Things I think the TL-S shoulda included:

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 03:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Post Things I think the TL-S shoulda included:

1. Express window up/down on all four windows
2. Ability to close windows/sunroof w/ remote unit after car has been turned off
3. Ability to use sunroof/window controls to close windows/sunroof after car is off.
4. Color-coded mudguards -- STANDARD
5. Auto door locking mech. when in Drive
6. Two tweeters installed by drivers/passenger rear-view mirrors
7. More chrome -- like running lines around the car (as in the RL)
8. Option for manual (had to throw that in)
9. Tilting Headrests w/ electronic controls
10. completely velvet lined sunglass tray
11. 225/17 Tires & wheels (i know i'm pushin' it here)

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 04-01-2001, 04:00 AM

all that sounds good except for the more chrome part(imho), especially the manual tranny
Old 04-01-2001, 06:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter, Items 2,3, and 6 are key as far as I am concerned. Sounds to me like a good reason to wait till the redesign in 03 or 04. (Yeah right)
Old 04-01-2001, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally posted by PeterUbers:
2. Ability to close windows/sunroof w/ remote unit after car has been turned off
3. Ability to use sunroof/window controls to close windows/sunroof after car is off.
PeterUbers: #3 is already on the car. If you turn off the car and do not open the driver's side door, all windows/sunroof operations are enabled.

Here's what I'd throw in:

1) Auto Open/close Moonroof controls (and place them above head where industry standard seems to be (unless there is a rational for why it is only within driver's control)

2) Real adjustable headrests in rear: This is something found in other competitors...yet TL still uses the old accord integrated headrests and no middle headrest (this is a luxury feature really)

3) 8 way adjustable passenger seat too: My wife is having problems adjusting it to her taste when she rides with me...everyone has their preferences on how to sit and the Acura TLS doesn't fit her

4) Increased Lumbar support on driver side: I think the support is good, but I want even more lumbar...even powered versus lever would be nice.

5) 3 spoke steering wheel: That seems to be the sportier look these days. (just a wishful option)

6) Fuller sound in stereo: The stereo is okay for stock, but I think it could use a bit of boost, especially in the midrange. I'm downgrading from my Integra's Boston Accustics with tweeters in front, a powered Kicker in the rear, Pioneer 3-ways on the back. That stereo had a full rich sound that was so clear, you could hear the pick brush the guitar strings in some music

7) Yellow fogs versus the not-so-white fogs that clash with the HIDs. I'm going to replace mine with yellow bulbs. I can't stand that they don't match. Either match them with another set of HIDs or make them yellow--that's my take on that one.

All in all, that's all I can think of right now. I love the car though. These options listed above are just icing on the cake. But, again, if we got all of these options, I'm sure the car would solicit a much higher price. Acura has done a good job of keeping us picky for more options even though we have paid a pretty low price in my opinion on all of the options we already get on the new TL-S. Even a comparably equiped 330i would be $40K+.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:48 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Arrow

I would like to have "less" chrome. I think the car would look sharp if the door handles and the "trim" strip around the side windows were the same color as the car!

:-jon
Old 04-01-2001, 01:09 PM

I agree with Jon - these moldings don't exactly please the eye.
Old 04-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

And a sport option with lower springs, 19" rims and 235/35 tires.
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000581.html
Old 04-01-2001, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
#'s4,5,6 and 11 would have been icing on the cake. As for #10 I think Acura wants us putting the sunglasses in with the lens facing inward, then when you close it the lens is sitting on the lined area. But I like storing them the other way. adn will have to line it with something. #3 is already in the car as someone said. I dont know why Acura cant go with a 7 speaker set up with tweeters in the front door, especially when the CL-S comes with tweeters. Less chrome is best IMHO, howver I do like the Chrome door handles

Having the production car as low and with the same profile that they had in the shows would also have been nice as well. BUt these are all minor things, and this is all nitpicking at best. This is truly a great car. Imagine trying to get a car like this 5 years ago, was it even possible?

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 04-01-2001, 06:40 PM

All those ideas sound great.

My biggest issue is the color choices. I love this car. Price point is wonderful. Just wish they would have included the other color choice options.

I personally liked the lagoona green from last year. The Anthracite this year is so close. Would have loved it in the Type S.

More colors, the options you mentioned, and the same price... Not asking for too much

------------------
1989 Acura Integra LS
1993 Honda Lawn Tractor
2000 Honda Rancher ES 4x4
2002 Acura TL-S (This Year)
Old 04-01-2001, 08:07 PM
Instructor

For me the auto locking doors would be annoying and I would try to have the feature disabled. Also I agree with what others have said regarding the chrome. Just look at the new VW Passat. In my opinion way too much chrome.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill
Old 04-02-2001, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Well since the "color portfolio" is separate from the rest of the brochure, I have a feeling the color choices will change in the near future.

Praying that the anthracite metallic is included for the Type-S.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by twm01:
How 'bout a trip computer integrated into the nav display that includes instant mpg, total mpg, temp, oil pressure, etc (I believe the nav in the MDX includes some of this).

I have an MDX too and the trip computer is really cool. It gives "instant MPG" via a graph and calculates rolling average MPG. It even automatically resets itself at each fill-up and stores the results of the last five tanks in history. It also displays miles traveled and miles remaining. The bummer is that in order to make room for the trip function they shrunk the A/C controls to a single row at the bottom of the screen. To set the fan direction or speed you have to cycle through each setting up to five times. A real pain...
Old 04-02-2001, 01:45 PM
Racer

With the exception of number 6, I don't want those features for extra cost.
I definitely wouldn't mind 7 or 9 speakers on the TL...or at least the TL-S.

