Tornado product?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado product?

I was watching TV last night and i saw this infomercial. It was a circular object that you stick into your intake that increases HP and MPG by increasing airflow(it makes a little vortex of air when it gets sucked in, like when you flush your toilet, resulting in increased airflow). When i saw this i was wondering if it really works and if its better than a CAI. In fact, i plan on tellng my bro to buy this for his accord instead of a CAI. It's about 100 bucks with shipping and handling,which is cheaper than a CAI(i think).
So what do u guys think? Is it a good product? Will i just get ripped off?
Old 08-13-2002, 04:04 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

All of us have been captivated at 2 AM by this tornado product. To sum it up, It's just a 5 dollar(if that) peice of metal cut, bent, and shaped to make the airflow spirial. It will only give you a good improvement with a carburated engine like a 350 block chevy as an example. Since our TL engine is EFI there will be a minimal gain, if any.

tell your friend to buy a CAI Or spend $10 on metal and make one yourself...
Old 08-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Re: Tornado product?

Originally posted by AzureKnight
I was watching TV last night and i saw this infomercial. It was a circular object that you stick into your intake that increases HP and MPG by increasing airflow(it makes a little vortex of air when it gets sucked in, like when you flush your toilet, resulting in increased airflow). When i saw this i was wondering if it really works and if its better than a CAI. In fact, i plan on tellng my bro to buy this for his accord instead of a CAI. It's about 100 bucks with shipping and handling,which is cheaper than a CAI(i think).
So what do u guys think? Is it a good product? Will i just get ripped off?

Dude, that $hit don't work. I got one for Christmas last year for my 4 Runner and the damn thing don't even fit right. The stuff they used are so cheap, it's like junk. Don't believe everything you see.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Instructor

yes, i agree, a friend of mine who drives a civic Si, bought one of those tornado's and one of those electric superchargers that are like $400. he claims he can feel a difference, and the electric supercharger claims that it supplies a constant 1psi in the intake manifold, my question is though, when he hits vtec, i'd think that the supercharger wouldn't be able to keep up and would actually be more restictive than helpfull, but i dont know. it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.. haha
Old 08-14-2002, 01:47 AM
Racer

ay... my dad owns the tornado company, it works.

i got my TL and i just broke it in, 2003 TL-P

JUST got it... so i couldnt dyno it earlier...

im going to dyno it and post the results on the board as much of you have requested earlier this year.

so just ... dont make assumptions... years and years of testing went into that product that you dont know about.

//edit//

and then through the dyno, you can see for yourself then u can talk trash or whatever.

but dont make any assumptions, please...

thanx
Old 08-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Racer

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
All of us have been captivated at 2 AM by this tornado product. To sum it up, It's just a 5 dollar(if that) peice of metal cut, bent, and shaped to make the airflow spirial. It will only give you a good improvement with a carburated engine like a 350 block chevy as an example. Since our TL engine is EFI there will be a minimal gain, if any.

tell your friend to buy a CAI Or spend $10 on metal and make one yourself...
true, might be five dollars of metal,

but you ever open yer eyes wider and try think about how much testing went into that product?

more than just testing, research all over the US, etc... over 10 years of prep and testing before it was out in the market.

please.... this is a business you are slandering.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:58 AM
Racer

Re: Tornado product?

Originally posted by AzureKnight
... its better than a CAI. In fact, i plan on tellng my bro to buy this for his accord instead of a CAI...

save yer money and wait till about november, new product called

TXP by same company is coming out, its tornado and its like AEM CAI, it probably outperforms the AEM CAI so wait if you can, its coming out soon..

( inside family talk that wasnt supposed to go public )
Old 08-14-2002, 05:32 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

turbox777,
I will continue to rag on the $5 peice of metal that is called the tornado until I see some dyno results!! hmmmmm.... Is the cost to make it even $5? Why dont you tell us the exact cost huh? I don't care how much testing went into it, IF it even works it still shouldn't cost as much as it does. I wonder if the patent is up on that one?.... I could start manufacturing them myself for a $1.50 and sell them on ebay as the real thing!!! though really guys I wouldn't do that thats lame...

