Tranny leak=I get a replacement tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny leak=I get a replacement tranny

Back in June I brought my '02 TL-S to the dealer (Niello Acura in Sacramento) to have them check out a minor tranny leak; service tech cleaned the leak, then test-drove my car to see if tranny still leaked. Of course it didn't leak but tech told me to keep an eye on it and to bring the car back in if it leaked again. Well--two months later the tranny is leaking again, so I brought it in today.

Tech sees the leak, test-drove the car, and noticed that it didn't seem to shift smoothly. FWIW--my tranny always shifted properly without the overrevving and/or stuck in gear symptoms that other forum members with failed trannies had encountered, although every once in a while it would upshift a bit harshly but not harsh enough to be a major concern, especially compared to what those of you with tranny problems had previously described.

Anyways, tech drained the tranny and right away noticed that the fluid had a burnt smell. At that point he called to inform me that my tranny will need to be replaced.

So, I'm now waiting on a replacement tranny--ETA not until next week at the earliest. FWIW--the tech acknowledged that mine wasn't the first that he's had to replace; he's seen at least a dozen come through so far. In the meantime, I got a Chrysler Town & Country minivan as a loaner. Go figure--I was expecting them to just seal the leak and now I'm getting a rebuilt one instead. Supposedly, Acura won't let the dealership take the tranny apart so I'm guessing this may be a partial reason why I'm getting another one instead. FWIW--my tranny is being replaced at 27K miles...
Old 09-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, they gave you a true "boat" as a loaner huh? Complete with the "Jello" suspension tuning

I'm sorry to hear the bad news but at least your not posting on how the dealership is saying "oh...thats normal" .......

Good luck with the repairs.....and hopefully you don't have to wait too long. I could of sworn I recently read someone going on the 3rd week of waiting for a tranny....within the ppst few days too....hmm, maybe BDI
Old 09-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the club. I just brought mine in and am on the waiting list to get my tranny replaced. I also have 27k on mine. Good luck bro, we both need it.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:25 PM
Advanced

I have a 2003 TL-S and i got it in March (backordered from february) and I am currently at 7500miles. I haven't noticed anything strange about the car or the way it rides, but I was wondering what exactly is it that the car will do to show you that the tranny is about to give out? What exactly do you mean by "slipping"? I've heard that the trannies of the newer 2003 models were fixed.... but i got my fairly early... Also, if you have a lot of mods to the car, won't the warranty get voided and if the car is going to break down on me eventually, what's the point of spending money modding it?!

Just a few questions
Old 09-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not holding my breath waiting for the replacement tranny to come in any time soon. As far as my tranny is concerned--like I said, every once in a blue moon it would upshift a bit more harshly than normal. Also, when I let up on the gas pedal while travelling at highway speeds I can "feel" a very slight thump reverberate through the cabin (mostly through the floorboard) as the torque converter disengages--essentially, the TC doesn't seem to be disengaging smoothly.

As far as getting a minivan for a loaner--well, at least I didn't get a POS tiny econobox 4-door. I told them I had two small kids and that I didn't want to have to cram two infant car seats in the back of such a small car.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang! Sorry to hear about that, tdoh. You're the first Sac tranny that I've heard needs replacing. Maybe I'll take mine to my new dealership - Acura of Riverside - and get a tranny flush!

Take it easy,

V.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
On my 1998 Accord EXV6, thats how my tranny problems started.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vperkins2
Dang! Sorry to hear about that, tdoh. You're the first Sac tranny that I've heard needs replacing. Maybe I'll take mine to my new dealership - Acura of Riverside - and get a tranny flush!

Take it easy,

V.
Hey Vincent--whatcha doing down there? At least they're not giving me the runaround...at least for the moment.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tdoh

Hey Vincent--whatcha doing down there? At least they're not giving me the runaround...at least for the moment.
I've moved down here for good. Grew up down here so I'm really just coming back home. I decided that I could be jobless just as down here as I could be up there! Besides, my entire family, including my son, lives down here.

Hopefully my job situation clears up and I'm back to buying mods for my car!

Later,

V.