Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl Turbo ????

Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 PM
10th Gear

where to find

does anyone have any idea if it does exist let me know not supercharged though turbo and pics if you can
Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its called hella custom work and hella $$$$$$$$
Old 05-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
No turbocharger kit for our cars, at least not yet. But there is one guy on A-CL that turbocharged his CL. I can't remember his name, though.

If you have a lot of knowledge on forced induction, you could do it yourself.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:51 AM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OU Sig
Its called hella custom work and hella $$$$$$$$

for serious haha. Someone with a CL custom made a turbo but i forgot who.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Racer

yeah sure, i remember this guy with a 6 spd cls. and like just the parts cost like around 7k. he's like building it himself. but vtec is NOT designed to go with turbo, that's why honda have 0 turbo cars now. with 7 k, u can get a sc+3.5conversion+6spd conversion. which in my opinion is better than turbo.

my $0.02
Old 05-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Dragging knees in

Good point, but I just love the sound of a BOV.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:12 AM
Racer

the cl guy

the guy's name IRONICALLY is ALL_motor2000. He ran turbo for his carand ran like 12.6x he also I BELieve not sure about this one but he also ran his ran with a 3.5L upgrade ( not with the turbo) but he had the 3.6 first then the turbo. and didnt like it. THat is why he went with Turbo. He might be building it for our car but dont think it will be any time soon. Yeah TL with a turbo might be kinda crazy. Someone Gotta be the first and Try it out and let us know how it runs.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:13 AM
Racer

well if u like the BOV new equation

3.5 conversion+sc+6spd+$200fake BOV = still less than 7k

what do u guys think??

i hope i'm not pissing anyone off, im just trying to get some humor on this thread

HEHE
Old 05-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLSAnthracite
yeah sure, i remember this guy with a 6 spd cls. and like just the parts cost like around 7k. he's like building it himself. but vtec is NOT designed to go with turbo, that's why honda have 0 turbo cars now. with 7 k, u can get a sc+3.5conversion+6spd conversion. which in my opinion is better than turbo.

my $0.02

Sorry, but you have your head in the clouds if you think $7K will get you all that. The S/C alone is around $3900 new. The 3.5 L upgrade from Velocity Resources is another $3000 to $4300 depending on which rods, pistons, etc. that you go with.

Factor in labour to install the 3.5 L upgrade and the S/C, and you're looking at an additional $2000...give or take several hundred.

That's already well over $8K

As for the 6-spd manual tranny. Where do I begin? This isn't your regular thousand dollar civic tranny swap that you just throw away the auto and dump in the 5-spd gearbox. You have to deal with additional motor mounts, taking out the foot e-brake and installing the hand e-brake, modding the ecu, LSD in place of VSA...in addition to etc. etc. etc.

After labour and parts you're looking at $5K to $10K.

So, the S/C + 3.5 L upgrade + 6-spd conversion will cost at least $13K. That's almost double what allmotor_2000 spent on his turbo.

Speaking of which, he hit 12.9 in the 1/4 mile and consistently ran very low 13's when he was boosting at 6.5.

Last I heard, he had plans on producing a turbo kit for the 6-spd CL. A more efficient setup than his original turbo kit. Pricing would probably be around $5K to $7K again.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Racer

no not if ur doing the block swap, it's cheaper that way. You'll be using ur type-s head but a 3.5 block. Well i do agree with that the a 3.5 6 spd cost more than 4k sorry for miscaculations but still not more than 10k. I got people that's willing to do it for me just because they want to know how it's like too. so don't have to worry about labor on my end.

Oh and are u sure that the $13k isn't in cnd? cuz u know cnd aint worth as much as usd.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Advanced

no not if ur doing the block swap, it's cheaper that way. You'll be using ur type-s head but a 3.5 block. Well i do agree with that the a 3.5 6 spd cost more than 4k sorry for miscaculations but still not more than 10k. I got people that's willing to do it for me just because they want to know how it's like too. so don't have to worry about labor on my end.

Oh and are u sure that the $13k isn't in cnd? cuz u know cnd aint worth as much as usd.

Your sarcasm regarding currency values is lost on me

Riiiiight...where can I get a new S/C for $3900 CAD($2850 USD)?

Uhh, Velocity Resources' 3.5 L upgrade is a block swap. It's the MDX block with upgraded internals and lowered compression.

