TL - 330i - G35

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 02:24 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL VS. BMW 330i VS. INFINITI G35

I Am So Confused.. Im waiting or 2004 TL..

I know a TL is a very good reliable car and the new one will have lots of Horse and might have intelligent cruise control...

The 330i I think looks nice and has the prestigous BMW name on it.. I seen some lately and they look pretty nice, better than pictures.. Lots of my friends say not to buy a German Luxurious car like BMW because they dont last long but Im pretty sure it will last about 150,000 miles and thats not bad. Correct me if 150,000 isnt a desired life of a Beemer.. Also a BMW you know is a BMW, the name is everything.. I bet it has lots of little things that make is luxurious and fast.. I know it can keep up with a TL but the 2004 TL will be faster.. Also I heard they are increasing the HP for next year.. I know that repairing the car is very expensive but if I get a 100,000 mile warranty I dont think theres anything to worry about..

And the G35 is alright.. I dont think it looks too good but I have not seen it in person or ever seen anyone drive it.. I wonder why its so rare? I would think a new car like that would be selling like crazy to people that like them.. Like the new Accord I see lots of them..

I was wondering if RWD is better or FWD.. Please give me your opinions on which is better.. I live in a bad winter with snow.. I have heard RWD is better for handling so wouldnt the G35 and Beemer be a advantage..

All in all I want:
Good Handling - At Corner Turning at Speed
Good Horsepower
Comfort and Interior - Good Navi and Good Sound System
New Features that make it stand out like Intelligent Cruise Control
Good Family and Racing Car
Reliable Car that will last me years and wont cause me too many probs
MP3 CD Player
Xenon HID Lights
4 Door Sedan

*My limit is about $35k
*Might do Small Mods but nothing BIG
*I Will clean every 2 weeks and Take care of the car very good..
*WILL BE FIRST NEW CAR EVER BOUGHT

Please tell me if I can add any other car to my list?

I Know I Wrote too much but dont wanna come back and think of something again..

PLEASE CORRECT ME ON ANYTHING I SAID AS I WOULD LIKE THE KNOWLEDGE OF MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE OUT THERE..
Old 11-10-2002, 02:34 AM
Race Director

Just looked up BMW's Price and it goes way over 40 if I get it fully loaded.. they charge you lot for the options.. And the 325 is less power.. So I guess scratch that off the list..
Old 11-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Racer

G35 is nice, but the interior sucks ass. It's got a lot of power, handles well.

However if you haven't driven a RWD car before don't get one if it's your primary... there's a huge difference between FWD and RWD, specially WHEN taking hard turns. You can take them harder but in RWD there's no help if you **** up... your rear end will stop shooting out by a physical object, not because the car stops it. The TL that way has an advantage because FWD induces understeer and thus the rear end of the car is not going out under any circumstance (unless you're doing something insanely stupid).

The G35 will also run you mroe on insurance, if that's a factor. Personally I'd get the G35 but that's because I would make use of the car.. I enjoy doing my 180s, reverse 180s, donuts, 90 degree turns, etc. RWD makes it easier, but you can do near everything like that in the TL as well, though 180s suck because of the footbrake. Most people don't need that extra handling edge, because they just don't drive to require it. These same people are those who like a bit of power here and again, and thus the TL would be the better choice.

G35 is not nearly well built as the TL though, if that's a factor. And the TL is the best (or one of the best) handling FWD cars, should you go with the Type S.

By the way, the reason FWD cars are better in snow than RWD cars (generally), is because the engine is in the front, as well as the drivetrain. The weight of the car is in the front, so when your tires hit snow they are putting more weight on the moving tires, and thus getting better traction. Rear wheel drive cars are geneally (and I use this term loosely) balanced 50:50 or CLOSE to it. FWD cars have a 60/40 balance, as the TL does.

