transmission getting stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post transmission getting stuck!

I was at my buddies house parked in his inclined driveway, i've never had a problem before but this time when i got into my car and tried to shift it into reverse, the stick was stuck in park, so i turned the wheel and it released, but the next day i was in the car wash bay and i went to get out of the bay but when i tried to shift it into drive it wouldn't leave park, i tried turning the wheel and everything, it was stuck , so i had to put the key in the gear release hole next to the stick then shift it into neutral then start the car and shift into drive, man that was wierd!! whats the deal?

------------------
2000 TL, Satin Silver, Burlwood shifter, Fog light ports, front air dam, grill and mud gaurds custom painted to match car! 18" Alba Blaze with 235/40ZR18 Toyo Proxes F4
Old 04-04-2001, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I can think of it that you didn't use the parking brake. If you park on an incline and just throw it in "P" the weight of the car is being supported by the transmission. On very slight inclines you will notice that it's harder to move the shift lever -- as the inclines get sharper it will be that much harder to move it. Obviously if your shift lever won't move easily you should take it to the dealer to be inspected.

In the future, do your car a favor and set the parking brake before you shift to "P" so that the weight of the car is supported by the rear brakes, not the transmission. You'll notice it's a lot easier to shift if you do this.

(This is NOT a TL-specific problem... the same behavior will be exhibited in ANY car with an automatic)

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 04-04-2001, 09:29 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the parking brake theory. Also, make sure you are firmly stepping on the brake pedal before trying to shift out of park. The shiftlock solenoid is actuated by applying the brake- yours may need adjustment. If the problem continues, take it to your dealer- they should be able to adjust or repair it for you under warranty.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura