TL sub replacement -- need a partner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL sub replacement -- need a partner

I need a partner in crime to do this mod...to save some $$$.
I'm planning to upgrade my stock TL sub with the Kicker RMB8 like Dr. Cookie....(for more info, do a search on this thread)

Anyways, they sell these in pair..of course, we only need one. So I'm trying to find another person to slit it with. Best price I've found is $129 plus shipping...so around $80 shipped to your door (one speaker). If you're interested, please let me know.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

okay, here is the thread from Dr. Cookie about the sub mod. Read it and if u want to do it, let me know.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=37582
Old 07-22-2002, 03:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sup. I got a '03 TL-S will that sub fit? Also is the kicker sub louder than the stock bese sub?
Old 07-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Snapple
Sup. I got a '03 TL-S will that sub fit? Also is the kicker sub louder than the stock bese sub?
I haven't done it..but base on Dr.Cookie,it is supposed to be much tighter bass and stronger than stock...(uh, actually I think anything is better than that stupid stock sub). You can try to email/PM DrCookie directly for a first hand feedback. I talked to him awhile back and it is very convincing...and it's cheap..much cheaper than getting a real sub in the box w/ a huge amp to drive it ($600 plus for a good one)...so I am going for it.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey folks,

This topic is better discussed in Audio & Electronics section but I will post it here anyway.

The Kicker RMB8 is louder than the p.o crap stock sub BUT it will no be any louder that a sub in a sealed box.

This mod will give you better bass but it will not shake your real view mirror. If you listen to heavy metal or rap music, don't do it.
If you want heavy or loud bass, don't do it either. The sub will easily hit the bottom.

If you need a tigther bass compare to the stock sub. You might like this mod.

I listen to slow rock and some pop music and so far it has been working great.

I don't think they change the sub between 02 and 03 model and with the 1/2" spacer, you should get sub fit in the 9" hole.

One advice if you go this route... seal up the trunk. There are two holes underneath the center break light. You will get more bass if you seal them up.

Cheers !!!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Racer

Drcookie, this link above does not work. May I get a correct link if you have one to share? Thanks man..
Old 02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry man, I can't find the link anymore since they merged and changed the forum to the new format. Is there anything you are researching for ?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by drcookie
Sorry man, I can't find the link anymore since they merged and changed the forum to the new format. Is there anything you are researching for ?

Yea, I like to soon replace my Bose subwoofer. I was told there was a 8" kicker that would work, but what are the mods to get it to work and sound nice. I know or I read that the Bose amp for it's sub is a POS and would not even push a Pyramid 6x9 . SO if you got any info on this mod, please let me know? Thanks man..
Old 02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shift_it
Yea, I like to soon replace my Bose subwoofer. I was told there was a 8" kicker that would work, but what are the mods to get it to work and sound nice. I know or I read that the Bose amp for it's sub is a POS and would not even push a Pyramid 6x9 . SO if you got any info on this mod, please let me know? Thanks man..
Here are some installation pictures that I still have on the server:

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-tls/subs/amp-1.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-tls/subs/amp-2.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t.../grommet-1.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t.../grommet-2.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t.../grommet-3.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t.../install-1.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t.../install-2.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-tls/subs/spacer.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t...s/spacer-2.jpg

http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-t...pk-wiring1.bmp (huge)

The amp I used to drive the sub is Rockford Fosgate 200m. If you could find something more powerful, go for it. If you remove the back seat and locate the stock amp, you will find out why it cannot driver any after market sub.

The space is 1/2" thick. You may need to shave the cover if you are going for a thicker spacer.

Since this is a free-air sub setup, you also need to seal up the trunk as best as you can to get cleaner and stronger bass.

NOTE:
Don't expect to have this sub to hit as hard as a sub in a sealed box. This is just an experiment that I was playing with and it turned out OK.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_it
Simply hooking up a better amp to the oem sub makes a huge difference
Old 02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is our stock bose 8 inch woofer worth putting into another car? I have no idea of how it looks, is it a paper cone or poly material, and what are the stats? Impedance, Peak Watts and RMS Watts? If so, I might be interested in buying your sub after yrou done with your install.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Racer

Ok here is a quick question. Any of use use a RCA converter? Run it from the OEM sub wires and hook up a AMP and run a new sub in the BOSE 8" place. Is this a good idea? Thanks again
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by drcookie
Hey folks,

This topic is better discussed in Audio & Electronics section but I will post it here anyway.

The Kicker RMB8 is louder than the p.o crap stock sub BUT it will no be any louder that a sub in a sealed box.

This mod will give you better bass but it will not shake your real view mirror. If you listen to heavy metal or rap music, don't do it.
If you want heavy or loud bass, don't do it either. The sub will easily hit the bottom.

Cheers !!!

Hey just wondering.. why should we not do this mod. thats all listen to.. Hip Hop, RAp, Trance, Drum and BAss... You say "DO NOT DO IT" why.// can you be more specific? Does something hit in the rear and sound bad? i know its still powered by stock system. So not alot of power..
Old 02-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Hey just wondering.. why should we not do this mod. thats all listen to.. Hip Hop, RAp, Trance, Drum and BAss... You say "DO NOT DO IT" why.// can you be more specific? Does something hit in the rear and sound bad? i know its still powered by stock system. So not alot of power..
Hes baisicly saying save your time and money and get a sealed box and sub. no replacement that will fit in the stock location will sound like a good sub and box.
if you feel like spending the time and money go ahead and do this mod, it will be louder than the stock set up. just adding a better amp to the stock sub helps, but none will be like a 12" sub in a seald box with 600 watts going to it for sound.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thansk fsttyms1 for clarification.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I know I'm bringing back this topic up from the grave, but is the installation of the kicker RMB8 sub easy?

