Thoughts on TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 02:25 PM

Post Thoughts on TL

I've been doing some research for my old man who's buying a car soon. He was looking at MBZ and BMWs mostly and didn't really want a Japanese car after the horrible Accord my brother had...total of $3000 in repairs in a yr before it was traded. For the hell of it I decided to see what Acura had to offer. I was amazed at how much the TL had in options for the price of it. It's comperable to a $35,000 BMW. I've already done quite a bit of research on the TL and from what the owners say they love it. So what are some pros + cons of it? Repairs? How much did you pay? Thanks for any feedback.

------------------
Old 02-02-2001, 04:24 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Japanese cars=Reliability + Prestige (somewhat)
German cars=Prestige + Sportier handling

Your brother's Accord might have been a lemon. Should of reported the car and get your money back.

IMO, if you want really good reliability, go Japanese. They last forever and maintenance is way cheaper.

I have a 99TL with 45K and not a single major problem. Yeah little problems here and there but nothing major.

Before my TL I had a 88 Accord with 195K on it and still running good. I sold it to a friend of mine and now he has over 250K on it with no problems. You definitely can't get this kind of reliability from a German car.
Old 02-02-2001, 04:39 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, TL is kickass. My parents have a E320 and paid about $50K for it. They think my TL is just as nich as their car.

TL all the way, best bang for the buck.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 02-02-2001, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the TL. I have it for a year and a half and VERY pleased with it.
Old 02-02-2001, 05:57 PM
Racer

Don't forget the awesome navigation system. Make sure the dealer gives you a proper demo of the nav.

TL's are a great value. We love ours.

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 02-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Racer

Sorry; you asked for pros and cons.

Pros:
Smooth, fast, understated. Great nav, great value. LOADED. Reliable, reliable, reliable.

Cons (none of these are cons in my book, but...):
Lesser prestige than MB's or BMW's. No stick. No RWD.

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 02-02-2001, 11:43 PM

Well it's for my dad. He's the type that....doesn't drive a flashy car. He loves the conservate look so this car is perfect. The Buffalo auto show is next week so we'll have a good chance to compaire everything side by side. Right now I'd say the TL is out front. This is the only board where I haven't had any major negative replies about a car.

------------------
Old 02-03-2001, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, BMW's are classically known for very high maintenance costs... Plus their repair likelyhood is a lot higher. Acura does their homework and then some when it comes to making these cars relaible and keeping maintenance costs as low as possible. To add a little note to the mileage, my dealership has atleast one customer with a Legend (1st gen) that has over 400k miles!!!!! That's some serious mileage. And, it's his commuter car, and it's never left him stranded, no major repairs, just maintenance...
Old 02-03-2001, 03:13 AM
Burning Brakes

the TL compares higher than a 35k bimmer.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 02-03-2001, 04:35 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, unlike other people here, I had lots of problems with this car. But I guess I am one of the rare cases.

Pro...

It's fast, a good value, comfortable, and I think it looks better than most cars out there IMHO.

Con...

Breaks (an upgrade is a MUST, and I am serious!!!) That crapy brake can kill you in rain or snow!

Tire, the stock tires sucks as well.

Lots of quality issues with my car. Like noise, rattle. I get the "engine malfunction indicator light" on all the time. It sometimes will turn off the TCS as well. Have trouble start during the winter. AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT THIS PROBLEM!!!

The f/r weight distribution is like 63/37. I think the front is 900lb hevier then the rear. That means the car will duct like crazy when you brake HARD, and will never handle like a Bimemr or IS300. But I don't think your old folk will push the car that hard.

Not trying to scare you away from the TL, but I just give you all the worse things that can happen to the TL. Acura still can't fix the Engine Check Light issue. So, if you got a lemon, that's it.

Honestly I love my car, and I think you get what you paid for. It's like you pay more for the IS300 because you get better handling, the lexus name, but a more compact car. But compare the IS to the Bimmer, the IS300 is a really good value.

so it all depends on how you look at it. I personally won't buy an Acura again, because I had enough with the dealer. But I am VERY SURE that those trouble free owners and even myself LOVE OUR TL!!!
Old 02-03-2001, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

AcuraTl posts:
Yeah, TL is kickass. My parents have a E320 and paid about $50K for it. They think my TL is just as nich as their car.
TL all the way, best bang for the buck.

Ditto. My father never agrees with any thing I buy. I was shocked when he said my car handled better and was more comfortable than his E320.

------------------
1999 Firepepper Red TL
  • Under Body Kit
  • Rear Wing Spoiler
  • 26 Piece Wood Grain Console
  • BurlWood Shift Knob
  • 30% Smoke Tint
Pics of My TL
Old 02-03-2001, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Yep, TL is the best buy out there. I was first going to get a 528i about two or three years old, but the TL was nicer, more comfortable and faster. Not to mention that I could get it brand-new for less.

The E320 is nice, too, but costs even more and has a sporty ride that some might consider non-luxurious and harsh.

The Lexus (ES, GS) cost more and are slower and not as cool looking inside, although the Lexus has the quietest interior second to none.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible (SOLD)
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 02-04-2001, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by SHOTIME:
I've been doing some research for my old man who's buying a car soon. He was looking at MBZ and BMWs mostly and didn't really want a Japanese car after the horrible Accord my brother had...total of $3000 in repairs in a yr before it was traded. For the hell of it I decided to see what Acura had to offer. I was amazed at how much the TL had in options for the price of it. It's comperable to a $35,000 BMW. I've already done quite a bit of research on the TL and from what the owners say they love it. So what are some pros + cons of it? Repairs? How much did you pay? Thanks for any feedback.

I think your brother got stuck with a lemon. Even though it was an Accord, it sometimes happens. My 1990 Accord EX has over 180K on it, still drives like a champ. I have put some money into it recently, but at this age and mileage, its to be expected. My '01 3.2TL w/ Navi cost me about $1,000 below list. It is a great car. Another suggestion, is the 3.5RL. It usually goes for several grand below list and is also a great car, rides smoothly, nearly silently. I don't think your dad would go wrong with either one. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:03 PM

Well I went out and test drove one on Sat. DAMN!!!! This is the best all round car I've ever driven, and I've driven most every car out there. I can't believe how fast these are! I was so impressed I might even take one of the Type S's in a couple years. I wish my old man would but he's not the sport car type. I think we'll have a TL in our driveway next month.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I like, I like!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?