TL-S in Arlington, TX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile TL-S in Arlington, TX

Greetings. Yesterday I got a call from the local Acura dealer here, to inform me that the new brochures were in. Went by today to pick it up, and he also informed me that they had a few TL-Ss (non-Navi) in the back, which were already sold. I checked it out, and it was sitting side-by-side with a 2002 TL). The TL-S looks great! He had already reserved one for me (Satin Silver w/Navi), and it is expected to arrive at the end of this month. VIN # was not available yet, as it is being built this week.

Now for some interesting stuff. I asked him about the possibilities of price negotiating, and he informed me that Acura has informed its' dealers that they would not be permitted to come down from MSRP on the TL-Ss, in an attempt to not dillute the vehicles value (or something like that). Basically, Acura had decided to really boast its' image (i.e. Lexus, BMW, Mercedes).

The dealer only had about six 2001 TLs on the lot, but had about 20 (or 25) 2001 CL-Ss on the lot, which he offered to sell one to me at $200 over invoice, if I wanted a CL-S. I gratefully said "no thanks," and was looking forward to picking up my TL-S at the end of this month. Also, he informed me that the RSX is going to be a very hot seller. He already had deposits for 50 of them
Old 03-13-2001, 07:51 PM

I think that dealer is BSing you. I don't think the factory has any legal ability to force a dealer to sell a car for a specific price. Maybe Acura has "strongly suggested" that the dealers hold to MSRP, but that still doesn't make it binding. Besides, the factory makes the same $ for each car no matter what the dealer sells it for, so why would they dictate MSRP-only deals?

However, that said, I still don't think any dealers are going to budge from MSRP for at least the first 3-4 months. But, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:17 PM
Advanced

You mention BMW and Mercedes. Well they will absolutely work with you on the price so why would Acura hold firm?
It makes no sense. Your dealer has rocks in his head.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Not finished yet.
I'd simply tell that dealer that you'd be happy to scoot your A$$ over to the BMW or Mercedes, or Lexus, or Infinity lot and see if THEY are allowed to budge off of MSRP for comparable vehicles.
Maybe they'd be a little more willing to work with you...
Old 03-13-2001, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Yes, I told the dealer that I would "shop around" with the other Acura dealers in my area, and go with the one that provides me with the lowest price. Additionally, I'm going to look at an Infiniti i30 (with the same option), and use that as a negotiating tool as well. I've never paid MSRP for a car (currently on my third Prelude, and previously had an Acura Vigor), and don't plan to now. Additionally, I have e-mailed the two other Acura dealers in my area, plus one in San Antonio as asked all of them to give me there "best and final offer" with no price haggling. In the end, I'll go with the dealer that gives me the lowest price for the TL-S. Stay tuned...
Old 03-13-2001, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

That dealer was basically BSing. I had exactly the same experience with the Integra and the Odyssey when they first came out. I just told the salespeople that I was going to shop somewhere else and then left. Guess what, they both called back and were willing to "work on the price."

Do you think the dealer rather make less profit than losing the whole deal?
Old 03-14-2001, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Cool

It's not Acura forcing the dealers to sell at MSRP, they most likely suggested it. The reality is that the dealers see no reason to go lower than MSRP because of demand. Think about it, people started placing orders on these cars in December. The dealers know that if you don't buy it, someone else will. That strategy is both good and bad. For example, last year's release of the CL-S was hyped up...3-4 months later, they hype died down and the dealers were willing to deal on the CL-S. Then you have the MDX hype, which is still a 'hot' seller and the dealers are still taking orders at MSRP. My advice, wait a few months if you're not in a hurry, and see. The worst that can happen is that you still pay MSRP, which is the case now...just my two cents!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 10:37 AM

jlam23, you are a bit mistaken about the demand for the 2002 TL. I know that several dealers have these cars in stock and no one buying them.
The MDX was sold the second it hit the lot. There was no inventory.
The degree to which the dealer will negotiate will be purely determined by that old Supply and Demand equation.
If I can walk off the lot w/o that car, the demand isn't that great is it?
I can walk to BMW and get a VERY nice car for under $33,000. I can do the same at Infinity and maybe even Mercedes.
Supply is there guys.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Lawrence:
If I can walk off the lot w/o that car, the demand isn't that great is it?
I can walk to BMW and get a VERY nice car for under $33,000. I can do the same at Infinity and maybe even Mercedes.
Supply is there guys.
--Since when can you get a nice BMW for under $33k??
You can't come CLOSE to the size or feature content of the TL-S at a BMW dealer for that price. And Mercedes? You're kidding, right? Have you priced the new C-Class?? Don't get me wrong - everyone knows they're beautiful cars, but one thing they are not is reasonably priced!

