For those who have cross drilled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:26 AM
FamusTLX

For those who have cross drilled/slotted rotors

Hey guys just had a local performance shop make me a pair of front cross drilled/slotted rotors for my 99TL. 114k km. I had them put on with a pair of monroe premium brake pads. However, I've ran into alot of problems since installation.

First of all, I paid $100 for each rotor and believe me when I say the quality is good, I mean its good (appearance wise anyway). There nice and shiny with zinc coating to prevent rusting. The problem is that they pulsate/worse than my cheap aftermarket rotors that I just took off. Its as if they're warp already. TRUST ME I KNOW WHEN ROTORS ARE WARP. i.e. my steering wheel shakes violently, as if its having seizers under high speed braking.

Not only that but b/c they are dirled I was also told afterwards that I will feel more of the road b/c of the air going through the drilled holes. IS THIS TRUE. It would make sense b/c it feels as if my car isn't as smooth as it use to be when I had the cheap rotors on. Can someone clarify if this is true, b/c if it is I want nothing to do with drilled rotors.

If anyone notice any other driving charchteristics about cross/drilled rotors then please let me know.
Old 08-08-2007 | 08:41 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

You had a speed shop drill holes and then zinc plate some stock or aftermarket rotors?
Drilling holes weakens, and differences in the zinc plating thickness would cause the pulsating. Why didn't you buy a pair of quality rotors designed to have holes?
The 'feel the road more' thing doesn't pass my BS filter.
Old 08-08-2007 | 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

thats the problem, you shouldnt have had them drilled. they wernt designed to be drilled
Old 08-08-2007 | 10:13 AM
FamusTLX

Originally Posted by 6spMike
You had a speed shop drill holes and then zinc plate some stock or aftermarket rotors?
Drilling holes weakens, and differences in the zinc plating thickness would cause the pulsating. Why didn't you buy a pair of quality rotors designed to have holes?
The 'feel the road more' thing doesn't pass my BS filter.
This isn't done by just any shop and I didn't by the rotors and get them alterned they came from a company called Xtreme Stop. Here the add they pictch.

Safety is our Priority. When it comes to braking, HIGH PERFORMANCE MEANS HIGH SAFTEY. Let our rotors do the performing so your seat belts and air bags don’t have to. We are the
BEST KEPT SECRET
In the automotive industry. We have been supplying auto parts for over 103 years since 1904. We are now selling our products direct to kijiji and there customers. We are proud of our brand of cross drilled rotors. Our rotors are high performance cross drilled and slotted. This is all done here in our Toronto warehouse. With our own in-house Engineers and the most advanced CNC equipment in North America. Our rotors are engineered to deliver race car performance in stopping
Here are some of reasons why to use our rotors.
Quality controlled to ensure each rotor meets and or exceeds OE standards. Precision drilled holes vent super heated gases eliminating brake fade. Precision milled slots maintain a clean pad surface, maximum grip and quiet stopping power. Improved braking in wet weather driving.
Every rotor is antirust protected with a bright Zinc Electroplating process.
Eliminates brake dust. Reduction of heat related stress eliminates warping. Prolongs rotor and pad life. Looks great on your vehicle
There are many cross drilled rotors on the market. Most are done by a drill that will compromise the fins in the rotors. We stand behind our rotors with a 6 MONTH WARRANTY. With our pads and rotors you will drive with confidence, without the noise or the worries of warping or brake fading.
OUR ROTORS ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ZINC AND OR NICKEL PLATED. CORROSION FREE. OUR TECHNICAL SUPERIORITY OVER OUR COMPETITOR'S PROCESS IS SIGNIFICANT.
WE GUARANTEE AGAINST CRACKS OR COMPROMISES TO THE ROTORS FIN STRUCTURE.
YOU WILL NOT GET A DEFECTIVE ROTOR WHEN DEALING WITH US.
NOTE... THESE ARE THE REAL ONES NOT WHAT MOST PEOPLE ARE SELLING OF CROSS DRILLED ROTORS THAT ARE HAND DRILLED
OUR ROTORS ARE BALANCED BY A MACHINE AND CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED THEN PLATED
OUR ROTORS ARE FOR THE DEMANDS THAT CAR RACERS OR FLEETS OR POLICE VEHEICLES. OR THE CUSTOMER THAT DEMANDS THE BEST.
WE ARE A WHOLSALER THAT HAS BEEN SELLING AUTO PARTS FOR 103 YEARS WE STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS AND WE WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY.
NOT ALL ROTORS ARE CREATED EQUAL. BEWARE OF HAND DRILLED ROTORS THE ARE DRILLED BY HAND AND DO NOT COME WITH A GUARENTEE
Old 08-08-2007 | 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

It's called a pitch for a reason ... have you ever heard of that company? I certainly haven't. I'm sure you paid top $ for it ... and it's a shame. Usually buy a brand that you can trust -- the extra $$$ usually goes to the R&D that went towards making the product ... along with profit ... but at least you have the peace of mind that there's quality in the product sold to you.

Next time ... buy something that you have heard good feedback from or from a more reputable company. Live and learn.

