Tranny just blew on the highway....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tranny just blew on the highway....

ypp thats right.

my SECOND tranmission just blew today afternoon driving home after an exam. I was on the highway, and all of a sudden the car just reved up and wouldnt release. Then i let go of the gas and the RPM's dropped to 1k while going 60mph... normally it dooesnt drop- it just stays at the same RPM even if i let go of the gas. WEll anyways, ill be on my third transmission but i duno how long it takes for them to replac it. I dropped it off today and she said they were gona chek it out this afternoon. Anyone know how long i will be without a car? Also, are they obligated to give me a loaner cuz this is the second transmssion gone, but i never bought the car from them and its not under warranty. THe last time i had it replaced it was under warranty and they gave me a loaner

thanx for listenin
hiren
Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
if in stock, a week. if not, two to three weeks
Old 05-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
if your car is still under 100,000 miles they still have to replcae your tranny so dont worry about it. mine was replaced in 5 days with a honda accord sedan loaner.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro

yeah i definately need a loaner cuz i have a lot of things to do...

last time it took 2 days to replace it.. i made an apt shortly after they tested out that i needed a new tranny and they called me in a week and they replaced it in 2 days..

im still waiitng for them to call back... we;ll see wat happens
Old 05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about that SilverIce, I've had tranny problems on my previous Intrepid so I know how you feel (although, with a Dodge, a tranny blowout is almost a guarantee)

I'm still confused about the tranny problems...here's what I've gathered so far (bought a 99 TL with 52K miles on it last week):

1) The tranny problems seem to be limited to the 2000+ model years, and a few 1999 models

2) My car will still be covered under the 100K warranty if the tranny blows since Acura has extended it earlier this year

3) If there haven't been tranny problems yet with 52K miles on it, there probably won't be for a while on this car

What I am noticing though is that when I'm stop at a stop sign and push on the gas, the car sometimes jerks forward. Besides that I haven't noticed anything particularily strange with it.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Racer

PlatinumTL thas the same feeling i get when at a stop sign. oh no are our trannies gonna go down the drain? Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 05-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PlatinumTL
Sorry to hear about that SilverIce, I've had tranny problems on my previous Intrepid so I know how you feel (although, with a Dodge, a tranny blowout is almost a guarantee)

I'm still confused about the tranny problems...here's what I've gathered so far (bought a 99 TL with 52K miles on it last week):

1) The tranny problems seem to be limited to the 2000+ model years, and a few 1999 models

2) My car will still be covered under the 100K warranty if the tranny blows since Acura has extended it earlier this year

3) If there haven't been tranny problems yet with 52K miles on it, there probably won't be for a while on this car

What I am noticing though is that when I'm stop at a stop sign and push on the gas, the car sometimes jerks forward. Besides that I haven't noticed anything particularily strange with it.
You can't assume anything about mileages - my first tranny went at 73K, and the 2nd isn't acting right after less than 1500 miles.....
Old 05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Racer

My car will still be covered under the 100K warranty if the tranny blows since Acura has extended it earlier this year

The extended warranty is 100K/7 years (which ever comes first)...isn't it? So by next year, our 99 TL will be 7 years old.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Racer

Have the dealer check your engine mount too. My old reliable 91 Accord has the same problem and I changed the front and rear mounts. Maybe your just putting to much gas on full stop too.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro

just got off the fone with them... its gona take till thursday to replace.. ill prbably get the car back thursday afternoon or friday...

and i asked for a loaner and he doesnt have any available... didnt have the energy to ask questions and fight for a loaner so i let it go

whatever............. i just want my cAR bACk NOW!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Just be happy it didn't happen BEFORE your exam, or else it would've caused tremendous problems for you. Which highway were you driving on when it happened?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MattT516
Just be happy it didn't happen BEFORE your exam, or else it would've caused tremendous problems for you. Which highway were you driving on when it happened?

grand central parkway/northern state parkway near exit 26
Old 05-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

I had a tranny replacement last winter and they paid for a rental even though I was out of state (it had to happen on a holiday weekend and I had to return for work) and I never purchased my car there... perhaps I had just run into a dealership with good service guys (Joe Rizza Acura in Orland Park, Illinois)?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
the jerk is not a tranny problem. i have it too. i had this before my tranny died (99TL at 73K miles), and after my tranny was replaced. i think you should check your motor mounts. my motor mounts are freakin shot. the car just jumps forward like half a second after i pressed gas.

damn but my tranny is going again. i just got it replaced two weeks ago and now its causing more problems than ever. they replaced my tranny with a worse one. i cant stand the whole deal with acura and giving us refurbished trannies that arent even fully repaired.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

I had 90,000 miles on my '99 when it started giving me problems, so i traded it in for the '05 TL. I wasnt even gonna try to mess around with the Trans. After 100,000 miles, if tranny goes out, you're out 5G's. By the way, Love the 05's. Hopefully the Trans will last!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Intermediate

Arrow

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
grand central parkway/northern state parkway near exit 26
What were you initial reactions when it happened? Did the car dropped from 5th to 2nd? My sister has a 03 TL S and im worried she wouldnt know what to do initially right after a downshift from 5th to 2nd gear? These trannies suck ass....
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
02 TL-s WDP

That Sucks Bro!!!!!

