Those that installed Denso Plugs please read...GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been my experience that running too cold of a plug will cause fouling. I'm not sure what level of mods represents the threshhold between using the IK16's and the IK20's.

If I can score some reasonably priced dyno time in the near future, I will buy a set of IK20's and dyno them, back-to-back, on my car.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:00 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by RAdams
It's been my experience that running too cold of a plug will cause fouling. I'm not sure what level of mods represents the threshhold between using the IK16's and the IK20's.

If I can score some reasonably priced dyno time in the near future, I will buy a set of IK20's and dyno them, back-to-back, on my car.
Would fouled plugs cause a rougher idle, and what exactly do fouled plugs look like if you were to visually inspect them? I've been running the IK20's in my Accord for quite some time now. I also have a picture of one of the plugs I took out when I compared it to my friends IK16 plug.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I truely believe that I got close to 5-10HP off my super sonics, before I got my intake... I reset my ECU first, then my car would jet off and I was breath taken by the performance...The only thing was that nobody believed me, try iridiums, but if you dont wanna spend that much, surely try the supersonics...Phat a$$ $hit, its a mod in itself...I remember my car was stock besides the spark plugs and I would tear up my friends CL-P all day...Good Luck...Shyne
Old 10-10-2001, 06:26 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by roadman
Guys,

Are you sure about those HP increase claims simply from changing plugs ? Attached is an article from NGK who also manufactures Iridium plugs.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqpower.asp

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.

Well, AV6 er's have experienced gains on new 2001 accord V6's. They are also dyno proven. Check out AccordV6.com. Our cars have seen an increase in whp and a bigger increase in wheel torque.

Recently there was this groupbuy for like >$60 for a set of six and I bought at set for my mom's INSPIRE and my Accord. Hopefully I could see better gains in the TL.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BNut

Would fouled plugs cause a rougher idle, and what exactly do fouled plugs look like if you were to visually inspect them? I've been running the IK20's in my Accord for quite some time now. I also have a picture of one of the plugs I took out when I compared it to my friends IK16 plug.
Fouling occurs when a foreign substance (usually fuel or oil) gets deposited on the firing tip or insulator of the spark plug. This can be caused by several things: Fuel can get on the plug if the plug is too cold for the application, or if the engine is running entirely too rich. Oil on the plug usually indicates that either valve seals or piston rings are shot.

A fouled plug could most certainly cause a rough idle (as well as stumbling elsewhere in the rpm band). These foreign substances create a path of very little resistance for the voltage in the plug. Rather than bridge the gap from the electrode to the firing tip, the voltage follows the oily path on the insulator and grounds out causing a misfire and leaving unburned fuel in the combustion chamber.

To check for fouling, simply look at the electrode end of the plug. A properly-selected plug in an engine that's running well will be a dark brown color -- similar to hot chocolate. There should be no deposits on the insulator surrounding the electrode. A fouled plug will have any number of things on it, but will be black in color. In extreme cases it will actually be wet with either fuel or oil.

Sorry for the lengthy post... I try to be thorough without being verbose.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:26 AM

Hmmm, I'll post a pic of one of my plugs and you can tell me what you think... I'll have to upload it when I get home from work though.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-10-2001, 07:40 PM

Ok its a big pic but its need to be so you can see the plug

My plug is the one on the left. My plugs also has a lot more miles on it than the one on the right.

BTW, my platinum plugs that had 33k miles on them look a lot "dirtier" than the IK20 in that picture.