Tinting the new TLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 01:49 PM

Post Tinting the new TLS

I've got a black TLS and thinking about tinting it to 50%. TL comes with about 20% tint but I guess it's too light to protect the backseat leather from sunfade. What do you guys think? Anyone did it? Does it look great? I saw a white one with 80% tint, and it's bueatiful.

Oh BTW, can/shall I get the front window tinted as well(leaving a quarter in front for rear mirror)?

Casual
Old 04-03-2001, 02:31 PM
The "old" guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.....cant tint over 35% in Indiana. I had 35% added to my black TL-S. Here is a link if you want to see it.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12281549&f=0
Old 04-03-2001, 02:49 PM

Hi Indy,

Your car looks cool, man! I have exactly the same color choice. Looks like you tinted your front window as well. I heard it's not legal to tint the front window in california.
Old 04-03-2001, 03:12 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey casualwalk, I thought tint was the other way. Isn't the % in tint is how much visibility you have through it. So when you say 20% tint, that is very dark. So 43% tint is lighter than 35% tint. I think I understand it the way your are saying it but then I looked at Indyjenks' pics, I have to think of it the way I thought it was before, the lower the number, the darker the tint.

Can someone please clear this up?

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 04-03-2001, 03:16 PM
The "old" guy

Originally posted by casualwalk:
Hi Indy,

Your car looks cool, man! I have exactly the same color choice. Looks like you tinted your front window as well. I heard it's not legal to tint the front window in california.
Nope...didnt tint the front, probably just looks that way in the pics.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:11 PM

Indy, I did some research, people said you can put clear ones on the windshield, to block the UV. Did you rear window is done in one piece or two? Does it interfere with the rear window defroster or the antenna? I wonder if the defronster lines will burn the tint coating... And, how much does it cost you?
Old 04-03-2001, 07:49 PM
Instructor

I tinted my Comaro Z-28 with an expensive Titanium film. It was very effective, but screwed up my AM radio reception which as you know is very low band. It could affect your Nav system if you use this kind of tint even though the Nav system operates in the microwave range. I just bought a new TL-type S 2 weeks ago with Nav and love the car. I do not plan on adding any tint. My TL-s is spirited, but the Z-28 with 6spd. will kick it ass any day. Getting great mileage 26.5 average..The Nav system will even give you Altitude readings.

Old 04-03-2001, 07:58 PM

I have titanium tint in my silver TL-S no problems yet...
Old 04-04-2001, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Yes tint is the opposite. When you give a tint % that means the amount of light let in on the car. So I had an integra that was tinted 30% on driver/passenger door and rear with DARKER 20% tint on the rear windows. I also had a front window banner added that was "LIMO" black. This correlates to 5%. I hope this info helps. Oh, and yes the TL-S gets tinted next month when I drive it to Arizona for a vacation.

------------------

AEM Cold Air Intake,H&R Springs,Comptech Exhaust
vtecracer1@home.com
Old 04-04-2001, 07:40 AM
The "old" guy

Smile

Indy, I did some research, people said you can put clear ones on the windshield, to block the UV. Did you rear window is done in one piece or two? Does it interfere with the rear window defroster or the antenna? I wonder if the defronster lines will burn the tint coating... And, how much does it cost you?

I have heard of the clear but didnt do it. The film I put on is non metallic for the very reasons cited above...wont interfere with radio/nav system and shouldnt have any problem with the rear defroster. I've had other tinting over defrosters without any problems. I think it makes my car look a lot nicer...black with dark windows....
Oh yeah...forgot to add....had it done for 135 bucks and the rear window was done in 1 piece.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Indyjenks on April 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I just posted info on tints in this post. Vtec Racer is right, and Edub-Tl is almost there. The Tl does not come with a 20% tint, maybe a 95% tint or something as its barley even noticeable
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000649.html

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 04-04-2001, 06:30 PM

I will pick up my car from the tint shop this afternoon and can also confirm vtecracer. (I suppose Moderator Hyde doesn't require confirmation?)

I am getting 50% on the front sides and 35% on the rear sides and rear. I hope the contrast is adequate for a quick glance by the CHP as no less than 70% is legal for the front.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:19 PM

Thank you for answering the percentage question, guys!

tlsDave, this is interesting. There is a webpage list state laws for car tint, california does not allow any tint on front and windshield. Since you from California, you must have different information as I do? Or how do you plan to avoid CHP with 50% front window tint? I am planning to use clear tint for front and windshielf. Anyone has done the same thing?

Casual
Old 04-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by tlsdave:
(I suppose Moderator Hyde doesn't require confirmation?)
LOL
Thats Flattering tlsdave, but being a mod doesnt mean I know everything, Im a regualr guy just like everyone else here, and Yes I make mistakes and post wrong on occasion.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 04-04-2001, 10:20 PM
Racer

Causal,

I live in Orange county and I know SD get frekin hot in the summer too man. I say F**k it man. It's going to be hot in the summer and I think the half tint thing don't look good. I (with hands down) like the all around tint Just think of it this way when you get a ticket you saving your seats O yeah and plus in california you don't get a fixing ticket no more so I recommend rolling down the windows in the sumer hehe and eat the dust

Mr.T

Thank you for answering the percentage question, guys!

tlsDave, this is interesting. There is a webpage list state laws for car tint, california does not allow any tint on front and windshield. Since you from California, you must have different information as I do? Or how do you plan to avoid CHP with 50% front window tint? I am planning to use clear tint for front and windshielf. Anyone has done the same thing?

