Are there any cons to removing intake resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any cons to removing intake resonator?

At all?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorta

Hey natismati, I have an 03 TL-S Nav. I removed my intake resonator box about 2 weeks ago. The only problem that I noticed after removing it, is a low pitched, loud hum coming from the vibrations in the air box only at idle (less than 2200 RPMs). After removing the box, the intake hole that is left for the air to come into the box is the perfect measurement for a low pitched hum.

I have to tell you though, besides the hum at idle, the sound is SO DAMN AWESOME, i wanted to make love to my airbox. It sounds like an M5. Anyway, i'd tell you to try it out, but it's a bitch to put in and take out. The only fix is to get an INJEN intake. It is the closest match to a resonator removal sound and it's more sensible. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. BTW, i hear the INJEN is pretty loud. Good luck to you. -Shawn
Old 06-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

do u have to replace the resonator with anything? like a metal tubE?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawn744
Hey natismati, I have an 03 TL-S Nav. I removed my intake resonator box about 2 weeks ago. The only problem that I noticed after removing it, is a low pitched, loud hum coming from the vibrations in the air box only at idle (less than 2200 RPMs). After removing the box, the intake hole that is left for the air to come into the box is the perfect measurement for a low pitched hum.

I have to tell you though, besides the hum at idle, the sound is SO DAMN AWESOME, i wanted to make love to my airbox. It sounds like an M5. Anyway, i'd tell you to try it out, but it's a bitch to put in and take out. The only fix is to get an INJEN intake. It is the closest match to a resonator removal sound and it's more sensible. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. BTW, i hear the INJEN is pretty loud. Good luck to you. -Shawn
Thanks Shawn. Well it wasn't for my car. I have a CT Intake. It was for a friend of mines. I did ended up removing it .WOW . Is all i can say. What is the point of that intake resonator anyways? Does anyone know? My friends all paranoid now thinking "water can get it in, a rat can get in it etc.." Are there any dangers i should notify him of?
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:17 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by natismati
Thanks Shawn. Well it wasn't for my car. I have a CT Intake. It was for a friend of mines. I did ended up removing it .WOW . Is all i can say. What is the point of that intake resonator anyways? Does anyone know? My friends all paranoid now thinking "water can get it in, a rat can get in it etc.." Are there any dangers i should notify him of?
Thanks!
i think the reason Acura put the resonator in there, is to take up space and make the engine as quite as hell for all the old fogees who dont wanna hear their engine. I took mine off a few months ago and im lovin it. Water cant really get in unless you are planning to ford a river.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Kollage is funn!

So wait....do you guys hear a hum???
Old 06-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

It sure is a head turner i can tell you that much..He is just really paranoid that like bugs or rock are going to be sucked into his engine. What do you guys think? Is he right?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Fallen

Originally Posted by natismati
It sure is a head turner i can tell you that much..He is just really paranoid that like bugs or rock are going to be sucked into his engine. What do you guys think? Is he right?
Well, Why dont you go tell your friend that he has an Air Filter for all those bugs ,rocks or whatever!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:21 AM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by RevinV12s
Well, Why dont you go tell your friend that he has an Air Filter for all those bugs ,rocks or whatever!
hahah yeah, i got a K&N one it works wonders!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
i think the reason Acura put the resonator in there, is to take up space and make the engine as quite as hell for all the old fogees who dont wanna hear their engine. I took mine off a few months ago and im lovin it. Water cant really get in unless you are planning to ford a river.
now wait a minute, i'm 46 & removed mine, I too love the sound. Some of us "old fogees" as you say grew up with the muscle cars of the 70's. Back then talk about sound, for instance how about a mopar 426 hemi, stock out of the factory 500hp, What kind of sound do you think you could develop with that powerhouse?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:08 AM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by seattle dale
now wait a minute, i'm 46 & removed mine, I too love the sound. Some of us "old fogees" as you say grew up with the muscle cars of the 70's. Back then talk about sound, for instance how about a mopar 426 hemi, stock out of the factory 500hp, What kind of sound do you think you could develop with that powerhouse?
my bad dale, i know you love your power and sound but i meant the "old fogees" who are lookin for engines that are inaudible, my mistake
Old 06-20-2004, 09:39 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

To deal with your vibration issue.. I think I know what it is...

On the type-s there is a hollow "H" shaped tube which connects the airbox resinator to the air filter box. The center part of the hollow "H" allows air to bypass the intake resinator and go directly from the engine bay (where the air intake is on a stock TL and TL-s) to the air filter.. Now I have a 99 TL there is NO "H" shaped tube, there is one tube from the engine bay into the airbox resinator, and another tube goes from the exit of the airbox resinator to the intake on the air filter box.

I removed my resinator and took out both of the tubes, the one that brought the air into the resinator and the other one that brought the air into the air filter box..

I have also removed the resinator on SC354's A-spec, with the help of fellow toronto TL'ers at our meet at Woodbine Acura.. On his car we were able to take out the resinator, just like mine.. BUT, the big difference between the two projects was, the "tubes". The hollow "H" shaped tube on the type-s Tls is unable to slide out like the two straight "tubes" in the not type-s' . Due to the "center" of the "H" it is too awkward to fit out of each of the holes. The only way to get it out would be to take out the air filter box (in the engine bay) and remove the "H" through the engine as opposed to down through the opening (the bumper is removed during this MOD)..

If all that is understood.... great..

Now what I have found is common with the type-s' , is that they will remove the bumper and take out the resinator, but since the "H" shaped tube has to come out through the engine bay, they typically will leave it in.. The "H" shaped tube is not fastened to anything, it is held in place by the resinator and the air filter box.. so removing the resinator will leave the "H" shaped tube connected only on one end of the "H", where it enters the air filter box. It is loose, but it will not fall out, I tried every way to get the "H" out of SC354's TL and it wouldn't come with out taking the air filter box out..

If you have a type-s TL, at low RPM's, it is a good chance that the rattleing is the plastic "H" tube bouncing off the metal frame of the car. If you wanted to take a socket set you could remove the air filter box and then take the "H" tube out completly.. There is only four bolts in the air filter box so it wouldn't be too hard to get the "H" out. There is also a little radiator in the air filter box, so I don't think removing the entire box is nessisary because you will have to deal with the little radiator tubes. Just taking out he four bolts should give you enough room to take out the "H" shaped tube..

Hope that was clear and I didn't ramble too much..
Old 06-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Just agree and go away...

My H shaped tube is out and I still have the hum. I really don't mind it because I got used to it within the first day or so... I dropped in a K&N air filter and I could feel a little difference, plus the sound is NICE.... so the only negative to removing the air intake resonator box is the hum... everything else is a plus
Old 06-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LargeOne
My H shaped tube is out and I still have the hum. I really don't mind it because I got used to it within the first day or so... I dropped in a K&N air filter and I could feel a little difference, plus the sound is NICE.... so the only negative to removing the air intake resonator box is the hum... everything else is a plus
Should i suggest like a gutter guard to be wrapped around the wide open hole? Or thats not neccessary.?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro

Unnecessary. The hole is too high up the fender to be a problem. You should tell your friend to throw down 150 and get a nice CAI. that would be even better than just taking off the resonator box
Old 06-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Kollage is funn!

Or just spend 250 and gen an INJEN. I hear they're louder, and have more of a rumble at low RPMs...what do you guys think....?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:36 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by shawn744
Or just spend 250 and gen an INJEN. I hear they're louder, and have more of a rumble at low RPMs...what do you guys think....?
is the Injen one a one-piece or a two-piece?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Kollage is funn!

Dark DJ- Most of the "race division" series INJEN intakes are one piece...SOME however are two piece.

Check out these sites.

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/3918

Lowest priced INJEN intake for a type s :

http://store.yahoo.com/hopup1/inradicoairi18.html

Hope this was helpful. -Shawn