Transmission Revolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Revolt!!

If you had or are having problems with your Accord V6, Tl, Cl, Tl-s, or Cl-s transmission, please post here and tell your story. This makes me sick to see that Honda isn't trying to do something. I am so glad that my mom chose the RL over the TL, considering that she just got rid of her old lemon ('00 Catera).

Somebody needs to start a petition and tell Honda to do something. The TL is the number one selling entry level luxury sedan and Honda is known for reliability. I am concerned because the '99 TL had a 4spd auto and it too, along with the '00+ 5spd autos, are having problems. The RL has a 4spd auto, so is it going to start doing that gear slipping, clutch dropping stuff?? The RL has only had one problem a malfunctioning power window switch and the dealer tried to charge us for that, until I flipped on the them, then all of a sudden the warranty covered everything. For now we are overall happy with the RL (damn good leather) and would buy again, but if that transmission blows then we are going to Infiniti. My dad currently has a '98 Jag Xj6 with major engine problems so we are looking to buy a GS or Q45.

I can't believe somebody hasn't protested yet. The RSX-S people have protested and posted pics of them doing it. I have seen Legends with 250+ thousand miles and still running fine. And a $7,000 transmission is a horrible thing to pay for, most cases are under warranty but imagine the people that aren't under warranty. If owned a TL-S and the transmission blew up and I had to pay $7000, I dont know what I would do, but trust me you would read about it!
Old 02-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
No problem with my TL yet, but it only has 18,000 miles on it. My Accord though, the tranny went @ 100,000 miles. Honda wanted to charge me $4000 canadian. I flipped, as my previous Accord, (1992 Accord), never had any problems when I got rid of it when I bought my TL in July 2002. Well, I ended up paying after fighting with the dealer and Honda Canada $1500 CDN. Not bad when you take into account the mileage and the fact that it was 40,000 miles out of warranty. So if you whine enough, Honda, unlike other manufacturers will step up. But you must be persistant.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truth is they would do something to avoid the bad publicity. I am sure if every person who mentioned tranny problems signed up to send them a complaint for some kind of explanation and compensation, Acura/Honda would have no choice. They worked for years to build a reputation for reliability and do not want to jeopardize that. I doubt though that you can get everyone to post and agree to file a formal complaint. Most people don't want to be bothered with the process even if the end result is really good. The truth is I feel my tranny working differently than before but that might just be the cold winter now.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

what is there to protest against? they are fixing every car under warranty. what more can they do?
Old 02-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Racer

Originally posted by mr tl
what is there to protest against? they are fixing every car under warranty. what more can they do?
the only thing a petition would do is cause them to redesign the tranny for '04 or later (which would do us no good). If you are concerned about it, buy an extended warranty.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Not only should they replace under warranty, they should admit there is a problem. And if mine happens to breakdown after the warranty is gone, they should replace it without any lip!!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by rickslick
Not only should they replace under warranty, they should admit there is a problem. And if mine happens to breakdown after the warranty is gone, they should replace it without any lip!!
No manufacturer is going to admit there is a problem since 1) there is no safety hazard, 2) it will cause every idiot to come and complian about the slightest hesitation in their car demanding a trany swap, 3) if it's no questions asked nobody will every do any tranny maintinence and will drive it to readline every chane they get.

I agree the trannys are weak and should not be blowing at <20K miles no matter how you drive, but unless people are realisitc when they complain to Honda/Acura the company will not take your complain seriously.