TL-S vs Maxima AE(SE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 12:25 AM

Question TL-S vs Maxima AE(SE)

How would a TL-S compare to a maxima AE( or 2000 SE).. as far as handling/performance etc?

Old 03-29-2001, 01:24 PM

outperform in every possible category: speed, handling, luxury features. 2000 Maxima in comparison to the TL-S in an ugly, overpriced piece of shit. Otherwise it's Ok. LOL.

Old 03-29-2001, 07:44 PM

Bring it on. My 2000 SE against your 2001 overpriced, overweight Accord, let's go!

Bert, 2000 Maxima SE manual, Icelandic Perl.
Montreal, Canada

Old 03-29-2001, 07:53 PM

Question

Originally posted by XDriver:
outperform in every possible category: speed, handling, luxury features. 2000 Maxima in comparison to the TL-S in an ugly, overpriced piece of shit. Otherwise it's Ok. LOL.
what do u drive?

Old 03-29-2001, 08:05 PM

Hmmm.... I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a Maxima SE anyday. the person who said that the Max is an ugly piece of shi7, doesnt know shi7 about cars. Im trying not to flame, but people with lack of knowledge shouldnt make stupid statements. I havent seen any publication name the TL's engine as "possibly one of the best V6's ever". I havent seen the TL's engine ever get a Consumer Reports #1 in reliability yet. So who has the Piece of Shi7. As for ugly, the TL is fricken boring as hell.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:07 PM

Outperforms the max in everythhing hmmm. Except in build quality.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by max2kgle526:
Hmmm.... I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a Maxima SE anyday. the person who said that the Max is an ugly piece of shi7, doesnt know shi7 about cars. Im trying not to flame, but people with lack of knowledge shouldnt make stupid statements. I havent seen any publication name the TL's engine as "possibly one of the best V6's ever". I havent seen the TL's engine ever get a Consumer Reports #1 in reliability yet. So who has the Piece of Shi7. As for ugly, the TL is fricken boring as hell.
TL is by far no piece of Shit

OK, Im sorry I lost it. The TL is by far no piece of shi7. But come on, the maxima is better in quality and reliability, meaning it is NOT a piece of shi7. It isnt VERY boring but could use some help.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally posted by Bert-Max:
Bring it on. My 2000 SE against your 2001 overpriced, overweight Accord, let's go!
The Nissan Maxima is not in the same league as the Acura TL, the Infinity I30t is !!
Old 03-29-2001, 08:32 PM

In terms of performance, it's close. You -S guys will take an automatic Maxima, but against a manual it's a race.

The only diff between the Maxima and the I30 is crap they put in the car. The engine and drivetrain is the same. You H and A guys have different motors but the same stuff inside.

If any of you are in my area, let's settle this once and for all.

Bert, 2000 Maxima SE manual, Icelandic Perl.
Montreal, Canada

Originally posted by Edward'TLS:
The Nissan Maxima is not in the same league as the Acura TL, the Infinity I30t is !!

Old 03-29-2001, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my 97 Maxima SE and bought 01 TL. I test drove the 01 Maxima SE plenty of times b4 I made my decision. The Max does a lot of
things good but TL just seems to do things better, handling performance just better. The TL is the car Max should be when it grows
up.
Old 03-30-2001, 01:07 AM
Ain't No Other...

Dude the regular TL's can whoop the maxima se (auto), and be a good race with the manual maxima se, the TL-S will whoop all the maxima's in every category except the handling department...maxima se has one of the most stiff stock suspension for a four door sedan...

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL, 17x7.5 ATP wheels with Pirelli 215/50/17 P7000SS, H&R OE springs, OEM spoiler, K&N filter, Tint all Around. Inspire Foglight Switch, PIAA 1700X fogs, Polarg M-12 corners.
Old 03-30-2001, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by SinnedTL:
Dude the regular TL's can whoop the maxima se (auto), and be a good race with the manual maxima se, the TL-S will whoop all the maxima's in every category except the handling department...maxima se has one of the most stiff stock suspension for a four door sedan...

wow guy... im sure that means that u never actually went up against a maxima then... hehe a regular TL whooping a max... uh how bout no scott... i dunno where u got ur data from but im sure wherever that was doesnt see a lot of light... The TL is a nice car.. dont get me wrong... i have a few friends with it... but being too close to the boring side of the meter i did not really pay attention to it... the interior is plain the exterior is plain... there is nothing there... Who remembers the story about the Max and CL race where the CL burned his tranny? ill try to find the link... but anywho The Maxima is not a slow as u think...

Old 03-30-2001, 07:48 AM
Racer

Yea, pretty much any manual Maxima from 1992-current with a manual tranny will burn a TL....and probably the TL-S, unless Acura decides to go to a manual tranny. The maxima definatly out handles with TL, mainly bc of the performance oriented 17" wheel/tire package you can get. Until someone put the TL-S through a skidpad, I will maintain that the Maxima SE is a superior handler. I own a TL, mainly bc the Maxima is a Nissan, and I already have a 1992 Maxima that forces me to sit with Kia owners if I go for a service at the dealer. Also, the I30 was somewhat overpriced for the touring model. However both of the Nissans are roomier inside, mainly owing to the fact that they use macpherson's up front and not double wishbones. Now if Infiniti would mate a manual to the I30t, then that would rape a TL.

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 03-30-2001, 08:12 AM

An auto Max has no chance. A manual Max is a race.

Your TL-S weighs in @ over 3500 lbs, my Max is a svelt 3200 lbs.

Oh, it's not a four door sedan... it's a 4 door sports car.

People buy Acuras for thier families, Maximas for themselves.

But this all comes down to one thing... Let's get it on and end this argument once and for all.

Originally posted by SinnedTL:

Old 03-30-2001, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My "ugly" 02 TL-S
Factory body kit and spoiler
Comptech Springs
Comptech Headers
Comptech Exhaust

Bring on the Maximas

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 03-30-2001, 09:06 AM

Ok. Ok. Had no Idea what was happening here while I was gone. If I have offened anyone - that was not the point of my reply, so please don't take it personal. I myself had a 4th gen Max - so take it easy (now I drive a Legend). As for looks - until Nissan will not change 5th gen tails - I'll consider this car ugly - but it's only my opinion - everybody is entitled to their own. To me those tail light ruin the look of the car. And I love TL looks even though I'll admit they are conservative. As for speed - I did not get a chance to race my friend's TL-S yet,(neither did he - patiently waiting for that 1000 miles mark) but I assure you - the time will come and we will see what is faster TL-S or 2000 SE 5-Speed. I am pretty sure Max will not stand against the TL-S' 3rd gear, but I could be wrong - we will see. As far as luxury features - I think you will all agree Max is not in any position to compete in that category. As far as handling, even though 5th gen Max (stock) handles better than 4th gen (which in stock feels like a Buick) TL-S with it's stiff double-wishbone suspension will outhandle it in my opinion. TL-S in handling comes close to Bimmer with sport package which the Max is far from. As far as reliability - according to the reports that I read and real life experience - Hondas are as reliable as they come. My '93 Legend with 140,000 miles on it - does not give me any problems - which I can not say for a lot fresher Max that I owned previously. Once again, listed above is my opinion. I'm not here to convince or argue with anybody - just how I feel and think. As far as raicing goes, as soon as I get my hands on my own TL-S (not too long from now, I hope) we will set one up. Sorry, for the long post guys.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:14 PM

Wink

#'s on Paper mean nothing. Run it on a track, run it on the street.
TL Owners who lack knowledge about their opponent, usually lose to their opponents.
I've had the privelege to beat a 2001 TL w/ 5 speed auto. I've had a chance to tango w/ a 2001 CL as well, and it was close but I got him on the top end. The CL-S, I tried to run against him, but always waved me past. I did manage to catch him on the highway, and the top end on my car edged out the CL-S' Considering my car has mods, and his was stock, I have to admit that the car is quick. Handling, again the CL or TL or -S will lose to a Maxima carving canyons.
Looks ? The Acura looks Generic with the other imports, while the Maxima has substance. I guess it depends on your preferences, but as the commercials go.....Car Like It ? None.

-Peace

Old 03-30-2001, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

max2kgle526:

In the future I suggest you keep you mouth closed and let everyone think you're an idiot versus proving them right by posting such drivel. I'll address the most obvious bull$hit:

Consumer Reports does not have a category called "#1 engine in reliability", so I don't think your Maxima, let alone any car, has ever earned this honor.

I've seen several publications say "this may be the best xxx engine" whether they're testing econoboxes or luxury cars. It would seem that Nissan's marketing department, however, has done a good job in getting that message to stick in your brain. Kudos to them.