STuff like this makes me wish i had a 04-05 tl

give me a call and let me know what and how it happened
Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gotmilk221
What were you initial reactions when it happened? Did the car dropped from 5th to 2nd? My sister has a 03 TL S and im worried she wouldnt know what to do initially right after a downshift from 5th to 2nd gear? These trannies suck ass....

yeahh it just skipped down and reved really high up... then i flipped it into SS and manually shifted it back up to 5th gear... and then hit the gas again to gain some speed and it just woudlnt stay in teh gear... the car reved upto 5k but the car didnt go any faster... i think it was slowing down instead... by thtat time it was time for me to take my exit so i went home and then eventually took it to the dealer..

hiren
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
ypp thats right.

my SECOND tranmission just blew today afternoon driving home after an exam. I was on the highway, and all of a sudden the car just reved up and wouldnt release. Then i let go of the gas and the RPM's dropped to 1k while going 60mph... normally it dooesnt drop- it just stays at the same RPM even if i let go of the gas. WEll anyways, ill be on my third transmission but i duno how long it takes for them to replac it. I dropped it off today and she said they were gona chek it out this afternoon. Anyone know how long i will be without a car? Also, are they obligated to give me a loaner cuz this is the second transmssion gone, but i never bought the car from them and its not under warranty. THe last time i had it replaced it was under warranty and they gave me a loaner

thanx for listenin
hiren
Daamn... what a coincidence... My car's tranny died sunday around noon time also. I was on freeway and managed to putt-putt my way into Steven's Creek since I was real close to it on 280. The car made it but tranny was slipping up a lot. If they actually buy you a tranny, it will take about a week before you get your car back. I got a TSX as a loner. Just tell them you need to get a loaner for work and you'll be out in like 5 minutes with another car til your baby gets better. You don't have to buy car from Acura dealer to get loaner, I bought mine from Sunnyvale.

Oh yea... btw my 2nd tranny so 2 more from lemon. By then, either a replacement or I will get CL-S 6spd swap.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
Daamn... what a coincidence... My car's tranny died sunday around noon time also. I was on freeway and managed to putt-putt my way into Steven's Creek since I was real close to it on 280. The car made it but tranny was slipping up a lot. If they actually buy you a tranny, it will take about a week before you get your car back. I got a TSX as a loner. Just tell them you need to get a loaner for work and you'll be out in like 5 minutes with another car til your baby gets better. You don't have to buy car from Acura dealer to get loaner, I bought mine from Sunnyvale.

Oh yea... btw my 2nd tranny so 2 more from lemon. By then, either a replacement or I will get CL-S 6spd swap.
i heard about that lemon rule... how does it work though??? do i qualify if i have a 00 TL??

i asked them for the loaner but he says nothing is available for the rest of the week... duno wats goin on
Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

It should work if you are in warranty... a.k.a. <100k miles. You really have to fight them though. Are you older than 21? And is the car under your name? All taht stuff factors into how hard it is to get a loaner.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Pro

car is under my fathers name... and yes i am 21... my father came in wtih me to drop off the car but they said they had no loaners at all to give me... i gota find out about this lemon rule. NOt that im tryin to enforce it cuz i really dont want to give up my car after all this moddding....

as for the car, i just got off the fone,- it will be ready thursday afternooon... so thass quick
Old 05-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Daam man, I'm sorry to hear but I'm glad that your getting your car back quick and also nothing bad happened on the highway, which was my biggest concern. Just hearing this over and over again with people just pisses me off and really am starting to hate Honda/Acura for this garbage. Don't get me wrong I love Honda's and Acuras but this transmission thing is getting out of hand!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tranny problems suck...actually all car problems suck

my tranny is acting wierd (99, 82kmi). it jerks a lot, no slipping yet. I'm thinking of telling the dealer to replace it and lie to my extended warranty people so they pay for the job...i do not wanna wait untill it blows in the highway or when i need to do something important!