thinking of getting another, completly different TL...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation thinking of getting another, completly different TL...

Due to recent problems, which I will make a thread about later, I had to take the time to think of plans to FORCE me to slow down. Obviously, my "need for speed" is too much for me to control by myself. So my plan is:

Buy a 2002 TL-P (NBP) and add the following to it:

-19" chromies
-air suspension
-comptech mufflers
-5% tint
-badass audio/video system
-white VIP lights
-6000k HIDs
-and some other random stuff i could use from my current TL.

As you can see, i would be getting rid of my "sport/performance" TL in favor of a more "class/luxury/show" oriented TL.

The lack of power will(should) make me slow down, along with the 19" chromies (potholes) and the air suspension which does not offer the best handling...

what do you guys think? yay or nay? im confused
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sound confused....
Old 11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Instructor

you need to have sex more often
Old 11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ummmm I dont think getting another "slower" car will make you slow down any. my friend always speeds like hell in a 4 banger ranger.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your speeding problem isn't with the car, it's between your ears.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by MikePA
You should take some time to read my post carefully.

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
FORCE me to slow down. Obviously, my "need for speed" is too much for me to control by myself.
I know the problem is ME, but i can't control myself... so having a slower car would definitly help IMO.

Vanos: YES, i actually do.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Wallace, LA

MikePA is correct.

You have a beautiful car that is a lot of fun to drive(one of my favs on the site). The key is to drive it hard selectivly and at the appropriate times. Yeah TL's(even heavily modded) are slow when compared to top sports cars so not performancing moding a TL-P does make you pretty slow...but really they are very fast compared to most cars on the road. You can get hurt just as bad(die) in a 4 banger just as you could die in a Mustang Cobra. I understand a Cobra would make it easier to speed but my point stays the same. It's all in how you drive. All you need to do is work on your driving mentality and self control. I commend you for at least admitting you have a problem and being mature enough to try and make a change. I really don't think one(a change) is neccessary. Really, it all comes down to you. If YOU KNOW that getting a slower car (TL-P) as opposed driving a heavily modded TL-P will fix your speeding problem-then go ahead and get one. I don't think it will work, but whatever keeps you safe man. Good luck.

Mark
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Ganji, Want some?

SO uhhh what you sellin?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The 00+ TL-P is about half a second faster than the 99... what performance mods does the 99 have that overcomes that?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Originally Posted by VITEK
SO uhhh what you sellin?
Winnar!

/. . . Seriouslywhatyousellin?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Keep your '99! You haven't blown a transmission yet have you? If not, keep the beast. Think about it for a second. Even my car (96 2.5TL) with 176hp is MORE than fast enough to get me in trouble, and easily. You need to maybe undo some of your mods, and take it easy. I know you say you can't control yourself, but there is a mentality to get into when you drive. When I'm commuting, I drive smooth and hardly touch the brakes and don't mash the gas either. Saves me money. When I see a good place to open up, I do so and drive the piss out of my car for a few seconds.

That little rush, a few times a day, is good enough to keep the speed demon at bay.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Drifting

I know the problem is ME, but i can't control myself... so having a slower car would definitly help IMO.
I did read your post carefully. As you said,

'...the problem is ME'
'...i can't control myself...'

Buying a 'slower' car won't solve your problem, but if you think it will, why ask for opinions, unless you're simply looking for people to agree with you, just go buy a slower car?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The 00+ TL-P is about half a second faster than the 99... what performance mods does the 99 have that overcomes that?
doesnt take much - and in real life, the cars are virtually the same. i mean you cant really read much into #s put out by magazine test drivers and I have seen many dynos and time slips between various TLP models, and with simlar mods, the results are virtually the same.

the biggest thing that keeps my foot off the floor is paying for my own gas. It just gets old - and the TL will never be fast enough for it to be real fun (a completely modded CLS6 would be a good start though)
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Future JDM Whore

hmmm i dont know maybe we should read the other thread about why you want to do this before helping u make any decisions i say you stick to what you have because if i remember correctly you were one of the first if not the first to do the 02 front end conversion on a 99-00 TL-P plus the Type S TB and all that good stuff....i say you just add air bag suspension, white vip lights, and the 19 inch chromies to the car you have now it would of course save you lots of money
Old 11-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Peach Tea

Justin ur gettin old like me. Keep ur car man, you put so much work into it and it's tight as hell. I don't go fast or race anymore, but I bet I can still beat you in my nearly stock 00
Old 11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Peach Tea

BTW can I have my intake extension back?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Vanos: YES, i actually do.
You want a slower car ... get a geo metro ... u freek
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah i say stick with ur current car and throw on your wheels of choice and the other stuff you want...its already a nice car anyways...
Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Screw that justin, YOU WANT SPEED, GET AN EVO or a G35 or a WRX STI and Boost the hell out of one of them. Yo, max performance and speed with one of those man. Screw the TL. U kno theres so much better then the TL. My Later man. U still have the best TL on the forum. Peace.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Public transportation will help you slow down. Or getting a slower car that is still modable (ex; TSX) or get some really really expensive rims + body kit. After goin thru my 3rd front lip, I have slowed down considerably.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

ok so what happened?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Instructor

getting a "slower" car isnt going to help since all cars pretty much have the ability to go pretty fast...just that some take a little or alot longer getting there than others. haha
Old 11-03-2005, 06:16 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My TL 99 has been a great car so far, but it just isn't that fast compared to other cars on the market today. Back in 99 I'm sure it was. I grew up driving my Dad's Thunderbird with a 390 in it. Now that was fast!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

MikePA: im not looking for people to agree with me... im just looking for opinions/suggestions on what I should do.. and I appreciate the replies so far. Im not saying getting a slower car is the solution to my problem... i just think it could help. I understand that I gotta change, and I am the only one responsible for speeding...

btw, thanks for the comments about my car that'S what makes me not want to sell it..

03coupeV6: injen cai, type-s throttle body, throttle body spacer, port/polished intake manifold, headers, 2.5" cat-back exhaust, UR crank pulley, mugen thermostat, mugen fan switch, platinum spark plugs, V-AFC II, etc.

youngTL: my tranny seems to be holding up great

corey: No, im gonna resell it, old man
Old 11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
2001 TL

Just something to mull around the old noggin, I used to drive like a jackass when I was a teenager. I sped everwhere, usually 20+ over the speedlimit. Even when I didn't speed, I had to mash the pedal to the floor every single time I accelerated. At this time I was driving a 1997 Chevy S-10.

My dad, and this ended up teaching me a (small) lesson, traded in the S-10 and bought me a brand new 2002 Civic, (Nov. '01). I was 19 at the time, and I modded it, I/H/E, lowered it, put rims on it, and 6 months after I got this car, I was racing some guy, didn't even know him, and I got clocked at 120. Needless to say, I lost my liscense for a year, my dad was FURIOUS, and he sold my car and bought himself a new car.

I was forced to change jobs and walk to work and buy my own car. I did so, and 3 months after that I traded it for a 1994 Honda CBR-600. I had a massive amount of respect for the power that bike had, and I rode it for 2 years. Not once did I fall off or injure myself. After moving in with my girlfriend, this became impractical, so I had to get a car, and did so, and then 3 short months later, I traded that car(1994 Honda Civic) for the TL I have now.

I noticed however, in the past 3 months, that my driving habits have permanatly changed. I never got 1 ticket on my bike, where as with the civic and truck I had 9 tickets and a suspension within 3.5 years.

I don't know whether or not you have been cought, but find someway to gain a respect for the road, and then you could drive a Dodge Viper around all day and not feel compelled to floor it everywhere. I don't know if that helps at all but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Irish.Wake

I don't know whether or not you have been cought, but find someway to gain a respect for the road, and then you could drive a Dodge Viper around all day and not feel compelled to floor it everywhere. I don't know if that helps at all but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
exactly
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Just something to mull around the old noggin, I used to drive like a jackass when I was a teenager. I sped everwhere, usually 20+ over the speedlimit. Even when I didn't speed, I had to mash the pedal to the floor every single time I accelerated. At this time I was driving a 1997 Chevy S-10.

My dad, and this ended up teaching me a (small) lesson, traded in the S-10 and bought me a brand new 2002 Civic, (Nov. '01). I was 19 at the time, and I modded it, I/H/E, lowered it, put rims on it, and 6 months after I got this car, I was racing some guy, didn't even know him, and I got clocked at 120. Needless to say, I lost my liscense for a year, my dad was FURIOUS, and he sold my car and bought himself a new car.

I was forced to change jobs and walk to work and buy my own car. I did so, and 3 months after that I traded it for a 1994 Honda CBR-600. I had a massive amount of respect for the power that bike had, and I rode it for 2 years. Not once did I fall off or injure myself. After moving in with my girlfriend, this became impractical, so I had to get a car, and did so, and then 3 short months later, I traded that car(1994 Honda Civic) for the TL I have now.

