Too Bad! My TL-S is in BodyShop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Too Bad! My TL-S is in BodyShop.

It has been only 3 months since I enjoyed my TL-S.
But, on 9/11/2001, I had a big car accident. A Ford Ranger hit my passenger side door. Oh! Lord. He told me that he did not see me. Anyway, he got a ticket, but I did not. I was spinned 3-4 times according to witnesses. I was knocked out for few mins.
When I was wake up, I was so so mad because my TL-S. Whole right side has been severely damaged from a right front fender to rigth rear fender, and Roof also. I was really angry. I am curious it can be fixed as new. Is anybody has an experience like I have now? Please give me advice. Should I keep it or trade to something else after fix? Of course I will get TL-S, but different color and Navi ( I do not have Navi now).
Old 09-20-2001, 02:36 PM
Pro

Unhappy

Getting it totalled might be a stretch but see if you can. And if you can't then ask for "diminished value". What that is basically, is an amount that some car expert determines your car will be devalued when you go to sell or trade it. On my Q45, the amount was $3k.....my repairs were $10k (gee, it should have been totalled). Anyhow, most consumers don't know about this provision (as I did not...an atty. told us) but tell the adjuster you definitely want that. that way if you decide to trade it and it looks like you would incur a couple of grand loss..........the insurance will reimburse you for that. If the insurance company does not want to talk about "DM", then you should seek an atty.

Hey, on 9/11/01, if that's all that happened to you you are blessed. I realize no one wants to be in a car accident or have their babies wrecked....but there were so, so many that had it worse than any of us that day when the WTC was destroyed.
Glad you are safe and hope it all works in your favor. If you can get into another TL-S, another color you prefer and a NAVI....you will be the better for it.

BTW, what color is your present TL-S?
Old 09-20-2001, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks For your advice.
I just had a call from adjuster. She told me how she sorry for the accident. She knew TL-S is a great car, and Brand new 2002.
She told me just outside estimate is appx. $18,000.00, and she need to see the inside of the car for the damage after it is opened; then she can give me a total estimate. I am sure it will be more than $25,000. Can it be totalled?
Anyways, it is white color without Navi.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:01 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Damn.......sounds like a really bad accident. I hope it gets totalled and you get a new car w/navi. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro

I remember my attorney stating that if the damage is 80% of the value of the car, it will be totalled. At $25k, you should be able to start shopping for your TL-S with NAV. Don't expect anything less!!!!!! Threaten them with an atty. if you have to but if the insurance company tries to fix it, don't let them bully you. Actually, them wanting to fix it would be rather foolish. At $25k, they are only a few thousand away from replacement....and inevitably there are always supplemental checks after the body shop starts their work.

Try to make a friend out of the adjuster and ask nicely for them to total the car.....tell them you won't feel safe, you won't feel the quality or integrity of the car will be the same.....mention the car won't be in a preloss condition.....anything but be nice......until you have to get firm. Hopefully the adjuster will see the wisdom in totalling your car and you can remain civil. If that doesn't work, then get firm and start threatening litigation.

Best wishes!
Old 09-21-2001, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow sounded like a bad accident. Well at least you are ok...
Old 09-21-2001, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

I am really appreciate all advice from you guys.
I will remember and take those advice. I just hire an atty. I am injured back and neck. I forgot to inform to people who drive Acura TL or TL-S. You own the best car with great brake and handling. I survived from the accident because of TL-S.
During the accident, I spinned 3-4 times, but I was able to gain the control my car in a second. Incredibly, I stopped in very short distance from the impact. So, I could avoid another collisions. I was there today to check a skid mark and take photos. I realize that I have the great car. Thanks Again to everybody.
I will post the progress the claim.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:10 PM
bh
Advanced

i wanna see the photos. can you post em up?
Old 09-25-2001, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're okay (physically) because that sounds like a major accident.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Would you give me your opinions????