Good luck on your dyno results!! I know tornado is good stuff for carburated engines but I speculate you may loose power if you put the tornado on your TL
Old 08-14-2002, 05:36 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Originally posted by IXLR8TL3.2
it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.. haha

HAHAHAHA!!!! I wanna hear it soooooooooo bad, a vacuum cleaner!!! FUNNY STUFF!!!!:p
Old 08-14-2002, 10:05 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont mess with any of that as seen on tv car crap. My friend has the tornado in his legend coupe and swore up and down that it made his car that much faster that he could hear the air and feel more pull. He was talking so much on how my intake screams but his car is faster now. So after kicking the living sh*t out of his car on local and highway roads, he took that crap out and gave up.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by turbox777
ay... my dad owns the tornado company, it works.

i got my TL and i just broke it in, 2003 TL-P

JUST got it... so i couldnt dyno it earlier...

im going to dyno it and post the results on the board as much of you have requested earlier this year.

so just ... dont make assumptions... years and years of testing went into that product that you dont know about.

//edit//

and then through the dyno, you can see for yourself then u can talk trash or whatever.

but dont make any assumptions, please...

thanx

I'm not making assumptions, but at least the damn thing should fit.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
turbox777,
I will continue to rag on the $5 peice of metal that is called the tornado until I see some dyno results!! hmmmmm.... Is the cost to make it even $5? Why dont you tell us the exact cost huh? I don't care how much testing went into it, IF it even works it still shouldn't cost as much as it does. I wonder if the patent is up on that one?.... I could start manufacturing them myself for a $1.50 and sell them on ebay as the real thing!!! though really guys I wouldn't do that thats lame...

I dont know what the real cost is to make it, but a lot of time and money went into creating it. Its not just some bogus business we're talking about here. Why don't you open yer eyes up a little bigger.

Some narrow minded person we have here have we?

And yea, why don't you try sell it on ebay, or better yet, try start yer own business. laff

Originally posted by silver03TL

I'm not making assumptions, but at least the damn thing should fit.
1) it should fit when you gave them your car model and year.
2) you should have measured the size of your intake.
3) go call and get an exchange because it doesn't fit.

Notice: Its not a 'one size fits all'. Call and ask for an exchange.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

turbox777 has been posting on the board for a while that his dad owns the company and the product works, etc... but we have yet to see any kind of proof. Someone in the TL forum even offered to pay for a stock dyno, then install the Tornado and do another dyno if they would send him a free Tornado.... and the offer was never met.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but if I had a product and I had to give ONE away for free to prove to potentially thousands of people (between here and acl.com) that it worked... it would be packed and shipped Priority Overnight!!

I still don't buy it until I see results of an independant dyno.... heck.. if it did work... I'd scoop one up!!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
I still don't buy it until I see results of an independant dyno.... heck.. if it did work... I'd scoop one up!!
Ditto!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Racer

Yes indeed...

First things first, I JUST broke in my TL. I am discussing with my dad as of now, to get a tornado installed and dynoing it.

I have yet to give "proof".

Just wait some bit and I will get the dyno results scanned to this board.

AND, I'll even ask him to give a free tornado away to test it.

(The reason things aren't happening like lightening is because I don't live with him anymore )

edit.
.................................................. ..................................................
This thread is pointless until I get a DYNO.

someone close this thread like last time, and everyone just wait till i get a DYNO. I'm not going to disappear I am looking forward to the results as well...
Old 08-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Talking

Yes indeed...

First things first, I JUST broke in my TL.
Well... the least you can do is post pics of your new TL...
Old 08-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

1) it should fit when you gave them your car model and year.
2) you should have measured the size of your intake.
3) go call and get an exchange because it doesn't fit.

Notice: Its not a 'one size fits all'. Call and ask for an exchange.
It was specified with vehicle year, make, model and engine size. It didn't fit period. I told my friend to return it. You might want to have them double check their database.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Racer

I think you should call then, tell them it was specified model and year.

