TL Type S or Next Generation Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TL Type S or Next Generation Lexus ES300

A member on here just posted some possible pics of the nextgen Camry / ES300, which both are up for a redesign and should be out soon.

I love to get my hands on the new TL Type S, however there is something about Lexus that is not only prestigous, but very cool to own one. If Lexus smarts up and finally makes a sporty version of the ES300 (IS300 is too small, like a souped up CIVIC), then I will consider the nextgen ES300.

Besides Lexus is still built in Japan and you know that the quality is amazing. Don't get me wrong, Acura's are still made well in OH, but these little things that go wrong here and there, annoy the hell out of me.

Even some buddies on here, say that in late 2002 & early 2003 the next gen TL will be coming out. Ahh so many decisions, can't decide! :-)

Feel free to comment.

Old 02-03-2001, 01:26 AM
Burning Brakes

everyone *****es and complains about this and that goes wrong. it doesn't make a difference where its made. if its mass produced its not gonna be perfect. My dad has a SL500 and a 740il, my mom has a Q45. All but the SL500 has sqeeks and creaks. My uncle stopped buying MB and went to Bimmers cause he hated the craftmanship of the Benz. Actually someone posted on another topic that a team of experts tested a bunch of cars for defects and shit and acura tl's actually came out pretty high on that.

------------------
'99 Acura 3.2TL Satin Silver
Old 02-03-2001, 02:38 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
There is a price premium for cars built in Japan over for those built in the US, a large percentage being the import tax and the exchange rate. The 2nd (current) generation 3.2TL's are way cheaper than the 1st generation 3.2TL's. In fact, the introduction list price for the 2nd gen 3.2TL's is only slightly over that for the 1st gen 2.5TL's. This is one of the reasons why the current TL's are named the best value and the best buy in the near luxury sedan category in many reviews. The ES300's were the best selling near luxury sport sedan in the US for every year since their introduction. Does anybody know if it is still the case now ?
Old 02-03-2001, 12:58 PM
Banned

where did you get the info on the lexus es300? i would like to see the pictures.. and when does it plan to come out?
Old 02-03-2001, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Crzy Acura:
where did you get the info on the lexus es300? i would like to see the pictures.. and when does it plan to come out?
Hey Crzy, There is a another posting that reads Competition for TL, it's here somewhere. The possible new ES300 looks very nice. It's going to change soon, since the current style has been around for a while. I would like the GS430, but that is my dream car of course :-)
Old 02-04-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Edward'TLS:
There is a price premium for cars built in Japan over for those built in the US, a large percentage being the import tax and the exchange rate. The 2nd (current) generation 3.2TL's are way cheaper than the 1st generation 3.2TL's. In fact, the introduction list price for the 2nd gen 3.2TL's is only slightly over that for the 1st gen 2.5TL's. This is one of the reasons why the current TL's are named the best value and the best buy in the near luxury sedan category in many reviews. The ES300's were the best selling near luxury sport sedan in the US for every year since their introduction. Does anybody know if it is still the case now ?
Yes it is true that there is an Import Tariff penalty applicable to vehicles that are imported. Tariffs typically range from 5-25% which would raise the price by quite a bit. Japan has a tariff which I believe is set at the higher end (25%?).

Also, the 2nd Generation 3.2TL has outsold the ES300 by a factor of 2 to 1 since its introduction.

By no stretch of imagination can we paint the Boaty, buickish riding ES300 as a "Sports Sedan". It is almost laughable. This is the only car in the Lexus line-up that has the cheaper and inferior MacPherson strut suspension in the front and the back, unlike Lexus cars like the GS300/430/LS430/SC430/IS300 that have the dynamic and more expensive double wishbone suspensions in the front and a multi-link double wishbone in the back, like the 3.2TL/CL/CL-s/3.5RL from Acura.

Just my 2c.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 02-07-2001, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Right now the ES300 is not even a valid choice against a TL or TL TYPE S, but we shall see what they will for the the next gen coming up.