As far as a stick goes....it's a FWD. What's the point? We can save that request until Acura comes out with a RWD competitor to IS300. Hopefully the thing will be priced at around 25k base, so I can get one as a beater.

Old 04-02-2001, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Throw in a 6 speed manual and I will ask no more! I already got the upgraded horn activation steering wheel pad, the sport suspension and the engine in the 02.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:49 PM

Wink

You forgot
1. Memory Seats
2. Smart Cruise
3. HID Hig Beam
4. Blinkers on Mirror
5. Trip Computer
6. Headlight Wipers

Ha Ha Ha you WISH
Old 04-02-2001, 05:55 PM
8th Gear

Laguna Green will be back. It was the most popular color, according to Acura's own info. So they are going to sell as many 2002s of OTHER colors as they can before creating the opportunity to sell more by reintroducing the color, and probably another similar lighter color. They know the mice will behave as they anticipate.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:40 PM
Racer

Smile

1. A better music system, the Alpine/Bose is out of place in the TLS.
2. A mirror with a digital compass. Especially useful when you're not too familiar with the environment.
3. Illuminated controls on the steering wheel. Major oversight here.
4. Better quality knobs and buttons. Really, how much does it cost to upgrade these to the quality found in a Lexus or Mercedes!!!
5. More color options for the TLS.
6. Wood trim option for the TLS ebony interior.
7. Larger glove box.
8. AWD (now i'm really asking for too much )

Old 04-02-2001, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

How 'bout a trip computer integrated into the nav display that includes instant mpg, total mpg, temp, oil pressure, etc (I believe the nav in the MDX includes some of this).

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guys just be glad you got fog lights.
people like me with the TL did not get fog lights even as an factory option.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 04-03-2001, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

ok ok...

on that note:

12. power adjustable rear contour seats
13. 15 air bags
14. 355 hp engine w/ 6 speed Tiptronic
15. Z-rated tires
16. Dual-stage xenons
17. Foot-massagers
18. and the list goes on...

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 04-03-2001, 08:25 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
How about CD TEXT capability for the CD PLayer?

:-jon

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by oblio98 on April 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-03-2001, 08:39 PM
Instructor

-Computer:
A Pentium 4 1.8ghz
DVD ROM
Geforce 3 video card
Playstation 2
LCD liquid crystal display screen w/ nav

-Premium human leather seats
-carbon fiber frame
-aluminum chassis
-magnesium wheels 255/30 20
-titanium shift knob/dash/pedals
-premium sheep skin carpet
-1.3L inline 6 DOHC @ 400hp, redline at 9000rpm
-Ultra light brakes, aluminum suspension
-100% poolutin free, runs on 100mpg
Old 04-03-2001, 09:27 PM

imposter
Old 04-03-2001, 09:30 PM

imposter
Old 04-03-2001, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Discard everything and give me instant transportation. Sit in the teleporter car, plot navigation, boom you are at destination.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

Steven Anne James or Steven Blair Jenkins
Old 04-03-2001, 10:56 PM

Exclamation

I'm surprised that no one asked for electronic suspension system. I feel the TL-S for city roads are just too rough. I would like the option of Sport or Tour setting for suspension.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:46 AM
5th Gear

Question

Just curious, but in reference to item 6, has anyone already looked to see if the CL tweeter pods (assuming they can be obtained from Acura parts on their own) can be fitted to the TL window corners fairly easily? Running the extra wire to the door or putting the crossover in the door for a component set would not be a big deal if the tweeter pod were an easy match. My understanding is the CL tweeter is a 1" unit, which should allow for any decent aftermarket tweeter to fit.

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I can see your arguement on those items.... 6 used to be standard (up in the front corners of the dash), don't know why they dropped it. As stated, you can open windows and stuff with the car off. I think 7 is a preference, and there's no way I'd like that, I like it the way it is. 9, I think they tilt on the 2002. 8, sorry, but I don't think the manual ever will or should happen. I've been doing a lot of thinking on it. The Legend had a 6 speed option, but hardly anyone ever optioned to get it, so it was basically a huge cost for Acura that was never recovered. I think they should put all their efforts towards making the SS better, with more response and higher effeciency along with adding a 6th gear. 10, for the life of me I can't figure out why it wasn't that way, everything else is.... go figure. 11, I can see your point, especially with the way the CL-S rims used to scratch, the 225 would have given more protection. It would have meant less gas mileage with the 225, but it would be nice. Speaking about that topic, does anyone know if the CL-S go the TL-S rims when they updated the colors (Aegean Blue Pearl addition)?
Old 04-04-2001, 03:25 PM

With all the options above the TL Type S would be TL Type BOND 007. Dont forget to equip it with:

1. Ejecting seats (No airbags required cause the driver/passenger gets ejected in case of collision)
2. On water ability (turns into a boat)
3. Self Parking computer
4. Total Cruise (Drives itself on the highway .. so the driver can get a shut eye)
5.Remote control (Can be driven remotely)

THe list goes on ..............
Old 04-04-2001, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

One simple thing I'd REALLY like -- this is being very serious -- dash-mounted ignition insert -- I hate (but can easily live with) having to look over to insert the key -- i am so used to the '94 ES300 and the '99 E320's dash-mounted key-insert. There are less scratches that way too -- plus, in my old '91 camry, that neon-green circle that illuminates the key-hole was twice as big!

Old 04-04-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro

I would love to have the TL-s in sport-wagon form (similar to the BMW 540i sport-wagon) with the VTM-4 AWD system adapted from the MDX (it weighs 200 lbs approx).... and a limited slip differential.... absolutely the ideal combination in my reckoning, especially if it was available with the Navigation system..... and if the whole package could be marketed for about 35K...

I would trade my beloved 2000 TL in a heartbeat, if the above was available.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires