TL-S Tips I've Learned

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset the Maintenance Required light.

Here's one I just learned today. To reset the "Maint Req'd" light, just turn the ignition on and hold the two odometer reset buttons down for about 10 seconds.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Banned

Re: Reset the Maintenance Required light.

Originally posted by LarryLynx
Here's one I just learned today. To reset the "Maint Req'd" light, just turn the ignition on and hold the two odometer reset buttons down for about 10 seconds.
Correct. But make sure you hold down the buttons first before turing on the ignition. Depending on what you do first, you can adjust two different things:

-Press both buttons down, turn key to II (On) position, hold for 10 seconds = reset maintenence required light

-Turn key to II (On) position, press both buttons down, hold for 10 seconds = degree adjustment for outside temp probe.

Releasing the buttons when it reads a certain number adjusts the outside temp reading by that amount. So if you held them until it scrolled to -2 and let go, your temperature reading would display 2 degrees lower than the probe measured.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Racer

OH! OH! I have another one... If you shift the transmission into 2... not sportshift 2 but regular 2, the transmission doesnt downshift to 1. When you come to a complete stop and start accelerating again, the car will start off in 2nd gear not first Good for something like if you're stuck in snow and 1st gear makes your wheels spin too much then you can put it in 2nd which will decrease power since the car is using 2nd gear to begin accelerating... maybe you can also use it off the line while racing to avoid wheelspin too
Old 01-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Drifting

2nd gear will have less torque but more rotational wheel speed, That is not good if you are trying to avoid spinning in snow.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:58 AM
Pro

How about don't roll down your windows in the morning after a night of rain....
b/c as soon as you turn even slightly all the freakin water from the roof slides right into the car... DOHH!

And you guys with garages don't rub it in & say you don't have that problem.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hemants
2nd gear will have less torque but more rotational wheel speed, That is not good if you are trying to avoid spinning in snow.
From a standing start, your rotational wheel speed will be the same, no matter what gear you're in. The key is to minimize the torque, which is what starting in second gear does. Almost all car makers that have a "winter" mode for their automatic transmissions (usually activated by a button) lock out first gear and force the car to start in second gear for this reason. They also lower the shift points to avoid wheel slippage between shifts.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Racer

I think they do it so that if your driving down the highway, you dont accidently open the trunk (say your wife has a spare set in her purse with you and she shuffles it around).

Kind of inconvenient, I know... but if you were nice to leave the car on to keep her warm, the least she could have done is reached over and got the switch for ya ;-). That is if she is physically capable.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:13 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Edward'TLS
When the stick wiper switch is set to intermitent and the delay knob is turned to minimum, the wiper will wipe without any delay during driving. However, when the car is stopped, the wiper will wipe with a two second delay in between, and will go back to no delay when the speed exceeds approx. 20 km/hr.

i thought it was setting the dial to max speed that will make the wipers do this?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Instructor

This is neat little detail the salesman showed me when I picked the car up:

There is a little notch in the side of the upper console compartment on the passenger side. This is you can plug your cell phone charger into the outlet in the bottom console compartment and then run the cord into the upper compartment and rest the phone in there.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vperkins2
[B]How about the fact that you can leave your headlights on all the time (if that's your thing) -- and when you shut off the engine and get out, they'll turn off by themselves in about 15 seconds or so (I think).

V.

How does this work again? I tried shutting the engine off then the lights after, but the lights go out with the switch.

You mean I can have the time delay and walk away from the car with the lights off after a certain time? Howyoudodat?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vperkins2
[B]How about the fact that you can leave your headlights on all the time (if that's your thing) -- and when you shut off the engine and get out, they'll turn off by themselves in about 15 seconds or so (I think).

V.

How does this work again? I tried shutting the engine off then the lights after, but the lights go out with the switch.

You mean I can have the time delay and walk away from the car with the lights off after a certain time? Howyoudodat?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vicman17
[B]
Originally posted by vperkins2
How about the fact that you can leave your headlights on all the time (if that's your thing) -- and when you shut off the engine and get out, they'll turn off by themselves in about 15 seconds or so (I think).

V.

Well, just leave your lights in the "ON" position and when you shut off your engine, get out, and shut your car door your lights will shut off 15-30 seconds later. Also, when you unlock your car your headlights will come back on "auto-magically" before you start your car.

V.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:49 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by kchao2000
I don't think there is any Japanese cars allow you open the driver door with locked.

I notice the inconvenient about those memory seats also. 'Cuz I did stand there waiting in pouring rain once before. Well... but I still like it 'cuz my Altima doesn't have any memory seats features. :p
My brother's '01 Eclipse GT lets you open the doors when locked just by pulling on the door handle. I don't know about other brands, though.

I'm the only one who drives my car, so the memory seat thing doesn't really bother me.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Racer

The parking break joke

it would have been funny - but the the parking break is on the right hand side not the far left
Old 11-10-2003, 10:58 AM
The axeman Cometh

I don think that it is a good idea to have your lights come on automatically when you start the car. The HID lights require a HUGE voltage amount and I dont think that it is best to obtain that power from your battery. Leave the lights off and after you start your car and have power being drawn from the alternator, then you should turn your lights on. I have never left anything turned on (radio, heater/fan, AC, lights) when I turn the car off. Consequently, my car batteries have always exceeded their maximum lifetime. My 99 has the original battery after 100k miles and the eye is still bright green :-)

Later,
Axe
Old 11-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Crav4Speed
oh yeah?!? you guys never probably noticed it but when you insert the key into the door lock ...

Ahhhh, I don't understand... open the door with a key? Whatha???
Old 11-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by chrism7855
i noticed one!!!!

after i start the car .. and put the car in D5... if i life my foot off the pedal on the left.. it creeps forward. wow another one!!!! after you lift your foot off the left pedal... and you push down on right pedal... your car moves faster!!!! anyone notice the this? or is this just my car?
You are so wrong for that!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by axeman
[B]I don think that it is a good idea to have your lights come on automatically when you start the car. The HID lights require a HUGE voltage amount and I dont think that it is best to obtain that power from your battery. Leave the lights off and after you start your car and have power being drawn from the alternator, then you should turn your lights on. I have never left anything turned on (radio, heater/fan, AC, lights) when I turn the car off. Consequently, my car batteries have always exceeded their maximum lifetime. My 99 has the original battery after 100k miles and the eye is still bright green :-)

I generally trust the engineers to know what is good and not good for the car. I have used the headlight feature on this and my old Accord and my Dad in his 97 RL, and never encountered any problems. As for the radio, A/C, etc., they pull a very minimal amount of power when the engine starts--this makes no difference to your battery. Actually, I doubt the A/C pulls any power because the compressor doesn't come on until after the car has started.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Iconoclast

Old Thread

Man, talk about resurrecting an old thread. I started this one back in January 2002!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Heres a tip- DONT use the windshield washer with the window down unless you want to get wet!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

If you're driving and shift your gear selector to a gear that's too low (not using sport shift) it will hold the next higher gear until you go below the required speed. So if you're going 70 and shift to second, it will hold third until you get below 60.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Banned

UFTim.. I'll take ur word for that one! That is one that I'm not trying!!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Instructor