PS "Guarentee"? I would worry about those companies too since the paperwork needed for people use to get warranty work done is a "guarantee".
Old 08-08-2007 | 12:17 PM
Team Owner

If you take a read thru azine you will learn more than any one person should know about brakes- brake torque- pad materials- rotor alloys- heat treating- warp wobble and glazing...

There is the possiblity you have glaze the pads or rotors
What sort of bedding procedure did you use
Were the pads recommended by the rotor maker as compatible

If it not just a simpe glaze caused vibration prob- which you can fix- then return those rotors and get some RacingBrake or Rotoras
Race car needs- and race car feel should be give aways that these may have less than OE smoothness- and should be expected to brake hard and fast with little regard for anything else like comfort

Cross dilling on rotors that were predesigned for that- like the 40 lb Porsche- Vett Viper type rotors- that are hauling 5000 lbs down from 100+ over and over- they can use the cross drilled- mindful their rotor cost for 1 is what we pay for 4 !
Cars that are pylon raced- auto cross raced, where constant full brakes are in use during a run- they can really use the cross drilled

For normal humans in a TL or other acura- side slots are the only thing needed on the outside surface- they help outgassing and keep the pads clean
The metallurgy and internal techniques are what seperate the brands
Old 08-08-2007 | 02:08 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Yeah I don't know but I have powerslot rotors and as you said I "feel" a lot more of the road. Not as smoothe as plain rotors. And they do pulse a tiny bit but I can tell they are fine. Next time I am just getting plain rotors.
Old 08-08-2007 | 08:04 PM
bringin lead

I'd say this is a hard lesson and hopefully you will learn it. I've had drilled rotors in the past and never felt "more" road than with OE parts. Whoever tells you that is feeding the BS beast. How long have you had these rotors on your car? If not long, try to tell the shop you aren't happy and ask for your money back. It is doubtful, but they may do you right. Warping will be more of an issue with low quality metal and as others have said - these probably aren't the highest quality. Good luck and next time do your research and make educated purchases - there is more information on here and the internet in general than you will ever need to know. Ask around before buying stuff from your local shop.
Old 08-09-2007 | 07:25 AM
I'd rather be driving:

Did you break them in properly? If your pads aren't bedded in properly, you're pretty much guaranteed to have vibration. I have a set of Rotora slotted and drilled rotors with EBC green pads and they work well, no pulsation when braking from any speed. I'm sticking with my setup when it comes to new brakes again.
Old 08-09-2007 | 08:19 AM
FamusTLX

As a matter of fact, I did alot of research on these. The company even sent me a engineering authenticity certificate to show the process of there rotors. Believe me when you see and feel these rotors, you would think the quality is good as well. I actually had a talk with the manager from the distribution shop, not the wholesale shop and we had a long conversatin about rotors. He gave me alot of info that I didn't even know about rotors and he said he'll give me my money back no problem. Most b/c i'm not happy with the resistance I feel through the road when I accelerate, espically on the highway. DAMN ANNOYING
I will be getting rotors but regular one of high quality, possibly OEM with 2 yr warranty.

MY question is can you use my same brake pads I just put on a couple days ago. I don't have another $120 dollars to put on another pair of premium rotors. What would you guys suggestion considering the new pad have a 150 km on them since a couple days ago???
Old 08-09-2007 | 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

did your research?!?!? you got monroe brake pads. im sorry but that is poor research plus the fact that you consider OEM as quality.

great pad for the money satisfied pro ceramic or akebono pro act.

get rotora or racingbrake rotors if you want quality slots etc. if not brembo blanks or the napa ones mentioned earlier with above pads should be great and economical
Old 08-09-2007 | 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FamusFace
As a matter of fact, I did alot of research on these. The company even sent me a engineering authenticity certificate to show the process of there rotors. Believe me when you see and feel these rotors, you would think the quality is good as well. I actually had a talk with the manager from the distribution shop, not the wholesale shop and we had a long conversatin about rotors. He gave me alot of info that I didn't even know about rotors and he said he'll give me my money back no problem. Most b/c i'm not happy with the resistance I feel through the road when I accelerate, espically on the highway. DAMN ANNOYING
I will be getting rotors but regular one of high quality, possibly OEM with 2 yr warranty.

MY question is can you use my same brake pads I just put on a couple days ago. I don't have another $120 dollars to put on another pair of premium rotors. What would you guys suggestion considering the new pad have a 150 km on them since a couple days ago???
I could make a set of rotors look high quality. Any company could do the same. Unless you get many people vouching for the product with good feedback it would be hard to say they are good, no one here used them.
What i would like to know is this "feel the road" How do you "feel the road" You cant feel the road with brakes while driving. If you feel your acceleration is slower then i would say one of them is hung up causing it
Old 08-09-2007 | 12:46 PM
Team Owner

I wonder if the OE shims were installed on top of the new pads own shims causing extra drag? or if the old crud in the brake fluid got backwashed and now killed a caliper,- is the real issue? ~not that I have been there!!!!

pad bedding instructions here
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
Old 08-10-2007 | 04:46 PM
-Arsenic-

I haven't had any problems with my Rotoras. Buy something you KNOW is good.