Bert-Max:

If you think 3200 pounds is svelte then you're dreaming. Neither of these cars are, or ever will be, race cars. (Reference my friend Josh's timeslips for his 2000 Maxima AE 5-speed: http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/
) Enter Nissan marketing once again... Ditto for "four door sports car". Tell me... were it not for advertisements would you know ANYTHING about the car?

"People buy Acuras for thier families, Maximas for themselves." I'm 23, have no children, and own a TL. Explain, please.

Finally, yo_its_ok:

I'm glad their commercials have so deeply impacted your life as it has that of your compadres.

Cars like it? You know.. you're right. I can't think ONE serious sports sedan with a solid rear axle.
------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by RAdams on March 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-30-2001, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Maxima reliability?

Maybe the owner of this comment should visit Edmund's Townhall for some of the Nissan owner's comments about "maxima reliability!"

Build Quality? My girlfriend has a '98 Maxima which I drive all the time (GXE .. and don't tell me they build the SE or GLE tighter .. cuz i'll call you out in a second) and it rattles, creaks, vibrates -- you name it. I can't speak for the handling, since it is a GLE, but the engine is quick -- it's an auto, and I do agree that manny maxi pads are quicker yet. But I'm sorry, in a true race -- not this bullshi7 "oh, we were at 20 mph and we decided to punch it and race.." the heck w/ all that crap -- that's not a true drag race. And you have to have an experienced driver behind the wheel of a manual trans!! How many people think just any joe shmoe can get in a manual and just shift like Andretti??? ***** pleezz..

Oh, and the maxima is played out like the Taurus -- they're a dime a dozen out on the road -- well, at least the pre-2000 models -- those new ones ARE ugly -- eeek. I've driven my buddies leased '98 SE back in '99 and I recall all the cheesy plastic they threw all over that dash -- and the sticker was 29K!!! What a rip. And how many I30's does ANYONE SEE ON THE ROAD?? Pleeez.. between the TL and the ES300, ain't no one seriously gunna consider the Infiniti line -- they need to get their act together.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-30-2001, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

One more quote to add, from edmund.com, on the Maxima's styling. It pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

"Let's start with a discussion of the controversial. Wheel arches ripped off from Audi. A gaping, slat-toothed grille that would look right at home on a Buick Regal. Teardrop taillights with smoked lens surrounds (SE only) that appear out of place in a sea of body-color plastic and metal."

Distinctive, sure. Attractive? Next, please.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 03-30-2001, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Hmmm...

Thanks for the info RA..

looks like it's runnin' the 1/4 in about 15.5 to 15.6. CL-S owners are consistently running stock CL-S's at 14.9 - 15.1. The driver of the Max AE had a GOOD reaction time -- below 0.6 is fairly good, but I'm sure one of you Maxima rodders are gunna tell me you consistenly get 0.4 -> 0.5 right?

3200 lbs vs. 3500 lbs ---> that should tell you something about the build quality of these two cars -- Maxima vs. TL-S. The fact that a TL-S in auto @ 3500 lbs can outrun a 5-speed Max @ 3200 pounds should tell you something. I guess you're right RA, it just goes to show you what the financially unstable Nissan corporation can do to its enthusiasts in their last ditch effort to promote their "super" cars.

Don't get me wrong -- the Maxima is a good value over the zest-less Camry and over all mid-range domestics, but it's in a different league as the TL-S. The Max is a good value when I get cloth seats, no ABS, no options -- so I can get it for about 24K. Now that's value!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-30-2001, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

And who are these ignorant people still calling the TL-S an Accord -- the I30 a Maxima, and the ES300 a Camry --> um, yeah, they're based off the same platform -- but since when does "same platform" mean same car?

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-30-2001, 03:31 PM

Before I bought my TL-S (last week) I seriously considered both the Saab 9-5 SE and the Maxima SE- Anniversary as potentials...the Saab because I was driving a 900 ( and would get a better trade if I stayed with the marque) and the Max because I thought it would be good value...after driving the TL-S, however, I knew it was the only choice FOR ME due to its good value (price of $31k was the same as the Max and $78 grand less than the 9-5 SE)and outstanding ride/handling. The Max definately felt more "plasticky" to me in the test drive. And, of course, the final nail in the Max's coffin was those butt-ugly tail lights.

Old 03-30-2001, 03:40 PM

What does weight have to do with build quality? Is an NSX worse because it only weighs 3100 lbs?

The challenge still goes out, let's settle this once and for all... run what you brung!

Originally posted by PeterUbers:
Hmmm...

3200 lbs vs. 3500 lbs ---> that should tell you something about the build quality of these two cars -- Maxima vs. TL-S. The fact that a TL-S in auto @ 3500 lbs can outrun a 5-speed Max @ 3200 pounds should tell you something.

Old 03-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Racer

Would you guys carry an intelligent conversasion?
Bert, exterior styling is 100% personal opinion. The fact that I like the exterior styling of Maxima doesn't make me a car person. I think PT Cruiser, TT roadster, Z3 and Aztec are the ugliest cars ever produced, but plenty of people would disagree with me.
You may want to refrain from personal attacks based on personal opinions. It would only make you look foolish.
This is, after all a TL-S board. As a visitor, you may want to behave well and express your opinion with strong support.
That, however, will never include styling. You have no ground on attacking anyone's styling preference.

Anyway, Maxima is a very good car. It's very similar to accord or TL. Even though TL doesn't look like accord, it still shares the same platform and tons of parts. There is obviously no comparison in luxury items. We can all agree on that. And that plus the warranty give you the price difference.

Styling......in my personal opinion, both cars look good. There is nothing special. They are both good and boring. TL with a little classier look has my pick, but both are trying to be slightly aggressive while being mostly conservative.

As far as the performance, it's also a close race. While neither TL nor Maxima is a perfect handling machine, TL-S does feel much better than Maxima SE in that catagory. It doesn't blow Maxima away by any means.
As far as straightline performance, TL-S and Maxima SE is a close race with reasonably skilled drivers. I haven't done head to head race yet. I can't call a winner in that catagory. I have a feeling that TL-S would have a slight edge there. There is just no point comparing handling. Neither car deserve much of an attention in this area.
With all the discounts Maxima offers, it's a great deal if you don't have any need for the extra luxury items offered by TL and TL-S.
If I didn't need some of the stuff on TL, I may go for Maxima or Solara with stick.
The money I save can go toward my modena fund.
Anyway, by buying TL-S, I'm already saving a lot of money.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by RAdams:
max2kgle526:

In the future I suggest you keep you mouth closed and let everyone think you're an idiot versus proving them right by posting such drivel. I'll address the most obvious bull$hit:

Consumer Reports does not have a category called "#1 engine in reliability", so I don't think your Maxima, let alone any car, has ever earned this honor.

I've seen several publications say "this may be the best xxx engine" whether they're testing econoboxes or luxury cars. It would seem that Nissan's marketing department, however, has done a good job in getting that message to stick in your brain. Kudos to them.

Bert-Max:

If you think 3200 pounds is svelte then you're dreaming. Neither of these cars are, or ever will be, race cars. (Reference my friend Josh's timeslips for his 2000 Maxima AE 5-speed: http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/
) Enter Nissan marketing once again... Ditto for "four door sports car". Tell me... were it not for advertisements would you know ANYTHING about the car?

"People buy Acuras for thier families, Maximas for themselves." I'm 23, have no children, and own a TL. Explain, please.

Finally, yo_its_ok:

I'm glad their commercials have so deeply impacted your life as it has that of your compadres.

Cars like it? You know.. you're right. I can't think ONE serious sports sedan with a solid rear axle.

OK, I Consumer Reports has always had a reliability record, Every Fricken Year! Where the hell have you been? And the Maxima has been at the top of that list countless times my friend. If I wouldnt have thrown it out, I would have scanned that and shoved it in your face. OK, you say that the "Best Engine" thing has been thrown around ridiculously on so many cars. How come the Acura TL has yet to receive this award?

------------------
2K Maxima GLE

Old 03-30-2001, 08:17 PM

Styling is 100% personal and if you check back I slam my own car. The back end of the Max is butt ugly, fortunately only you guys see it! :-) :-) :-) ( the PT is uglier, the TT much nicer and the Z3 is a rip of the Miata) but like you say, it's personal and for you, you are right.