Lexus is all about quality and service, so they really need to beef up the power in their true entry level luxury sedan (IS300 doesn't even compare to a TL - it's a Civic!). But hey if you have 40K, go for a fully loaded 330i series or a scaled down 530i series. If you have $30-$35K right now, the TL Type S is the way to go. Looks sporty, sophisticated and luxury all over!
Old 02-12-2001, 01:28 PM

I drove the Lexus, Infinity, Acura, and BMW this past weekend.
It boiled down to the Acura and BMW after all said and done.
Lexus IS300 is waaaayyy too cramped inside but FAST! It really moves and handles well.
The Infinity is lame.
The BMW was very nice and handles well. I really like the quality they put into the car.
The Acura was the most reasonable of them all and combined the comfort/handling nicely. There were some cheapy aspects that bothered me but for the price...
Anyway, Its down to the BMW 3series and Acura TL or TL S Type(not wild about the new front styling though).
Lexus ES300 is not an option though. Forget about it.
Old 02-12-2001, 02:59 PM

Exclamation

Originally posted by Lawrence:
I drove the Lexus, Infinity, Acura, and BMW this past weekend.
It boiled down to the Acura and BMW after all said and done.
Lexus IS300 is waaaayyy too cramped inside but FAST! It really moves and handles well.
The Infinity is lame.
The BMW was very nice and handles well. I really like the quality they put into the car.
The Acura was the most reasonable of them all and combined the comfort/handling nicely. There were some cheapy aspects that bothered me but for the price...
Anyway, Its down to the BMW 3series and Acura TL or TL S Type(not wild about the new front styling though).
Lexus ES300 is not an option though. Forget about it.
My thought exactly! The full loaded 330i is irresistable! But you have to pay 8K to 10K more than TL-S. Only if I have that much to spend.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, all those cars are nice - I know, I drove them all and finally settled on a TL.

The new 3 from BMW is quite compelling, though, isn't it! A lot of people b*tch that it costs too much, but I came close to ordering one as I wanted it, and w/o all the options it is not too bad for a 325: I would have ordered wood, leather, CD and the Harmon-Kardon stereo and driven off for barely over $30k. They said that it takes 30-45 days to get delivery on a special-order car, and you can order for only $500.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, but you can't go wrong with a TL. Of course, given the money I'd be driving a 540 or 740i!!!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, wood, tint and Whistler
Old 02-12-2001, 11:33 PM
HU
Instructor

Where are the links to the new Camry/ES300?

When I bought the TL, I was looking at the Camry but the looks weren't that appealing. It seemed too conservative. The accord is similar to the Camry, that is why I bought the TL instead.

Toyota's are really nice cars and the quality is really good... probablly better than Acura. I bet you that their sunroofs don't make weird noises. I guess the looks etc. come down to personal preference.

I couldn't afford a BMW... so I didn't bother looking. Although... sometimes I wonder if I should have bought a Pathfinder instead. I always beleived the gas is much more expensive... however, the gas on the TL is expensive as well... especially with the 91+ octane.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

There is something about that BMW 330i Series that is intriguing. If you are into the brand of car you drive, BMW is brand that makes you think, wow, I own a BMW!

The only problem I have about this car is that it's small and the price.

For the size issue, you can get in the low $40's the 530i, which is larger. For the price issue, I will own a BMW the day that I say, hey I have all this money, I don't even know what to do with it ;-)

For now it's the TL TYPE S for 2003 (I have to wait a little longer). But I do want to see what Lexus comes out with soon for the New ES300 and RX300.

Infiniti I30t is also nice, but who drives and Infiniti there days? LOL!
Old 02-14-2001, 01:47 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by MafiosoTL:
everyone *****es and complains about this and that goes wrong. it doesn't make a difference where its made. if its mass produced its not gonna be perfect. My dad has a SL500 and a 740il, my mom has a Q45. All but the SL500 has sqeeks and creaks. My uncle stopped buying MB and went to Bimmers cause he hated the craftmanship of the Benz. Actually someone posted on another topic that a team of experts tested a bunch of cars for defects and shit and acura tl's actually came out pretty high on that.

Damn son, your family is rich!!! Are you one of those young guys spending his parents' money on mods? Just messin with you, bro! You're right about what you said.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-14-2001, 06:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Doesn't ES stand for Extreme Somnolence?

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled