For those that have changed their A/C air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 01:52 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that have changed their A/C air filters

I have a question about the A/C air filter system...

I've not gotten to a point mileage-wise where I've looked at the system...

Does it go (in the case of A/C):

1. Outside air -> filter -> evaporator -> vents

-or-

2. Outside air -> evaporator -> filter -> vents
Old 04-14-2002, 06:27 AM
Pro

I've had my micron filters out trying to chase down a wind whistle noise that I get somewhere in the system from the ventilation system fan blower. It howls and whistles just enough from somewhere under the dash to drive me nuts without the stereo turned up. It goes away whenever I go to recirculated air or open any window or door. I still haven't found what's causing it yet...

But to answer your question, I believe it is option 1. The air filters are under the dash behind the glove box. They are AFTER the fan blower. I would have liked to have seem them on the intake side of the fan blower rather than on the output side. The fan motor will just get full of dust and crap without the filters before it.

Anyway, from what I could see, the fan blower blows air through the air filters which then blows through an airconditioning box which has tiny cooling fins to go through. Then on up through the dash vents, etc. I'm not an airconditioning expert, but this cooling fin box looks like where all the cold air is made. There are freon pipes coming in and out of this box and it is cold. I'm not sure if that is what you are calling the evaporator or not, but I'm just passing on what I know from my observations...

Hope it helps... BTW, why are you curious as to which is which?
Old 04-14-2002, 09:55 AM
On the way!

Thanks for the info, Southbound. The reason I was curious is because people have mentioned dealers spraying Lysol in their intake vents below the windshield to take care of the inevitable moldy smell that all evaporators get (yes, that's the thing with the freon pipes).

I'm wondering if it's possible/better to do the Lysol treatment at the same time you're changing your filters. It makes no sense to spray lysol into your air intake when it's going to get filtered before it hits the evaporator...

Can you run the system without the filters installed temporarily, so more of the Lysol could actually get to the evaporator?
Old 04-14-2002, 12:32 PM
On the way!

I just answered my own question... I took the air filters out, and - yes - you can take 'em out temporarily if you want to do that lysol treatment. There's a cover that snaps over to keepthe air passage closed.

Wow - 10k miles, and there's already some fungusy stuff growing on my evaporator! The evap side of the filter was dirtiwer than the intake side (blotches of gunk growing there...)
Old 04-14-2002, 01:27 PM
On the way!

Well, I just got done Lysol'ing the cr@p out of my filters & evaporator. Now my car smells "country fresh."

If anyone wants info on how it went, let me know.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

I didn't even know the car had a changable air filter. I guess I should check the manual. Agree it would have been better if the filter were upstream of the blower.

------------------------------
03TLS, NH Black on Parchment, no MODs
Old 04-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Racer

Can Someone post instructions on how to do this?

I have 30K miles now and need to replace the AC filter I suppose.

So far, I've read I have to take off the glove box. That should be no problem. Then what?

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to Lysol as well once I read how to take things apart.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:35 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by ymckoon
Can Someone post instructions on how to do this?
Here's how I did it:

1. Remove the screw holding the "shock" (it's really a spring) on the right side of the glove box
2. Remove the two "roller holders" at the top/back of the glove box by pushing inwards - toward the center of the box
3. Remove the two screws at the bottom corners of the glove box holding it to the lower part of the dash (it helped to have a REALLY long screwdriver for this)
4. Using a scissors, cut the 10 tabs on the sides of the plastic access panel (It's labeled "DO NOT DISCARD!")
5. The access panel for the filters is a long snap-on cover that runs vertically on the air handler. To open this cover, pull the bottom towards you. It will pop off.

The filters (there are two) are stacked one on top of another. They just pull out.

I took mine out and sprayed them down with Lysol. You can spray the evaporator coils through the filter access panel, but you don't really have a good angle on it. Therefore, I also sprayed through the air intake below the windshield - with the filters out, temp on 60, fan on high, A/C off.

Be sure you like the scent of the Lysol you use. The smell hangs around for a little while. I found installation of the filters easier when I put in the top one first (you'll have to hold it while you put in the bottom one).
Old 04-16-2002, 04:40 AM
Racer

Thanks fla-tls

I'm going to replace my AC filters sometime this week or weekend!

How much does the AC filter(s) cost? Did you buy from dealership? Is there any place out there that sells it cheaper?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:00 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by ymckoon
How much does the AC filter(s) cost? Did you buy from dealership? Is there any place out there that sells it cheaper?
Tim sells Micron filters through this site. I checked, but the site only lists the 1999 filters, which aren't the same as the 01-02 filters. You probably should email him... He may carry the 01-02 type.

The cost per filter is not bad... Roughly $8-10/filter. Every 30k, that's not too hard to handle.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:00 AM
Pro

Thanks fla-tls
I suppose the mildew problem is a lot worse in Florida than out here in the dry southwest.

One thing else to mention...

When you put the filters back in, you have to re-install the piece of plastic that you cut the 10 tabs off of to gain access to the opening. You turn this piece of plastic 90 degrees from its orginal mount. It was a rectangle shape with the long side up and down, you re-install it with the long side of the rectangle sideways. There are two tabs that slip in over on the left side and then you take out and use two screws that were just setting there serving no original purpose to secure the right side. This helps to hold the whole filter/blower assembly together.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Cruisin'

Just changed my filters tonight... took about 15 minutes total. A couple of additional items that worked for me:

It is difficult to push the glovebox together enough to get the rollers out. I ended up pulling the center of the back towards me while pushing on one side to get it released, then doing the same for the other side.

The filters are housed in plastic holders. On the outside of the holders are markings to designate the air flow. On the filters there are markings as well. Obviously make sure they are turned the correct way. It's easy to overlook the filter markings.

There was alot of crap in mine, so it was worth the 15 minutes and $25 bucks.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Your description is exactly how I feel to my car now. The whistle noise is killing me, forcing me to turn on my stereo louder. BTW, have you had this problem fixed yet??

S

Originally posted by Southbound
I've had my micron filters out trying to chase down a wind whistle noise that I get somewhere in the system from the ventilation system fan blower. It howls and whistles just enough from somewhere under the dash to drive me nuts without the stereo turned up. It goes away whenever I go to recirculated air or open any window or door. I still haven't found what's causing it yet...
Old 11-01-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro

No still haven't figured it out yet. I have been living with it by cranking the stereo. If I don't have the music on, I either crack open a window, or push the "recirculated" air button. either of those situations make the whistle go away. I can push VERY hard on the dash board up where it meets the windshield on the drivers side and I can alter the sound of the whistle. There's something wrong with a seal somewhere??? I haven't taken the dash completely apart yet, for fear of causing more damage than good. I've even wondered if the windshield is not properly sealed to the bottom of the frame. I've taken the fresh air vents apart from the OUTSIDE of the car and can't find anything wrong there. Nor does pushing on the windshield from the outside cause any change to the noise. There's some leak on the INSIDE of the car where the dashboard meets the windshield, but ONLY in the fresh air mode... and then, only when the windows and doors are all closed up???

POS!

If anyone finds any fix to this annoyance, PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS... THANKS!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

The a/c whining is from the compressor itself. Acura acknowledged the problem but does not have a solution for this yet. THere is another thread about this.
About the comment that the filter should be BEFORE the fan...it was placed after the fan to block noise.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Banned

How do I get to the blower motor cage or whatever?

I have a buzz sound coming from it i think...

do I go behind the glove to get to it?