slipping sign.
  • Problems in Downshifting: Your vehicle slows down, whenever you transit into the next gear.
  • Vehicle Gliding: If there's a transmission slip, then the vehicle glides ahead for a long time, even when you take your leg off the accelerator.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by ditzola
Causes of Transmission Slipping Problems
Now, what could be the probable causes of transmission slipping problems? Well, there is not one, but actually there are many reasons, that could individually or altogether cause a havoc in your automatic transmission! Some of the most common causes of transmission slipping problems are:
  • Broken Transmission Bands: Transmission bands actually link the the entire transmission gear set. Break in any of the bands, can cut the link and therefore lead to malfunctioning of the gear system. Sometimes improperly or loosely adjusted transmission bands can also result in a transmission slippage.
  • Incorrect Levels of Transmission Fluids: Adequate transmission fluid is one of the most important aspect, contributing to efficient working of the automatic transmission. Fluid levels going down can adversely affect the gear system and further lead to slippage.
  • Improper Torque Conversion: For proper functioning of the automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be at the right pressure and the gear system should receive enough power to work. All these things are done by the torque converter. An occurrence of fault in it can result in a system failure.
  • Broken Transmission Gears: Apart from bands, sometimes broken gear linking can also pose a problem to the shifting and working of the transmission, thus leading to the transmission slipping out of gear, when the vehicle is running. Read more on car parts.
Transmission Slipping Symptoms
Some of the most common transmission slipping symptoms are discussed below.
  • Delay in Acceleration: It is very common that you would find that the acceleration is delaying. You would feel that your vehicle has lost power and the vehicle is not able to pick up as it usually does.
  • Increase in Revolutions Per Minute: The revolutions per minute normally stays under 3000. But, if they are exceeding this limit, then probably the problem is of a transmission slip. This is another important transmission slipping sign.
  • Problems in Downshifting: Your vehicle slows down, whenever you transit into the next gear.
  • Vehicle Gliding: If there's a transmission slip, then the vehicle glides ahead for a long time, even when you take your leg off the accelerator.
Add "Drunken Automotive Engineers" to the list.

Most problems with our transmissions is caused by the 3rd gear clutch pack. Not much fluid (if at all) gets to the clutch pack for efficient cooling. As such, metal shavings fall off. These shavings can block other passages for transmission fluid to get to, causing even more problems.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

the crud likes to clog the fluid outlet screen filters in the TC,
so no fluid going anywhere to power the gears~

for the poster with recent TL purchase- try 3 qts of type F fluid or redline racing atf
see if that restores good grip and delays trans death
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Ditzola, you forgot to mention that dreadful "sudden 5th-to-2nd gear downshift at highway speed" case that has known to occur for 2G TL/CL, and could throw the car into a nasty spin on the highways.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

thats the problem the recall corrected
it installed a line that inserts at the atf fill hole on top of trans- shoots oil directly
at 2nd gear shaft- so it doesnt overheat and snap- causing the sudden downshift, exciting moment for you and the person tailgating you,,and trans replacement

our remaining problem is the lack of enough cooling flow to the 2nd and 3rd gear clutch plates (its a stack of them like motorcycle wet clutch) and not enough room for more plates to take the torque of the engine