TL trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL trans cooler?

Hi, i have noticed only the 99 tls have the trans cooler in the rad. i know they have a kinda heat exchanger, but could u add an after market trans cooler in front on the radiator and tap the one trans line on top the trans? is there a reason they didnt put a cooler on these? i think the failure rate may be lower if they cooled better, but if im going to mess up the line pressures it would help.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
9th Gear

sorry i posted twice, my computer was glitching.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do a search on it. There are members who have installed it, and it will have no effect on helping the failure rate (as i had 4 failures with one on) Yes you can install one, its fairly easy.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Tranny Cooler

If you like to have a tranny fluid cooler installed, I highly recommend it.

As mentioned above ^^, tranny fluid cooler is not going to fix the third gear problem. Its main purpose is to cool the fluid and keep it within the normal operating temperature.

From my experience with the tranny cooler, after the cooler was installed, I never get the radiator fan running after I park my car, the same distance from work to home, during or after the stop and go traffic. That instantly tells me there is a difference. Without the cooler, the radiator fan is running every time I park my car after a short stop and go drive and from work to home. Many have mentioned without the cooler, the tranny is unable to boil the fluid, which is true. But, that does not mean the fluid is operating within the normal temperature. With the cooler, I can feel the shifting is more firm and smoother between gears. If you feel no different between 87 and 91 gas, then nothing I speak here means anything to you. For long distance traveling with loaded weights, the fluid appears to be within operating temperature and did not introduce slipping comparing to when I did not have the cooler. There is a reason why acura does not have a tranny radiator cooler like 99, so use your own judgement. With the cooler The fluid stay pink longer, and so far I see probably less black residue sticking on the deepstick; I will have to see how much residue will be on the drain plug on my next fluid change. Besides the fluid initial change, if you have to do 3x3 every 30k, I suggest you to do 1x3qrts every 10k. This give you a better chance to keep an eye on your tranny.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acutee
If you like to have a tranny fluid cooler installed, I highly recommend it.

As mentioned above ^^, tranny fluid cooler is not going to fix the third gear problem. Its main purpose is to cool the fluid and keep it within the normal operating temperature.

From my experience with the tranny cooler, after the cooler was installed, I never get the radiator fan running after I park my car, the same distance from work to home, during or after the stop and go traffic. That instantly tells me there is a difference. Without the cooler, the radiator fan is running every time I park my car after a short stop and go drive and from work to home. Many have mentioned without the cooler, the tranny is unable to boil the fluid, which is true. But, that does not mean the fluid is operating within the normal temperature. With the cooler, I can feel the shifting is more firm and smoother between gears. If you feel no different between 87 and 91 gas, then nothing I speak here means anything to you. For long distance traveling with loaded weights, the fluid appears to be within operating temperature and did not introduce slipping comparing to when I did not have the cooler. There is a reason why acura does not have a tranny radiator cooler like 99, so use your own judgement. With the cooler The fluid stay pink longer, and so far I see probably less black residue sticking on the deepstick; I will have to see how much residue will be on the drain plug on my next fluid change. Besides the fluid initial change, if you have to do 3x3 every 30k, I suggest you to do 1x3qrts every 10k. This give you a better chance to keep an eye on your tranny.
I could never tell a difference in shifts with it on. Towing or not towing either.
Also having a cooler on a 00+ should have No bearing on the radiator fan running more or not either as the fluid doesnt go into the radiator to add more heat to cause the radiator fan to go on.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
I read somewhere, our cars have liquid to liquid heat exchange cooler. I believe the reason the radiator fan comes on more often without the tranny cooler is because of the liquid to liquid heat exchange unit has obsorbed a huge amount of heat from the tranny fluid. Tranny fluid temperature is surely always higher than the coolant after a short normal operation of the car. Thus, heat is transferred to the coolant, and the fan has to run more often to cool down the coolant. I don't know how else tranny fluid get cool in our cars.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

According to the manual is sole purpose is a ATF warmer, and only operates as that. While im sure it helps transfer heat, it shouldnt be absorbing that much heat as to cause your fan to run more. its a very small amount thats circulated into it from the motor, and only comes out when the thermostat opens to flow, only then is fluid actually circulated into and out of it so it shouldnt be causing the fan to run more.
Now adding a actual cooler will be constantly circulating fluid helping cool it, but like said before it will have no bearing on the trans failure as over heating of the fluid in the trans isnt the cause
Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Cruisin'

Heat surely will transfer to anything that is attached to it, especially the engine block. Heat from the tranny case will get transferred through engine block and heat up the coolant quicker. That is why I use thermoBlok for the TB.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you assesment acutee. I have a newer Acura Replacement Trans (2008). It is supposed to have larger fluid ports to fix the internal cooling issue. Is this just dealer-speak? Anyway, as indulge in my wishfill thinking ...I have a practically new trans (~20K)(with improved design, more coolnlant flow; free of the jet-kit) It work grat now, smooth shifty, yes, even better with cooler trans fluid, (really, just like acutte said). It it can't hurt the gears, seals and clutches to be 20 degs cooler. I'm planning to get the $52 unit. Oh yeah, the guage soulds like great idea. How about some links? Did I miss them?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to the forum-
this thread hasnt been active for a year and a half, there have been others similar in more recent times with brands tried and DIY- try the search feature

the redesigned replacement warranty trans made since early 2005 still have the 2nd gear oiler kit, except its been moved inside the trans as part of the redsign with better oil flow
passages
the reduced heat wont hurt,, but unless you are towing a boat with the TL its not going to solve the 3rd gear clutch pack heat issue
There is simply not enough room for enough plates to take the power the TL can make
and that makes things hot

Our moderator has been thru 5 auto trans in 200,000 miles and rebuilt 2 himself
He got the least miles from 2 trans with an oil cooler~
what does that say about being better?
Our issue is flow not temp