Thoughts on purchasing 6MT swapped TL-P

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on purchasing 6MT swapped TL-P

I'm looking to see if there are any knowledgeable vetrans here that can help me with this decision.

The vehicle for sale is a '99 TL with:
-J32A2 swap
-6MT from 04 TL

Here's the rundown on what is done for the swap:
-Richie module
-02 TL-S ECU
-02 TL-S harness
-02 TL-S cluster (currently using the original TL-P cluster)

The issues that the car has right now are numerous:
Electrical:
-VSC, ABS, CEL, and SRS lights are on the cluster
-Speed signal not present
-Code reader shows Coolant temp sensor fault. (ECU side, as the gauge works)
-Haven't used the tester that was present before, but it also flashes:
-secondary 02
-EGR
-EVAP
Mechanical:
-Idle bounces erratically (likely vaccuum leak, but could be wrong)
-This is really weird: The shifter shifts the wrong way! ie. 1st is to the left and DOWN, 2nd is up, 3rd is middle and DOWN, etc etc. Reverse is to the very right and UP

Now, I do have full access to a repair facility, but I don't want to get into something that may be a total sh!t show. I believe that cars have souls and that nothing should be wasted, but at the same time, if it's going to cost me thousands in parts to get this thing up to spec, I don't want to get into it.

Let me know your thoughts on whether I should breathe some new life into this car.

It's really sad to hear and see this thing sitting for about 2 years, left to rot in somebodies apartment complex parking lot.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
No don't buy that. He fucked up the install. With the Richie Module, there should be no CEL. The car should be pretty much fully functional with a lack of VCS if he used Richie's module and a 02 TL-S ECU.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I Would Say; DEPENDS ON PRICE!
Cuz he has alot of Expensive Stuff right there, Even if he Fuckd Up the Install he already has like a 4.5K Worth of Parts (J32A2 + 6MT + Alot of Swap Parts) So you just need to fix some Random Things..

That Said if your not a DIYer Kind of Person; STAY MILES AWAY.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
a car parked for 2 years is going to need a water pump- belts- hoses- etc
as well as the fuel contamination issues from hygroscopic action during long sitting

if you want a TL that badly, see the top part of any page here= USED CARS
thats `members only` selling,,not outside persons or dealers
meaning you can look up their previous post and know about the cars probs,,fixes etc
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
All sound like easy things to fix, and all the hard work has been done. If the price is right i would. Just need to figure out the wiring for the richie module to correct the issues and fix the shifter cables (probably installed wrong)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's cheap I would definitely get it. The mechanical things would be a breeze to fix. The electrical things seem like they would be the most time consuming, but not too bad. If Richie's module was installed improperly (and it sounds like it easily could've been) then it might have been damaged itself, which in the worst case you would need to shell out $500 for a new one. Even if it was damaged though Rich could probably help you with fixing it instead of getting a new one. There is also the possibility of the wire harnesses not being installed properly as well. Just a matter of going through it all and making sure it's all hooked up right.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM
VIP TL

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
if its the one im thinking about in calgary, dont buy ot so he eventually parts it out lol, i want parts from it but he wont part it!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry hung_lo i have decided to keep the car and fix it up at my buddy's shop thanks for the interested =)

cdn_rider i would not part out the car at anytime since i spent so much time and money in it.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM
VIP TL

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
damn you!!! part it outttt!!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
would have been nice to know it was a ziner car to start with~
Good you have motivated the owner into fixing it!

Note: the stuff about 2 years sitting being bad- its real, and will contribute to probs-- old old fuel has need to be drained and/or seafoam the bageezus out of it! (2oz per gal fuel thru two tankfuls or half tanks)
the injectors and rails need a good cleaning anyway, that will get the pistons and intake valves too

same applies to oil, drain and refill before running engine,,or if already running add 1/2 can seafoam -run 15-30 minutes (as able) and change oil and filter
the buildup in there is unreal

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-25-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor

No i hate parting it out lol. hopefully i will have it all fix up before June.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
would have been nice to know it was a ziner car to start with~
Good you have motivated the owner into fixing it!