That should be unlikely... give them a call and explain. I'm sure they will be glad to help you out.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If your dad owns the company, it shoulg be fairly easy for you to get access to a dyno; especially after all this time. The last time you posted was months ago.

No matter, Super Street tested it, so did Car & Driver. Zero gains in power and mpg were found by both of them. Thats fact, NOT Opinion.

P.S> The Tornado has been discussed many many times before; the SEARCH button truely is a wonderful thing.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Racer

I am not sure what kind of research was done on this thing, but to sum it up: ANYTHING you put into your intake is going to RESTRICT AIR FLOW! As simple as that. Also, on cars like ours, intake is designed to direct airflow, and anything that changes the way air flows into cylinders can only make performance worse. If it was this good, don't you think other people would get that patent and install it on cars stock???

There have been a number of such "magic" devices over years, but AT BEST they do not hinder performance in the carburated engines, as AK_MOBBER pointed out. No improvment was detected EVER, only decreased performance, or power, or fuel mileage. And I am talking about not only US, but Europe as well.

So Turbox777, I would like to see dyno results, not from you - you dad owns the company - but from independent place or one of our forum members.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

hey turbo so you korean?

me too.

send me one to test and i'll get it dynoed. i'll put it before my injen cai and also take it out and do a dyno
Old 08-14-2002, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

I think you should call then, tell them it was specified model and year.

That should be unlikely... give them a call and explain. I'm sure they will be glad to help you out.

Please read my reply on a ealier tread. I said my friend return the thing already and that was last year. Besides, I've already sold the 4 Runner, so what's the point of calling? Maybe you should tell your dad or whoever that whatever they have listed for the '96-'02 4 Runners don't fit.

Oh yeah, show me some dyno graphs and I may consider one for the TL.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Racer

yea yea yea

just wait till i get a dyno

the reason as I have stated even long time ago and again today,
why I couldn't get it done quick (pointing to hyde)

I dont live with him anymore. More importantly,

Our lives do not revolve around getting a dyno result to this website, esp. to prove that it works. frankly, enough people buy this everyday and most are repeat buyers. enough buyers to get a 03' TL for my first car as a 17 yr old.

What it comes down to is this:

the company could care less about you folks. But im being nice enough to get a dyno up soon. Probably also giving out a free tornado so you one of you can play with it.

Quit haggling me and let me do my part and you just chill out.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
hey turbo so you korean?

me too.

send me one to test and i'll get it dynoed. i'll put it before my injen cai and also take it out and do a dyno
Yeah I'm korean.

Korean business.

People just... gah.. i guess I would feel the same way, doubtful and dubious at the same time.

Talk is talk. dyno = results. so let me do my part... i'll do it soon.... sigh... :o
Old 08-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Strannik
...ANYTHING you put into your intake is going to RESTRICT AIR FLOW! As simple as that...

There have been a number of such "magic" devices over years, but AT BEST they do not hinder performance...

I would like to see dyno results, not from you - you dad owns the company - but from independent place or one of our forum members.
First off, You are a freaking idiot. Dont you think the company would have tested that?

How long do you think, a bogus company can last for? HUH? why dont you try it.

Yes, I said I'll get a tornado out to a A-TL member so the dyno result is not "bogus".
Old 08-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

First off, You are a freaking idiot. Dont you think the company would have tested that?

Yes, I said I'll get a tornado out to a A-TL member so the dyno result is not "bogus".

Is there a trial period? I know you can get your money back within 30 days, but on the flip side, you'll loose that $15 shipping they charge you and another $10 for shipping it back. I guess I would do it, even a dyno if you let me get one for free. I can be your independent study.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Instructor

AK_MOBBER it's actually a mix between a vacuum cleaner and a hair dryer, all he does is go WOT with the engine off, it engages the supercharger and woosh, haha
Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
cough cough bull$hit cough cough...sorry, something stuck in my throat...
Ed
Old 08-15-2002, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses guys, this helped me out a lot. I think im going to change my mind about suggesting this product to my bro. No offense or anything turbox777, I just learned that you cant trust these infomercials, sorry.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

oh and sorry My. Hyde. I never noticed the searched button
Old 08-15-2002, 03:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the company could care less about you folks. But im being nice enough to get a dyno up soon. Probably also giving out a free tornado so you one of you can play with it.
What a great selling slogan. You (and the product) are becoming more and more reputable by the minute...keep up the great work.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:44 AM
Racer

First off, thanks for the insult. I like this company more and more every minute.

I am sure they "tested" it to provide data for their 2 AM infomercial, so they can sell those $5 pieces of metal for $100 each. And with such profit margin, the company lasts for a long time - how many of those people who bought it going to dyno their cars? And after spending $100+, it would surely "feel faster"... And if somone checks into it, and finds no improvement - sure, let him return it, $15 shipping charge is non refundable, and company still makes a couple of bucks profit on every item returned.

As Mr Hyde said: "... Super Street tested it, so did Car & Driver. Zero gains in power and mpg were found by both of them. Thats fact, NOT Opinion. "

End of story for me.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Lawaia

What a great selling slogan. You (and the product) are becoming more and more reputable by the minute...keep up the great work.
Yeah, no kiddin'! So what do they really care about?

$$$$$$$$$ :wow:
Old 08-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts

That's pretty funny. I'll start the list of bogus TV infomercial automotive products that dont work as advertised, and are still around. As PT Barnum said.......

Here we go

The Tornado
Duralube
Prolong
Splitfire plugs
The Ding King
Slick 50
Durashine
GS 27
Autofom
Motor Up

The list goes on and on.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Quit haggling me and let me do my part and you just chill out.
I always love a company that RESPECTS their customers. Got anymore great business models??
Old 08-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well all I can go by is what was talk about on TV. Pat Goss from the PBS Motor Week TV Show said he dyno tested it. Pat also has a local 30min call in Radio & TV show in our area on Saturday.
Since Motor Week comes from this area & Pat has his own auto shop he does work on cars. I try to catch the show on Saturday & people call in & ask all kinds of questions problems about cars & products. The Tornado question has come up a few times that I heard on the show. People ask about it he said he has tested it in his shop & got NO GAINS. He has said this to people that have called in on different Saturdays what he has found.The people then can make up there own minds. He just gave his own test results of the product in his shop.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Racer

HAHAHA
Old 08-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Cool

Didn't Slick50 ro Duralube get sued for false advertisment or misleading consumers and has been given refunds to people that bought the stuff? If I remember correctly, it was the government that did a study on it and found out it was totally useless.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
That product is for sale at w w w.m y a u t o.t v/t o r n a d o for $69.97 plus another $11 for shipping . The site states that a dyno showed up to a 13 Hp increase. That's a big jump for only $80. My borla mufflers are rated up to 14 Hp increase and I paid $440 with custom installation. I'm not saying that the product ain't any good or doesn't work, but for that much HP increase, no to mention fuel conservation, it seems you'd pay much more. Sometimes you just have to use your better judgement and say "you get what you pay for." Also a little latin for you…."caveat emptor!" "Buyer beware!" But I'd definitely wait to see an independent dyno.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:14 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

yea yea yea

just wait till i get a dyno

the reason as I have stated even long time ago and again today,
why I couldn't get it done quick (pointing to hyde)

I dont live with him anymore. More importantly,

Our lives do not revolve around getting a dyno result to this website, esp. to prove that it works. frankly, enough people buy this everyday and most are repeat buyers. enough buyers to get a 03' TL for my first car as a 17 yr old.

I see how it is, your just a spoiled 17 year old trying to back up 'daddys' company. figures. Why don't you buy one from 'daddy' since buying one should be faster than getting your dad to send 1 of probably 10,000 sitting in a warehouse??

PLEASE NOBODY REPLY TO THIS UNTIL TURBOX POSTS A DYNO TEST....

Quick Reply: Tornado product?