If you're going to just drop the MDX block in for your 3.5 L upgrade, you better hope that you luck out and get an earlier production block. They went with another material for the rods mid-production. The old blocks had steel rods whereas the newer rods are made from an inferior material/process. If you're going to stroke the engine to 3.5 L and supercharge it, you're going to have to build up the bottom end anyways.

For the older block, you would need to upgrade to JE pistons and have the stock steel rods shot-peened & magnafluxed.

For the newer block, you would need the JE pistons and custom rods from Crower(there's a guy on A-CL.com doing a N/A 3.5 L upgrade...he's been waiting almost 6 months for Crower to build his rods).

Just upgrading these two parts of your stock internals will run you at least a thousand dollars...yes...USD.

Dropping in the stock MDX block(and using the MDX crankshaft) will result in bumping up your compression. What happens to a high-compression engine on forced induction?

So, unless you're getting a super killer deal on the block, pistons, and rods, etc. plus the supercharger and the tranny swap, you're still looking at an amount that is not as cost-effective as the turbo kit.

If the 3.5 L upgrade + S/C were as simple as you portray it to be, I would have done it already...I have a connection to get the MDX block for $600(USD). Of course labour costs aside, the deterrant here is the logistics behind making it run properly as a daily driver...and having it done in a timely fashion...waiting for rods for 1/2 a year is ridiculous.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Racer

it's still way closer than the turbo, remember, that guys is building a turbo for a cls 6 spd. and plus like i stated before VTEC does not work well with turbo.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Advanced

and plus like i stated before VTEC does not work well with turbo.

How can you say that when allmotor_2000 has proven just the opposite? Running 6.5 PSI he was able to get into the 12's. From his posts, it seemed to work quite well and was rather reliable.

Can you provide some cases that prove otherwise? I've come across a few hondas and acuras that were running low to moderate boost that were relatively reliable. It's when you start boosting higher and higher that you encounter reliability issues...but that's true of any car running high boost.

As for the 6-spd vs auto debate for the turbo, it's not an issue. He's willing to make one for the auto. He just needs one for testing.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Dragging knees in

If you're serious about going turbo, then it's better to ditch the VTEC head and go with non-VTEC. That's why the Integra LS motor is way more popular than a GS-R motor for turbo, among other reasons.

Then again, us TL/CL people don't have that luxury.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Racer

dude, i'm not trying to say that turbo is no good or anything, i'm just saying there are alternatives and honda themselves proves that vtec don't work well with turbo, that's why they don't have any vtec turbo cars. And plus getting a turbo into a tl is alot more work. you need to find/build ur parts and instalation is a b**ch.

like i said before i'm not hating on turbos i think they are nice, i was jsut sorta kiddin at the begining and get some humor, i wans't the one going around grilling people saying that how wrong they were in my very first post.

You just came around and started being "thread cop" trying to enfore what u think is right.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Racer

i concur with pure adrenaline, well said
Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Hey, I'm not trying to impose my will on you or anybody else for that matter. I'm trying to be impartial and objective. I've spent the last few years on these forums learning a lot. I just thought this would be an opportunity for me to contribute something back to the forums in terms of information for somebody who is truly and seriously interested in performing these modifications. I guess I've wasted my time with you.

And, when did I ever start "grilling people saying that how wrong they were" and enforcing what I think is right? Obviously, you were a little off on your initial estimate. I merely provided you with the correct information provided by the actual companies and individuals that have experience and know what they are saying.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Dragging knees in

Come on, guys. No need to get upset. We're all here for the same thing -- to learn more about our cars. People are bound to have different opinions and levels of knowledge. Some may be right, some may be wrong. But that's why we come here -- to learn more from each other.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Racer

truce, and well said
My apology
"My bad" and "sorry"
Old 05-05-2004, 04:37 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Come on, guys. No need to get upset. We're all here for the same thing -- to learn more about our cars. People are bound to have different opinions and levels of knowledge. Some may be right, some may be wrong. But that's why we come here -- to learn more from each other.

Well said.

