tracking gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tracking gps

does the navigation in our cars have the ability to track it if stolen? does any one have any type of tracking device?
Old 11-14-2001, 04:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think they could do it because I don't really believe it is satellite linked to that level. I think we pul down small amounts of info at specified times, but doubt it could track us as most of the caluclations run from the unit itself calculcating mileage/speed, etc....

The best device is Lo-Jack. I have seen it in action twice and could not believe the accuracy and speed in which they recovered the vehicles.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 PM
Drifting

In short, no.

It's much more practical to install an independent tracking device like LoJack instead of trying to feed off of the Navi box.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:37 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Not possible

Not possible, since our navigation system does not uplink. It means it can't send any information to anyone on the location of the Vehicle. We are half way, because the navi system knows where you are, but like I said its not able to tell anyone about it . This might be in future plans for acura and other car companies.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:40 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

It'd be the shi@t if... and I certainly hope that there will be an "add on" in the future that would allow us to be able to track our cars if stolen.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:43 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

Now that I think about it, it be cool if we could track ours cars on the internet, so when your girlfriend drives it, you could track her every movement

Originally posted by Inspire
It'd be the shi@t if... and I certainly hope that there will be an "add on" in the future that would allow us to be able to track our cars if stolen.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:51 PM
Buckle Up

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
I don't think they could do it because I don't really believe it is satellite linked to that level. I think we pul down small amounts of info at specified times, but doubt it could track us as most of the caluclations run from the unit itself calculcating mileage/speed, etc....

The best device is Lo-Jack. I have seen it in action twice and could not believe the accuracy and speed in which they recovered the vehicles.
The only down side about Lo-Jack is, it can be easily disabled. Ive read around that if you take the stolen car to a gas station, the metal overhang stops the transmit of the system. This gives the car jacker time to locate and remove the Lo-Jack system. My opinion if you get Lo-Jack is to hide it in a place that a person would not find it...ie inside the trunks carpet. Not sure if that will work though.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by monkeymato

The only down side about Lo-Jack is, it can be easily disabled. Ive read around that if you take the stolen car to a gas station, the metal overhang stops the transmit of the system. This gives the car jacker time to locate and remove the Lo-Jack system. My opinion if you get Lo-Jack is to hide it in a place that a person would not find it...ie inside the trunks carpet. Not sure if that will work though.
This has been discussed before. Lo-Jack installers do hide the transponder in very obscure places (inside frame rails, etc) and a metal overhang from a gas station will not significantly interfere with a Lo-Jack signal (if at all). Even an underground parking garage will not completely render Lo-Jack useless. Only its effective range will be diminished.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

This has been discussed before. Lo-Jack installers do hide the transponder in very obscure places (inside frame rails, etc) and a metal overhang from a gas station will not significantly interfere with a Lo-Jack signal (if at all). Even an underground parking garage will not completely render Lo-Jack useless. Only its effective range will be diminished.
Perhaps, but in Alameda, CA there are two roadway tubes that go underwater for roughly half a mile; wonder how well a Lo-Jack signal can be picked up if a car is in such a tube?

Granted of course a tube wouldn't be the most ideal of places to try to locate the transponder...however, my point was to query as to whether Lo-Jack can send out a signal in a place like that.

Tony
Old 11-14-2001, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

How would a thief know to look for Lo Jack unless you have a sticker that says "protected by Lo Jack"

It doesn't emit a signal until you report it stolen and the police activate it right?
Old 11-15-2001, 12:25 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by NighthawkBlack
How would a thief know to look for Lo Jack unless you have a sticker that says "protected by Lo Jack"

It doesn't emit a signal until you report it stolen and the police activate it right?
They would steal it and put it in a parking lot or a place where there are cars parked for long periods of time. It the car is still there after 1 or 2 days, they know you don't have LoJack and take the car wherever.

It doesn't emit until activated, correct.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Acura3200

They would steal it and put it in a parking lot or a place where there are cars parked for long periods of time. It the car is still there after 1 or 2 days, they know you don't have LoJack and take the car wherever.

It doesn't emit until activated, correct.
But you would think that cops would know this too. Can't the cops case the car and wait for the car thief to show up? Then pop out, presto! Car thief behind bars.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by patrick

But you would think that cops would know this too. Can't the cops case the car and wait for the car thief to show up? Then pop out, presto! Car thief behind bars.
Unfortunately cops have more important things to do than sit and wait for petty car thieves.

I personally would not put any sticker on my car stating that I have LoJack. Why give the theives the edge. Most car thieves are petty crooks just looking for a joyride or too stupid to take the time to let the car "cool off".
Old 11-15-2001, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

Unfortunately cops have more important things to do than sit and wait for petty car thieves.
Unfortunately it is all too true...