Edit: if this is your first new car, get the TL without a doubt. You can learn the limits of a newer FWD car (the best handling one there is for that matter), and then work your way up to a sports car. To jump into one right away may very well give you headaches you don't want. Specially in off-weather situations, where you take a turn harder than you should, the rear and slides and you can't/don't countersteer properly or fast enough... your rear end will wind up hitting the curb if not something worse, and you will be severely pissed off about getting it messed up.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:51 AM
Racer

Wanted to note about the BMW and German cars in general... their engines last near forever (at least for the most part), it's the electronics that mess up and will cost you huge in repairs.

And it's 'Bimmer' not 'Beemer'
Old 11-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Also fwd cars are better in the snow because the steering wheels are also the traction wheels-a rwd car will often plow straight ahead no matter which way you turn the wheel.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Racer

Before I purchased my TL, I test drove the TL, TL-S and G35 sedan (plus a few other I won't mention)
The G35 handles like the the TL-S but I have a problem with it looking like a "bubble" (And having to look at it everday for the next 6-8 years)
The TL-S is great HP wise but is a little too "hard riding" for my taste. I live in Florida where there are NO hills or winding roads so the extra performance of the TL-S is not a factor. My daily commute is 60 miles round trip on the freeway so I opted for the TL-P instead. It gives me a much quieter and smoother ride than the TL-S would.
My advise would be to honesty ask yourself what you will be doing with the car 95% of the time.

PS - You can always add another 5-10 HP to your TL-P if you choose to add a CAI and a K&N filter.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 330 and a TL. Money not being a limiting factor, I'd take the bimmer over the acura any day.
However, if you don't have $42K to spend the bmw obviously isn't an option.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Race Director

Thanks a lot! Any more suggestions? I guess I will go with a FWD Car.. Im just waiting for the 2004 TL.. The Beemer I think is nice to but it looks smaller and is way more expensive.. The G35 Coupe is nice but I need a sedan and the Sedan is UGLY! So I guess im left with a TL, only thing is I havent even seen it yet.. I hope its Nice and isnt ugly like the new Accord..
Old 11-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come noone mentions that in the G-35, there's this annoying reflection from the vent on the windshield. One of the reason y i didnt buy it back in april.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah and Infiniti have one of the worst blue book value. 3 years from now, the acura will worth 3-4k more than an Infiniti. Not a big deal rite? If you planning to keep the car. Well but what if say you get in an accident and its totalled. You get less money.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:06 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by jdone
Also fwd cars are better in the snow because the steering wheels are also the traction wheels-a rwd car will often plow straight ahead no matter which way you turn the wheel.
If this is all true why the hell do expensive cars have RWD and all new cars adapting to it? BMW, G35, and many other cars..
There has to be advantages to RWD..
Are you saying that people that own a 330i just walk to work in snow? LOL I mean they can drive and all right?

ONE QUICK QUESTION: whats the diff between 4X4, 4WD, AWD THanks
Old 11-11-2002, 03:06 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by this is me
How come noone mentions that in the G-35, there's this annoying reflection from the vent on the windshield. One of the reason y i didnt buy it back in april.
Can u explain what u mean? THANK$
Old 11-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 2004TL

Can u explain what u mean? THANK$
Well!! 2004TL, have u been in the G35 yet? If u haven't go to a dealer and test drive one. It's a piece of fine machinery ur driving.
But also look at the windshield. There's this reflection of the dashboard on it. Very annoying on a sunny day and if the interior is black. Some people are annoyed by it more than others. I dunno if they still have that in the coupe though. Havent been in one yet. Maybe i should give my lovely Infiniti dealer a visit again.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Hercules
Wanted to note about the BMW and German cars in general... their engines last near forever (at least for the most part), it's the electronics that mess up and will cost you huge in repairs.
Amen to that. The 30 valve V6 in my Passat is a juggernaut. Smooth, torquey, overall a nice engine. Other electronics attached to the car ... ... let's not even go there. My Audi was the same way, too. The 1.8T was a sweet engine. BUt the other electronics in the cabin ... At least the electronic controls/systems on the engines have not caused any problems. Makes you wonder why they can make such great engines but they can't make a heated seat that works right!?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

i cud really give 2shts bout the engine if the car dont work... german cars are worth leasing, not buying in my opinion

or buy em for a few yrs and then get rid of em
Old 11-11-2002, 08:19 PM

SEARCH!!!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Racer

If this is all true why the hell do expensive cars have RWD and all new cars adapting to it? BMW, G35, and many other cars..
There has to be advantages to RWD..
Are you saying that people that own a 330i just walk to work in snow? LOL I mean they can drive and all right?