Casual
Old 04-04-2001, 11:18 PM

casualwalk:

The tint man (with 20 years experience) said only 70% tint is legal in CA for the front. I did not confirm this. I HOPE to avoid the CHP because of the apparent contrast between front and back. I'm told that police here in the desert generally look the other way because they understand the practicallity of tint.

Note that many windows have some factory tint, not clear glass, so some tint must be legal.

Would you kindly direct us to the web page mentioned? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:38 PM
Racer

Unhappy

I've called the California Highway Patrol, and was told that no tinting whatsoever is legal in Ca. The 70% is only if you have a note from your eye doc, but then of course it's illegal to drive your car at night they say.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:50 PM

Yet, our windows do have some tint right off the showroom floor, no?

------------------
The last 2002 I owned was a tii (license plate 72BMUU)
Old 04-05-2001, 01:07 PM
Banned

Someone had asked for a site that lists state laws regarding tinting (might have been another thread).

Anyway, I found this site:
http://www.autowindowtintings.com/main.cfm?action=laws

Mike
Old 04-05-2001, 01:10 PM

This is not an official site, but you can get the info I mentioned:
http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

That's way I am interested in putting on the clear tint.
Old 04-05-2001, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the site info. I looked at CA and OR. With 35% all the way around (except windshield) I will just tell the CHP that I thought I was still in Oregon! Then he'll probably ask "then why the sunglasses?".
Old 04-05-2001, 07:16 PM
what?

Question

Got a q about tinting...

My car doesn't have it's own house so I thought that I might get tinting to help preserve the leather..

Here's the rub: I have 2 kids who ride in the back. How easy is it for them to mess with it? They are small and have their hands on everything.

I'm already wiping it down everyday from their foot marks..I don't want to pay for the tint and have them be able to peel it off....

BTW - my husband borrowed my ride today to go to work - he was doing 105 up rt 495 during rush hour...... but he gave it back because he said that he would get an ulcer parking it in the tight parking lot everyday....

help on tinting is much appreciated!

Leslie
Old 04-05-2001, 08:43 PM
Racer

Some Peeps,

Don't believe me No tinting Period and there is no fixing ticket no more you get the fine and you must remove the tint tl-d
Old 04-05-2001, 09:27 PM

Oh, oh. Do you know the amount of the fine?
Old 04-05-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro

When I got my TL tinted last month, my tint guy told me it was okay to tint the rear and rear sides. It is illegal to tint the front and front sides, so he offered to use clear UV film for front sides. He also has a TL, and said he tinted 35% all the way around. Said as long as you don't give the cops an excuse to pull you over, they won't hassle you with that degree of tint (unless of course you are under 25).
Old 04-05-2001, 11:45 PM

For you guys who got the car tint, how much you paid for it? Any more importantly, what type of film did you use? The dealer recommended shop told me that he will use clear and front and DTI(TDI?) Charcol, non-metallic for the back and rear, I don't know if that's a good film. The cost will be around $150.
Old 04-06-2001, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Lightbulb

I got a 10% titanium tint, which is the darkest next to the limo tint. Its the solar guard hp titianium film. Solar guard is suppose to be one of the best tinting film out there. To tell you the truth, I cant tell between a regular charcoal tint to the titanium except for the price difference as far as looks goes. Titanium suppose to have unique characteristics. I wish I would have choose the Solar Guard quantum tint...Its a mirror like tint that looks awesome. It cost about $165 at my local shop, too bad I already got the titanium tint.

------------------
99' Taffeta White TL

Fosgate Power 800a2
Two 10" Hx2
E750s Lanzar Preamp
Titanium Tint
Old 04-06-2001, 12:03 PM
Instructor

I got medium titanium tint. I think it is considered 50%. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3088&f=0&vt=vp

------------------
'02 Satin Silver TL-S w/ NAV
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 04-06-2001, 01:14 PM

I wonder if they need to peal of the 95% tint from factory before they put on the new tint?
Old 04-06-2001, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if they need to peal of the 95% tint from factory before they put on the new tint?
We have that heat rejecting green glass in our cars from the factory. I had my TL tinted last year with 51% shatter block non metalic tint. I got this because here in DC. we have stupid laws.
I will have to take my car thru Inspection every 2yrs. They check for tint on windows.
I will have to take it off the 4 side windows. The back I probaly can slip thru.
The police don't mess with cars like mine the tint is to light.Cars from Maryland & Virgina drive in DC. all the time with tint.
The part thing that I don't like is that SUVs & Mini Vans can have darker factory tint. The only thing they can't have it on the driver& front passenger window.I don't go thru my fist Inspection until March of 2002 so I will take the tint off &get it put back on after that. I had to do this with my 94 Accord.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FTM-1 on April 06, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-06-2001, 05:34 PM
Acura TL-S

no, the factory tint is not applied to the windows, its built in as one of the layers...

and also... if you do get pulled over one thing you can do is turn on the interior lights... part of the reason they dont like dark tint is because the dont see whats going on... so the cop never knows when the window will roll down and he'll be staring at the barrell of a gun... this way he can see inside and can relax a little... and if its summer, just put all the windows down before u've completely pulled over....

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs / Comptech Headers
------------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers / 20% Tint all-around

-------------
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 04-06-2001, 05:51 PM

You are right, I just found out that the factory tint is built in, not removable. BTW, Llumar film dealer claims that their metallicized film doesn't affect radio and they have a 85% tint which is legal for CA front window and they have the document to prove it. I called CHP, the guy told me "Nadda". Wierd. I don't think the tint guy is lying because I called two and get exact the same word. Llumar is top of the line tint film, right? Comments?