Tinted TailLights Anyone?? - POST LOCKED

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tinted TailLights Anyone??

Hi everyone. I drive a Passat. But I am also a fan of the TL. I would have bought the TL over the Passat but I didn't fit very well in the TL. Not enough headroom for me. But I sure do love this car. And thats why I am here. I tint taillights. Basically looking to see if anyone here has any interest in getting it done on their car. I haven't done any TL's yet but if you want to see what I am talking about, I have tinted my cars tails and several others as well. Everyone loves them. Not one complaint. I think it will look great on a TL.

These are the stock lights off a Passat

These are how they look after I tint them, notice how shiny, glossy and even it looks.

This is how they look with the lights on, there is only a slight slight decrese in light output.

Here is one more shot from a different angle

If anyone is interested, please post here.

Thanks

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:06 AM
Pro

Re: Tinted TailLights Anyone??

Is that legal?????

Originally posted by JonBoy
Hi everyone. I drive a Passat. But I am also a fan of the TL. I would have bought the TL over the Passat but I didn't fit very well in the TL. Not enough headroom for me. But I sure do love this car. And thats why I am here. I tint taillights. Basically looking to see if anyone here has any interest in getting it done on their car. I haven't done any TL's yet but if you want to see what I am talking about, I have tinted my cars tails and several others as well. Everyone loves them. Not one complaint. I think it will look great on a TL.

These are the stock lights off a Passat

These are how they look after I tint them, notice how shiny, glossy and even it looks.

This is how they look with the lights on, there is only a slight slight decrese in light output.

Here is one more shot from a different angle

If anyone is interested, please post here.

Thanks

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

I would imagine that it would depend upon which state your in but in NY, this is legal. The bulbs still glow with the approriate colors and thats what is it important. Also even after I tint them, you can still see the red when they are in the sunlight. And only when the sun is not shining on it do they look this black.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by JonBoy
I would imagine that it would depend upon which state your in but in NY, this is legal. The bulbs still glow with the approriate colors and thats what is it important. Also even after I tint them, you can still see the red when they are in the sunlight. And only when the sun is not shining on it do they look this black.
I think you are legally required to have red reflectors in your taillights for visibility. Although they're still in there under the tint, I doubt they'll be very effective.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

Daverman,

No question the red reflectiveness is limited by the tint. However the light still shines through virtually as well as before. I would say about a 5-10% decrease in light. The pics I have are with the car either in the garage or out at dusk. When the sun shines on the lights you still see the red reflectors. And that is part of the appeal about these lights.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Drifting

i know it's illegal in CT, just ask my friend, he got screwed when he was pulled over.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

is it leagla in FL ?
Old 07-11-2001, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Like I said before, it would depend on state I suppose.

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago in NY because I was using blue bulbs in my corners lights. I just came from a car show and forgot to change them. My stupid luck. I got tickets for the blue bulbs and the cop looked at my taillights because he wanted to see if I changed those bulbs as well. He told me to step on the brake, I did and he had no problem with them.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Cruisin'

I forgot to mention that the pics I have are of my car and yes they are dark. I can do it lighter if you want. I can also do it darker to the point where it is pitch black. I think what I have is a happy median. But if I make it lighter, you will still see dark but the red reflectiveness will be more apparent.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

I dont really know if there legal in my state or not but if they are I'd get them done from you. I'll ask my uncle tonight cause he's a cop.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I live in NC. When I first got my clear tails for my old Eclipse, I asked a policeman about the color of taillights. He response was that as long a they light up red then its legal. He even told me that he was admiring them. This type of tint looks no different than the taillights on a Mazda RX-7 that have this look from the factory and it will still light up red. Are they illegal? Just my two cents!!!
Old 07-11-2001, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Chigg this is what I heard as well. The color of the bulb is what is important.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 09:54 AM
Instructor

how much is it anyway?
Old 07-11-2001, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Jon, the tint does look good! Good work!!! If my TL was black, I would tint mine.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

The cost is $75 plus shipping. I have seen aftermarket places charging between $100 and $150 for this same type of service plus you still have to pay shipping from them. Plus there is a longer turn around time with those places. So that is why I am doing this. Because I spend some time on my lights to learn how to do it. And I have done several other cars as well (all Passats) and they all love them.

Turn around time is about 3 days and shipping will cost about $25 for next day each way. That is what it has been costing to ship my previous customers tails.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Chigg thank you.

Hey don't let the black car stop you from tinting them. You could have one mean looking ride if you tinted your tails on your black TL. I am hoping to have some pics from one of my other customers by the end of the week and he has a black Passat. he said to me on the phone that they are awesome looking on a black Passat. I would think they would look great on a black TL as well. Hey but to each his/her own opinion.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Jon, My TL is White Diamond, I think the 2002 tails will look better on white. But thanks anyway.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

Your welcome
Old 07-11-2001, 01:06 PM
Instructor

JonBoy, what about durability? How long will it hold up because it's on the outside? Rain, sun chips, fading, etc. will surely affect it over time. BTW, the Passat looks great. I was trying to buy one but it was too much in demand at the time, so I couldn't get the price I wanted.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Well I have had my taillights tinted for over 2 months now and I am not exagerating but they look as good as the day I did them. No chips, no fading and no other blemishes. I wash them with the car the same way I did before. I just don't wipe as hard. And every show that I have been too with my car and GTG, everyone is touchy feely with the lights and again no damage. If for some reason the lights chip which would only happen if something hit it, they can always be redone.

Jon
Old 07-11-2001, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

that is illegal. you need at least 8 sq cm of red showing even when the lights arnt lit.

they look good though

do you paint them or put film over them? pretty expensive
Old 07-11-2001, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am not exactly down witha full tint but I have seen a BMW 5-series with red brake lights and tinted signals. What I really liked was that when he signaled, they were a perfect crisp, bright yellow. Tell me if and how I can do that, and you might have a deal.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:32 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anyway to take this stuff off? It's like spray paint right?
Old 07-12-2001, 07:42 AM
Instructor

I think he is just using Testor Transparent Black Window Tint which is only $3.29 a can !!! What a mark up !!!

Is this what you are using ???
Old 07-12-2001, 08:10 AM
Cruisin'

If you want only part of the light tinted, we can do that. Not a big deal. You would just have to tell me how dark and what you want to be done when you send me your lights.

This tint can be removed by using alcohol and lots of elbow grease. I have removed tint a couple of times and the lenses are not effected. Once the tint is removed the lense will look stock again.

I am not using Testors. I am using a polycarbonate spray that is more money and also of better quality. You may think I am marking up big time, but this is 5-6 hour process minimum. It takes lots of prep work. I don't just spray them put them back in the box and ship them back to you. I have a whole process that I use on every light I tint. And that is why I get a durable, shiny glossy finish. I don't want you guys to think I am pulling a fast one here. I have spent alot of time getting the process down pat. And I feel that the price is fair considering the amount of time I have to put into each light.

Jon
Old 07-12-2001, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Hey JonBoy,

Appreciate your post. However we have a rule here that we don't allow anyone to market their services on our site.

There are some liability issues with doing that on this site. There have also been some instances where people have been burned from so-called reputable retailers.

Sorry, but this link will be locked.