ONE QUICK QUESTION: whats the diff between 4X4, 4WD, AWD THanks
To answer both your questions, starting with the AWD... 4x4 means a car capable of 4 wheel drive. 4WD means four wheel drive, usually defeatable in SUVs. AWD is an always on, all 4 wheels traction car/truck.

As per RWD vs FWD.. well FWD is first cheaper to manufacture and to repair. The driveshaft doesn't extend down the length of the car and thus rarely takes damage (though nowadays RWD cars don't either).

RWD's main benefit is that it causes power-on oversteer. That means, that when you hit a curve hard, and give it gas, your rear end is going to FLY out. The benefit to this is in the hands of a skillful driver it can be used to cut lap times when racing. However for those not familiar with RWD or not comfortable it can also be a dangerous situation if you're going a tad too fast (which we all do from time to time hehe).

Anyhoo, I'm personally getting a RWD car because I think I'm ready for one. I've driven quite a few of them and at this point while I'm no expert I do need a new car, and something more sporty than utilitarian like the Millenia and Maxima that I have now. While they are nice cars and all, they don't fulfill what I want in a car. Everybody's different though, and if you aren't keen in beating on your car once in a while, then RWD probably isn't for you.

That said though, the TL is one of the best handling FWD cars made, and it's a blast to drive (given the right tires hehe). It's also got great power and good steering feedback, looks classy and seats 5 comfortably. RWD cars for the same money will be smaller. Specially when you consider the G35, which is put together like junk, but it does have good handling. Personally I couldn't settle getting a G35 only because it's a tad cheapy on the interior build quality and hey.. that's where you spend most of your time! The TL while a tad on the plain side, has much better feel to the plastics as well as a pretty darn good stereo
Old 11-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with Hercules comments above - but you also want a good family and racing car?!? In this case, I would recommend RWD, but note Hercules' comments about the disadvantages of RWD if you go too fast into a turn & driving in snow. Therefore if you do opt for the RWD car, make sure you take some advanced driving courses so that you can handle a RWD properly (especially drifting). Good luck!
Old 11-12-2002, 01:49 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by patrick
make sure you take some advanced driving courses so that you can handle a RWD properly (especially drifting). Good luck!
$hit THAT BAD? Are you serious I actually have to take courses to use a RWD Car? What is it again that RWD is bad for? If I turn around a corner it will turn too much or what?? and why is this because the power is from rear tires?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:19 AM
Racer

$hit THAT BAD? Are you serious I actually have to take courses to use a RWD Car? What is it again that RWD is bad for? If I turn around a corner it will turn too much or what?? and why is this because the power is from rear tires?
It's a good idea to. If you take a hard turn, you need to know how to countersteer the car with the throttle.. otherwise you have to stay off the gas completely on a turn which let's face it... ain't the most fun

I think in your case the TL is your best bet anyways.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Advanced

No offense, but my first car was a RWD, at 16 yrs old. It's really not a big deal. Yeah, it handles differently when you're hauling a$$ around the corner, but you just have to get a feel for it. The snow part can definetly become an issue and I often had to find other ways to get to my destinations when there was alot of snow.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's a good idea to. If you take a hard turn, you need to know how to countersteer the car with the throttle.. otherwise you have to stay off the gas completely on a turn which let's face it... ain't the most fun

I think in your case the TL is your best bet anyways.
2004TL, taking advanced driving course for RWD is only a suggestion. If you want to race, then that is my recommendation, coz if you start to slide sideways at high speeds into a corner, you are gonna want to know how to recover. If this is not your idea of racing, then yes, go with Hercules' suggestion and get the TL with FWD. But before you do, do a search on the Internet and download video clips of RWD cars drifting into turns (they slide into a turn and go full throttle at the exit corner). This is what racing with RWD is all about (IMHO). Or alternatively, check your video store (or download from the Internet) this Japanese animation called "Initial D." It's all about street racing and drifting. Once you've seen it, you'll understand why RWD is the choice for people serious about performance/racing. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Race Director

THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS

I still dont get diff between 4X4, AWD and 4WD.

