TL for a Teenager?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TL for a Teenager?

Hi,

I'm 16 years old and in 5 mo. when I'm 17, I'm getting a car. I'm 6' 1" and a somewhat large build and can get cramped in a lot of cars. In case you guys were wondering other car's I was interested in, they were the BMW 325i and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I have about 75& of my driving experience with, as we have gone through 4 of them in the past 10 years.) I go to a large public high school school and it has everything from the old beater to the new porsche parked in the lot.

I need to choose a car up to and around $32k. My parents are buying and covering insurance. Yes, I'm very lucky. I'm unlucky because I cannot decide on a car! I need a car that will be used to and from school, driving for errands, weekend drives to the movies and crusing around. I'm gonna need 4 seats, and aiming for a 4 door, cuz a 2-door/coupe is a b!tch to get people in. I don't need a race car but would like one with enough power to be pretty zippy. I've only driven automatic but willing to learn manual if it is nessesary to get the perfect car. I like the BMW 325i's auto transmission because you can switch to seqencial shifting when you want to. Want a flashy car, but not flashy to attract jerks/keying. Backseat needs be comfortable for my pals I'll be lugging around. Truck should be average, but not tiny. Any help is greatly apreciated. I've been looking at BMW, Subaru (WRX), Acura (RSX), Nissan, Mitsubishi and others. Do you think the 3.2 TL Type S is a good choice for me? I sat in a 02' TL-S last week and was very comfortable. Also, my cousin has a '01 TL-S (which I discovered last month!). Thanks

-David
Old 02-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Whats up david... Last year for my sevententh b-day my parents got me a TL its a great car. I looked at the IS300, 325i and Maxima. I wasnt really into acura at that time but when I looked at it I thought it was perfect. Insurance is gonna be a ass....
Old 02-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

and yea I am 6 foot 190lbs and car is pretty damn roomy.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:14 PM

So, do you think you get THE car you wanted. Are you very satisfied with the car? I'm right now really between the overpriced but great looking 325i and the TL-S. In case anyone wanted to know, I planned for SOME time in the future to get like a body kit to spruce up the TL-S, if I was to get it. My 17th b-day IS when I'm allowed to get a car. What are the insurance rates? Just wondering... Thanks
Old 02-09-2002, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

The TL-s is a great damn car. I wish I would have wiated like 3 month to get that. My insurance is 300 a month wit one accident.
The BMW is also a great car but underpowered. But also remember that a German horse is bigger htan a Jap.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:52 PM

Do you think the 325i would suit me better? Again, I'm not looking for a "complete" speed demon, but the occasional little race and zippy rides around town.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I can't believe how lucky (and rich) some 16-year-olds are.

I think a TL-S (or even a TL-P) will fit your bill quite nicely.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Go test drive both cars. I bought the Type-S because I couldn't find a German vehicle that offer a 260 HP V6, 5-speed SS AT, traction control, VSC, Bose stereo with 6-disc CD changer, heated seats, leather upholstery, sunroof, etc... and much-better-than-average reliability (Consumer Report) around 32K.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Peach Tea

im 17, i got the TL when i was 15 and had a permit. i LOVE IT!! i am about 6 foot too. i drive with the seat all the way back. i wish i could get a type S now!! the TL is perfect for me. whatever you choose, good luck!

oh BTW, you mentioned that the BMW has auto w/ seqencial shifting, the TL has a sport shifter too! its a neat little toy:p
Old 02-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Buckle Up

Im 16 in 2 weeks. I drive my moms 99 TL and my brothers 01 CL. The TL will be perfect for you. Its such a nice roomy car. The best looking 4dr sedan for the price range. The CL is such a hassle to get in and out of. I like it alot, but sucks to have ppl in the back. GET THE TL!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

i got my tl when i turned 17 and i love it. i wish i had the type s, though, now that it came out.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:04 PM

My opinion....

Well, the BMW is Overpriced, Underpowered, and Underequipped, but is a real looker. However, keep in mind maintenance is going to be tough on a BMW compared to a TL.

My suggestion is to go drive a TL-S and an IS300 (Comes in stick now). While I have never driven an IS300, they seem to be awesome cars and capable power wise, however they aren't as fast as a TL-S. Hope I helped at all.

I'm 16, and my dad just bought a TL - It is a great car and I LOVE it. However, the IS300 is a little "cooler" in the looks department - just a little edgier and more youthful. Good luck in your car search!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro

Hi I will be 17 in about 2 weeks I got my TL on my 16th b-day I think it is a great car I would definately get the type-s over a 325 any day. I am also a large man I am 5'10" and about 280 lbs I find the TL very comfortable especially in long drives all my friends find it very comfortable as well

be sure to get the navigation system it helps in picking up girls
Old 02-09-2002, 09:57 PM
4dr & I like it that way

I'm 17 and I love my TL. The backseat is so comfortable that my friends have trouble staying awake while back there
Old 02-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Instructor

im 17 and roll a tl myself . . . the number one reason why i got it is because you rarely see a teenager rolling a tl and especially a hooked up tl. my choices of cars were BMW 330, is300, or the tl. i have my tl but its aiightz . . . i wish i would have waited to get a 330. . . .HEhE
Old 02-09-2002, 10:49 PM
Racer

Bro....it is the perfect choice..I'm 6'1'' and 150 pounds and the car fits me fine....and wit a lil work the car will be quickkkk and clean looking...so i suggest you get the TL...
Old 02-09-2002, 11:40 PM

WOW, I'm surprised in the number of you TL owners who are about my age! Well, that makes me feel better, knowing I am thinking about a car that is not driven only by old farts.

I love everything (pretty much) about the TL except the looks. It is kinda bland and classic looking, and as "KidD" said, not many teens are seen driving them. From the pics I've seen though, with basic body kit parts, spoilers, windows tints, and awesome tires, it can be made into a great looking car!

KidD, do you regret getting the TL? The 330i is about 6k more than the other two cars in your list and is of course really good. I'm aiming in the lower 30k's.

For a long time, and still now, I've been wanting a Honda S2000. I got a test ride in one, and was very impressed. I've researched that car more than any other in my "list". I'm pretty such I was be "able" to get it, but I keep feeling the 2 seater will be very limited to me as I usually roll w/ my friends. The power and looks of that car have never left my mind. I mentioned that I've driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a long time. I still like them a lot, especially my dad's, which is the Limited model, and tricked out with everything including DVD, 3x LCDs, and GPS. A lot of my friends think I should get a Jeep, or get my dad to give his to me. When I drove my pals to the Acura dealership and showed the TL, they said it was OK (based on looks). I think it has some potential though.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by dnd2984
Whats up david... Last year for my sevententh b-day my parents got me a TL its a great car. I looked at the IS300, 325i and Maxima. I wasnt really into acura at that time but when I looked at it I thought it was perfect. Insurance is gonna be a ass....
It don't matter mommy and daddy are paying
Old 02-10-2002, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Your 16 and you want a TL. Well I was 17 and I got my 2001 TL. I when threw the same thing as you, but with a little smaller buget. Well I'll tell you what I learned.

a) A TL is a nice big sedan, with some power on the side. It is not a race car but it is fun.

b) I'm the only one who has a TL, around my friends (preludes. IS300s, civics, accords, bmws) Rarely do I see a youngen in a TL.

c) Be ready to hunt for products, because there is little aftermarket support.

d) Think about it. Do you want to go fast or be in style. If fast look for another car(wrx, type-r) if style a TL is a good choice.

Buy the car because you love it. Don't buy it and regret the purchase. Saying, "Man I could of had that car over there."

When I just got the car people were like "wow", but also "why did you get an old man's car." My love for my TL never fell, especially after I slapped on a body kit and smoke a pretty IS300.

peace and good hunting
Old 02-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

I'm 19 -- 5'11" -- my hair sometimes brushes the front headliner of the sunroof but thats only when I do the spikey/messy hair thing :p

So I think 6 foot 6'1" -- is about max... try the car out first is the best i can say. Unfortunately the seat doesn't seem to go real low -- (my TBirds did and it felt like sitting in a cockpit which I loved)

The BMW is a very small car --- the TL is considered Mid-Size, I believe, (at smalles - compact.) The Bimmer is SUBcompact last I knew.

Other alternatives:

New Infiniti I30t
Maxima
Altima SE 3.5

Year old, last gen ES300
Lincoln LS8 -- I sat in one of these the other day -- loved it -- back to the whole cockpit thing... the materials actually felt good too --- dunno how it drove though.
how about a slightly used Lex RX300 (since u mentioned a Jeep)

Last gen Escalade... they're still big pimpin' and can be had for around 30k with low miles

2000 & up Audi A6 with the 4.2L V8
or the 2.7Turbo

'nother car u can get gooood deals on are Mazda Millenias (get the Supercharged "S") they are roomy & have a coupe feel -- I think they're also one of the last built in japan cars which means good sheit...