Note: the stuff about 2 years sitting being bad- its real, and will contribute to probs-- old old fuel has need to be drained and/or seafoam the bageezus out of it! (2oz per gal fuel thru two tankfuls or half tanks)
the injectors and rails need a good cleaning anyway, that will get the pistons and intake valves too

same applies to oil, drain and refill before running engine,,or if already running add 1/2 can seafoam -run 15-30 minutes (as able) and change oil and filter
the buildup in there is unreal
thanks for the input and i already plan to replace the fuel pump, and all the gaskets and flush all the fluids. car gonna be tow to my buddy's shop

actually car only been sitting for 15 months
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
If you removed the driver's seat during the swap, chances are your SRS light was triggered from it. Do the SRS reset DIY and that should get rid of that light, otherwise you have a bigger problem.

As far as the erratic idle, when I did my swap, I forgot to plug in the ELD. Chances are, if you removed the under the hood fuse box, that'll cause some CELs and erratic idles. Here's what I'm talking about.

This plug

goes here

As far as your shifter issues, I think there was something special that had to be done with the transmission for those that use the TL models. (I used a CL transmission so I didn't have this problem).

I haven't addressed my ABS light quite yet.

are the speed sensors connected on the transmission?

As far as sitting goes, like the above have mentioned the fluids need to be refreshed, but if it's been sitting outside, much more problems. I was stupid and mine sat for a while and ruined my Rotora rotors. I'm just now getting around to replacing them.

Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by assclown
If you removed the driver's seat during the swap, chances are your SRS light was triggered from it. Do the SRS reset DIY and that should get rid of that light, otherwise you have a bigger problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4ds8ae9tM

As far as the erratic idle, when I did my swap, I forgot to plug in the ELD. Chances are, if you removed the under the hood fuse box, that'll cause some CELs and erratic idles. Here's what I'm talking about.

This plug

goes here

As far as your shifter issues, I think there was something special that had to be done with the transmission for those that use the TL models. (I used a CL transmission so I didn't have this problem).

I haven't addressed my ABS light quite yet.

are the speed sensors connected on the transmission?

As far as sitting goes, like the above have mentioned the fluids need to be refreshed, but if it's been sitting outside, much more problems. I was stupid and mine sat for a while and ruined my Rotora rotors. I'm just now getting around to replacing them.

Best of luck!
thanks for those info im not sure about the srs since mine is 99 and doesnt have side air bags.

yes the speed sensor for the transmission isnt connect to the module and its a easy fix.

im also planning to replace all the suspension parts including all the brake line, rotors, pads.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by hung_lo
I'm looking to see if there are any knowledgeable vetrans here that can help me with this decision.

The vehicle for sale is a '99 TL with:
-J32A2 swap
-6MT from 04 TL

Here's the rundown on what is done for the swap:
-Richie module
-02 TL-S ECU
-02 TL-S harness
-02 TL-S cluster (currently using the original TL-P cluster)

The issues that the car has right now are numerous:
Electrical:
-VSC, ABS, CEL, and SRS lights are on the cluster
-Speed signal not present
-Code reader shows Coolant temp sensor fault. (ECU side, as the gauge works)
-Haven't used the tester that was present before, but it also flashes:
-secondary 02
-EGR
-EVAP
Mechanical:
-Idle bounces erratically (likely vaccuum leak, but could be wrong)
-This is really weird: The shifter shifts the wrong way! ie. 1st is to the left and DOWN, 2nd is up, 3rd is middle and DOWN, etc etc. Reverse is to the very right and UP

For 99 TL you should use 99 harness an just change out speed sensor. The 99 speed sensor is only 2 pin connection an 00-03 are 3 pin. Also reason why your temp not working is b/c you need tap into engine just like Accord have to get temp reading right.

Here what i did:

For The shifter shifts it maybe cause your using wrong shifter pin . The 04-06 TL tranny is to right the CL an correct pin is the one to far left.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear that you will be finishing the project.

Car is definitely worth it for the parts, but time constraints and lack of familiarity of the project make me weary.

If you change your mind, let me know.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Shoulda kept quiet man!