Are they all the same?
Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 PM
Racer

THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS

I still dont get diff between 4X4, AWD and 4WD.

Are they all the same?
Essentially yes..

4x4 refers to the TYPE of vehicle.. ala "a four wheeler".

4WD is a system that is defeatable like on SUVs.. push a button THEN you get 4 wheels turning.

AWD is on all the time, can't turn it off.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

I have driven my moms 2000 3.2TL-P for over a year now, and I got my 2002 BMW 330xi last January. I have to say, the TL is an exteremly nice car, I think its very reliable and comfortable to drive. Its also pretty sporty. It did pretty well in Toronto, ONT winters with just OEM all season tires. The BMW is also a very nice car, but in my opinion it is a lot more fun to drive. I donno how to explain it, but it feels a lot more different when Im driving my car vs. my moms car. But both cars are nice, but there is a HUGE difference. As for maintenance, they offer free 3 years (4 for 2003) maintenance on the cars, and the service oil change interval is 24,000km (so maintenance every year around) and it costs around $90 to do an oil change if you want to do it early. I had no problems with the car so far. AWD is really good for the winter. I use to have a 1995 Mercedes C280 and it was RWD with no traction control. I had all season tires on it at first and I made it through two winters with them. It wasnt that bad but it was a lot harder to drive in the winter. It would have been way better if I have gotten a set of good winter tires. So I guess what Im trying to say is that I think you should get the Acura, its reliable and comfortable to drive. Plus you can make it through probably with All Seasons. But I dont think RWD cars are that bad in the winter with proper winter tires, well AWD is a lot better.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally posted by PCVTEC
I have driven my moms 2000 3.2TL-P for over a year now, and I got my 2002 BMW 330xi last January. I have to say, the TL is an exteremly nice car, I think its very reliable and comfortable to drive. Its also pretty sporty. It did pretty well in Toronto, ONT winters with just OEM all season tires. The BMW is also a very nice car, but in my opinion it is a lot more fun to drive. I donno how to explain it, but it feels a lot more different when Im driving my car vs. my moms car. But both cars are nice, but there is a HUGE difference. As for maintenance, they offer free 3 years (4 for 2003) maintenance on the cars, and the service oil change interval is 24,000km (so maintenance every year around) and it costs around $90 to do an oil change if you want to do it early. I had no problems with the car so far. AWD is really good for the winter. I use to have a 1995 Mercedes C280 and it was RWD with no traction control. I had all season tires on it at first and I made it through two winters with them. It wasnt that bad but it was a lot harder to drive in the winter. It would have been way better if I have gotten a set of good winter tires. So I guess what Im trying to say is that I think you should get the Acura, its reliable and comfortable to drive. Plus you can make it through probably with All Seasons. But I dont think RWD cars are that bad in the winter with proper winter tires, well AWD is a lot better.
Actually the only RWD systems I like are the ones found in the BMW and in the Nissan Skyline GTR.

BMW has a RWD bias in their AWD systems, and keeps the car pretty balanced (47/53 i think), which makes it a great handler as well as pretty good in the winter.

The Skyline's AWD is the most advanced in the world. It's AWD on the launch and low speeds, but once you get up to high speeds the car shifts to full RWD! That's insane! :wow:

Anyhoo, if I was getting an AWD car I'd go with the BMW any day, because they are one of the ONLY companies to keep the car balanced. Audi's AWD system is great but then look at the imbalance... 63/37.. eeek.. :yack:
Old 11-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

I always hear mixed things about the AWD systems on different cars, but the Skyline sounds insane!! thats wicked! the BMW is 38% front and 62% rear I think. Its not bad, very good in winter. Im sure all the AWDs out there have their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by PCVTEC
I always hear mixed things about the AWD systems on different cars, but the Skyline sounds insane!! thats wicked! the BMW is 38% front and 62% rear I think. Its not bad, very good in winter. Im sure all the AWDs out there have their strengths and weaknesses.
Yep, different AWD systems are created for different things.. The Subaru AWD system works on the same premise of Audi's, in that the idea is to keep superior traction at all times (thus they have a rally-sport heritage that goes way back).

