for those of you that have teins..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 01:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face for those of you that have teins..

ok. this is all about ride quality, and noise.

i have a 03 tls and used to have a eclipse gst with a lowered ride eibach prokits with tockios. well the drop was only 1.4 inch and still i had camber problems and had horendous suspension noise going over speed bumps, and going up steep hills,etc...

well if i could get some exact serious reponses for those who have the same car as me with teins.. either you have the ss or ha etc... could you list what you have and what noises and ride quality compared to stock. Is there any difference and did you need a camber kit even if its i think about an 1 inch drop?

so finally if there is any difference compared to stock, i mean noise wise , i know its gonna be stiffer than stock but if theres a big difference then i will not be getting coilovers.

thanks for your time and responses..
Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Hi I have a new 4,000 miles 2003 type "S" I had the coil over teins put on and lowered the car 2" all round . Good ride , better cornering and overall handling . Also , since the back end doesn't have a tendecy to squat on take off I leave less rubber and get more GO...I had mine put on by an expert Honda technician who has a specilty shop..Took him about 2.5 hours ....No problem with castor . camber etc ..After 1,000 miles I had to gg back for an alignment ..a few turns of the rod ends ..presto done in 20 minuets ,, Would not trade my suspension for anything ......almost ( or maybe even better) as the factory sports suspension on my previous car which was a mercedes c 280 Sport ......
Old 09-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Banned

i got a 2003 tls with teins ss coilovers too. I had it on for about two years now. For the first year i had slammed all the way down and there was no noise from the suspension. The ride is really smooth. Later i put 19'rims and had to rise it 5 turns in the front and 10 turns in the rear. The ride is still smooth but came stiffer with the rims but still no noise.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:21 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i have tein SS coilovers on my 1999 TL and i love them. the ride is smooth even though the car is pretty low and i cant hear any noise comming from the suspension!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I've got a 2003 TL-S with Tein SS's and the EDFC. I have about a 1.75" drop on both front/rear (similar to the Comptech drop), and I have SPC Cambers in the front and rear.

Ride is nice and smooth at 16/16 (highest dampening level) ... great for highway cruising. Not quite as smooth as stock, but pretty close to it. At 8/8 the car handles nicely and still feels pretty smooth. At 4/4 the car gets pretty stiff, handles nicely but the ride becomes a little bone jarring. Even running the car at 0/0 (no dampening what-so-ever), the car still rides smoother than my S2000 with Eibach Pro springs.

If you're very concerned about the ride quality, I'd definitely consider getting the EDFC so you can adjust it to your liking.

Noise wise, I had a little bit of squeaking in the beginning from the rear passenger side. I sprayed it down with some silicone lubricant spray and I haven't heard a peep since. I do usually take the wheels off once a year and hose down the coilovers to try to reduce the amount of sand and dirt on the coilover and then after drying re-lube it with more silicone spray.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

How should I go about adjusting the dampening level? Turn it clockwise for a firmer setting, counter for softer?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

TEIN SS w/Pillowball on a '99 TL. A little noise for the first few days, but loosening and retightening (and then retightening again a couple days later for safety) quieted things right down. Like you, I had a 2nd Gen. Eclipse GSX. I installed the Ground Control coilovers with AGX shocks and was ushered into a world of rattles, clanks, and other horrible suspension noises. The handling was certainly nice enough, but my wife stopped riding with me completely after the conversion.

The TEIN setup is sweet and you'll never hear the difference from stock. Also, another shout out for the EDFC system which will allow you to tighten or soften the settings from the comfort of the driver's seat...

Dirk