I am sorry for the late respond because I expected a good news, but I do not have any yet. And I need to have you guys opinions for this accident. I am posting the police report and photo for my TLS accident. Please review them, and give me some opinions. This is what is going on so far. Since 9/17/2001, #1 driver's Ins. has been investigating the acc. and does not give us(me and my attorney) any answer yet. My cheap ins., Kemper, just responds me on 10/09/2001. They will take a look for my car to get an estimate. And they will let me know the estimate next week. So so slow. I have been driving a Ford Taurus SES since that day from Hertz My life is miserable. I want my TLS back. I am still waiting for the answer from other's Ins. (USAA)

Thanks

PS. I am sorry i couldn't post the report here, but check next post.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Here is the police rep.

the file size is only 0.56 mb, but I am getting error mes. too big to post it. what is wrong???
Old 10-11-2001, 02:51 PM
Racer

Me too

My 2002 TLS is in the body shop as we speak. Exacltly 3 weeks after i got it I was sitting in traffic and boom. A girl rear ended me, she was looking at a little fender bender on the other side of the road and didnt realize that the traffic was stopped! About 2k damage to my car

-AJ
Old 10-11-2001, 03:53 PM
Racer

Re: Too Bad! My TL-S is in BodyShop.

Originally posted by kdw88
It has been only 3 months since I enjoyed my TL-S.
But, on 9/11/2001, I had a big car accident.
That was just a bad day, all the way around...
Old 10-11-2001, 04:10 PM
Pro

Glad you are OK. Let us know how the insurance situation works out.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:50 AM
Instructor

BB16 was right that was a bad day for everybody.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Angry

oh man..so sorry to hear that. if body can give u promise that they can bring back your tls the shape before accident.then they really can.but i am sure it will not as strong or cool as before.u will have those bad feelings in your mind..since the accident is not your fault. u can request your or his (the guy hit u)'s insurance company to buy u a new tls..i bet this way is better and by the way.what is the price of estimate repairing? if that is over half of you bought your tls.the liscense will later mail u a new title with "savage" on your title.then u will know what that is ..good luck
Old 10-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

According to USAA (other guy's ins.) estimate, it is $27,500 for to repair. Just outside for $18,900.00. Hoo- Ah

Don.

PS. It seems like a long battle to get money from USAA. I need to sue them.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Pro

Dayam, sorry to hear about your accident! At 27,5, the car is well within the ranges of being totalled! Don't let them tell you any different! I've had a claim against USAA when our neighbor backed into a previous car. USAA was really quick to respond and pay....they shouldn't treat you any different. I don't even know why they are wasting your and their time even contemplating fixing your TL-S....it seems like a no-brainer. The car is valued at what $31 maybe $33 w/nav? $27,500 plus all the supplementals (there is always supplementals) will put you at more than 80% of the total value of the car. Even a monkey could see that this is a no brainer!

Try not to sue...it will be too drawn out and painful for YOU....try to bring the adjuster to his senses...use the term "preloss condition" and explain to him how you don't want to have to call an attorney but can't accept anything but a new car...safety and quality issues...ya know.

Best wishes with that.

BTW, what kind of rental are you in?
Old 10-12-2001, 05:30 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Value

2/3 the value of the car, if it's higher then that. TIME TO GET A NEW CAR!!!
Old 10-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Just a ticket?

Car looks SOOOooo bad and that you were knocked out - he should be charged with reckless endangerment!
Old 10-12-2001, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

This is the police report.
Let me know what are you think about it.

Don

PS. Of course I am "Driver # 2"

According to my attorney, USAA has been investigating for this for 3 weeks because Driver#1 has claimed that he did not make any faulty action. I am the who made all faulty action. I do not know what he is talking about.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:45 AM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KDw88

You got the police report saying right at the end: D#1 was at fault. You will get your claim trust me. I know cause some b#thc did the same thing to me in my Grand AM a few years back, the insurance company saw that and that was ended really quick. YOU WILL GET YOUR CAR PAID FOR.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

OK, today, finally, I got an answer from D#1 Ins. USAA. They will accept any damage & loss of libility for the acc. They asked me the contract or sale receipt for TL-S. So, this is 2nd question.
Is anybody has an idea how much will be on White 2002 TL-S with rear spoiler, Sun visor for roof, 28% tinted glass, but w/o Navi. Excellent Condition in and out. No Scratch or stain. It's only 5200 Miles on it. 4 months old.
How much will be? How much should I take?

I paid $33,695 as D/O with all options in late April.

thanks
Old 10-15-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro

If that is what you paid for EVERYTHING you listed, then that's what you should get. However, if you paid $33K+ PLUS the tinting, visor, etc. then get your dealership to provide a copy of an invoice with all that stuff. Remember, each state has different pricing..USAA's main office is in San Antonio, TX, where TL-S' are cheaper. Don't let the try to cheat you out of the fair market price in YOUR AREA! You want to go buy another TL-S (or another car) w/o putting anymore $ out of your pocket.

All D#1 do is delay the inevitable (I guess it's worth a shot to the guilty ones). I had some blonde bimbo do the same thing when she hit me the same way....except turned on a red into the front of my Q45...claimed fault at the scene and then told her insurance another story. Caused us alot of havoc!

Best wishes and get exactly what the cost of getting you into another TL-S will cost. Where do you live anyway? Hmm, maybe you can get what USAA will pay you and get a TL-S w/ NAVI from another state??????? TL-S w/navi goes for that price in CA.

If I could do it over, I would have gotten the NAV
Old 10-15-2001, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, atleast they're going to pay for everything. If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do:

1. Go to 3 local dealers.
2. Have them write up a quote for a White 2002 TL-S with the rear spoiler, Sun visor for roof, 28% tinted glass, but w/o Navi. (The dealership probably has a shop they deal with on the glass tinting and they'll set everything up and wrap it into the deal for you).
3. Have the dealer put the tags, tax, everything (your out the door cost) down on the quote.
4. Take the highest one to the insurance company.

Ask for that and nothing more. The insurance has the responsibility to replace. And they have to satisfy you to sign on that dotted line, otherwise you can sue them should you desire. Plus you should push for personal damages (rental car cost). It's a mess to say the very least.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

It has been more than 7 weeks since I had the accident.
Today, I have a answer from USAA states they will pay me $31,329.95 for the loss of my White TL-S w/o Navi, and 4 Mos old, 6000 Miles, but with Rear Spoiler, Tinting Glass, wheel lock, mud guards, trunk net, tray,....
They told me that this is a great offer, and not going to nego. anything. Is that $31,329.95 is a fair price for my TL-S?

I have give them answer today.
Please give me advice.

thank you
Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
From the picture on the police report, you had the right of way therefore it is the other driver's fault.

Now, as far as the offer goes, that's a tough call. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You should call a few local dealers and tell them what happened and that you will be receiving a check for $31,329.95. Ask them if you can hand over that amount and walk out of the dealership with exactly what you had. If not, time to talk to your lawyer.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro

Yep, call a couple of dealers and if they can't get you into the EXACT same car (or better) , than go back to USAA. They say that's the final offer...but that's just not so. If you sit back and accept it, that's final...if you fight it with supporting information...they'll come back w/ another price. When our Infiniti was totalled....the "final" figure was raised after we brought up very legitimate stuff (like our BBS wheels worth $2k that were on the car).

Tell them you don't want to but if you are forced, you will get an attorney involved. Especialy with the accident being their insured's fault, tell them you expect nothing less than to be able to walk into a dealership and replace your car to the tee...w/o ANY money out of your pocket. Besides, aside from the property damage, there is PIP (personal injury) and money that should be offered for your inconvenience and "pain & suffering". Don't let USAA do you wrong. I worked for them and they are a great company...but like every other insurance group...they'll try to screw folks that aren't their clients. If this is not a fair and reasonable offer.....fight them tooth and nail!
Old 10-31-2001, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

dunno if this is a late reply, but i have to agree with other guys. you are the one being hit, and they are responsible for everything. they would need to pay a price so that you can walk out of the dealer with exactly the same car you have driven before, wdp w/o nav, spolier, and everything you had.

remember, it's their responsbility to pay you everything. you shouldn't have to care about those "6000 miles and 4 months" stuff. tell them if they could bring you another 6000 miles, 4 months old tls with EXACTLY the same driving condition you had before, you would accept that. see what they say.

the bottom line is, nothing if final until you agree and sign. and imho you shouldn't have to pay anything anymore for a new tls that you have had before. tell them nicely what you wanna request, and tell them you have "helped" them by asking different dealers. tell them if they can't match it you would be forced to call on a lawyer coz' you don't have time for negotiation.

you are not abusing your rights, you are just asking for what you should have. i am just talking about the car itself, your personal inguries, pain and suffering, rental, those stuff you should also ask for compensation for the very least.