However Nissan's AWD helps the Skyline be a MONSTER of a drag car in Japan.. the engine can get modded to 1000hp+. It's also a great track car because of the AWD shifting to RWD around high speed turns. If you're not an experienced driver and take the curve more slowly then you get AWD to help you out, and if you are a good driver and go through the curve fast, the GTR will let you carve the corner like a piece of cheese :P

The Skyline is the ONLY Nissan that I've liked.. interior is reminiscently Nissan from articles, but the car is very, very advanced. We'd be lucky to get it in the states but I don't see it selling very well... very expensive
Old 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Skyline is the ONLY Nissan that I've liked.. interior is reminiscently Nissan from articles, but the car is very, very advanced. We'd be lucky to get it in the states but I don't see it selling very well... very expensive
Yes, very expensive but worth every single penny! Not likely to come to North American continent unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:05 AM
BDI
Banned

I think you should go with an A4 Quattro. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:14 AM
Comptech Freak

y not go for a bimmer if u can afford one?? it's once a life time thing...enjoy while u can...

325 is already fun enough...for manual...

but if u reallie want more power...330 is gd...but pricy...
Old 11-14-2002, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

a4 quattro is actually slow and doesnt handle that well... i test drove it before gettin my TL and the G35 whooped on it in basically all regards, speed and handling... minus the braking

the 325 wudnt be a bad idea... waiting a year and then after BMW does it HP boost, u might have the 330 as the base engine so thatll be good news cuz itll be mad fast... imagine a 335i... HOT!!
Old 11-14-2002, 12:29 AM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
a4 quattro is actually slow and doesnt handle that well... i test drove it before gettin my TL and the G35 whooped on it in basically all regards, speed and handling... minus the braking

yes the 1.8T is slow stock but a $500 chip will put balls on that car. Did the A4 you test drove have the sports package?? IMO the car handles great...........made my old TL feel like shiet. I have no comment on the G35 sedan coz I think it's fugly........I don't care how great it performs..........it's just ugly. :p
Old 11-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Comptech Freak

where did u get that 335i from?
Old 11-14-2002, 12:38 AM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by samkws
where did u get that 335i from?
I think he was imagining.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:44 AM
Comptech Freak

they have a 3.5 V8 which has 235hp...but not in the US market....
Old 11-14-2002, 12:46 AM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by samkws
they have a 3.5 V8 which has 235hp...but not in the US market....

eh just get a 330 and supercharge that biatch!
Old 11-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by BDI
I think you should go with an A4 Quattro. Best of both worlds.
A car that weighs 3700lbs, smaller than the TL, and has a weight balance of 63/37? Even the TL isn't that bad.

No thanks, you can keep your Audi It might be quick chipped but let's face it.. it really isn't worth the price they advertise. Only BMW is, and that's STRECHIN it... 40k for a car that performs close to what the 30kers are doing.. I can't justify the extra 10k right now. Maybe when I'm rich
Old 11-14-2002, 02:49 AM
Instructor

I have to defend the Audi here. I recently switched from my TL to the A4 1.8t CVT. For $500 more with a chip the car will out perform the 3.0 A4. The handling is 100 times better than the TL and the build quality is incredible. I haven't had any rattles or squeeks, and not to mention the free scheduled maintenance including brake pads. I couldn't wait any longer to see the 04 TL so I had to make a choice and the A4 is by far the best alternative at this point in time.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:45 AM
Comptech Freak

for those who buys audi but quattro are dumb dumb...

i can pay 5000 less to just get the Jetta 1.8T with 10 more horsepower and 17in wheels, REAL leather seats rather than cloth or fake leather that in A4...

they are basically the same~

Quick Reply: TL - 330i - G35