TL Type-s VS. BMW 330i

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 10:11 AM

Lightbulb TL Type-s VS. BMW 330i

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a performace sport sedan. I need help on deciding between TL Type-S & 330i. Please give me some feedback.
Please compare with the following categories.
1. (Most important) Performance
2. (2nd important ) Handling
3. (3rd " " ) Reliability
4. (4th " " ) Price
Old 04-18-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by leowu:
Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a performace sport sedan. I need help on deciding between TL Type-S & 330i. Please give me some feedback.
4. (4th " " ) Price
1. In acceleration, the TL-s should be faster, if you are comparing Automatic to Automatic while the BMW should be slightly faster, if it is equipped with the manual transmission (the TL-s does not come in a manual version for an apples-to-apples comparison).
2. Handling in the dry - BMW all the way. Handling in the wet/snowy conditions, TL-s all the way.
3. Reliability should go to the Honda product-TL-s
4. Price, with apples-to-apples features should go to the TL-s. But you can get a strippo model BMW 330 for about the same price as the full loaded (as it comes standard), TL-s.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on April 18, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-18-2001, 10:47 AM

Talking

thank u Hunter!

I think I need to clearify that, I'm comparing TL type-S to Bmw 330i (AUTOMATICS)
not manual!

Hunter! Wy do u think TL type-s handle better in wet/snow condition compared to 330i? Just becuz TL is FWD and 330i is RWD?
Old 04-18-2001, 02:30 PM

I went through the same thing.

I got a Black TLS.

The 330i is nice too.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:13 PM

Question

Lawrence: Why did u get TL Type-s instead of 330i?
Old 04-18-2001, 05:37 PM

I got a pretty good deal on it.

I also wanted to stear clear of the BMW "Aura" which surrounds those cars.

Another problem was the dealer. He was an ASH Hole and the Acura guy was cool.

I needed more trunk and backseat space too. BMW was too small in those areas.

I saved a few bucks too with the Acura as well.

I might get a BMW one day though.
Old 04-19-2001, 01:44 AM
Pro

Cool

Forget BMW, which stands for Buy More Weinerschnitzel! These cars are overpriced and definitely over-rated. They do not handle nearly as good as many people here say they do. If you want German, get an Audi! Otherwise, you can't beat the TL-S
Old 04-19-2001, 07:50 AM
Pro

thank u Hunter!

I think I need to clearify that, I'm comparing TL type-S to Bmw 330i (AUTOMATICS)
not manual!

Hunter! Wy do u think TL type-s handle better in wet/snow condition compared to 330i? Just becuz TL is FWD and 330i is RWD?
Yes, the 50:50 weight distribution, along with the rear-wheel-drive with excellent steering, which ensures other-worldly level of handling performance in the BMW, act in the reverse way, when the climate gets nasty. Then it becomes a disaster. You have to drive very very gingerly in the BMW in nasty weather. I drove behind a late model 5-series BMW a couple of months back, during a snow storm in NJ. The way that car was slipping and sliding, was scary. Also, that car obviously would have been equipped with DSC (equivalent to VSA of Acura), but that certainly was not helping much. I kept a wide berth between my TL and the BMW.

The TL-s on the other hand will handle predictably in all weather conditions - dry, wet, snowy or whatever.

Of course, the best combination would be an AWD car. Some of the BMWs come in that format. But they cost more money.

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-19-2001, 09:30 AM
Pro

4. (4th " " ) Price
If your #1&2 priorities are performance & handling, get the 330. BUT, you also say you want an automatic, which contradicts your priorities.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 04-19-2001, 12:21 PM

Cool

that's right, I want performance and handling. But I have to get Automatics becuz my wife need to drive the car also.

And, it's unfair to compare 330i manual to TL-S automatics. I want to compare apple to apple. So that, I made the comparison between 330i automatics to TL-S automatics.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro

My advise is stay away from the BMW 3 series. I own a 2000 BMW 323i. You can't believe how bad the build quality is on this vehicle. In the first year of ownership. I got a s*** load of problems. Sun roof rail broken in the first 6 months of ownership, passager's window motor is broken, ABS cover fall out, etc. I finally trade this car in and get a TL Type S. And the TL Type S had every features my BMW had. Auto dim mirror, seat memory, leather, power seat, etc. with a whole lot less money. For my BMW to equip it with the same equipments as the Type S it will cause you over 36K. And after the covered maintenance is expired in the BMW. You'll be suprised to find out how much money you need to come out to maintain the car.

Good luck on your choice.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 04-19-2001, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it's really hit or miss w/ the BMW and MB quality. I know people w/ both types of cars and either they've had NO problems, or they've had some pricey ones (covered under warranty of course, but indicative of the poor quality on their particular machines). My '94 Lexus NEVER had any problems until I hit 100K miles on it -- then I had the A/C go out ($900.00), the struts and wheel-bearings ($2000.00+).. But I drove the car INTO THE GROUND!! It really took a beating. But before the 100K mark, a gem!

I don't hear often of people w/ Acura (50K+ miles) w/ serious problems or even pesky problems other than occassional rattles and whatnot.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:54 PM
Racer

i was following a bimmer in a snowstorm going 10mph through a turn that inclined. the car lost traction and just slid sideways (because of the turn) and down because of the incline and didn't stop till it hit the divider.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:16 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go drive both cars...very hard to judge without being behind the wheel of one.