Tranny warranty clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny warranty clarification

As clarification, can someone please explain exactly who/what is covered under the extended 109K warranty?

I have an 03 TLS with about 105K........It is my understanding that some 03's are covered and some are not.......is that correct?
Here is my VIN: 19UUA56883A084142

I think that things may be getting sloppy - but then again, it may be my imagination. Either way, I want to take it into the deal to get my complaint logged into the system seeing as I think I am near the end of the warranty period - I just want to confirm what kind of leg I have to stand on should the worst happen.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Race Director

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

According to this you are sadly not covered. What you need to do is go to Acura and talk to the service Manger NOT the writers. Basically do as much ass kissing as possible and hopefully they will do something. If all else fails bring food for them. The phrase "you catch more flys with honey then vingear" applys very well here. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the link, trackruner228 - I was not familiar with that site. Would the fact that I am excluded from this warranty indicate that I have a tranny would isn't as apt to fail?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You can also go to acuras website with your vin and register owners link and it will tell you warranty info as well
Old 03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there was a court case to extend the warranty- they needed a VIN number to stop at, it has no relation to actually fixing the problem
Acura knows this and its normal for them to "Goodwill" a replacement on non covered VIN.
Get it in now and as said above SERVICE MANAGER is who you talk to- not the writer/advisor who has zero authority over anything.
This is assuming that your car is clean title not salvage rebuilt title car.
register here by VIN and check the recall section for info
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

If it makes anyone feel better about trans failure, gen 3s are dropping like flies at 30k and their forum is in total denial about and shocked that this is a problem.

While we gen2 await the day we get a freebie that makes the car 1/2 new!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Looks like it was part of the recall, and it was fixed.........is this good/bad, or indifferent?

Your 2003 Acura is included in the 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL Campaign.
To view the press release regarding this recall, click here

Description 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL
Date 6/29/2004
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Fixed
Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by pnthr30
Looks like it was part of the recall, and it was fixed.........is this good/bad, or indifferent?

Your 2003 Acura is included in the 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL Campaign.
To view the press release regarding this recall, click here

Description 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL
Date 6/29/2004
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Fixed
Think of it this way there are two issues with our trannys. The recall fixes one of them but there is a second issue that the recall does not fix. This is where the extended warrantys come into play. The recall fixes something with 2nd gear but there is another problem with the 3rd gear clutch packs (which is what causes most failures). The only way to fix the 3rd gear issue is with a whole new tranny and you will only get a new tranny (for free) if your old one fails. So long story short just because you had the recall done doesnt mean its fixed.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

Here is the real story
The RECALL was to install the external oil sprayer for 2nd gear- we all got that, into 04s

Thats has NOTHING to do with the court ordered Extended Warranty which covers the more common problem of failure of the 2nd and 3rd gear clutches
The oil jet will not fix your problem- we all got one installed because it was a recall- that means every car gets one

You need to go to the dealer

What are your symptoms anyway?
On acura.com there is a list of all the known ones, also copied to the trans failure thread in gen2 here.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Update

Symptoms were pretty minor........to be honest, I didn't know if I was making them out to be more than they were due to reading this board.... Anyways, sometimes hard downshifts, slight slipping from 2-3 and 3-4....and abrupt shifts at times, especially after coasting (i.e. metered on-ramps).

Anyways, I took my car in this morning (to Acura of Brookfield)......left with an 07 TL loaner car...... AOB called me in about 2 hours and said they took it for a drive and were able to replicate some slipping. He said "you need a new tranny" but before I could even comment, he went on to say that he already ordered one and that Honda would be picking up the entire bill. He said I should have my car back in two days (I said no rush I asked about a warranty on the new tranny (rebuilt) and he said it would be 12 months/12,000 miles....Thoughts? Seems fair to me, seeing as a). I will have a new/rebuilt tranny installed at no charge and b). apparently I wasn't technically covered in the first place and c). any warranty I would have pressed them on is shorter than the 12/12 they have on the table.

To be honest, I am kind of surprised they were able to replicate anything.

In case anyone is from WI, I just want to mention that I have delt with AOB before, and have had NOTHING but positive experiences with them (sales, service, etc.).........quality dealership.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Thats the normal warranty on the replacement- if its going to die it will do it within that time frame usually. Otherwise it will last years.
The dealer gets paid by acura for the work, so when they can help you out they will-
some income is better than none!

The nice thank you for them is: with your invoice should be a survey for acura, anything less than perfect 10s results in Managers being alerted to a problem. Managers get bonus pay for praises,,, and not for angry customers.
Writing to Acura or calling the 800 and leaving a thank you is good too.
A box of donuts when you pick up the car- for the shop- is a great 5 dollar investment.
Any time you have a question in the future- the head tech goes for a ride with you no problem!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

In case anyone is from WI, I just want to mention that I have delt with AOB before, and have had NOTHING but positive experiences with them (sales, service, etc.).........quality dealership.
Glad you found their sales good. They treated me like shit. Their service dept is good though from what i hear. Ill stick with Zimbrick in madison (which i heard owns them)??
Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced

You and I are on the same page.........haha

I fully understand that a little recognition on my end will go a long way for those at the dealer. I have written letters (positive) for these guys/this dealership before.

