TL NAVI and the Breadcrumb feature

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 08:40 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Question TL NAVI and the Breadcrumb feature

Has anyone gotten a good explanation as to why we (TL NAVI owners) do not have the "breadcrumb" feature in our units, even though it is specifically written about in our owners manual?

My dealer went "Duh, I didn't know that"?

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Interior Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
StreetEffectz Audio Upgrade (Coming 6/26)
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 06-22-2001, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by oblio98:
Has anyone gotten a good explanation as to why we (TL NAVI owners) do not have the "breadcrumb" feature in our units, even though it is specifically written about in our owners manual?

My dealer went "Duh, I didn't know that"?

What is the "breadcrumb" feature?

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Breadcrumb?

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S Nav
Old 06-22-2001, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by oracion:
Breadcrumb?

You know, like when you're eating that burger in your car and cough up some bread crumbs onto the nav screen.
Actually, it is a feature that leaves "breadcrumbs" on your path so you could easily turn around and go back the same way you came. Useful when you're stuck in the middle of the Sahara desert. I believe the MDX nav system has this feature. Not sure why it wasn't included in ours.

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S w/Navi
Old 06-22-2001, 10:21 AM
Banned

Yeah, I really miss that feature. I can't tell you how many times I go offroading in my TLS and get lost.

Seriously, I don't see why even the MDX needs that feature, since it is really not designed for serious offroading.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by mikester on June 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-22-2001, 10:58 AM
Racer

hmmm.. i didn't know the MDX has that.. and i've never heard of that feature until today... guess i should read my owner's manual...

uhhhhmm... mikester.. you take your TL-S offroading???? hmm... u got it raised or somethin? lol.. j/k
Old 06-22-2001, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Talking

LOL... it has nothing to do with off-roading. If you put directions into an address, it allows you to come back to your original starting place (the return trip) without having to enter that address and starting from scratch...

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0
Mods: * PIAA Superwhite Headlights ** Rabrig Superwhite corners ** PIAA 1100x Superwhite fogs ** Clear Bumpers (finally) ** tinted windows (20% rear / 35% rest) ** Weapon-R F1 Carbon Intake ** (NOW FOR SALE!!)

Moderator - 1st Gen and Car Talk Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 06-22-2001, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by juniorbean:

LOL... it has nothing to do with off-roading. If you put directions into an address, it allows you to come back to your original starting place (the return trip) without having to enter that address and starting from scratch...
If that's all you want to do, just touch the car icon and save your current position before you leave. When you want to return, you'll be able to find your saved position in the Previous Destinations.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:13 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I've noticed that RL & MDX has little antenna on the roof...Is that antenna used for breadcrumb feature????? Just wondering..
Old 06-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by songoku:
I've noticed that RL & MDX has little antenna on the roof...Is that antenna used for breadcrumb feature????? Just wondering..
That's the OnStar antenna. The breadcrumb feature is purely software.
Old 06-23-2001, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I see no practical use for breadcrumb feature in the TL. I do remember a commercial for the MDX where they were pushing that feature of the NAVI. I believe they were driving the MDX through a desert.

If you want to see where you have been just switch to map view and you will see the blue highlighted route.

Still waiting for my integrated NAVI phone.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:26 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by daverman:
That's the OnStar antenna. The breadcrumb feature is purely software.
So MDX & RL has on-star feature??????
Why don't chevy or cadil cars don't have that antenna on the roof then??????
Old 06-23-2001, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

I think only RL has the OnStar option. Is the one on the MDX an antenna only?

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S Nav
Old 06-23-2001, 04:25 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Arrow

The breadcrumb feature would be useful to people who live in areas that are not heavily mapped. Out where I live, only the main roads are on the map. It would be nice to see a "trail" on the screen representing the back roads around here.

I only brought this up because it is listed in our owners manual. I did not mean to imply that I wanted to go "Off-Roading"!!!

Old 06-23-2001, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I see no point in the breadcrumbs feature. However I have noticed that the navi gets horribly confused sometimes in Los Angeles...I guess the road network is such a maze here that its too much of a challenge for the navi.

For example, approaching downtown LA there are dual and triple exits that branch off service ramps etc. very close to each other...the navi just cannot keep up with the directions and enters a perpetual state of "Recalculating..."

On some areas in the Angeles Crest mountains there are very tight curves...sometimes the navi will go back and forth between the correct road and "Not on digitized road" message.

Other issues are multi-tier ramps that are very common in LA, it will tell you to take "134-West" and then because the 134-East/West ramps are one on top of the other it gets confused and says "134-East RAMP" when infact you've just taken the 134-West...oh well, I guess common sense helps :-)
Old 06-23-2001, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by thejavagod:
Yeah, I see no point in the breadcrumbs feature. However I have noticed that the navi gets horribly confused sometimes in Los Angeles...I guess the road network is such a maze here that its too much of a challenge for the navi.
Make sure that your Navi's yaw rates are calibrated properly so that it tracks your turns as you take the exit ramps.

My Navi came from the dealer horribly miscalibrated. The display would often show me turning away when I'm not, and turning way too fast to the right, and not quickly enough to the left. This left the Navi hunting roads and recalculating ad infinitum.

I took the unit in for servicing and the service crew didn't have the first clue about what to do! So I decided to calibrate it myself.

In the diagnostic screen (Menu + Map/Guide + Cancel) you'll find a setting for Yaw Rate, where you can set calibration values for CW and CCW turns. Positive values will increase sensitivity to turns in that direction, and negative values will dampen turns in that direction.

I have my Navi set to -0.1%CCW and -0.7%CW and it's tracking quite well! I haven't seen it get confused about which roads I'm on yet, although it is still a little jittery at times. As you can see from the above values, my yaw rate gyro is much more sensitive in the CW direction, hence the excessive right-turning tendency.

Try it out and see if it improves your tracking. Start from zero and calibrate it slowly, no more than +/- 0.2% each day. Note that you won't see the effect of your adjustment immediately. The Navi software constantly recalibrates the zero point of the yaw rate gyro over several minutes.