ACTUALLY -- you should be able to find a 2000 or 2001 low mileage LEX GS300... get that

Don't get me wrong -- I love my TL -- but if I had 32k to spend I'm not sure I would have gotten it... I paid $19500 for mine so ... that was the max I could spend -- I'm 19 and had to pay for it myself, my insurance, gas, etc....
Old 02-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Dimsumo
Buy the car because you love it. Don't buy it and regret the purchase. Saying, "Man I could of had that car over there."
No ones said that to me lol

I seem to see older guys, and, women (respectively) driving them... but i don't see many as it is....

i've gotten lots of looks from kids -- many of em love it...

also check my sig for two quotes, one was today leaving work lol

the other one (BJ's...) the guy was about 35-40 and driving a nice 4th Gen Maxima

anyway -- to sum up -- if I had 32k at my disposal... I think the TL would be third...

1. Low mileage year old Lexus GS300 (I'd a trryyyyyed to find a GS400 even if 99 for the V8, but doubt it)

2. Audi A6 - either with the V8 or biTurbo 2.7L V6 - in Quattro form.

3. A-TL
Old 02-10-2002, 12:22 AM

Exactly, I don't want a race car, but a car that is pretty zippy and fun. I don't plan to trick the car up to the likes of those in "Fast and Furious" but I think a body kit, even if there is little choice, is nessesary to make it unique and give more style. I've test driven the WRX, and even though it was fast (after a long turbo lag), the interior sucked and I was in a seat with my knees touching the damn steering wheel.

The only car I will regret getting if I got the Acura is the Honda S2000. I've loved the car so much for such a long time, and the fact that I COULD "have" gotten it, hurts even more. From what I've heard, the IS300 is really all looks, and nothing else more.

Tommy, I'll have to look into those other cars you mentioned. Nice quotes though...what did you put on your car so far?
Old 02-10-2002, 06:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed at how many teenagers on this board have parents rich enough to buy them a TL AND pay the insurance on it. Just an observation. Any case, as Daverman said, either the TL-P or the TL-S fit your parameters perfectly. The insurance cost to your parents is not much different for the two. For me, the difference was about $5, though for you, it might be different. As for "old farts" driving the TL...the car is actually marketed to people like me, a 33 y/o professional, looking for their first "luxury" car, and that's mostly who I see driving it. I do not regret buying this car for one second, and you won't regret having it for one second.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Im 16 w/ a CL Type S and I really love my car. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a car in te 32-35k range. The only thing you might want to be careful of is jealous kids. You said that there are quite a few nice cars in your school's lot, so you will probably be okay. In my school, the cars are almost all peices of pure ****, and I mean BIGTIME!!!:wow: So I end up parking my car in the teachers lot sometimes. SHHHHHH, don't tell anybody. :p
Old 02-10-2002, 04:29 PM

Yea, there are a bunch of nice looking cars like Audi's, new Mustangs, BMWs, and really crappy cars too! I don't really think I'll have a problem except trying to get an actual spot. Our school has strict policies on parking spots and it's hard to get one w/o sharing one. Our school's security is really high, ever since the county installed a buttload of security camera domes and outdoor lot cams. They see which underclassmen sneak off to lunch offcampus. Also helps w/ car security. That's really dumb, only seniors allowed to eat offcampus!
Old 02-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of my cousins and friends said my TL-S has more headroom than the '00 TL I used to drive. I remember it was the first thing they complained about when they got into the car, so I told them to "shut the HELL up or get out of my car" :p
Old 02-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Firstly, you're cousin could not have a 2001 TL-s as they only started maling the S for the 2002 year.

Also, for a 17 year old to have a TL is rediculous. Get yourself a Civic or something, as no and I repeat no 17 yearold should have an expensive, powerful car. What happens is they do not appreciate what mommy and daddy bought them, and like the immature fools they are, they get in a serious accident, quite possibly ruining their lives. I remember being 17, and as a male you cannot help but drive like an idiot, its just in you. The only way to avoid this problem is maturity, and buying you're own car when you can afford it and driving you're parents car when its availiable.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:06 PM

My cousin does have a TL-S, and bought it in the past year.
I guess all the other 17 year olds on this board w/ a TL (the number higher than I imagined) MUST be very immature and accident prone. I guess I'm not like you when you were 17. I don't drive like an idiot. I know my responsibility as a driver and keeping my license. I guess a Civic is for the idiots, right?