If there is a turbo setup in the works great. I'm really pleased with the SC and looking forward to more gains. Our goal is to get the TL auto in the mid to high 12s. Right now at 5-5.5 lbs of boost it did a best of 13.68 in 82 temp. Hopefully we'll have similar if not better results as ALL_motor2000 got with his turbo. Total boost is targetted at 9.5 intercooled maybe 350-380whp?
Payntech pulley will be installed next week for a possible net of 7.5-8.5lbs of non-intercooled boost. Intercooler has been on order for about 3-4 weeks now. I'll update as I can.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say start with the 3.5L upgrade. Its a little cheaper than the custom turbo or the comptech S/C idea, and its much safer for the motor. Plus while doing the 3.5 upgrade you will have the change to build up the motor and prepare it for forced induction. You dont just "drop a turbo" in a car. If the motor wasnt built for it, you WILL kill it. Maby not now, maby not later, but eventually!

Im going to do 3.5L pretty soon i think, ill prob have velocity resources do it. its cheap and you get that 40 or 50 wheel HP extra that you would get from S/C....
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Originally Posted by Darkshear
Im going to do 3.5L pretty soon i think, ill prob have velocity resources do it. its cheap and you get that 40 or 50 wheel HP extra that you would get from S/C....
Good choice Darkshear. I've had Velocity Resourses do all my mods and they have done great job. They just did another Comptech super charger on a TLS this past weekend. They are very experienced on both sc and 3.5. I hope to get to meet you some time since you live in Tampa.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Banned

I'am in the process of working with a company called RevHard. They have already taken measurments and soforth and have started to fab me a kit for my TL-S. They are debating to make my car either twin or single turbocharged. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. My car is prety fast now with just aem cai, aem pulleys, headers, straight pipe, greddy evo cat back. My best time was a 14.7 in palmdale, california with a altitude of 4,000 feet and 80deg temp. I figure with 5-7 lbs of boost i should break into the high 12s at sea level.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Racer

So why don't turbos work well with VTEC engines? I'm a turbo newbie here.

Also, what are the differences between all the different stages in turbos, I was checking out mods for S4s and saw different stages, but don't know what each one signifies.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

HKS made a phototype turbo kit for a 98-up accord v6 but not alot of use want it. if i can fine the book i will see what they all did and email them to see what had to be done.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Banned

That is not true about turbo's don't work good with vtec. I have had 2 turbo motors in my life that were built. I had a h22a fully built turbocharged that put down 465hp to the wheels at only 15psi. My other motor was a gsr same thing built that put down on my first pass was only 289hp at 10psi and then figured out that my vtec was not working due to it not being plugged in. I did a second pass with vtec plugged in and i dynoed at 375hp to the wheels. So what does that tell you. The different thing about stages means, they make a kit for like down pipes, then stage with like down pipes and chip and soforth
Old 05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

There's a 98-02 accord turbo kit at
http://www.turbo-kits.com/accord_turbo_kits.html

does this mean you could fit it onto a 99 TL (with a little bit of modification maybe)?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Yeah i remember seeing that car the day after it left hks at a show in palmdale about 4 1/2 years ago. Hey vipvop, the site that you have on your thread is only for 4cyl accord's
Old 05-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Racer

Ok I will shed some light on this. Turbo will work on vtec engines, just not as well as it would on non-vtec motors. The reason behind this is that on a vtec motor, when vtec engages, it opens both the intake and exhaust valves, making the compressed air easily escape and not get into the cylinders. But there are kits that work beautifully with vtec motors so believing that turbo on a vtec motor being pointless is totally false. And in regards to the TL motor, I believe our SOCH Vtec Motors only open the valves on the intake side not the exhaust side. So the compressed air will be able to get into the cylinders easier than a non-vtec motor, being that our intake valves are wide open, and stay in the cylinders for combustion, seeing as how our exhaust valves are still closed at the point of vtec engagement. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs...and this is only an assumption from the knowledge I have about vtec and forced induction, which is quite extensive. I think I am correct tho, but can anyone corroborate this?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:47 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i cant even corroborate the first 3 letters...i know nothing about forced induction nor vtec...i do know that if anyone turboes a non-turboed engine, you will get some major hp+...i supply $$ distributor and mechanic install hardware and then i smoke some pot.

*EDIT: also consider that you run the chance of overheating since the intercooler will be infront of the radiator...o, i dun smoke notn.

peace.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by etxxz
also consider that you run the chance of overheating since the intercooler will be infront of the radiator...o, i dun smoke notn.

peace.
I've never seen a front mount intercooler cause problems with air getting to the radiator in any turbo/supercharged application in any car.