TLS owner of five months saying so long!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TLS owner of five months saying so long!

I bought my 2002 TLS last November . Right now the car has 20,200 miles on it and I'm getting rid of it because of the Tranny problem. No, I haven't experienced a transmision failure in the TLS but I feel it's a "timebomb" waiting to fail. I do however experience barely perceptable "glitches" in the transmission at the shift points,almost as if the trasmission is searching a little too long. Anyway, I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with a defective vehicle, as that's what I feel this car is. I'm being proactive and trading it in. It's perplexing why Acura/Honda doesn't care about this segment of its' consumer base. An across the board recall is warranted and shame on Honda for not doing the right thing. So long and good luck!

Honda/Acura :rocketwho

FlDave
Old 04-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Drifting

What are you going to get next?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

LOLOLOLOOLOLOLL.... hahahahaha, that is too funny.

Sorry man, don't mean to laugh at ya... but that's pretty weak. Because of a failure on approximately 4% (and I'm being liberal with that %) of the 5-speed auto trannies you're going to get rid of it. LOL. Recall.... OK... so they're going recall over 2 million vehicles because 80,000 of them MAY POSSIBLY have a problem? Where's the logic there?

Man, some of the stuff you people post is just crazy. I personally know about 14-15 people with a TL or a CL not including myself.... and none of them have had problems... not a one. The slight delay when shifting... it's normal... all Honda/Acura's have that... that's how their autos function. If you want instant shift you'll need a manual tranny.

I'd be willing to bet $1,000 that had you not found this bulletin board you would have never of known there was a problem and you would have enjoyed your car for 100k+ miles. You see 10-20 people post tranny problems with their rides, but what you don't see are the other 8,000 TL/TL-S owners posting about the problems they're NOT having.

No question that in the end it is your call, but seriously.... think about it... it really doesn't make much sense to lose all that money on the slight chance you'll have an issue.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someoone else's gain I guess. I had a tranny fail on me but the new one has been pretty solid so far. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

TypeSLady, I'm buying a new G35.

Juniorbeen, I could care less about what you think concerning my situation. The failure rate of the 2002 TLS tranny is high enough for Acura to give an extended warranty to those in affected production window, which includes my car . Do all your "friends" have 2002 TLSs? Anyway, besides this site I'm also basing my decision on conversations with an Acura mechanic who lives nearby and an friend whose TLS tranny was replaced twice in a 2003TLS. I feel like every time the tranny doesn't shift properly I'm going to be the next victim. So save your sarcastic responce for someone that gives a shit what you think!

Flave
Old 04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fldave

Juniorbeen, I could care less about what you think concerning my situation. The failure rate of the 2002 TLS tranny is high enough for Acura to give an extended warranty to those in affected production window, which includes my car . Do all your "friends" have 2002 TLSs? Anyway, besides this site I'm also basing my decision on conversations with an Acura mechanic who lives nearby and an friend whose TLS tranny was replaced twice in a 2003TLS. I feel like every time the tranny doesn't shift properly I'm going to be the next victim. So save your sarcastic responce for someone that gives a shit what you think!

Flave
Wow, for someone who doesn't give a shit or seem to care you put a lot of effort into that reply to me. LOL.

Oh and BTW, the affected trannies range from 1999-2003 models covering the Accord, Prelude, Odyssey, CL and TL... so it's not just the 2002 TL-S... it's any car using Honda's 5 speed auto tranny, so they all have to be considered since they all use the same trany. Didn't your mechanic friend reveal this information to you?

To each their own but it seems like such a waste of money on the small percentage that you may have a problem, especially when you consider all cars have their own problems one way or another. You'd never own another car again if you knew what manufacturers were having problems... you answered your own concern by stating the warranty... that's what they're for as no car is perfect (Audi, electrical / Mercedes, fit and finish as well as electrical, etc). The only cars you don't hear much about are Infiniti or Lexus as they seem pretty solid, but they cost a pretty penny as well.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
shopguy

hey whats your vin#. Make sure we avoid that car for sale on the internet. LOL
Old 04-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I still would have kept the TL-S, but hey, you decision. I can respect that. Good luck to ya.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Type II Coupe

Flave[/QUOTE]

Being a lil harsh there aren't you? If you didn't want responses from people then why'd you post here? Well I agree with what everyone has said and yeah... it's whatever floats you boat! Have fun with ur new whip! :lol2:
Old 04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Wocoomrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't own an acura but I've own Honda's in the past, but I can't help but post this. I just sold my 2003 Nissan Maxima last week. I bought my car on July 15 2002 and put on about 32k miles. From the date of purchase until April 6th (that's when I sold my car), I have been to the dealer a total of 65 times to get my car fixed under warranty. After my car hit the 15k mile mark (lemon law doesn't apply to me because I drive over 12k mile a year), I've been having numerous problems.
-Transmission blew (auto)
-3 O2 sensors had to be replaced
-MAF sensor went bad twice
-Rear windows leaked water and had excessive wind noise
-Sunroof leaked water when it rained and they spent a long time fixing that
-ECU had to be changed
-Ignition coils went bad, all 6 had to be changed
-Bose headunit in my car had to be replaced 5 times because it kept on going bad
-Numerous rattlings
-Rotors became wrapped every 6k miles.
-Two of the catalytic converter had to be replaced

My point in this post is that you should be HAPPY that Honda is giving you an extended warranty on your transmission. Nissan/Infiniti resale value compared to Honda/Acura, Honda/acura always have a higher resale value then nissan/infiniti.
Every car will have it's share of problems. I have personally seen a lot more Honda/Toyota cars hit over 200k miles then any Nissan cars out there.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Wow! I have know owners of Nissans to have problem vehicles but that
is REALLY bad. Sorry for your troubles.

But, I have to agree with the general reliability critiques. The main reason
most bought Acuras were because of the value and reliability. A 4-5%
failure rate on a main comonent like the transmision is not good. Maybe
acceptable on other brands but not Acura. Any while they are value
vehicles they are far from inexpensive.

Plus, the story on the transmission failure rate is not over. With the bulk
of failures expected in 2005 by the time the failure rate settles down it
may be MUCH higher. I think it may be considered a safety recall issue.
Abrupt loss of power while attempting to pass would definitely be catagorized
as safety.

I switched from Toyota to Acura because of the percieved quality level
and hope I have not made an error. I had three Toyota's across 17
years and they were all exceptionally reliable cars. So far I have not
personally had any problems but the transmission failure issue make me
nervous. Not enough to sell it yet though.

/Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its a stupid reason if you ask me that your getting rid of the car..but to each their own. Good luck with the G.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Flave
Of course you could care, you responded.

I guess it's paranoia about reading into the tranny failure threads of this forum. A few negative comments about it could do that to you. Nevertheless, good luck on the G35. By the way, you might want to read about that car in their forum, in case they have their share of problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Flave
g coupe or sedan (6speed or auto?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Instructor

A friend of mine has a G35 coupe 6MT w/ 17K miles, and currently it's in the shop for a new tranny. I love how the car(G35 cpe) looks and drives, and honestly I was going to pick one up. But since my wife is pregnant, I went with the TL-S. The G would not have been practical (says my wife). And the G35 sedan doesn't do anything for me, although I almost settled for it due to the 6spd option. Anyhow, I'm happy with my '03 TL-S thus far with no problems, squeaks, and rattles whatsoever. Build date on my car is 05/03 so "supposedly" I'm in the clear. *knock*knock*. But yeah, good luck with the G...