Certain quotes on this board have gone overboard and have been appologized for here and on the Maxima board. http://<a href="http://www.maxima.or...adid=30883</a>

I was on the edge of getting a 1999/2000 TL, the one thing that flipped me was the stick, that made it a no contest. I actually never drove a Maxima before buying it. I drove a TL and decided that it had to be a manual and I ain't drivin' a 165 HP 4X4.

But this all comes down to the first question on this board... "How would a TL-S compare to a maxima AE( or 2000 SE).. as far as handling/performance etc?" The only way to answer this is to get out and burn craploads of gas and have a blast while doing it.

I have said it before and will say it again, an auto Max has no chance against a -S. A manual Max is a race, you in the area?

Originally posted by FlyingPig:
Would you guys carry an intelligent conversasion?
Bert, exterior styling is 100% personal opinion. The fact that I like the exterior styling of Maxima doesn't make me a car person. I think PT Cruiser, TT roadster, Z3 and Aztec are the ugliest cars ever produced, but plenty of people would disagree with me.
You may want to refrain from personal attacks based on personal opinions. It would only make you look foolish.
This is, after all a TL-S board. As a visitor, you may want to behave well and express your opinion with strong support.
That, however, will never include styling. You have no ground on attacking anyone's styling preference.

Anyway, Maxima is a very good car. It's very similar to accord or TL. Even though TL doesn't look like accord, it still shares the same platform and tons of parts. There is obviously no comparison in luxury items. We can all agree on that. And that plus the warranty give you the price difference.

Styling......in my personal opinion, both cars look good. There is nothing special. They are both good and boring. TL with a little classier look has my pick, but both are trying to be slightly aggressive while being mostly conservative.

As far as the performance, it's also a close race. While neither TL nor Maxima is a perfect handling machine, TL-S does feel much better than Maxima SE in that catagory. It doesn't blow Maxima away by any means.
As far as straightline performance, TL-S and Maxima SE is a close race with reasonably skilled drivers. I haven't done head to head race yet. I can't call a winner in that catagory. I have a feeling that TL-S would have a slight edge there. There is just no point comparing handling. Neither car deserve much of an attention in this area.
With all the discounts Maxima offers, it's a great deal if you don't have any need for the extra luxury items offered by TL and TL-S.
If I didn't need some of the stuff on TL, I may go for Maxima or Solara with stick.
The money I save can go toward my modena fund.
Anyway, by buying TL-S, I'm already saving a lot of money.

Old 03-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Instructor

I hate to but in, but I will stand up for my TL brothers.

I went up against a guy with a brand new 5spd Maxima SE three different times in one night.

The Maxima 5spd will either be exactly even or, in my opinion, pull slightly on a base TL.

Now, let me explain this evening.

First race: From 3rd gear starting at about 80mph (any slower than that and I could have shifted to 2nd and taken off). I start off two cars behind when he hits it and pull half a car aheaaad by the time I hit 4th (about 110mph) and then, get this, even when I hit my wall in 4th I am pulling away by just inches. Result: CLS from highway start.

2nd Race: I'm in front at the light after this in a left turn only lane. As soon as the light turns green I nail and so does he. I hear him get serious wheelspin. I slide all the way through the turn just barely hanging on and then gun it in sportshift and take it all the way up to 7200rpm, nail a perfect shift into 3rd and all I could tell is that while my baby still had breath in her all the way to 7200rpm I could see him have to shift a second earlier and fall back. Pulling nicely. Result: CLS around the corner.

Third race. Lined up at the next light. At this time we're both having fun--acknowledged eachother. We floor it--this guy definatley knew how to push his car. But, I get a really good jump with minimal spin and hook up into the powerband immediately. Close through first. Once again though, his car runs out of breath in 2nd when the VTEC is just getting going. Bigtime pulling at that time and no looking back after that. result: CLS from dead stop.

By the way--I had no mods at that time of these races except springs. Now, with headers, tires and CAI, I would embarass a stock Maxima manual like I did an automatic before I got my mods (V. slow in auto version).

So, in short: I have a great deal of respect for the Maxima. It is quite fast. Now, give me a manual in the CLS with headers and CAI and I will show you a screamer. And by the way, Xephyr hit a 14.42 with CAI only in his CLS at the track. The car is way faster than the mags say. They just can't make it faster than the BMW 330. Many people have hit 60 in under 5 seconds with headers only.

