Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 04:24 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL is being insulted by Forbes!!!

the topic was brought up by JusMan

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=17700

may I suggest we all send the writer of the article a few lines at letters@forbes.net ...

or am I over-reacting?
Old 07-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Drifting

In your defence:

1. they didn't mention the Type S
2. if you're over fifty and you're in 5th gear in manual mode and you floor it then you are a moron, the car shouldn't have to think for you, that's what automatic mode is for

In their defence:

1. they did say the car looks quite good but that most owners say that exterior styling are a weak point; can't say i disagree if it's a BMW or Audi you are comparing it to
2. they did say it's the best value for the money
3. most driving enthusiast don't want front wheel drive, it's gotta be RWD or AWD but that's not what the car is aimed towards
Old 07-27-2001, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Re: TL is being insulted by Forbes!!!

Oh, just let them be. These magazines rant and rave but no-one takes them seriously anyway. No magazine article has changed my mind about a car yet. If anyone should be upset at an unfair comparo it should be Acura themselves.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reads more like a backhanded compliment.

About the SS - my current ride has a tiptronic with the auto-upshift / downshift feature. I didn't even know it had that feature for awhile because if I were flooring it and shifting manually I would upshift before redline anyway. I also don't like not knowing what gear I'm going to be in when I'm slowing on an exit ramp and merging with slower traffic. I think that the SS is superior in this respect. My 2 cents...
Old 07-27-2001, 12:08 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

the thing is that in his email response...

he goes that TL-S is not worth buying and indicated that ES is a better car...mabe a GS...but an ES?!?!
Old 07-27-2001, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by hemants
In your defence:

2. if you're over fifty and you're in 5th gear in manual mode and you floor it then you are a moron, the car shouldn't have to think for you, that's what automatic mode is for

I agree, if you wanted the car to automatically upshift and downshift for you then why even use the SS?? Just keep it in auto....

I like it just the way it is on the TLS, gives me more control. If I was going 55 mph, I want to <i>manually</i> downshift to 3 and take off! That's the whole fun of it, duplicating the experience of a stick shift as much as possible...the reviewer probably has not driven a stick shift in his life !!

I also find the styling to be sleek. The TLS is a great vehicle that gets treated unfairly but these types of reviewers who have limited experience.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:28 PM
Instructor

yes, I agree that the author's SS comment was pretty lame...
if you were driving a stick, no one would floor it at 5th gear over 50 mph and expect to accelerate quickly! but even if you leave it in fully automatic, and floor it, the car DOES move!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by silverstarr
yes, I agree that the author's SS comment was pretty lame...
if you were driving a stick, no one would floor it at 5th gear over 50 mph and expect to accelerate quickly! but even if you leave it in fully automatic, and floor it, the car DOES move!
I already wrote an e-mail to the editors in forbes., they respond to me in next month by on editor section in FORBE Magazine. Wrote me an e-mail that they will retest the acura TL.. such an idiots.... i told them that TLS is among popular to 20 and 30s... and I also told about 5th gearing can go 4th and 3rd gear while you are going 55mph.. what a bad editor...