Transmission, Please don't die...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission, Please don't die...

Yesterday I noticed the automatic tranmission wasn't shifting as smoothly as it usually does. Just then I was driving to my girlfriend's house when I realized something horrible was happening to the transmission. I had the shifter on D4. When I gassed up, the car would revv through 1st gear and go into neutral for like 2 seconds. Meanwhile my foot is still on the gas and I see my tach rev up to 6000 rpm in neutral before it shifts into 2nd gear. The same thing happens from 2nd to 3rd. When it does shift it is very jerky and bumpy. It's like the car is hiccuping. I have read many horror stories here about dead transmission. I might join the dead transmission club very soon unfortunately. The sad thing is that my car only has 5400 miles on it. I baby it when I drive it. I've never redlined it before. Actually, I've never gone over 100mph on it yet. Guess I'll bring it into the dealer tomorrow. Lets see what kind of bull crap they tell me.

I'm so pis--d off right now, arrrrghhhhh.......
Old 11-27-2001, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry to say, welcome to the club. Have a seat, take a load off because it's gonna be awhile before you get your new tranny. I was told yesterday that it will be late Dec. before I get a new tranny (my 3rd in 27000 miles). Since this is the 2nd time I'm having it replaced, my dealership is trying to pull some strings to get me moved up on the waiting list. I'm sure they'll have no luck.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:37 PM
Racer

Me too, I am starting to get scared!!!

Is there something we can do to prevent the tranny to die?
Sometrhing we can say to the dealer or Acura????
Old 11-28-2001, 12:46 AM
bluLEGEND

if its gonna die, id rather it die sooner and get a lasting replacement. However, it looks like replacements suck too.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:45 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Next thing you know, we'll have a meet for the dead tranny club. Maybe snook can make us shirts!

:-jon
Old 11-28-2001, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Final Verdict

My transmission is dead. Thank god I was on my way to the Acura service dept when it died otherwise I would have been stranded on the highway going to work. It was only a 10 minute drive to the service dept, but I noticed the misshifts from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th getting longer (stays in neutral between shifts). Then about 2 miles from the service dept the tranny downshifted automatically from a cruising speed to 2nd gear and would not upshift higher than 2nd gear. At times it would not even engage 2nd gear. It would just stay in neutral when I gassed it up. During this time the engine icon light, "VSA" text and VSA exclaimation icon all lit up at stayed on. The "D5" shift indicator next to the tachometer started flashing. When I put the car in SS the gear indicator would not light up. Basically the tranny is totally confused.

Finally!!! I made it to the Acura dealer. I left my car running so the service guy could see all the crap that was lit up. I explained to him the situation. He didn't seem to worried about the problem. I asked him if anyone else has brought in dead trannies before. He said nope. (Sure dude). He said it's probably the solenoid. Ok, if he never had a dead tranny problem with this car before then how did he immediately know what was wrong. Sound's fishy!!!

So now I'm driving around in a 4-banger Corolla. After driving my TL-S it's really hard to drive such an underpowered, small car. I can actually hear the engine whine in this car

I hope this unfortunate situation doesn't happen to anyone else. Best of luck to all of your trannies because if this does happen to you, well, it's not a good feeling.

Tune in for more updates...
Old 11-28-2001, 09:28 AM
On the way!

Ahhhh!

oblio98, it sounds like if we have a dead tranny meet, we'll all show up driving Corollas like Dr.Bear! No, really, it's a TL meet!!!!

(just kidding - I've got 5500 miles w/no problems - yet)
Old 11-28-2001, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Dr.Bear --

I see youre a local -- I may need your help. Is it safe to assume you went to RickCase Acura? I purchased my car there as well. Did they give you a hard time? I guess it helps that the car was going through its tranny problems when you pulled up.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Redlined:

3 times for the same major problem places you as an easy candidate for a new car....you've got a lemon brotha....

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/lawfirms.asp?State=va

Old 11-28-2001, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Hi Lauderdale TL

I bought my car from S. Florida Acura and bring it there for service. Oscar Luna is the service head hancho there. He's very nice and listens to my complaints with respect. Basically I told him my tranny problems and he said he'll do a diagnosis on it. I dropped the car off this morning and called him back this afternoon to find out what was going on. He told me I need a new tranny. When I asked him what happened to my tranny he didn't really have a clear response. Acura must'v e screwed something up big time with the tranny to have to hide the answer. Maybe they don't want to have to go through the expense of having to recall all the TLs on the road. Hummmmm??? I still need to find out when the new tranny will be here and installed. Guess I'm stuck with this AWESOME Corolla for serveral more days, weeks or even months

Peace out everyone...
Old 11-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your tranny. Hope everything goes well with the new tranny coming in.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:56 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This dead tranny problem is beginning to get out of hand. I really hope all of you guys get it replace asap and that it will last.

Redlined- like DallasTypeS said, check out the lemon law because this is your third time. It doesn't hurt to check it out.

Good luck guys!