------------------
2001 Black/Black CL Type S
Comptech springs, headers, sway bars
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris 9005 High Beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/ZR17 tires
Red AEM CAI
Koni yellows
Soon to have Iridium plugs, Polarg M6's and
35% metallic tint by meet time!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1192826&a=8788545
Old 03-30-2001, 08:50 PM

I laugh at the way you guys argue about which 4 door family car will kick the others ass.
My wifes 2001 TL is way superior to any Maxima which PALES in comparison to my 300zx TT.
So if you all really want to buy a performance car dont buy a 4 door.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:12 PM

Pales, in what way? rear leg room? duhhh.. in it's time a 300Z-TT was a rocket-sled. Not to mention When you got that TT you were what, 5-6-7-8-9 years younger?

The day it came out the 300Z-TT ***!!!***ANIHILATED***!!!*** (note the use of *'s and !'s) the day's comparibly prices Honda or Acura. What does that mean today and what does that mean to the TL-Max debate, jack &^$($*)(#.

You like the TL, fine. You like the Maxima, fine.

Originally posted by Michael A:
I laugh at the way you guys argue about which 4 door family car will kick the others ass.
My wifes 2001 TL is way superior to any Maxima which PALES in comparison to my 300zx TT.
So if you all really want to buy a performance car dont buy a 4 door.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:20 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up

I owned 3 5 speed Maximas SEs. An 89 which I took 247,000 miles (which still stands as the best car I have ever owned), a 96 SE and a 97 SE. I was a huge Maxima supporter. However, the build quality slipped from year to year. The 89 was a rock, but the newer ones were rattle-traps. When I saw the TL in 99 and test drove it, then went back and sat in my Maxima, there was no comparison (to me, your views may vary). Buying the TL was a no-brainer. The dash with the NAV *blew-away* that plastic Maxima dash. The only downer was the lack of a 5-speed. It took a while, but I grew to like the new select-shifter.

I recently purchased a TL-S as my 99TL's lease expired. This car is WAY faster and more responsive than any Maxima I ever owned. While never owning the latest generation, I can say without hesitation that the rear end of the Maxima SE looks ridiculous, with only the Black car looking slightly less silly, as the tail-light trim blends with the black car.

I voted with my $$$, you vote with yours.

:-jon
Old 03-30-2001, 09:37 PM

I did vote with my $$$, Let's see who's $$$ gets to the line first.

Come on, no one has said they want to run!

Originally posted by oblio98:
I voted with my $$$, you vote with yours.

Old 03-30-2001, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I am not trying to be bias here, I own both Acura and Nissan. But on paper, the Nissan Maxima do look better in most aspects:

TL Type-S
215/50 17
3500lb
5 speed automatic
SOHC Vtec
Made in USA
14.45lb/hp

Maxima SE
225/50 17
3100lb
5 Speed manual
DOHC
Made in Japan
14.6lb/hp

I have a 2000 Maxima and did drive the Type-S because I wanted to trade in my Legend for it. I think the Maxima handle feel more natural because its a lighter car. The Type-S you can feel its a very heavy car at straight line accelertion. When steering hard, the you can feel the Type-S swinging with momentum even at slow cornering. I must say that the Type-S is very stable at high speed because of its weight, but cornering its not what I was expecting. With the car weighting at 3500lb and 260hp, 215/50 17 is just a little too small! The RX-7 with 250hp and weighs 2800lb had bigger tires!

Forgot one thing, the brake is very predictable on the Maxima, the Type-S brake feels like its the same even when you floor it or bearly touching it. The Vtec SOHC I tested last week doesn't rush to 4krpm that easy, it rev pretty slow compared to the Maxima engine.

To clear things up, I am pretty sure the Type-S is targetted to a more mature level of buyer at mid 40's.

I think the verdict is that you cannot compare a Japanese made car with a American made car. The Type-S was made and designed by the Accord guys. The Maxima was made head to toes in Japan, maintaining a sense of Japanese car identity!
Old 03-30-2001, 10:52 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
They are actually pretty close in performance. The Car and Driver web site lists the following info:

ACURA TL-S
Zero to 60 mph 6.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 15.1 sec @ 94 mph
Top speed 145 mph
HP 260

MAXIMA SE
Zero to 60 mph 7.0
Standing 1/4-mile 15.6 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed (drag-limited)140 mph
HP 222

