TL getting old and needing TLC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look im just stating what the fsm says. which is totaly opposite of what your saying.. heck you could be wrong all along.

hmmm.. sorry to offend you buddy.. but do you have an oem acura fsm? if you dont spend the extra the money for one..
Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

look im just telling you what the oem acura fsm says.. sorry to offend you buddy. Just because you do something one way doesn't mean its always right..

do you even have an oem acura fsm.. if you dont spend the extra money and get one..
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Question Cap or Bypass PS line ?

Originally Posted by cambo904
the motor came out of a japan equivalent of a honda accord, (so i'm told). There were'nt really any big obstacles. Nothing that would hinder you from installing it. Everything swapped over except for the PS speed sensor. You can't install it even if you tried, the MGSA tranny doesn't have mechanicals for it inside (I checked); Even though there is a blank off plate where it would have been.

the MGSA transmission does not have a provision for the Acura TL power steering speed sensor. Also, this sensor is mechanical and the only way to add it to the transmission is to tear it down and install the necessary components. In order for you to use it. no worries there. by the way, i wasn't complaining about the power steering feel as it sits.. just trying to see If I could make it better..

Sometimes when doing "swaps", ya gotta improvise and think out of the box a bit. While the Factory Service Manual is the gospel with working on the factory installed original parts.....once ya start modifying things to adapt another part, it's trial and error.

So, either try capping to find out if that's what ya want.....or bypass loop as others have suggested. Other than that, if you're still dissatisfied......you're on your own, unless ya can find the specific Japanese FSM for the motor & tranny which ya purchased.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

yea, i think outa the box all the time, which is why i'm trying to find a fix for not have the ps speed sensor installed. its looped right now but i'm not to satisfied with how it feels. I think it can be improved.. for now its drivable. I own 3 cars and my TL with the ps steering speed sensor removed, is tighter of all the other two. Non of the other vehicles have variable speed sensitive power assisted steering..
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Looking at page 17-38 of the acura oem fsm. it shows an assist control valve and pressure control valve, right behind the sensor inlet hose fitting.

Just speculating.. but maybe the ps speed sensor is a pump that changes fluid pressure as speed increases or decreases. This pressure controls these two valves behind the the hose fitting. allowing more or less pressure into the gear rack valve housing from the ps pump.

so its not really a booster pump.. its a variable fluid pump which controls these two valves.

until i locate a manual on how this ps speed sensor works. this is my guess.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

i wish i could post some pics of this page and everything else. but this forum wont let me attach photos unless its hyperlinked.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

the two valves im talking about are number 23 in the diagram, spring assist control valve, located right behind sensor inlet port cover #22
Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

I believe a better way to get your ps steering back is to route pump pressure into the sensor inlet port, (which will intern open/ or close those valves depending on how the valve works).... to get full pump pressure to the gear box.

although there maybe a downside to this. you'd have full power of the pump all the time.. I'm not so sure that is a good idea. then again my other cars that don't have variable power assist does just fine..
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

and here is another theory of what happens when you put that bypass hose in place.

firstly, one end is plugged into the sensor inlet port, the other end to the return line ps pump system

when your pump is operating, it circulates this fluid in a loop. once this fluid passes the port where the bypass is located.
creates a sort of vacuum on this hose pulling those valves closed (or open depending on how the valve operates)

so it doesn't help with power steering at all, it works but not to its full potential.

i'm gonna experiment with this more and keep you guys posted for whoever is still interested..
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc

So, either try capping to find out if that's what ya want.....or bypass loop as others have suggested. Other than that, if you're still dissatisfied......you're on your own, unless ya can find the specific Japanese FSM for the motor & tranny which ya purchased.
it probably wouldn't help me for what i'm trying to do.. because this tranny doesn't have the ps speed sensor mechanicals. my original tl tranny b7wa had the ps speed sensor, i used this tranny (MGSA) because it was available to me for a better price. I have no complaints about the tranny it works great. the power steering is what all this talk is about.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
it probably wouldn't help me for what i'm trying to do.. because this tranny doesn't have the ps speed sensor mechanicals. my original tl tranny b7wa had the ps speed sensor, i used this tranny (MGSA) because it was available to me for a better price. I have no complaints about the tranny it works great. the power steering is what all this talk is about.
What is the complaint about? The steering should be what it is on the hwy all the time (all speeds) now instead of slightly lighter in the city. It shouldnt be hard to turn.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
hmm.. that doesn't seem right that assist supposed to kick in at slow speed and at stand still .. and get firmer at highway speed.. if it was moaning at a stop then your ps speed sensor was faulty. (assuming you had the ps speed sensor still installed)
Well if it didnt operate/ limit the fluid at low speeds your steering would be weighted, just like it is when you are at hwy speed. I didnt have it installed. I converted my car to a manual, which doesnt have the variable speed steering spot. I TRIED both ways, capping it and looping it. With it capped, steering was way to boosted on the hwy, and at a stop the pump made noises. Again, this may have had something to do with my lightweight underdrive pulley, OR it may not have. With it looped it is a very nicely weighted steering. It has been operating this way for 250k give or take a few thousand miles)

Obviously you arent going to take any advise we have and just seem to want to tell us how it works because you have the FSM (As do i, along with about 400 pages of revised stuff pages, along with Factory electrical manuals, and the digital PDF version) so i see no further reason to continue asking questions as you think we are all wrong, (am i wrong in this assumption? ) If you dont like the way it is looped, cap them. It would take all of 5 min to do and see if it suits you better.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
a TLS or CLS has awesome power steering. It is not that hard at all. If my wife can do it without issues in her 02 CL-S, so can you op...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Thumbs up PS feel.....

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
a TLS or CLS has awesome power steering. It is not that hard at all. If my wife can do it without issues in her 02 CL-S, so can you op...