As we speak, I have already started to write a letter highlighting my favorable treatment. Additionally, I will slide the Service Writer (the only guy I spoke with on this occasion) a gift card for a sandwich/sub chain in the area (I am in charge of real estate for this chain, so for me to get a $50 gift card is no biggie, but he can take the shop to lunch if he wants - lets make everyone happy to see me!).

Additionally, I want to thank the board.............without the info. gathered here, I would likely not be getting a new tranny!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Glad you found their sales good. They treated me like shit. Their service dept is good though from what i hear. Ill stick with Zimbrick in madison (which i heard owns them)??
Hmm......sorry to hear that. I have delt with AOB on two different purchases and both went very smoothly. Additionally, I have had great experiences with their service dept.

On the flip, I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Zimbrick (which I have also heard owns AOB).....it just isn't convenient for me (I live about 10 minutes from AOB).
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
NJ - '03 SSM TL-S

yeah... different story here in NJ.

I own an '03TL with a vin ending in 077025. Under that link up in previous posts, I am not included. Doesn't suprise me now, especially because my tranny went on me this sunday. I had to pay for towing because Acura's roadside expired in January of this year, lol.

Once I got there, I went straight to the service manager like suggested and I talked to him and I even mentioned Acurazine which he didn't know about. anyway, he told me that my VIN did not fall under this extended warranty, thus he can't do anything for me. He called up Acura service and got a goodwill for 50/50 thus making the bill $1266.67. Weird huh? Wasn't it like $4k? 50% should be 2k. Anyway, I was still dissappointed with the service (they didn't even give me any loaner/courtesy car) so now i'm stuck here w/no car.

I called the Acura service representative whom let me talk with a claim person that handles per case basis. He told me that since I have no records that my car was well maintained, that there's not much he can do for me. I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR a few months ago. All i have is an oilchange, what do they expect?! Anyway, he said he'd discuss my case with another person (i guess higher up) and get back to me. He told me that the only reason why they gave me the 50/50 is because of the low miles, 67k on an '03.

They just got back to me today saying the best they can do for me is a 40/60 split. So $1140 + towing $80 - no loaner car is where i'm at. There's no where more to complain is there?

I still feel that I should be fully recompensed. I read these threads thoroughly and thought that I should have been treated to a free transmission.

Open Road Acura of East Brunswick on Rt.18 is not very friendly. I'm dissappointed that they won't acknoledge that my trans has the same defect as every other 2nd gen TL.

Even in that recall, it says you can mail/call the Acura service thing if I'm not satisfied, but I already called them once. After being with Honda for 8 years, I'm sad with Acura's dealing w/me.

What do you guys think? Sorry to hi-jack the thread but are there any leads I can contact? looks like im kinda screwed huh.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

the differance between the prices is what retail customer would pay and what warranty pays the dealer on labor rates and such- so f
rom that point its a good deal
Pay the 1200 and get the car fixed.
Then you can write as many letters as it takes to Acura - with copies of pages from acurazine documenting other members full coverage with out of vin car-and they will eventually send you a check for the amount you paid.

My best guess; You are under 25 according to your avatar, many/most states have a law requiring rental/loaner cars be 25 or older- its an insurnce thing.
Next guess: They saw you as a young kid they could BS, and they did~

Phone calls only go so far because its not face to face.
Letters to Acura with copies of azine postings will generate a lot more concern because they know you are on the internet spreading the word that not all parts of the country treat the owner the same- is it discrination on age?
Not serviced enough??? get out the book where it says when to change the fluid.
You can take it or stand up for your rights.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
NJ - '03 SSM TL-S

good advice. you think i should point my mail towards this address?

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-9746
Telephone: (800) 382-2238

I'm just concerened that that number I called for that claim person is this one listed here, so any mail will basically just go through the same process of opening a claim, reviewing it, and just being like... same kid, same problem. dismiss it. I wonder if there's a higher person in the heirarchy i could talk to.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Mail gets more attention than phone call as any angry person picks up the phone.
Someone with a real concern writes a letter- even better if you clearly hand write it- as anyone can have a secratary write a complaint letter for them or bang one out on the puter

The personal connection of a hand written letter and the time involved make a great staement of you concerns to Acura.

-Note: the phone people are just that- they answer phones and read answers from a book- not car people - not even acura owners!!end of story-
a real supervisor then manager does the actual work on your case
If thats the address on acura.com to mail them then yes
Express the lack of help from customer service people

You have to go up the ladder 1 step at a time- its a process as each level looks and decides.
Letting them SEE actual posting printouts on azine will help your case, as well as the ones saying what dealer is helping and who is not. The delear makes no decision- the Regional Rep who works for acura is supposed to, and if you are not happy with them- you keep appealing--think dumazz court case as example-
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
NJ - '03 SSM TL-S

haha will do. i'll let you guys know the update. ill try and find the address of where the regional rep works then and address the letter to him as my next step.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

As clarification, can someone please explain exactly who/what is covered under the extended 109K warranty?

I have an 03 TLS with about 105K........It is my understanding that some 03's are covered and some are not.......is that correct?
Here is my VIN: 19UUA56883A084142

I think that things may be getting sloppy - but then again, it may be my imagination. Either way, I want to take it into the deal to get my complaint logged into the system seeing as I think I am near the end of the warranty period - I just want to confirm what kind of leg I have to stand on should the worst happen.