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...TL.xml?&page=2

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...se.xml?&page=5

Old 03-31-2001, 12:11 AM
Racer

The handling might have to wait for some test data from both stupid magazine tests and auto x experience. TL-S has been out for only 2 week. However, it only took me 5 minutes to know TL-S has better handling. It isn't good by any means, but it's better than SE. You should test drive it. If you tested TL, you should also know that it's nothing like TL.
I don't have any data to back me up. All I can offer you is the experience and feeling of both cars. As far as straight line speed is concerned, the data should show TL-S to be favorable to stock Maxima SE. However, straight line acceleration really doesn't mean anything unless you are into drag racing. Either way, I'll give it to Maxima even if it's slower. I'm not taking the TL-S to the drag strip. What's the point? That's what Maxima SE is for. Every car has a different purpose. I think we are comparing wrong cars.

I was on the edge of getting a 1999/2000 TL, the one thing that flipped me was the stick, that made it a no contest. I actually never drove a Maxima before buying it. I drove a TL and decided that it had to be a manual and I ain't drivin' a 165 HP 4X4.

But this all comes down to the first question on this board... "How would a TL-S compare to a maxima AE( or 2000 SE).. as far as handling/performance etc?" The only way to answer this is to get out and burn craploads of gas and have a blast while doing it.

I have said it before and will say it again, an auto Max has no chance against a -S. A manual Max is a race, you in the area?
Old 03-31-2001, 12:27 AM
Racer

I just checked consumer report.
TL has better reliability rating in almost every catagory since 1999.
I don't know which planet's consumer report you are reading.
Honda as a company also place 3 cars on consumer report's top 10 that include 0 car from Nissan.
That, by no mean suggests Nissan aren't as reliable. I have absolutely no problem with my nissan for the last 5 years.
While statistics do show Acura to have the best "short" term reliability, I do believe long term reliability to be on par with Nissan/infiniti and toyota/Lexus.
To suggest superiority of reliability of one car over another is not just arrogant but ignorant. These are the most reliable cars produced on earth. There is not a statistic model in this world that can tell you which one is more reliable until one company drops the ball.
Please do try to be civilized and watch your language. This is a TL-S discussion forum after all. Showing some respect as a visitor is the least you can do.
I'm sure as car lovers, everyone would welcome discussions and arguments based on knowledge and experience that we can all gain from. Bad mouthing is not necessary and it will not make you or your favorite car look any better.

Originally posted by max2kgle526:

OK, I Consumer Reports has always had a reliability record, Every Fricken Year! Where the hell have you been? And the Maxima has been at the top of that list countless times my friend. If I wouldnt have thrown it out, I would have scanned that and shoved it in your face. OK, you say that the "Best Engine" thing has been thrown around ridiculously on so many cars. How come the Acura TL has yet to receive this award?

Old 03-31-2001, 02:14 AM
Safety Car

Amen --

And can I add -- I just smoked a modded Civic SI tonight! Man, does that TL-S pick up speed fast once you're in the power band and your tires lock up!

Peace.

Drive hard -- Type S means something people!!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-31-2001, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by oblio98:
They are actually pretty close in performance. The Car and Driver web site lists the following info:

ACURA TL-S
Zero to 60 mph 6.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 15.1 sec @ 94 mph
Top speed 145 mph
HP 260

MAXIMA SE
Zero to 60 mph 7.0
Standing 1/4-mile 15.6 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed (drag-limited)140 mph
HP 222

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2001/March/200103_prev iew_Acura_TL.xml?&page=2

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/1999/June/199906 _preview_nissan_maximase.xml?&page=5

hehe. I kinda like Motor Trends rating of 6.7 in the 2K Max SE.

OK, I have kinda been acting retarded and making the TL look like a POS. Im sorry if I have done that. The TL is by no means a bad car. I mean, I was going to buy one of theses suckas. Again Sorry. Much Love for the TL.

------------------
2K Maxima GLE

Old 03-31-2001, 09:16 AM

OK...
Heres my take on this...
2000 Maxima GXE 5-speed
Paid: $18,500
Stock E.T.- 14.82 @ 94.75mph (on 18" rims)
CL, TL, CL-S, TL-S....whatever!
NONE ARE FASTER!
And my car was about 1/2 the price!
Nuff said.

------------------

Supercharged 2K Maxima.
5-speed manual.
340HP.
19" Rims.
You get the idea.

Old 03-31-2001, 10:00 AM
slickTL17