-David
Old 02-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by BLEXV6
Firstly, you're cousin could not have a 2001 TL-s as they only started maling the S for the 2002 year.

Also, for a 17 year old to have a TL is rediculous. Get yourself a Civic or something, as no and I repeat no 17 yearold should have an expensive, powerful car. What happens is they do not appreciate what mommy and daddy bought them, and like the immature fools they are, they get in a serious accident, quite possibly ruining their lives. I remember being 17, and as a male you cannot help but drive like an idiot, its just in you. The only way to avoid this problem is maturity, and buying you're own car when you can afford it and driving you're parents car when its availiable.
hater
Old 02-10-2002, 05:30 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Deng... Got some rich-ess kids in here...
Old 02-10-2002, 05:52 PM
5th Gear

Here's one for you!

If you're lookin' here's a sweet one for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...256244&r=0&t=0

http://home.attbi.com/~sharpepayne/tl/index.html
Old 02-10-2002, 09:51 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my TypeS for graduation, and I love it. I am 6'00" and around 200lbs and I have plenty of room. Make sure to get a CAI, lexol and zaino and it will be amazing.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Correct.........BLEXV6 is a hater

Leave the boy alone. He's asking for some help in choosing a car we give him some advice, and YOU(BLEXV6) proclaim 17 year old boys shouldn’t have TLs. Yeah, I agree some teenagers are dumb a$$, but he is entitle to do what he wants. If his parents want to buy him a very nice car, so be it. I was 16 and got my TL, and I worked my buttock off for it.
We all here love are TLs and we either got them the "easy" way or the "hard" way. I don't care if your 16, 18, or 50. You are driving a TL, I say cool. There is no need to discriminate. I thought we as a whole saw through the physical looks of a driver to the person behind the wheel.

Peace
Old 02-11-2002, 01:09 AM

damn straight, well said!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:25 AM
Advanced

well.. personally.. i would wait for the evo to hit the states otherwise id look at the wrx.. i think that you might enjoy driving a manual instead ... its always more fun than an automatic ... i kinda regret not getting a manual car.. i drive a type S right now.. and dont get me wrong.. i love the car.. but maybe a youger mans car might be a little better... oh .. and the IS 300 .. i dont think its that powerful.. i drove one the other day.. manual that is .. and it doesnt push nearly as well as the type S...

oh and btw.. im a junior in college... a young one aswell
Old 02-11-2002, 04:15 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
damn we got 15's 16's and 17's year old kids with TL's ...i though i was young when i got the TL.....im 18 now and i have been waiting for 2 years and finally got the TL-S:p
Old 02-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by BLEXV6

While i can see getting pi55y about the subject, hell knows i have... I mean I've had to pay for any car I've owned since I was 16 or not drive.

I do disagree (partly) with your statement about teenagers being idiot drivers. There are some good teenage drivers, whether you want to admit it or not. I had a powerful car when I was 17, however, i bought it myself -- so I don't know if that led to more appreciation for it. (94 TBird LX V8) When I was 16, I had a 95 Escort Station wagon :p to use for about 7 months until I ended up buying the TBird, but I had to pay my grandparents for 3 or 4 months of car pmts. to use it.

Anyhow, while I partially agree that if mommy and daddy are buying, it should be slow & sensible :p

lol if ur buying, get what ya want
Old 02-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by nicktung

oh and btw.. im a junior in college... a young one aswell
lol we got lots of young'n nOObies :p

Sup Nick, how r things in Roch, getting as much snow as us in BuffaLo?
Old 02-11-2002, 11:11 AM
Banned

I'm a 27 yr old and would like to know if your parents are willing to adopt me?
Old 02-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

My advice.

Have your parents put $25g in the bank for ya.
Take $5g and buy a car like an accord or maxima.
After you smash that sucker a few times (cause
you probably will) then calmed down as a driver
take that $25g you saved and buy a nice car.

Advice from experience. Besides at your age, you'll
have people f*ck with your car just because its
so nice for your age. Not worth it.

And having that money to buy a brand new car
in college is worth so much more.