And also, should I get an amp like Drcookie did, how much better will it sound with the kicker? Will the installing this be easy-normal for a person who has never touched sound systems and electrical wiring before?

thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 AM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
stock sub

i think you should just keep the stock sub because they do provide a decent amount of base. keep it if you have a stock head unit but if you have an aftermarket, you will definately need a sound system because they sound like shit. but even with subs, the clarity will not sound as good as the stock system. I ran an in dash dvd player to a jl system, they hit hard but to me, it doesn't feel as nice as stock sound systems. Hope this helps you with your decision.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Meridian

Yeah, thats true.

Is doing this:

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Simply hooking up a better amp to the oem sub makes a huge difference
A better idea?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Let us know what you do, i've been mulling over the idea of either replacing the stock sub or the amp too. I want a bit more bass, but I've almost always got my trunk full so I don't have space for a sub + box
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Meridian

I just want something that sounds better than stock (whether it'll be replacing the amp and/or the sub), I dont really need anything that hits too hard.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
Yeah, thats true.

Is doing this:

A better idea?
When running it hooked up that way i liked the difference. If i didnt i wouldnt have posted it. I dont know what your expecting from though. If you hope it will shake and rattle windows think again, but you will get better bass and better control of it using a aftermarket amp
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Banned

volly, i know a guy across my street, owns a car audio shop, i was gonna buy a 1 15inch kicker solobarric off him for 250 soon, 50 bucks for a custom install with wood, 100 dollars for fiberglass, he does some decent stuff, they work on their cars all the time across the street...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Meridian

Originally Posted by PenancE
volly, i know a guy across my street, owns a car audio shop, i was gonna buy a 1 15inch kicker solobarric off him for 250 soon, 50 bucks for a custom install with wood, 100 dollars for fiberglass, he does some decent stuff, they work on their cars all the time across the street...
Nice! Would he be able to to install this amp (something close to this, refer to drcookie's post with the pics) and the 8" kicker sub for me? I am keeping the stock H.U.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice! Would he be able to to install this amp (something close to this, refer to drcookie's post with the pics) and the 8" kicker sub for me? I am keeping the stock H.U.
You wont get much more sound out of the RMB8. Its a small sub and its free air. And it has its limitations. Your best bet if your looking for more bass would be a small sealed 10" with inclosure and more powerfull amp
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok guys,
my sub was acting so weird. One time it works one time does not. When it works the sound is so werd. It is not the same as before. All of that started when I made the DVD-A.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Advanced

not to get off topic, but would it be possible to find a way to install a 10" sub in the stock location? Maybe build a small box that hangs down under the sub, but still doesn't take up too much space in the trunk? I haven't actually looked in my trunk to see if there's enough space, has anybody tried this or even thought about it? the sub would probably be too heavy, but I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Meridian

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You wont get much more sound out of the RMB8. Its a small sub and its free air. And it has its limitations. Your best bet if your looking for more bass would be a small sealed 10" with inclosure and more powerfull amp
Thanks for ur fsttyms1, you've been great help! So Yeah, I think i'm just gonna go with installing just the amp them I guess, I love my stock H.U 6-CD changer to death.

What kinda amp would you recommend? Should I get a small one like drcookie has?

link me up some examples.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dunlax072
not to get off topic, but would it be possible to find a way to install a 10" sub in the stock location? Maybe build a small box that hangs down under the sub, but still doesn't take up too much space in the trunk? I haven't actually looked in my trunk to see if there's enough space, has anybody tried this or even thought about it? the sub would probably be too heavy, but I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.
if you look in your trunk, right under the spot for the stock sub is the torsion bars that hold the trunk lid up when open it, so there really isnt any room to work with under there
Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dunlax072
Any thing is possible. But the short answer is no. The trunk lid torsion bars are in the way
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for ur fsttyms1, you've been great help! So Yeah, I think i'm just gonna go with installing just the amp them I guess, I love my stock H.U 6-CD changer to death.

What kinda amp would you recommend? Should I get a small one like drcookie has?

link me up some examples.

Thanks!
For what powering the stock sub? it doesnt have to be big. The only reaso i did that at first was because i was bored and had one laying around. It was about 300 watt max. I may find a decent one that could down the road power a sub and box. (like doing a custom one in the drivers side rear corner where the cd changer went)
Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Meridian

Yes, for powering the stock sub. You can definetely hear a slight different when you replaced ur stock amp right?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I heard a difference. i noticed it the most with a aftermarket deck. Like i said i dont know what your looking for in sound or hope to be able to get out of it. Witha different amp setup i was able to tune the freq that i wanted it to play so it was different than teh BLOZ setup
Old 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Meridian

I dont know anything when it comes to sound systems, all I know is that I always crank up the bass and the treble to a mid level, so I'm not expecting too much out of it, for an amp under $100 that I can hear a difference with, i'd be more than happy. what amp should I start with?