I noticed however, in the past 3 months, that my driving habits have permanatly changed. I never got 1 ticket on my bike, where as with the civic and truck I had 9 tickets and a suspension within 3.5 years.

That's basically what's happening/gonna happen to me...

"you get what you deserve" and "you learn from your mistakes", that applies very well to me.

I can see my mentality changing already... I guess having my license taken away was necessary for me to understand....
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Lost your license ?....sorry to hear it.

At a younger age, it's tough to avoid the speeding, harsh driving, menacing, weaving like a basket, etc. Most people do grow out of it in time. I only do mild speeding these dayz.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
Lost your license ?....sorry to hear it.

At a younger age, it's tough to avoid the speeding, harsh driving, menacing, weaving like a basket, etc. Most people do grow out of it in time. I only do mild speeding these dayz.

Did not lose it yet... Going to court on November 18th. I'm slowly preparing myself to face the consequences of what I have done. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Ya sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way >_<
Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Boomer SOONER

Did not lose it yet... Going to court on November 18th. I'm slowly preparing myself to face the consequences of what I have done. I'll keep you guys updated.
well man I hope everything goes ok for you - but getting a "slower" car wont help - its all between the ears
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Great post. Been there, done almost that. Passed a cop (unmarked car), got a speeding ticket. Not nearly as bad as losing a license, but.... When I got the ticket, I was driving to my college graduation ceremony, with my wife to be in the passenger seat. While the cop was writing the ticket, my parents drove by since they were following us to graduation.

My dad didn't have to get furious. I was moving out of the house, going out on my own, moving to another state. Ever try getting car insurance with multiple speeding tickets on your record? Minimum coverage, maximum price.

Learn from other people's mistakes. Slow down. To repeat, the car you're driving is irrelevant. Getting a ticket for going 90 mph in a Civic costs the same as going 90 in a TLs. It's sure be nice if everyone didn't have to touch the stove to know that it's hot. Getting a ticket is the easy punishment. Wrapping your car around a tree is permanent.

EDIT: Just read the reason for the original post. No offense, but glad you got a ticket and may lose your license. Cheap price for a lesson that will last a life time.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I'm confused, what did you do that you have to go to court for? Did I miss something?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

EDIT: Just read the reason for the original post. No offense, but glad you got a ticket and may lose your license. Cheap price for a lesson that will last a life time.
No offense taken man, this is OK.

But I can assure you I learnt the lesson...

I am facing a THREE year suspension of my license, along with a CRIMINAL record, and a fine up to 4000$, ON TOP of the 7 points and 535$ ticket I got by mail.

People drove drunk, hit cars and got away for MUCH less than that. To me, the consequence is unfair. My lawyer and I will discuss this with the judge on the 18th.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just looking for support and ideas to help me with my problem. I realize what I did (I will not get into details) was stupid and that it will cost me a lot, not only because of the fines, record and suspension, but my insurance will go up big time, the cost of my license (when i get it back) too, and a criminal record aint no good. The story even made it in a local weekly newspaper (EXAGERATED, on top of that , just like the police report...)

Anyways, I'm really sorry for what I've done, and I am ready to pay the (fair) price.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

-Justin
Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Can someone direct me to the original thread people are talking about. I can't seem to find it.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Can someone direct me to the original thread people are talking about. I can't seem to find it.
I said i was gonna make a thread, but i decided to post in this thread... refer to the post right before yours...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Major bummer, Justin. Hopefully, the judge has some discretion in the punishment and will show some leniency. Having a criminal record will haunt you for life, prevent you from getting certain jobs, and in the states, certain government benefits, etc. particularly if it's a felony. Most driving infractions, at least the first time they happen are either summary offenses or, at worst, a misdemeanor. So the impact on getting a job isn't so bad since most of the job applications I've seen ask if you've been convicted of a felony.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

120mph is reckless driving, but I'm not sure it would be a felony charge - the first time.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Drifting

120mph is reckless driving, but I'm not sure it would be a felony charge - the first time.
Justin did not indicate what he did. It was Irish.Wake who was doing 120 a few years ago and got caught.

You're being charged with Failure To Read Entire Thread - Misdemeanor. Your sentence is to answer the next 10 posta where a newbie asks (1) Can they burn their own CDs and play them in the stock HU or (2) Should they buy a used TL, they're worried about the transmission.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Major bummer, Justin. Most driving infractions, at least the first time they happen are either summary offenses or, at worst, a misdemeanor.
yea i kno.

both charges are summary offenses... makes it a lil' ""better""...

anyways, i'll keep you guys posted... peace.

Quick Reply: thinking of getting another, completly different TL...