Old 03-14-2001, 02:07 PM

BMW 328i and Mercedes C class both can be had for under 33k.(You won't get all the options but so what!)
Just look up Edmunds.com or similar page.
Also check the Infinity I30 or Lexus ES 300 or even IS 300(if you want small).

Point being, there are a lot of options in the particular class: $30,000-$35,000 sedan.

Sticking to MSRP will only put wear and tear on those door hinges in the dealership. Cause people will be walking out as fast as they walked in.

I'll say this... I'm going to look at a TL-S real soon. I will try to negotiate price. If the salesman has the balls to tell me that he has to get MSRP, he'll see nothing but my backside.
I want to make a decision by April 1 so I'm perfectly happy to buy from someone else that appreciates my business.
Old 03-14-2001, 02:33 PM
Advanced

The dealer I was at was Vandergriff. I also received a call from David McDavid Acura (also in the local area), with the same basic statement about selling the TL-S at MSRP due to the high demand for it. Now, this may just be the situation here in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex area, where there is more demand than supply. However, in my case, I cannot wait another 3 to 4 months until the hype dies down, as my wife's car is dead (has been since Oct '00), and I'll be giving her my Prelude when I get my TL-S.

We'll see what happens, as I'll be looking to negotiate a good price for a trade-in (my wife's dead car), and possibly some other accessories.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Don't get me wrong, I am strictly against paying MSRP. It's just that different markets have different "supply and demand". The dealers are banking on people who feel that they have to be the first ones to have the TL-S and will pay MSRP. It's a "win-win" strategy for the dealers...the question is win-big or win-small? If you can get a comparable BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. then that's great. If you pay lower than MSRP for a TL-S...then more power to ya!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paying $1000 bucks to get it 6 months to a
year sooner than when I can get it below
msrp isn't so bad.

Picture it like this...
a) pay 31,710 now
b) pay 30,710 in 6 months

The difference in price + tax is like
leasing the car for $180 / month for 6
months.

a) pay 31,710 now
b) pay 30,000 in 1 year

The difference in price + tax is like
leasing the car for $154 / month for 12
months.

If you're making payments on your car now
then you're not really gaining anything by
waiting.

Just a 2nd perspective.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Closer on March 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-14-2001, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 30,595 you can get a c240 with 168hp and no options. (I mean no options... no sunroof, powerseats, heated seats, folding rear seats). Equally equiped it's $37,600.
This is the 240... not even the 320.
The 320 starts at $36,950.
My co-worked already dislikes his 320. He said it's not up to the usual Mercedes quality he's used getting. I still think it's nice, but he's dissapointed... and been in the shop 3 times in 2 months.

The 325/8 series is a good competitor though. Equiped it's 32,700. Severely underpowered, but a very respectable vehicle. If you like the bmw attention. Or $34,635 for a base 330i (again no options... not even leather, leatherette... please!). Equiped, the 330i runs $39,505. But, here you atleast get a vehicle that performs up or beyond the TL-S. Good luck getting the 330 for under msrp.

The ES300 you can definately get under msrp. Base msrp $32,050 is very high, imo. Again, with nothing (no leather, sunroof). loaded it runs $36,990 (but cars direct is offering it at $33,835!). Not a bad deal... but you're buying nearly last of it's kind. And not exactly a fun car, even with the extra 40hp from the trd supercharger.

I personally couldn't imagine ever driving a bmw or mercedes or lexus with no options. Those companies are know for their luxury... without the luxury you have... hmmm. A standard car with an expensive nameplate.

31,710 for leather, 6 disc bose, traction control, active handling, 260hp, memory seats, heated seats, hids, reverse tilting mirrors, etc. and ofcourse... lit change holder.
That's just a damn good deal... even if you 'are' paying msrp.

Sorry... long winded.. but I looked hard at what else I could get. And I felt pretty happy with what I got.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:07 PM
Instructor

I've been talking with two dealers in my area about the Type S for the last 2 months. Neither has suggested that I put down a deposit or that they had a wait list for the cars. One of the dealers just got 3 in today, and I'm going over tomorrow to test drive. Supply and Demand always rules the day in a sales situation, and from what I've seen, there's more supply then demand in my area. I'll let you know how pricing conversations go when I get to that point.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro

Hey AnthonyG,

I'm familiar with the Arlington area, which Acura dealership did you go to? Vandergriff?